Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 04-01-2008, 11:24 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey everyone,

First time posting so go easy on me. =]

I just finished reading up on how upconverting dvd players were a scam. Thankfully I knew this all along but the problem is that I did not know about the fact that all DVDs are 480i. CNET, states that DVDs are natively displayed at 480p.

I know that CNET is often shady about this stuff, but I have just put in component cables in my DVD player and want to know whether to put it in interlaced or progressive mode. I do realize that I should choose whichever one looks better, but I will be much more at ease knowing that I am outputting the native signal.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 04-02-2008, 01:46 AM
KMO
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
DVDs are 480i or 576i (at 60 or 50 fields per second). But they can store progressive 480p or 576p content (at 30/24 or 25 frames per second), and have some special flags and handling to do so.

Progressive output from the player is super for progressive film content if you have a progressive display, but if it's interlaced TV/video content then interlaced output will be the native form, and is what you'd want for accurate rendition if you have an interlace-capable display.

But if you've got one of those dodgy new flat-panel screens that can't do interlace, it's going to have to get deinterlaced at some point, so it's a question of finding the bit of kit with the best deinterlacer - the DVD player, the receiver or the display. The DVD player has a bit more info to go on because it can see the DVD flags, so in theory it could do a better job. In practice there are other quality factors - it'll tend to be the newest/most expensive bit of kit. So if it's a cheap DVD player connected to an expensive display/receiver, first try having the display or receiver do the deinterlacing and have interlaced output from the DVD. And vice versa.
post #3 of 6 Old 04-02-2008, 04:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 236 Post(s)
Liked: 457
Yes, the whole format is designed with Interlaced playback at the core, but like KMO said, there are encoding methods which can "hint" at the type of content and help playback on Progressive Scan devices.

David Mackenzie
Blu-ray Disc (and DVD) Compressionist/Author
US Correspondent & Tech Consultant, HDTVtest
ISF Certified Calibrator (Level 2) / THX Certified Professional (Video Calibration Level 2)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 04-02-2008, 04:38 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 4645 Post(s)
Liked: 4495
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwonye View Post

I just finished reading up on how upconverting dvd players were a scam.

That is a bit harsh. Certainly "oversold giving consumers false expectations" would be accurate.

Scaling of SD-DVD for an HD display has to be done somewhere, either in the player, the display, or some other box. The display is not always the best place to do it, so an upconverting player is not always a bad choice.

-Bill

Review older films here: 1979 and earlier | 1980s | 1990s | Combined reviews: Strange Picture Scroll
Unofficial OPPO FAQS: UDP-203 | BDP-103 | BDP-93 | BDP-83 | BDP-80    
post #5 of 6 Old 04-02-2008, 06:45 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMO View Post

DVDs are 480i or 576i (at 60 or 50 fields per second). But they can store progressive 480p or 576p content (at 30/24 or 25 frames per second), and have some special flags and handling to do so.

Progressive output from the player is super for progressive film content if you have a progressive display, but if it's interlaced TV/video content then interlaced output will be the native form, and is what you'd want for accurate rendition if you have an interlace-capable display.

But if you've got one of those dodgy new flat-panel screens that can't do interlace, it's going to have to get deinterlaced at some point, so it's a question of finding the bit of kit with the best deinterlacer - the DVD player, the receiver or the display. The DVD player has a bit more info to go on because it can see the DVD flags, so in theory it could do a better job. In practice there are other quality factors - it'll tend to be the newest/most expensive bit of kit. So if it's a cheap DVD player connected to an expensive display/receiver, first try having the display or receiver do the deinterlacing and have interlaced output from the DVD. And vice versa.

Is there a list somewhere that shows what DVDs have 480p data on them? I also thought all DVDs were 480p. I have about 100 DVDs and wonder how many have the extra progressive data.
post #6 of 6 Old 04-02-2008, 07:13 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 4645 Post(s)
Liked: 4495
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCT View Post

Is there a list somewhere that shows what DVDs have 480p data on them? I also thought all DVDs were 480p. I have about 100 DVDs and wonder how many have the extra progressive data.

I don't think there are any. See: http://dvddemystified.com/dvdfaq.html#3.8

-Bill

Review older films here: 1979 and earlier | 1980s | 1990s | Combined reviews: Strange Picture Scroll
Unofficial OPPO FAQS: UDP-203 | BDP-103 | BDP-93 | BDP-83 | BDP-80    
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DVD Players (Standard Def)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page