Panasonic AG 1970 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 08-13-2018, 09:57 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Panasonic AG 1970

Hopefully the thread title will draw those that know something about this deck. Before everyone jumps on the 'no' merits of VHS S-VHS....I have hundreds of VHS tapes mostly given to me and some bought at garage sales....plus whatever I bought originally. I just want to be able to play these tapes reliably with a high quality deck. I may in the future decide to digitize some of them, but probably not...cheaper just to buy a used DVD movie. I just bought this deck for a great price and it seems to work well.

I found a guy to refurbish this unit at a reasonable price. In the interim I'm trying to figure out how to use it. I downloaded the factory Owner's Manual. It's a little sparse in plaback instructions. Mostly, it just tells ya what all the buttons and doodads do without elaborating (especially in playback).

Right now it's playing tapes well that were formally un-playable with my last VHS machine. However, whenever I switch the TBC ON, I get a solid dimly lit green pic.....the tape keeps playing and I hear audio, but no pic. I don't know if this is my error or something in the machine and the reason the deck was for sale. Without the TBC ON it plays tapes a treat.

I bought a giant Panasonic editing machine once to blacken the S-VHS tapes and record audio only (sound will rival the best studio reel to reels), but it was too cumbersome in actual use to do that. So it just got used to playback tapes. However, I later discovered it had an ungodly amount of hrs on it (found an internal hr meter) and she gave up the ghost.

Again, this is not a discussion about the merits of VHS S-VHS decks....I know very well it's a defunct medium. I have to be able to play all these tapes, many of which are children's tapes for my 4yr old grandson who lives with me. I can't bear to add them to our landfill. Some of the titles never made it to DVD like The River Pirates.

Kevin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 08-13-2018, 04:27 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Real1shepherd View Post
Hopefully the thread title will draw those that know something about this deck. Before everyone jumps on the 'no' merits of VHS S-VHS....I have hundreds of VHS tapes mostly given to me and some bought at garage sales....plus whatever I bought originally. I just want to be able to play these tapes reliably with a high quality deck. I may in the future decide to digitize some of them, but probably not...cheaper just to buy a used DVD movie. I just bought this deck for a great price and it seems to work well.

I found a guy to refurbish this unit at a reasonable price. In the interim I'm trying to figure out how to use it. I downloaded the factory Owner's Manual. It's a little sparse in plaback instructions. Mostly, it just tells ya what all the buttons and doodads do without elaborating (especially in playback).

Right now it's playing tapes well that were formally un-playable with my last VHS machine. However, whenever I switch the TBC ON, I get a solid dimly lit green pic.....the tape keeps playing and I hear audio, but no pic. I don't know if this is my error or something in the machine and the reason the deck was for sale. Without the TBC ON it plays tapes a treat.

I bought a giant Panasonic editing machine once to blacken the S-VHS tapes and record audio only (sound will rival the best studio reel to reels), but it was too cumbersome in actual use to do that. So it just got used to playback tapes. However, I later discovered it had an ungodly amount of hrs on it (found an internal hr meter) and she gave up the ghost.

Again, this is not a discussion about the merits of VHS S-VHS decks....I know very well it's a defunct medium. I have to be able to play all these tapes, many of which are children's tapes for my 4yr old grandson who lives with me. I can't bear to add them to our landfill. Some of the titles never made it to DVD like The River Pirates.

Kevin
That is a very good machine. Sounds to me like your TBC is bad. I would guess that may be why it was for sale, I’d just enjoy it without the TBC. Unless you are editing you really don’t need it. If you really wanted to play with the levels you needed to get an external TBC that would actually replace the scan pulses between each data field, the TBC’s in the players did not correct these to eliminate the copy guard.
post #3 of 3 Old 08-13-2018, 08:29 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurtis Bahr View Post
That is a very good machine. Sounds to me like your TBC is bad. I would guess that may be why it was for sale, I’d just enjoy it without the TBC. Unless you are editing you really don’t need it. If you really wanted to play with the levels you needed to get an external TBC that would actually replace the scan pulses between each data field, the TBC’s in the players did not correct these to eliminate the copy guard.

Thanks for the quick reply. Yes, I read that; that the TBC integral to this machine is pretty primitive as compared to its big brother AG 1980. I'm not sure I even need it.....I'm trying to playback tapes that are known to track badly in other machines. That's all really....that it gives me the best sound and pic from troubled tapes. If to do that I need to buy the external TBC, I'll start looking.

The refurbisher will will fix the TBC anyway, for what it's worth. He restores 1980's and so this would be an easier deck I would imagine to work on.

Kevin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DVD Players (Standard Def)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page