Pioneer Laserdisc fix help - Page 9 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 7Likes

post #241 of 264 Old 03-22-2019, 03:16 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by trailblazer View Post
Thanks for your followup..

I checked the ribbon cable on the DVD pickup and it looks good and not crimping anywhere when it comes out and returns. I had the unit at a Pioneer recommended service center but they could not fix it. Personally, I am not happy with Pioneer sending me to one of their service centers and they could not fix the issue. Don't know if the tech there was knowledgeable enough or did not want to spend the time to determine what was actually wrong and get the correct part, if that was still possible. With that said, since I cannot get parts to swap things out to get it to work, I'll put it out for someone if they need parts.
I could always use it for parts.

Kurtis
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #242 of 264 Old 06-04-2019, 01:30 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hi Kurtis, hope you are doing fine.

I removed the damaged (cut) ribbon cable from the laser assembly and with power off I closed manually the front tray. Now without the ribbon cable connected it doesn't open with poweron, so how do I manually oopen the front drawer/tray; I tried to remove the front panel without any luck, I broke one lower tab instead.
Player is the european CLD-D925.

Many thanks in advance!!!
post #243 of 264 Old 06-05-2019, 03:29 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by mipi View Post
Hi Kurtis, hope you are doing fine.

I removed the damaged (cut) ribbon cable from the laser assembly and with power off I closed manually the front tray. Now without the ribbon cable connected it doesn't open with poweron, so how do I manually oopen the front drawer/tray; I tried to remove the front panel without any luck, I broke one lower tab instead.
Player is the european CLD-D925.

Many thanks in advance!!!
You will see a pulley at the very front power supply side under the tray. Turning that one way opens the tray, the other will lift the mechanism.
mipi likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #244 of 264 Old 06-05-2019, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurtis Bahr View Post
You will see a pulley at the very front power supply side under the tray. Turning that one way opens the tray, the other will lift the mechanism.

Many thanks Kurtis! I opened it very easily this way. You are king!

By the way, do you know if the 925 uses the same laser assembly or pick-up with other players (maybe the CLD-D515 or the S315; The brown safety tab that locks the ribbon cable on the laser assembly is broken
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1805100039resized.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	1.15 MB
ID:	2576378  
post #245 of 264 Old 06-05-2019, 05:18 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
Many thanks Kurtis! I opened it very easily this way. You are king!

By the way, do you know if the 925 uses the same laser assembly or pick-up with other players (maybe the CLD-D515 or the S315; The brown safety tab that locks the ribbon cable on the laser assembly is broken
This laser is used in all of the latest versions of the CLD and DVL player except for the CLD-D704, CLD-99, CLD-79, LD-S9 and HLD-X9 type players. The older players used a totally different pickup.
mipi likes this.
post #246 of 264 Old 06-05-2019, 10:09 PM

Thank you very much for the reply. If these used the same laser assembly then maybe I could find a damaged or not working player just for parts. The brown safety tab I have broken is the one pictured, do you know if I can take this out easily from another pickup assembly if I find one;
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCF3325.JPG
Views:	13
Size:	4.55 MB
ID:	2576558   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF3324.JPG
Views:	10
Size:	4.55 MB
ID:	2576560  
post #247 of 264 Old 06-06-2019, 03:20 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
Thank you very much for the reply. If these used the same laser assembly then maybe I could find a damaged or not working player just for parts. The brown safety tab I have broken is the one pictured, do you know if I can take this out easily from another pickup assembly if I find one;
The part that broke is a guide. You can slip it in at the proper place and it will hold the ribbon cable. The flat bar at the back is what makes the pressure for proper contact. If you want a complete one they are pretty easy to remove.
post #248 of 264 Old 06-06-2019, 10:22 PM

Thank you very much, you are very helpful! A living laserdisc player library!
I asked by phone a technician in Pioneer service here in Greece with both of us looking at the service manual but he had no idea of that part which one was for sure. He said it should be the number 59 Carriage Assy which is Part No. VWT1110 59 on page 9 and 10 of the service manual on paragraph 2.6 Servo Mechanism Section. Of course from the diagram picture you can't be sure and he generally had no idea on laserdisc players, but on paragraph 2.8 Carriage Assy on page 12 I see it writes that the small board with the ribbon cable connector where the broken guide is on it, has no service part no. It seems this part goes together with the laser.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	pages 9-10.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	744.3 KB
ID:	2576992   Click image for larger version

Name:	pages 11-13.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	660.9 KB
ID:	2576996  
post #249 of 264 Old 06-07-2019, 04:56 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

I’m on vacation but VWT1110 sounds right. VWT1141 is the DVL version that would have the improved MHolder.
post #250 of 264 Old 08-09-2019, 12:24 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Hi all,

I have found my Pioneer CLD-2750K LD player having video playback problems and am looking for your kind help. As you can see in the attached photo, the picture shows evenly distributed faded lines, in fact the lines scroll up or down or remain stationary or go away momentarily. Sometimes the lines are thicker, sometimes thinner. After googling, this phenomenon should be 60Hz video interference (video hum). On top of that, towards the very last few chapters, few horizontal color lines are shown also (like what the attached photo displays). These color noises resembles what Pioneer Tuning Fork Video describes as "jitter", which should be corrected by the CCD servo. Whether I attempted to tweak the "14MHz master clock adjust pot" (VC901) by trial and error without frequency counter, or to tweak the "PLL offset pot" also by trial and error in order to make the player's circuit to be in sync with the RF signal, no luck. Should I suspect some capacitors in the power supply being faulty, which fail to filter out the 60Hz signal, or should I suspect something else? I would be grateful if anyone gives advice on the issue, thank you!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Video Hum &  Jitter.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	622.8 KB
ID:	2601092  
post #251 of 264 Old 08-10-2019, 12:48 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

I would first try turning up the RF level to see if that helps. Also does it happen with all discs or only this one? Is this a CAV or CLV recorded disc.
post #252 of 264 Old 08-10-2019, 09:25 AM

Quote:
I would first try turning up the RF level to see if that helps. Also does it happen with all discs or only this one? Is this a CAV or CLV recorded disc.
Hi Kurtis, thanks again for your expert advice. I attempted to follow your suggestion to turn up the RF level, unfortunately the pot is not provided in CLD-2750K, probably because it is a low-end model. I've got another important observation: When the blue screen shows up (e.g. 1. right after the player is turned on, 2. the tray is being opened or closed, 3. searching chapters, 4. stop playback, etc), the blue screen also shows evenly distributed scrolling or stationary horizontal lines.

Attached herewith is a photo showing the picture of opening credit of another karaoke LD. The horizontal lines are obvious in a black background. The LD's are CLV recorded discs. I think it happens with all discs. Thank you so much!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Video Hum 2.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	1.41 MB
ID:	2601492  
post #253 of 264 Old 08-10-2019, 10:54 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

You need to look for ground loops in your system cabling, maybe a bad video cable. For these lines. I don’t think this is a tilt or tangential angle issue from the description or picture. Every U.S. LD player I’ve seen from Pioneer has a RF Gain adjustment. You could try the tilt but remember where it is at before you turn it. But I really think this is power or video cabling.
post #254 of 264 Old 08-11-2019, 03:07 PM

Hi Kurtis, thank you again for your great tips. I have two other LD players (Panasonic LX-V850 and Denon LA-V200G) and they work well without showing the horizontal lines. I use the same composite video cable (Kansai 5C-FB) and the same detachable AC power cord with the same AC socket for the three LD players, only the Pioneer CLD-2750K shows background horizontal lines. The chassis of CLD-2750K is not grounded. Yes I have tried tweaking the tilt pot before and it produces much cleaner pictures after adjustment, though still having horizontal lines problem. Should I replace the capacitor(s) responsible for smoothing out the rectified ac power on the power supply board?

The reason why I've got so many LD players is due to my curiosity. In 1994 I own my first LD Player (Panasonic LX-K550EN) (39W). The picture is very noisy and especially conspicous when the picture background is white. Last year I own a second-hand Panasonic LX-V180EN (32W) (manufactured in 1995). The picture is much cleaner, though the sound too much emphasizes high frequency part (too bright). Then I purchased a second-hand Panasonic LX-V850 (manufactured in 1996). This time the PQ of LX-V850 (42W) is the cleanest of the three, also the blue and green color is solid instead of showing "cross pattern". The sound quality is nice also. Therefore I use LX-V850 for LD recording to a capture card (Compro C100, SAA7134 chip). At that time I have neither Pioneer nor Sony LD players and out of my curiosity I bought the following second-hand players from users of hifi forums in order to compare their PQ with LX-V850:

1. Denon LA-V200G (bought as junk unit)(manufactured in 1997, similar to CLD-D406 without optical output but with VCD playback) - I found the tray cannot be opened. It's a common U1 error and I clean up the loading belt with q-tip and alcohol. The problem is solved. However, only CD's and 8" LD's can be played. For 12" LD's, either the player has problems of searching tracks or the PQ is terrible. I read your suggestions in a forum that the power supply needs recap. I'll do that, thanks!

2. Sony MDP-V90K (bought from a user, claimed as functioning normally) - I found the picture is quite noisy and "digital". I will tweak the tilt pot first to see if there's any improvement.

3. Pioneer CLD-HF9G (bought from a user, claimed as having U1 error) (manufactured in 1995) - I scrub the loading belt and the pulleys with q-tips and alcohol, but U1 still appears. I then buy a packet of 1" (diameter) rubber bands (maybe 500pcs inside) for about 2 bucks. After replacement the player's tray can be opened and it works for CD's. For LD playback I noticed the spindle motor cannot get to the speed or spin for a few seconds and then slow down and spins in the opposite direction. Of course no video comes out. A few days ago when I played an LD, it spins slowly and suddenly I hear a spark and noticed a flash and the unit is off. The fuse is blown. I've checked the power board but the model number is not PWR-1200A, it's VWR-1249A. After I refer to your suggestion in a forum, the arc suppressor (D6) may be shorted and should have its one end clipped. Unfortunately VWR-1249A does not have a D6.

4. Pioneer CLD-D99 (bought from a user, claimed as failure of reading disks) (manufactured in 1996) - The unit shows U2 error. I agree with you that the user has attempted to repair the unit before because when I removed the video board at the top, it found the flexible cables are messy, which should be neatly bundled. Maybe I should suspect bad contact of flexible / ribbon cables, especially the one connecting the mother board and the display panel.

5. Pioneer CLD-95 (bought as a junk unit) - It cannot play LD's at first. Then I played CD's for testing and to my surprise it works. Then I played LD's again and it did play. Is it due to the spindle motor gets stuck due to being idle for years? Is it the case when playing LD's at first, it does not have enough torque to spin up the "stuck" spindle motor but when playing much lighter CD's, it has the enough torque to spin up? The unit has two incidences of generating repeated loud clicking noises. I suspect that is gear clicking noise coming from the moving carriage assembly. I will try lubricating the metal rod and the tooth of the white plastic track with white grease. Unfortunately the PQ is mediocre, maybe I need to adjust the laser alignment first.

According to the above observations, I do not find any problems with Panasonic LD players. Both the power units and the loading belts work great even after 25 years of service. Maybe the former users have replaced the parts before but I bet not. Do you agree that Panasonic uses more durable caps and loading belts than what Pioneer did for LD players?

I have uploaded an LD Karaoke clip (the LD manufactured in 1990, recorded in MPG format) captured using Panasonic LX-V850 with composite output to Compro C100 for your reference (220MB, 3min). It does have video noise but I think it is minimal.

Video link: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Vyi...BNURGvgdi/view
(Just download it and play in a quality player. The embedded google media player may be not good for playback)
post #255 of 264 Old 08-11-2019, 11:01 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

The Sony players have a reputation of being grainy. For servicing they require special test jigs to adjust which I don’t have. I also don’t care to find a test jig due to grainy video and lower reliability.

Pioneer verses Panasonic players. Both make good players. Panasonic dropped all support and parts around the year 2000 so no replacement parts are available. For servicing the last series of players switched a lot of the adjustable resistors to electronic registers and they cannot accept custom settings.

The Pioneer players still have limited part support and are more service friendly to fix. The HF9G and D99 do not have the arc suppressor, it is in the lower models like your Denon. The HF9G and D99 Will need the load belt replaced and the spindle motor grip ring replaced or coated with Plastic-DIP at some point but the maintenance for these players is well know. The +5VDC and -5VDC capacitors in the power supply need replacing on some. That is probably what happened with yours. Pioneer units are make more service friendly and easier to tweak in the best picture. The 95 does not suffer from these issues with the HF9G and D99, I’d say yours is just aging, usually the click your are talking about is the laser lens jumping up and hitting the disc surface as it is trying to get a reflection to read the disc.

Conclusion, if you have a good working Panasonic player they are good units, non-working players are not recommended. Don’t mess with the Sony NTSC or PAL units. With Pioneer you need to know the quirks and know when to do when they occur and they are also good units.
post #256 of 264 Old 08-12-2019, 02:34 PM

Hi Kurtis, thank you so much for your detailed explanation of the issues I encounter and the manufacturers' status of supporting their LD players. Yes, I do have spindle motor clamp slippage problem for my HF9G. I have already scrubbed the grip ring twice with q-tip and alcohol. It helps but LD's still slip occasionally. Maybe I will follow your advice to coat the grip ring with Plastic-DIP to increase friction. For the upper clamp, do we need any cleaning or lubrication of the ball bearings? Also thank you for pointing out that some +-5V DC capacitors need to be replaced in my HF9G's power supply. Hopefully I will get some of the Pioneer players up and running after repair and see how well they perform.
post #257 of 264 Old 08-12-2019, 11:29 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

You can put some lithium grease on the ball bearing but it normally will be fine. Only seen 1 ball bearing issue in 10 years.
post #258 of 264 Old 08-13-2019, 11:09 AM

Hi Kurtis, I'm so indebted to your invaluable advice and your kindness of sharing your professional knowledge with me and other members. I learn and benefit a lot from you. It seems to me that repair of LD players becomes a hobby at this moment and hopefully it can give me a sense of satisfaction and fun for any successful repair attempts as well as having an excellent video output for LD capturing. Thank you!
zeuspaul and bguzman like this.
post #259 of 264 Old 09-11-2019, 08:11 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
919 operator s manual

hi does any one have a copy of the dvl 919 user manual i`m looking for one. i`m new on here and i am surprised too see how popular LD still are to this day. i just bought a pioneer dvl-919 european model with the gold/silver color or what ever the color it is. it`s an awesome thing to look at that`s for sure. i think i had the common black model as well once but sold it off years ago. what`s cool about this model it has the switch to play pal/ntsc LD i have never seen this style before until i checked it out through various on line videos.
post #260 of 264 Old 09-12-2019, 06:01 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by generalgrevious View Post
hi does any one have a copy of the dvl 919 user manual i`m looking for one. i`m new on here and i am surprised too see how popular LD still are to this day. i just bought a pioneer dvl-919 european model with the gold/silver color or what ever the color it is. it`s an awesome thing to look at that`s for sure. i think i had the common black model as well once but sold it off years ago. what`s cool about this model it has the switch to play pal/ntsc LD i have never seen this style before until i checked it out through various on line videos.
You could join lddb.com and get one there or try to order one from Pioneer. I believe the Pioneer part number is VRE1076.
post #261 of 264 Old 09-13-2019, 08:41 PM

too bad there wasn`t away you can update these old pioneer dvl-919 firmware to today`s firmware that would be neat to do.
post #262 of 264 Old 09-13-2019, 08:43 PM

Quote:
You could join lddb.com and get one there or try to order one from Pioneer. I believe the Pioneer part number is VRE1076.
thanks kurtis i did find a copy on the lddb.com and printed it out. man was that a thick stack of paper almost a paper back book but thanks for that.
post #263 of 264 Old 10-05-2019, 11:46 AM

i wonder if there is a way to up date the firmware on these old dvl-919 players? it would be awesome if you could.
post #264 of 264 Old 10-07-2019, 05:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1775 Post(s)
Liked: 899
Quote:
Originally Posted by generalgrevious View Post
i wonder if there is a way to up date the firmware on these old dvl-919 players? it would be awesome if you could.

Not sure what good an update would do (or what you want to update): LDs have no embedded software and DVDs were stable early on. The days of "disc compatibility" updates were really a BD thing.

Yamaha RX-A2050 AVR [v1.81], LG 65EF9500 4K OLED [v4.26.00]
5.0.2 set-up: (4) Polk Monitor 10B's, (2) Polk Monitor 4's, Polk CS300 center
B&O TX2 Turntable, Nakamichi Cassette Deck 1
Pioneer CLD-99 LD, Panasonic DMP-UB900 UHD [v1.80]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DVD Players (Standard Def)

Tags
Pioneer , Pioneer Brand , Pioneer Electronics

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page