Parts and/or service for Pioneer Laserdisc players in 2018? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Kurtis Bahr

post #1 of 10 Old 07-23-2018, 02:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Parts and/or service for Pioneer Laserdisc players in 2018?

I don't really expect a lot of response to this thread, but I figured I'd give it a try anyway:

I have a certain nostalgia towards my Laserdisc collection, and my player, which is currently an old Dvl-909 (champagne color) PAL/NTSC.
It's still working fine, and I take good care of it, but it's obviosly not really what you would call high end model..

That's why I really want to buy an LD-S9, or another high end unit with the famous "advanced 3D comb filter" (if there's still any decent machines around that is..?)
It's kind of a boy's dream that I never could afford in the late 90's, and it stuck with me.

But what are the odds of finding parts or someone with the expertise to service these units today?
Can Pioneer in Japan still help out in case of an "emergency", even though all production stopped in 2009?
I live in Norway, and unfortunately there was barely a supertiny market for Laserdisc here in the 90's, so I figured I need to turn abroad for any useful information.
Any help would be appreciated Thanks.

Oyvind
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 07-24-2018, 07:19 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oyvind Mobakken View Post
I don't really expect a lot of response to this thread, but I figured I'd give it a try anyway:

I have a certain nostalgia towards my Laserdisc collection, and my player, which is currently an old Dvl-909 (champagne color) PAL/NTSC.
It's still working fine, and I take good care of it, but it's obviosly not really what you would call high end model..

That's why I really want to buy an LD-S9, or another high end unit with the famous "advanced 3D comb filter" (if there's still any decent machines around that is..?)
It's kind of a boy's dream that I never could afford in the late 90's, and it stuck with me.

But what are the odds of finding parts or someone with the expertise to service these units today?
Can Pioneer in Japan still help out in case of an "emergency", even though all production stopped in 2009?
I live in Norway, and unfortunately there was barely a supertiny market for Laserdisc here in the 90's, so I figured I need to turn abroad for any useful information.
Any help would be appreciated Thanks.

Oyvind
I'm one of the few that still repair players. One thing I can tell you is that if you have a newer quality monitor it will have a newer more advanced 3D adaptive filter than any of the players. You would could end up getting a better picture using the composite output from the player. But I live in U.S. and NTSC is the original color video format here.

I would actually recommend going for the CLD-D704 as it will give you the same picture minus the 3D adaptive filter.

Now if you really want to get the most from laserdisc buy the HLD-X0. You have to flip the disc over to watch side B but it has the lowest noise picture along with the 3D adaptive filter if you want to use it.

Since Onkyo purchased Pioneer Consumer Electronics a couple years ago the parts support has dropped, there are more parts available in the U.S. than Europe. For some reason to get parts from Pioneer Japan, where they have more parts available, you would have to have someone buy them and then ship them to you. Pioneer is the only brand that has laserdisc parts support.

If you really want the 3D adaptive filter you need to buy a HLD-X0, HLD-X9, CLD-R7G, and I believe the Japanese yersion of the DVL-91 but I forgot the exact model number.
Oyvind Mobakken likes this.
post #3 of 10 Old 07-24-2018, 09:28 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurtis Bahr View Post
I'm one of the few that still repair players. One thing I can tell you is that if you have a newer quality monitor it will have a newer more advanced 3D adaptive filter than any of the players. You would could end up getting a better picture using the composite output from the player. But I live in U.S. and NTSC is the original color video format here.

I would actually recommend going for the CLD-D704 as it will give you the same picture minus the 3D adaptive filter.

Now if you really want to get the most from laserdisc buy the HLD-X0. You have to flip the disc over to watch side B but it has the lowest noise picture along with the 3D adaptive filter if you want to use it.

Since Onkyo purchased Pioneer Consumer Electronics a couple years ago the parts support has dropped, there are more parts available in the U.S. than Europe. For some reason to get parts from Pioneer Japan, where they have more parts available, you would have to have someone buy them and then ship them to you. Pioneer is the only brand that has laserdisc parts support.

If you really want the 3D adaptive filter you need to buy a HLD-X0, HLD-X9, CLD-R7G, and I believe the Japanese yersion of the DVL-91 but I forgot the exact model number.
Thank you very much for your response, Kurtis!
I've noticed your name pop up on several LaserDisc-forums over the past decade, so I was actually hoping for an input from you

Ok, I see what you mean regarding the 3D comb filters in modern monitors. Oddly enough, I'm using an "old" Sony Bravia KDL-40EX710 from 2010 with my DVL-909 (through composite of course), because it gives me a much better picture (and tweakability) than my newer Samsung set.

I really appreciate you mentioning those players. The CLD-D704 didn't even cross my mind, but I'll be sure to keep that thought in the back of my head when deciding for a new unit.
I read about it now, and it seems to have a pretty good video-S/N ratio at 51 dB

But I'm kind of curious about something..
Is there a reason why you didn't mention the LD-S9? I thought the S9 was equipped with the same Mitsubishi chip (comb filter) that was used in the HLD-X9, and was one of the better models?

Anyway, thanks again for the response. Now I know who to give a holler if I need something fixed, or ask for advice

Oyvind
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 07-24-2018, 10:57 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Thank you very much for your response, Kurtis!
I've noticed your name pop up on several LaserDisc-forums over the past decade, so I was actually hoping for an input from you

Ok, I see what you mean regarding the 3D comb filters in modern monitors. Oddly enough, I'm using an "old" Sony Bravia KDL-40EX710 from 2010 with my DVL-909 (through composite of course), because it gives me a much better picture (and tweakability) than my newer Samsung set.

I really appreciate you mentioning those players. The CLD-D704 didn't even cross my mind, but I'll be sure to keep that thought in the back of my head when deciding for a new unit.
I read about it now, and it seems to have a pretty good video-S/N ratio at 51 dB

But I'm kind of curious about something..
Is there a reason why you didn't mention the LD-S9? I thought the S9 was equipped with the same Mitsubishi chip (comb filter) that was used in the HLD-X9, and was one of the better models?

Anyway, thanks again for the response. Now I know who to give a holler if I need something fixed, or ask for advice

Oyvind
Don’t look at the S/N Ratios for audio and video electronics as the standard for measuring does not provide enough definition for how signals are input. A prime example is the HLD-X0 and LD-S2 are leaps and bounds better as far as extremely low background noise and with DNR turned off the CLD-99, LD-S9 and HLD-X9 all have much more background noise and look digital, no comparison.
Now if you like the digitized look the 99/S9/X9 are great machines, I prefer a film like analog look so I prefer the X0/S2/CLD-97. They are all great machines but the best for you is what you like.

Now the 704 has a 3D digital comb filter but it is not the adaptive one like the 99/S9/X0/X9. It has been my understanding the S9 adaptive filter is a generation between the 99 and X9. What I can tell you is that the 704/99/S9 all use the same power supply and the power supply says a lot about the picture quality concerning noise levels. The S9 is a 99 inside with a newer Adaptive filter attached to the video board and SW to support. Myself I cannot justify any extra to spend on the S9 over the 99 but then I prefer the 97 for a 2 sided player.

The trouble with the newer monitors is that most have removed the NTSC processing specialized circuitry to reduce production cost, some are horrible. I still have the last Pioneer Elite Plasma’s and they put the latest 3D filter in that so I don’t need it in my player. Serious people I know purchase high end separate video processors but I have not bothered since I have the Pioneer Elite Plasma.
post #5 of 10 Old 07-25-2018, 01:38 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Don’t look at the S/N Ratios for audio and video electronics as the standard for measuring does not provide enough definition for how signals are input. A prime example is the HLD-X0 and LD-S2 are leaps and bounds better as far as extremely low background noise and with DNR turned off the CLD-99, LD-S9 and HLD-X9 all have much more background noise and look digital, no comparison.
Now if you like the digitized look the 99/S9/X9 are great machines, I prefer a film like analog look so I prefer the X0/S2/CLD-97. They are all great machines but the best for you is what you like.

Now the 704 has a 3D digital comb filter but it is not the adaptive one like the 99/S9/X0/X9. It has been my understanding the S9 adaptive filter is a generation between the 99 and X9. What I can tell you is that the 704/99/S9 all use the same power supply and the power supply says a lot about the picture quality concerning noise levels. The S9 is a 99 inside with a newer Adaptive filter attached to the video board and SW to support. Myself I cannot justify any extra to spend on the S9 over the 99 but then I prefer the 97 for a 2 sided player.

The trouble with the newer monitors is that most have removed the NTSC processing specialized circuitry to reduce production cost, some are horrible. I still have the last Pioneer Elite Plasma’s and they put the latest 3D filter in that so I don’t need it in my player. Serious people I know purchase high end separate video processors but I have not bothered since I have the Pioneer Elite Plasma.
Oh ok, thanks for the heads up. I will certainly remember that. This is priceless information, Kurtis.

This has gotten me something new to think about indeed.
Hmm.. I've seen a couple of 99's and a couple og S9's the past few days, and they seem to both be around the $650-range? Is that about their normal price? But the HF9G for somewhat less. And there's a couple of 959 (US-97), but if I were to go that way I would really prefer the US Elite version, just for the looks of it :P
Do you have an oppinion regarding Japanese models, and their American equivalent? Like the 959=97, HF9G=99 etc.. Are they indeed equals, or are there differences in the components or quality?

Of the film-like ones you mentioned, I think I could see myself with a CLD-97 or a 959. Only downside is the lack of AC-3, but I guess it could be worse.
If I know myself right, I'll probably end up with one of each. (One with a digitized look as well as one with smoother picture).
The HLD-X0 is of course tempting, but I see one on ebay atm going for $8400!! Given the difficulty of obtaining parts as well, then that's probably out of the question.

I must admit that I also have a soft spot for that analog filmlike "smoothness" when watching movies. That's why I still have the old Sony Bravia TV for laserdisc, although it was newer a top model.
Btw, do you remember what your Elite Plasma model is called? (the model number?) I suspect the "Elite" name was ment for the US market only. I ask because I found a Pioneer plasma on a local used-market website, and it is called: Pioneer (KURO) Plasma PDP-LX5090, (as in 9th generation 50" screen), and was wondering if this was maybe the same, hehe? It costed around $4800 new, (in 2008 or 2009) and goes for just under $250 today.. ^^

Oyvind
post #6 of 10 Old 07-25-2018, 04:18 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 481 Post(s)
Liked: 14367
Quote:
Btw, do you remember what your Elite Plasma model is called? (the model number?) I suspect the "Elite" name was ment for the US market only. I ask because I found a Pioneer plasma on a local used-market website, and it is called: Pioneer (KURO) Plasma PDP-LX5090, (as in 9th generation 50" screen), and was wondering if this was maybe the same, hehe? It costed around $4800 new, (in 2008 or 2009) and goes for just under $250 today.. ^^

Oyvind
The last plasma models for Pioneer were Elite KUROs (I still use a 60" Kuro, but no LDs ). I believe prior to the KUROs the Elite moniker was still used in Pioneer plasmas. The KUROs are nice because when fed 24p they can switch to 72hz, but I don't think that would apply to LDs. The KUROs have much better video processing than their earlier generation plasmas.

Make me grow brainiac fingers, but with more hair!
post #7 of 10 Old 07-25-2018, 05:18 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PooperScooper View Post
The last plasma models for Pioneer were Elite KUROs (I still use a 60" Kuro, but no LDs ). I believe prior to the KUROs the Elite moniker was still used in Pioneer plasmas. The KUROs are nice because when fed 24p they can switch to 72hz, but I don't think that would apply to LDs. The KUROs have much better video processing than their earlier generation plasmas.
Thank you for your answer Scoop, but the problem is that the "Elite" naming scheme was never used on anything Pioneer released in Europe. Pioneer just rebranded it with another model name.
Our equivalent models to your Pioneer Elite Pro-101FD, 111FD, 141FD and 151FD, was called either KRP-500A, -600A, -500M, -600M, or PDP-LX5090 and LX6090, but I'm not totally sure which. So that's why I asked for the model number, because I really would like to have that latest 3D comb filter Kurtis was referring to. In addition to a great screen of course. But hopefully, maybe pioneer used that filter in all their 9. gen top models?

Oyvind
post #8 of 10 Old 07-30-2018, 07:04 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quoted: 1291 Post(s)
Liked: 2124
Posts deleted. Sales outside of the classifieds are not permitted.

Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself.

Panasonic DP-UB820 -> Yamaha CX-A5100 -> Sony XBR-75X940C; Mediabridge 6' and 15' HDMI cables.
post #9 of 10 Old 08-08-2018, 08:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 2871 Post(s)
Liked: 1830
Quote:

Keep your eye on eBay too....depending on the part, might be able to find it. Managed to grab a power board for peanuts when my CLD-59 failed. It was actually fairly easy to replace.

7.2.4 System: Display: Sony XBR-65X930D; Processing: Anthem AVM60
Mains:
Paradigm Prestige 85F and 55C; Side / Rear Surrounds: Totem Acoustic Tribe III / Tribe I; Amplification: D-Sonic M3a-2800-7 (7ch. x 400w)
ATMOS:
Definitive Technology DI8R; Amplification: Class D Audio SDS-470C (4ch. x 300w)
Subwoofers:
2 x SVS-SB13Ultras; Media: Oppo UDP-203, Pioneer CLD-59
post #10 of 10 Old 02-24-2019, 07:03 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Pioneer LD-X1 (S2) Pick-Up Problem

Quote:

Hi Kurtis,

seems you have a lot of experience on LD-Player technic so I reach out to you with a prob on my LD-X1 (S2).

The unit powers on, OSD is visible, disc tray is working, in general all works fine except the initialization of the player on power on. I entered test mode of the player, also seems ok from my pov.

I can provide a video of the mechanical assembly with the pick-up problem if you want ...

On the video the pick-up unlocks fine but then loops in onto sliding back and forth endlessly. Inserting a LD into the tray does not change a thing.

What could be the problem - any idea? Before shipping out from Japan the unit was working without a problem.

Thank you so much for your help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DVD Players (Standard Def)

Tags
expertise , laserdisc , ld-s9 , parts , Pioneer

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page