Oppo 981HD--repair or replace? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 02-25-2019, 09:32 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Oppo 981HD--repair or replace?

I have an Oppo 981HD I must have bought 10 years ago. I bought it because it had some amazing upscaling chip, and outputting 1080P was supposed to be better than letting my TV upscale it. I've always been happy with it, but it died, and it's way out of warranty.

I still care about quality DVD playback, but I'm less interested in paying oodles of money for it when so many things have been re-released on BluRay now.

Should I :

--try to get it repaired. Is it still a good player? Is it something special that's worth repairing?
--get a new DVD player. Are there better ones now? If I just buy something with a decent rating on Amazon for $50, how is it going to compare?
--get a BluRay player. Do any of them play DVDs better than this one?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 02-26-2019, 04:53 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4690 Post(s)
Liked: 4563
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterSense View Post
I have an Oppo 981HD I must have bought 10 years ago. I bought it because it had some amazing upscaling chip, and outputting 1080P was supposed to be better than letting my TV upscale it. I've always been happy with it, but it died, and it's way out of warranty.

I still care about quality DVD playback, but I'm less interested in paying oodles of money for it when so many things have been re-released on BluRay now.

Should I :

--try to get it repaired. Is it still a good player? Is it something special that's worth repairing?
--get a new DVD player. Are there better ones now? If I just buy something with a decent rating on Amazon for $50, how is it going to compare?
--get a BluRay player. Do any of them play DVDs better than this one?
Welcome to AVSForum.

OPPO still does fixed price out of warranty repair on old players. Last I heard it was $125, which is a lot for a DVD player of that age. You'd have to contact them and ask if it is possible; I suspect that with time they simply no longer have the parts and they are not made any more.

For current prices, you might as well get a Blu-ray player. Ask in this thread about quality DVD playback: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/149-b...tart-here.html

-Bill

Review older films here: 1979 and earlier | 1980s | 1990s | Combined reviews: Strange Picture Scroll
Unofficial OPPO FAQS: UDP-203 | BDP-103 | BDP-93 | BDP-83 | BDP-80    
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DVD Players (Standard Def)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page