Video File Format that will work with my old DVD player? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 04-10-2014, 12:01 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
We have an old Panasonic DVD-R32 DVD Player.

I have a MP4 file I need to convert to be able to play the DVD-R in this player.

I have a Wondershare Video Converter and my video FILE format choices are: MOV, MP4, WMV, AVI, M4V, MPEG-2, DivX, MKV, MPEG-1, DV, VOB, 3GP, 3GP2,WebM, ASF.

Out of these choices what WILL play on this old DVD player?

I live in cave under a rock.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 04-10-2014, 03:28 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 888 Post(s)
Liked: 340

MPEG-2 is what you want, it's the DVD standard. You'll also probably want to stick with -R discs, older players are known to not play + or RW disc types.

post #3 of 7 Old 04-11-2014, 05:21 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 4687 Post(s)
Liked: 4562
Also, note that most DVD players were limited to the maximum resolution of media files they would accept. If your first experiments with mpeg2 don't work, try to scale your images so that they fit within an aperture 720 pixels wide and 480 high.

Looking here: http://www.wondershare.net/dvd-burner/convert-mp4-to-dvds.html, that product has a "convert to DVD Video" function which will do what you want. It should produce a VIDEO_TS directory structure with VOB files and other things inside it. This the same format commercial DVDs use.

-Bill

Review older films here: 1979 and earlier | 1980s | 1990s | Combined reviews: Strange Picture Scroll
Unofficial OPPO FAQS: UDP-203 | BDP-103 | BDP-93 | BDP-83 | BDP-80    
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 04-11-2014, 11:16 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 888 Post(s)
Liked: 340

Good point, and one other caveat I thought you were going at first is some older DVD players had issues with DVDs that exceeded 10Mbps(the DVD standard max). I know I had a old Apex player that refused to play but + format disc, RW discs and also burnt -R DVDs that exceeded 10Mbps.

post #5 of 7 Old 07-20-2018, 03:31 AM

Liked: 0
As we know, most old DVD players only support DVD video on DVD disc, they cannot play any video file not to mention MP4 file. Later, some DVD players can play video files on DVD disc. Even later, many DVD players come with USB ports, users can attach USB drive to it, and it can search and play video files on it. However, the video formats they support are very limited. Because DVD video is some kind of MPEG-2 video, this format is supported by nearly all DVD players. MP4 is newer than AVI format, some players doesn't support MP4 but support AVI. Hence, to play MP4 on DVD Players, we suggest you convert MP4 file to DVD-Players-sensible formats like the MPEG or AVI format.

So your issue becomes to converting MP4 to MPEG or AVI format. To do it, I recommend HandBrake: https://handbrake.fr/

If you are a Windows user, try Format Factory.
post #6 of 7 Old 07-20-2018, 03:32 AM

Liked: 0
As we know, most old DVD players only support DVD video on DVD disc, they cannot play any video file not to mention MP4 file. Later, some DVD players can play video files on DVD disc. Even later, many DVD players come with USB ports, users can attach USB drive to it, and it can search and play video files on it. However, the video formats they support are very limited. Because DVD video is some kind of MPEG-2 video, this format is supported by nearly all DVD players. MP4 is newer than AVI format, some players doesn't support MP4 but support AVI. Hence, to play MP4 on DVD Players, we suggest you convert MP4 file to DVD-Players-sensible formats like the MPEG or AVI format.

So your issue becomes to converting MP4 to MPEG or AVI format. To do it, I recommend HandBrake: https://handbrake.fr/

If you are a Windows user, try Format Factory.
post #7 of 7 Old 07-20-2018, 02:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 958 Post(s)
Liked: 528
You probably mean Panasonic DVD-RV32. List of Video Disc Types it supports are on pg 24 in Operations Manual:
ftp://ftp.panasonic.com/dvdplayer/om/dvd-rv32_en_om.pdf
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DVD Players (Standard Def)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page