Sony DVP-CX777ES auto adjustment issue - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 01-25-2019, 04:55 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Sony DVP-CX777ES auto adjustment issue

On my DVP-CX777ES, I ran the auto adjustment from the service menu because it was no longer playing any discs even after replacing the laser pickup. Put in DVD-SL, CD and DVD-DL in the first 3 slots. It does not run to completion unfortunately, at the bottom right of the screen it reports EMG.3A. I have the service manual but this code is not explained there. Does anyone know what the issue could be?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 04-28-2019, 05:05 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by guho View Post
On my DVP-CX777ES, I ran the auto adjustment from the service menu because it was no longer playing any discs even after replacing the laser pickup. Put in DVD-SL, CD and DVD-DL in the first 3 slots. It does not run to completion unfortunately, at the bottom right of the screen it reports EMG.3A. I have the service manual but this code is not explained there. Does anyone know what the issue could be?
Same problem here. Did anyone respond to you? Mine plays discs but seems extremely sensitive to small defects even though the laser is new, so it cuts out on even new CDs.
post #3 of 5 Old 04-29-2019, 05:33 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by landochi View Post
Same problem here. Did anyone respond to you? Mine plays discs but seems extremely sensitive to small defects even though the laser is new, so it cuts out on even new CDs.
No, sorry, no one got back to me. I have the service manual and I bought an oscilloscope so if I ever have time I plan to follow the test points and expected waveforms to see what to problem might be. Exchanging laser does not help: I tried it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 04-29-2019, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guho View Post
No, sorry, no one got back to me. I have the service manual and I bought an oscilloscope so if I ever have time I plan to follow the test points and expected waveforms to see what to problem might be. Exchanging laser does not help: I tried it.

I presume in your case that you already removed the solder blob. I've seen a few posts about similar symptoms where someone forgot to remove it. But that would be too easy. In my case, this laser is a transplant from another working but cosmetically inferior unit.

I don't get any non-zero response codes when running the tests, but it seems to very quickly read each media type. It could be in my case that there's nothing wrong with the laser and the problem lies elsewhere. I plan to try it again with just the CD test, this time an SHM (maybe with a few fingerprints on it to be sure). It's very frustrating because it works fine most of the time, but when it does drop out, I find that other SACD players I have play these same CDs without the dropouts. One thing I read elsewhere is to check the lube on the metal rod the laser rides on and lube with white lithium grease if needed. I tried that to no effect.

I was also considering manual adjustments, but I don't have a scope and this player might be fine if it's just playing CDs and DVDs and not SACDs, so I figure I'll stick with what I have for now.

Maybe it's time to give up and go to a media server. I just like the convenience of the changer, and I have enjoyed fixing it. This one had several things wrong with it before I replaced the laser.
post #5 of 5 Old 05-08-2019, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by landochi View Post
I presume in your case that you already removed the solder blob. I've seen a few posts about similar symptoms where someone forgot to remove it. But that would be too easy. In my case, this laser is a transplant from another working but cosmetically inferior unit.

I don't get any non-zero response codes when running the tests, but it seems to very quickly read each media type. It could be in my case that there's nothing wrong with the laser and the problem lies elsewhere. I plan to try it again with just the CD test, this time an SHM (maybe with a few fingerprints on it to be sure). It's very frustrating because it works fine most of the time, but when it does drop out, I find that other SACD players I have play these same CDs without the dropouts. One thing I read elsewhere is to check the lube on the metal rod the laser rides on and lube with white lithium grease if needed. I tried that to no effect.

I was also considering manual adjustments, but I don't have a scope and this player might be fine if it's just playing CDs and DVDs and not SACDs, so I figure I'll stick with what I have for now.

Maybe it's time to give up and go to a media server. I just like the convenience of the changer, and I have enjoyed fixing it. This one had several things wrong with it before I replaced the laser.
It appears that in my case the issue was the level of the housing that holds the CD/DVD drive. It makes sense that it would be an issue now that I think about it, just not something I would have considered when replacing the laser.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DVD Players (Standard Def)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page