Looks like my Oppo DV-981HD Fried! - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 65 Old 11-03-2010, 04:04 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
70383roadrunner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 147
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Came home today and it looked like the player was on but looking closer there were 2-X's in the display window and it would not power up. Even the power light looked a pink color instead of red. Put my hand on top of the unit where the power switch is and it was very hot. Think the power supply is fried! Unplugging it and plugging it in again didn't do anything. I was using this as a CD player because I bought a bluray player. If I used this player once a week for the past 2 years that was a lot. Don't think I will be buying anymore Oppo products anytime soon.
70383roadrunner is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 65 Old 11-03-2010, 05:30 PM
Advanced Member
 
SaxCatz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Dry Dry Desert, AZ
Posts: 518
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm sorry to hear this. Its definitely a bummer!
However, I wouldn't avoid Oppo products based on this bad experience. By most accounts, Oppo makes great products built to a much higher standard that most other manufacturers. Keep in mind, every company makes a faulty product from time to time.
SaxCatz is offline  
post #3 of 65 Old 11-03-2010, 08:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
moxie1617's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Chicago Metro
Posts: 2,294
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Another thing to remember is that they have a flat rate repair service. E-mail or give them a call.
moxie1617 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 65 Old 11-04-2010, 06:46 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
70383roadrunner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 147
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by moxie1617 View Post

Another thing to remember is that they have a flat rate repair service. E-mail or give them a call.

Thanks. I will give them a call. Darn thing is only a couple years old.
70383roadrunner is offline  
post #5 of 65 Old 11-04-2010, 10:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 9,938
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Funny, in this day and age, a couple of years is actually a decent lifetime for electronics. Most of the time, if they outlast the warranty period, anything beyond that is considered "gravy." The days of buying something electronic and being able to include it in your will are long gone.

Oppos are somewhat different, though and they should last a bit longer than a few years, admittedly.

Don't believe everything on the Interwebz! A duck's quack DOES echo!
Tulpa is offline  
post #6 of 65 Old 11-04-2010, 07:30 PM
Newbie
 
zdravez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by 70383roadrunner View Post

Came home today and it looked like the player was on but looking closer there were 2-X's in the display window and it would not power up. Even the power light looked a pink color instead of red. Put my hand on top of the unit where the power switch is and it was very hot. Think the power supply is fried! Unplugging it and plugging it in again didn't do anything.

Had exactly the same thing happening to me today..... Unit was getting hot for some time, but i thought it was from other components in my AV cabinet...alas ... It turned out to be the Oppo.
It is only 3 or 4 years old and has been used very sparingly .... i would say 50 times at most for its life time... For a high end wanna be it should last 10+ years with moderate use... I was eying the BDP-93 ... but i have second thoughts now... oh well...

I did open the player and found out that a capacitor from the Power Supply board had exploded and 2-3 more capacitors are deformed... the board is burned around the faulty components.

I tried searching for spare parts for this unit online, but with no luck... any suggestions where can i buy a spare PSU board for this unit?

Thanks!

Zdravez
zdravez is offline  
post #7 of 65 Old 11-04-2010, 07:52 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
rdgrimes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Nuevo Mexico
Posts: 21,428
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3692 Post(s)
Liked: 2850
Quote:
Originally Posted by zdravez View Post

I tried searching for spare parts for this unit online, but with no luck... any suggestions where can i buy a spare PSU board for this unit?

Thanks!

Zdravez

Have you considered asking Oppo?
rdgrimes is offline  
post #8 of 65 Old 11-04-2010, 09:42 PM
 
Zenyatto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 514
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Duh?
When the beat goes on...
Zenyatto is offline  
post #9 of 65 Old 11-05-2010, 07:04 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
70383roadrunner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 147
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by zdravez View Post

Had exactly the same thing happening to me today..... Unit was getting hot for some time, but i thought it was from other components in my AV cabinet...alas ... It turned out to be the Oppo.
It is only 3 or 4 years old and has been used very sparingly .... i would say 50 times at most for its life time... For a high end wanna be it should last 10+ years with moderate use... I was eying the BDP-93 ... but i have second thoughts now... oh well...

I did open the player and found out that a capacitor from the Power Supply board had exploded and 2-3 more capacitors are deformed... the board is burned around the faulty components.

I tried searching for spare parts for this unit online, but with no luck... any suggestions where can i buy a spare PSU board for this unit?

Thanks!

Zdravez



I emailed Oppo and within 10 minutes I got a response. They gave me a couple suggestions but they didn't work. They also sent me the link for repair service and was suprised that it was only $49 plus shipping to them. Unit still has no display with only a few characters showing and the tray will not open and the unit is very hot on top. For $49 I will be shipping it back for repair. I did check and the unit is 3 years old. Here is the email I got back from them:


John,

Please try the following:

1. Physically disconnect the OPPO DVD player from the power source for no less than 15 minutes. Press the Power button on the front panel for 3 seconds.
2. Reconnect the power directly to your walled power outlet, bypassing any power switch or conditioner.
3. Re-Download and install the latest firmware release (http://www.oppodigital.com/dv981hd/d...re-20-0722.asp).
4. Clean the bottom of your disc with a non-abrasive cloth.
5. Blow a little compressed air into the DVD unit.

Attempt playback again. If your unit still does not properly operate, then your unit will likely need to be recalled for repair servicing.

An Out of Warranty Repair for the DV-981HD will cost $49.00 plus shipping to us. This fee will cover all parts, labor, and return shipping to domestic United States addresses. You can purchase an Out of Warranty Repair Service at: http://oppodigital.com/proddetail.asp?prod=RSDV981HD

You can ignore the RMA field. Once we have received your order you will receive a return shipping authorization and instructions within 24 hours.

Best Regards,

Customer Service
OPPO Digital, Inc.
2629B Terminal Blvd.
Mountain View, CA 94043
[email protected]
Tel: 650-961-1118
Fax: 650-961-1119
70383roadrunner is offline  
post #10 of 65 Old 11-05-2010, 07:27 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
70383roadrunner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 147
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulpa View Post

Funny, in this day and age, a couple of years is actually a decent lifetime for electronics. Most of the time, if they outlast the warranty period, anything beyond that is considered "gravy." The days of buying something electronic and being able to include it in your will are long gone.

Oppos are somewhat different, though and they should last a bit longer than a few years, admittedly.

I just got rid of a Sony CD player I bought in the early 80's that still worked fine. I guess that they were still made in Japan then. I had no problems with it. I only got rid of it because it wouldn't play cd-r discs.

I think the problem with the Oppo is that it is in stby mode all the time when not powered up. I never liked that feature and I will ask them if it can be turned completely off when not in use. I don't think it really extends the life of the componets anyway.
70383roadrunner is offline  
post #11 of 65 Old 11-05-2010, 09:23 AM
Senior Member
 
Jeffredo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Oroville, California
Posts: 234
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Oppo's very good about out-of-warranty repair.
Jeffredo is offline  
post #12 of 65 Old 11-05-2010, 10:15 AM
Newbie
 
zdravez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by 70383roadrunner View Post
I emailed Oppo and within 10 minutes I got a response. They gave me a couple suggestions but they didn't work. They also sent me the link for repair service and was suprised that it was only $49 plus shipping to them.
I did talk to Oppo customer support too. The technician suggested sending the unit instead of buying and installing the PSU board myself. For $49...I'll be sending my unit too. The PSU short might have damaged other electronics too... The charge from oppop is fair and reasonable.
zdravez is offline  
post #13 of 65 Old 11-05-2010, 12:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
moxie1617's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Chicago Metro
Posts: 2,294
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by 70383roadrunner View Post

I just got rid of a Sony CD player I bought in the early 80's that still worked fine. I guess that they were still made in Japan then. I had no problems with it. I only got rid of it because it wouldn't play cd-r discs.

I think the problem with the Oppo is that it is in stby mode all the time when not powered up. I never liked that feature and I will ask them if it can be turned completely off when not in use. I don't think it really extends the life of the componets anyway.

Thanks for reminding me about the standby feature. I use a autoswitching powerstrip/surge suppressor for a couple of components and will move my Oppo to the switched outlet. Might get a few more years out if it that way.

moxie1617 is offline  
post #14 of 65 Old 11-05-2010, 02:38 PM
Newbie
 
make believe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by 70383roadrunner View Post

I think the problem with the Oppo is that it is in stby mode all the time when not powered up. I never liked that feature and I will ask them if it can be turned completely off when not in use. I don't think it really extends the life of the componets anyway.

Sorry if this is a dumb question but why would this be a bad thing? So when you power the unit off and the red light comes on, it is actually only on standby and not really powered off? I'm curious because if this indeed can cause more harm than good I will switch my player to a strip where I can be sure it is indeed powered off when not in use.
make believe is offline  
post #15 of 65 Old 11-05-2010, 05:13 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
70383roadrunner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 147
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by zdravez View Post

Had exactly the same thing happening to me today..... Unit was getting hot for some time, but i thought it was from other components in my AV cabinet...alas ... It turned out to be the Oppo.
It is only 3 or 4 years old and has been used very sparingly .... i would say 50 times at most for its life time... For a high end wanna be it should last 10+ years with moderate use... I was eying the BDP-93 ... but i have second thoughts now... oh well...

I did open the player and found out that a capacitor from the Power Supply board had exploded and 2-3 more capacitors are deformed... the board is burned around the faulty components.

I tried searching for spare parts for this unit online, but with no luck... any suggestions where can i buy a spare PSU board for this unit?

Thanks!

Zdravez

I opened mine today just to check and there it was on the front of the power supply a cap leaked and a grey resister next to it was touching and you could see the brown discoloration on the green circuit board where they fried.
70383roadrunner is offline  
post #16 of 65 Old 11-22-2010, 02:09 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
70383roadrunner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 147
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Shipped it back to Oppo today. Hope they have short turnaround.
70383roadrunner is offline  
post #17 of 65 Old 11-22-2010, 04:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
moxie1617's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Chicago Metro
Posts: 2,294
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by 70383roadrunner View Post

Shipped it back to Oppo today. Hope they have short turnaround.

My own experience was same day turnaround. The longest I have read about is one day.
moxie1617 is offline  
post #18 of 65 Old 11-22-2010, 05:55 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
70383roadrunner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 147
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by moxie1617 View Post

My own experience was same day turnaround. The longest I have read about is one day.

It should be. There are only like 3 PC boards inside. Pretty easy to swap out.
70383roadrunner is offline  
post #19 of 65 Old 11-22-2010, 05:59 PM
Member
 
Sheer Lunacy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: AE5VI
Posts: 189
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulpa View Post

Funny, in this day and age, a couple of years is actually a decent lifetime for electronics. Most of the time, if they outlast the warranty period, anything beyond that is considered "gravy." The days of buying something electronic and being able to include it in your will are long gone.

Anything with RoHS on it has been produced using pure tin instead of lead-tin solder, in accordance with European Union hazardous materials directives. Of course, anybody who knows anything about metallurgy knows that, within 3 to 5 years, those items are likely to be toast. Tin whiskers, anyone?

(There are other RoHS compliant solders out there I recall reading about one containing indium but to the best of my knowledge none is in actual use.)

Guide to connecting your LaserDisc Player  NTSC, PAL, & MUSE
MUSE decoder information, including user guides for Sony MST-2000 and Victor HV-MD2 / Mitsubishi MD-CZ11

Sheer Lunacy is offline  
post #20 of 65 Old 11-23-2010, 06:45 AM
Newbie
 
zdravez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by 70383roadrunner View Post

Shipped it back to Oppo today. Hope they have short turnaround.

I've got mine back pretty fast. I do not think that it was kept at the repair facility for more than 2 days.... I am happy.. for $49 i think it is a good deal (I saw someone paying $50+(not including shipping) on ebay for a toast unit.....)
zdravez is offline  
post #21 of 65 Old 11-24-2010, 07:19 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
70383roadrunner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 147
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by zdravez View Post

I've got mine back pretty fast. I do not think that it was kept at the repair facility for more than 2 days.... I am happy.. for $49 i think it is a good deal (I saw someone paying $50+(not including shipping) on ebay for a toast unit.....)


I saw the exact same listing on ebay.
70383roadrunner is offline  
post #22 of 65 Old 11-30-2010, 06:04 PM
Senior Member
 
scubie02's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 479
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Mine did the same thing yesterday, has not even been on in I don't know when, just noticed the lights all on in my rack. People keep saying "the Chinese are capable of making good stuff now" but you can't tell by me. Why should we pay for something that is obviously a know defect? They won't get another $49 or any more money from me ever for their junk. Why are people so willing to give them MORE money to fix a player they paid 6x more for than many others? No more oppo's for me.

Well, I've been to one world fair, a picnic, and a rodeo, and that's the stupidest thing I ever heard come over a set of earphones.
scubie02 is offline  
post #23 of 65 Old 12-01-2010, 06:37 AM
Newbie
 
zdravez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:


Why are people so willing to give them MORE money to fix a player they paid 6x more for than many others?

To answer your question: Some times ago I bought a receiver from Yamaha for close to $1,700.00. When less than a year after my purchase, the POS went bust, I called Yamaha for help and was told that they will not service my receiver, because it was not purchased from an authorized dealer (which it was!) ... any ways i was forced to buy the part from Yamaha (they gladly sold it to me ... for $500).... how is this customer service? A Yamaha rep even threatened me with jail ("if you lived in California you could be jailed for buying gray market items" he said). My point is: "reputable" companies are almost never the real deal and the consumer satisfaction is never their priority .... Oppo at least stands behind its products and if they manufactured them they will service them. They will service products out of warranty for nominal fee irregardless of what the repair entails or how many times a given product changed its owner. ...
The above does not mean that i am happy with a 3 year old product going up in smoke; being charged for repairs etc. ... but at least i have some comfort knowing that my DVD will be fixed without having to pay arm and a leg for out of warranty repair.

Of course if the problem with the power supply board turns out to be a recall issue I would expect refund from Oppo ...
zdravez is offline  
post #24 of 65 Old 12-01-2010, 09:00 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
70383roadrunner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 147
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by zdravez View Post

To answer your question: Some times ago I bought a receiver from Yamaha for close to $1,700.00. When less than a year after my purchase, the POS went bust, I called Yamaha for help and was told that they will not service my receiver, because it was not purchased from an authorized dealer (which it was!) ... any ways i was forced to buy the part from Yamaha (they gladly sold it to me ... for $500).... how is this customer service? A Yamaha rep even threatened me with jail ("if you lived in California you could be jailed for buying gray market items" he said). My point is: "reputable" companies are almost never the real deal and the consumer satisfaction is never their priority .... Oppo at least stands behind its products and if they manufactured them they will service them. They will service products out of warranty for nominal fee irregardless of what the repair entails or how many times a given product changed its owner. ...
The above does not mean that i am happy with a 3 year old product going up in smoke; being charged for repairs etc. ... but at least i have some comfort knowing that my DVD will be fixed without having to pay arm and a leg for out of warranty repair.

Of course if the problem with the power supply board turns out to be a recall issue I would expect refund from Oppo ...

Well it appears to me from the couple people that have answered having the same problem that this is indeed a problem with the PS board. They did receive it yesterday. I got an email fom them saying 1-2 day turnaround. Even so I doubt very seriously that they will be doing the repair for free. It is 3 years old and out of warranty. I never heard of or read any recalls.
70383roadrunner is offline  
post #25 of 65 Old 12-01-2010, 10:06 AM
 
Zenyatto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 514
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 20
For what's worth:
1. I have three Oppo's:981, 983 and the 83>ZERO problems.
2. I still have a Pioneer Elite DV-05>still kicking despite a fairly high mileage!
3. Panasonic DMP-BD30K(my first BD player)-it has a few miles, it's still kicking...
I'm just saying...
Zenyatto is offline  
post #26 of 65 Old 12-02-2010, 07:58 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
70383roadrunner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 147
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Well I got the tracking number today. They got the unit on Tuesday. Today Thursday it is shipping back to be. 2 day turnaround. Not too shabby!
70383roadrunner is offline  
post #27 of 65 Old 12-02-2010, 10:53 AM
 
Zenyatto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 514
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Thank...
Zenyatto is offline  
post #28 of 65 Old 12-02-2010, 11:28 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
rdgrimes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Nuevo Mexico
Posts: 21,428
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3692 Post(s)
Liked: 2850
Quote:
Originally Posted by 70383roadrunner View Post

Well I got the tracking number today. They got the unit on Tuesday. Today Thursday it is shipping back to be. 2 day turnaround. Not too shabby!

2 days? That's slow for Oppo. Somebody must have been off sick.
rdgrimes is offline  
post #29 of 65 Old 12-02-2010, 03:17 PM
 
Zenyatto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 514
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 20
I guess I'm wrong. I thought this Oppo 981 soap opera drama was over with....
Zenyatto is offline  
post #30 of 65 Old 12-08-2010, 05:20 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
70383roadrunner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 147
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Player came back from Oppo yesterday. They replaced the PS Board and the Front Panel board. Cranked up some music cd's with the Carver M1.0T and CT-7 and it sounded great. Don't use it as a dvd anymore because I have a bluray. Sure hate to sell the Carver stuff and buy a home theatre system. I never will see 200 watts per channel in a home theatre system that would sound as good as the Carver I can afford! And the Carver is 20 years old and never needed service.
70383roadrunner is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply DVD Players (Standard Def)

Tags
Oppo Dv 981hd Universal Dvd Player With Hdmi 1080p Up Converting Divx Sacd

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off