Pioneer DVL-909 LD and DVD player Comp to HDMI solution? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 05-16-2018, 12:53 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Pioneer DVL-909 LD and DVD player Comp to HDMI solution?

So I found a DVL-909 locally on CL. This one plays DVDs and LD's and is from 1998. Comes with S video and component out, and coaxial and fiber optic audio out. Yes!! To be brief I like vintage and obscure formats on occasion, such as LD.

Will a direct component to HDMI cable work if plugged directly into the below receiver, or would I still need an analog to digital converter box? Thanks in advance!

The receiver I am using is a Sony STR-DN1080

Trying to avoid plugging in another cheap Chinese converter box which will fry in two months..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 05-17-2018, 03:24 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Valenta View Post
So I found a DVL-909 locally on CL. This one plays DVDs and LD's and is from 1998. Comes with S video and component out, and coaxial and fiber optic audio out. Yes!! To be brief I like vintage and obscure formats on occasion, such as LD.

Will a direct component to HDMI cable work if plugged directly into the below receiver, or would I still need an analog to digital converter box? Thanks in advance!

The receiver I am using is a Sony STR-DN1080

Trying to avoid plugging in another cheap Chinese converter box which will fry in two months..
The digital outputs only output audio bit streams. The LD playback will only be on the composite and S-Video outs, the Component output is designed for DVD playback, DVD also comes out the composite and S-Video. Video is only analog. HDMI is only digital.
post #3 of 3 Old 04-26-2019, 08:59 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurtis Bahr View Post
The digital outputs only output audio bit streams. The LD playback will only be on the composite and S-Video outs, the Component output is designed for DVD playback, DVD also comes out the composite and S-Video. Video is only analog. HDMI is only digital.
Got it! Ran S-Video into an upscaler which converts to HMDI; seems like an okay solution for now.

Also found a modulator box so i'm getting dolby 5.1 out of laserdiscs which is pretty cool in 2019!

Still really enjoying the LD player; the movies are basically early DVD quality which is not bad.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DVD Players (Standard Def)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page