LaserDisc Player with DVD Player - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
View Poll Results: Best Pioneer LaserDisc Players
LD-S2 0 0%
CLD-1750 0 0%
CLD-D505 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 Old 12-24-2015, 12:10 PM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
TRoss68's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Smile LaserDisc Player with DVD Player

In the next couple of months, I'm looking to get a LaserDisc player that also plays DVD (if that is possible) I was wondering what were the last good laserDiscs that were made and did they also have DVD capabilities? I'm keeping an eye on eBay for them and I came across three Pioneer ones. I would also appreciate some feedback about all of this. The Pioneers that I found were: LD-S2, CLD-1750 and CLD-505. What do you guys think?
TRoss68 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 13 Old 12-24-2015, 03:02 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold
 
Kurtis Bahr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 975
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRoss68 View Post
In the next couple of months, I'm looking to get a LaserDisc player that also plays DVD (if that is possible) I was wondering what were the last good laserDiscs that were made and did they also have DVD capabilities? I'm keeping an eye on eBay for them and I came across three Pioneer ones. I would also appreciate some feedback about all of this. The Pioneers that I found were: LD-S2, CLD-1750 and CLD-505. What do you guys think?
If you want a LD player that also plays DVD you need a DVL series player. I'd suggest the DVL-909 or DVL-919. These are good for both but you can get separate units
Kurtis Bahr is offline  
post #3 of 13 Old 12-24-2015, 09:16 PM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
TRoss68's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurtis Bahr View Post
If you want a LD player that also plays DVD you need a DVL series player. I'd suggest the DVL-909 or DVL-919. These are good for both but you can get separate units
Thank you Kurtis. This sounds great. I will search eBay.
TRoss68 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 13 Old 12-28-2015, 03:26 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 15
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 1
The only problem that you might have is every LD/DVD unit that I gave has trouble playing DVD's burned on a computer or a DVR. They seem to have no problem with commercially manufactured DVD's.
Charlescollier is offline  
post #5 of 13 Old 05-29-2016, 10:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Rich86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: USA - California
Posts: 1,114
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Here is another + for the Pioneer DVL 909 & 919 players - they play PAL DVDs just fine (something I find many USA DVD & BD players are incapable of).
The DVL-909 is also easily modified to be macrovision and region code free (the mod does not work on the 919). The 909 will not output DTS audio, but the 919 does.
The Elite DVL-91 is basically a 909 with DTS output capability.

A long-time audio/video addict!

Last edited by Rich86; 05-30-2016 at 07:11 PM.
Rich86 is offline  
post #6 of 13 Old 06-04-2016, 03:19 PM
Newbie
 
WentInsane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Honestly, you are better off with separate components. Other than the fact that it plays DVD's, the other LD players I have are better than the 919 I have. The LD playback is good, but DVD is hit and miss. Not sure if it just because of how old the unit is, or what.
Other LD players will be cheaper as well.
I am still on the search for a reasonably priced dual tray LD player. I do not mind the "intermission" really, but to have the machine do that extra work would be fantastic.
WentInsane is offline  
post #7 of 13 Old 06-05-2016, 05:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Dude111's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 2,488
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 501 Post(s)
Liked: 1212
Im desperate to get a good MONO videodisc player myself!! (Some movies I cant find on VHS in thier original analogue formats and most movies I have seen on VD,are 100% analog (No digital molestation))


Good luck Tross...... I hope by now you have something good
Dude111 is offline  
post #8 of 13 Old 06-07-2016, 07:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Rich86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: USA - California
Posts: 1,114
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by WentInsane View Post
Honestly, you are better off with separate components. Other than the fact that it plays DVD's, the other LD players I have are better than the 919 I have. The LD playback is good, but DVD is hit and miss. Not sure if it just because of how old the unit is, or what.
Other LD players will be cheaper as well.
I am still on the search for a reasonably priced dual tray LD player. I do not mind the "intermission" really, but to have the machine do that extra work would be fantastic.
My Pioneer combo players were at least equal to my other LD players (Panasonic & Sony). And in all honesty, I never use either my DVL-909 or 919 for DVD playback anymore except for PAL DVDs, which these players support while my other DVD, HD-DVD & BD players do not.
Are you concerned with films that require MORE than 2 sides of a LD & want a dual sided player with multiple drawers so it can play 3 or 4 LD sides on its own? I've never heard of such a critter.

A long-time audio/video addict!
Rich86 is offline  
post #9 of 13 Old 06-08-2016, 08:49 AM
Member
 
deckarep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Oslo, Norway
Posts: 107
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich86 View Post
Are you concerned with films that require MORE than 2 sides of a LD & want a dual sided player with multiple drawers so it can play 3 or 4 LD sides on its own? I've never heard of such a critter.
Her are one: Pioneer LD-W1 http://www.laserdiscarchive.co.uk/la...neer_ld-w1.htm

Deck

Oppo BDP-95EU, BDP-105D (CFW), UDP-205, Denon DVD-A1UD, Pioneer HLD-X9
Med800x3d, PCH-410A
Denon-AVPA1HD3D & POA-A1HD, Pioneer KRP-500A & KRP-600A
Synology 1815+ x 2 (72TB), Synology 1817+ x 2 (64TB)
CAT6A cabled network
deckarep is offline  
post #10 of 13 Old 06-08-2016, 02:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Rich86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: USA - California
Posts: 1,114
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Wow . . I had never heard of or seen such a player. What a mechanical monstrosity. I wonder if any of these still exist in the wild.
Personally, I was never terribly bothered by swapping out a disc part way through a movie, so double sided play with a single tray was fine.
Even CAV encoded laser discs provided up to an hour before having to swap a disc.
Thanks for the info - learn something new every day . .

A long-time audio/video addict!
Rich86 is offline  
post #11 of 13 Old 06-10-2016, 10:10 AM
Member
 
Gary Seven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 61
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich86 View Post
Even CAV encoded laser discs provided up to an hour before having to swap a disc.
Thanks for the info - learn something new every day . .

Incorrect. CAV provided 30 minutes, CLV ... 60 minutes.
Gary Seven is offline  
post #12 of 13 Old 06-10-2016, 11:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Rich86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: USA - California
Posts: 1,114
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Seven View Post
Incorrect. CAV provided 30 minutes, CLV ... 60 minutes.
your times are per side, mine were per disc - so with double sided players like I believe we were discussing, CAV = up to 60 minutes before swapping a disc is necessary. CLV encoded discs provide up to 2 hours total.

A long-time audio/video addict!

Last edited by Rich86; 06-10-2016 at 11:28 AM.
Rich86 is offline  
post #13 of 13 Old 06-10-2016, 11:53 AM
Member
 
Gary Seven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 61
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Ah... in that case you are right. Never mind.
Gary Seven is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply DVD Players (Standard Def)

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off