VHS to digital - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 19 Old 09-23-2019, 03:58 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
VHS to digital

Hello I want to ask if someone can suggest best combo to digitize VHS tapes. There are USB grabber. I tried one cheap but it makes the poor VHS quality even worst. I have tried basic VHS recorders with TV card in computer, but from Scart connector the video lags sometimes, from AV connector the quality is worst. I do not know where to ask so maybe here you should know what recorder or video grabber or combination of video recorder and game capture or TV card or.... should work best without more video issues that are common for VHS tapes. So the best stream of video that is as it is I am trying too long and I can not buy anything and hope it will be good enough. Not enough money for trial and error. Thank you a lot for any help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 09-23-2019, 07:16 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 885 Post(s)
Liked: 338
In the mostly dead DVD Recorders forum here on AVS, converting VHS to a quality digital(DVD in our case) format is the majority of what people want to do.
Pretty much everyone has tried the VHS to digital via USB route and while it's probably the simplest for getting your analog converted to digital, it's by far the worst in quality, many people looking into DVDRs have gone that route and just weren't happy. The problem is those converters are meant for a clean analog source, something that the vast majority of analog tapes provide.

What you need is a standalone DVD Recorder, something that was designed for a somewhat poor quality source and digitize it. I personally like Panasonic standalone DVD recorders because they can fit up to 4hrs of full D1 resolution video in a 4GB(SL DVD) package. Pioneer's are also known for good conversions but are rarer than Panasonics which themselves are getting hard to find, I believe all DVDRs are now only available used as your about 10 years late to the VHS to DVD bandwagon.
If your OK with 2hrs or less/DVD then basically any Panasonic should work, my favorite ones are the post '04 models with full D1 resolution LP(4hr speed). I believe Pioneers top out at 3hrs of full-resolution per DVD but I could be proven wrong, I'm a Panasonic guy and mostly follow(or followed) Panasonics.
Some of the late model Sony DVDRs were made by Pioneer but most Sony's tend to think every DVD is CP'd(copy-protected) even though they may not be but it's a quirk of Sony made DVDRs and a few other brands.
Lots of standalone DVDR talk over in the DVDR forum although most is probably old as again your very very late in the game.
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/106-d...-standard-def/
post #3 of 19 Old 09-25-2019, 04:00 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you for your answer. I have found out Sanyo FWZV475F and it seems that it can play video and audio even from VCR (not only DVD) through HDMI, Component and S-video. Can you confirm that? Also do you know more brands and models that are capable to play VCR through Component? S-video and HDMI are only bonus. I have cheap combo which has DVD player and VHS recorder and has Component out but only for DVD part. VCR part has only Scart out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 Old 09-25-2019, 07:35 AM

I'm not that familiar with Sanyo DVD Recorders but it's not a brand that I've heard lots of complaints about, they just didn't seem to be all that popular in N. America.
Yes many combos would not output VHS on any output other than the lowest quality composite.
I know Panasonic combos can output VHS on all outputs but on the non HDMI models to get VHS out the component there was a trick but it was explained in the manual. Not hard to do but it didn't default to that.
I didn't talk a lot about combos(VHS player with a built-in DVD recorder) but they were what many people wishing to convert all their VHS tapes to DVD(or a DVD which they'd then copy to their PCs HDD and have it in the digital format) bought hoping to accomplish what they wanted, and were quite disappointed
The vast majority of combos were crap, poor VHS player, poor DVD recorder, just all around cheap. Also people purchasing combos wanted something simple and easy to use but most of the time combos were harder to use and much less flexible. Over in the DVD Recorders forum we've had tons of people who went out and purchased such combos only to post how it wasn't doing what they wanted and they were ready to throw it out the window
IMO your best option is a separate quality VCR(again the vast majority of ones in combos are the $99 bottom of the barrel models) and a decent quality DVD recorder and simply run the audio and video from the VCR(S-video is the best we get in N. America but it sounds like you may have SCART available to you? but as most VCRs don't have S-video out(and some DVDRs don't even have S-video in!) you may be forced to use the lowly composite) to your DVD recorder. Note if your thinking the internal connection from a combo VHS player to it's DVD recorder is quality, your wrong, at best it's composite, most of the time it looks worse(hard to believe there is anything worse than composite but combos sure make it look like there is). Don't ask me why they do this but all combo makers do, you'd think they could have used a quality direct VHS to DVDR connection but again no(although Panasonics to me look like they probably used something akin to S-video).
Again if your thinking a combo will make the job easier you're probably in for a disappointment, trust me I've used both methods. The only combos I can say equal separate components would be Panasonics combos. They used decent VCRs(not top of the line but not junk) and about as good of a DVDR as made.
The best model Panasonics combos(N. American models, sorry not familiar with other models) would be:
#1 the Panasonic EH-75v. In N. America the pinnacle of combos, a quality combo with HDMI output and an HDD for easily editing titles. Note in N. America the EH-75v is quite hard to find and almost always expensive but often times worth it.
#2 ES-45v or ES-46v which is mostly the same as the EH-75v but lacks the handy HDD, still has HDMI out for VHS.
#3 ES-35v similar to the ES-45v but lacks HDMI out(but again you can trick the machine to outputting VHS over component).
#4 ES-30v similar to a ES-35v but one year older. In some ways the ES-30v is my favorite combo(less the EH-75v) as it has dual displays, allowing you to monitor both the VHS side and VCR side at the same time(all other combos ever made by anyone share the display and make you cycle through the remote to monitor the progress of the VHS or DVD side). The ES-30v is an '05 model and getting quite old, often times the displays are getting very dim and hard to read but it's a quality model.
#5 E-75v not to be confused with the #1 EH-75v, the E-75v was Panasonics first N. American combo. Similar to the ES-30v even down to it's dual displays(so actually there were 2 combos ever made with dual displays) it's one downside(IMO) is it switches to 1/2 D1 resolution for speeds longer than 2hrs/DVD. If this isn't a concern for you I often see E-75v's nicely priced.

If you already have a good VCR with S-video or SCART output I'd strongly suggest using this for your conversions and simply finding a quality DVDR. I could give you various Panasonic models or as I've said before some people like Pioneers but I've tried(decades ago) many brands and I found more I disliked than liked.

Lastly, the only Panasonic models I'd not suggest would be the '05 combo ES-40v and non-combo ES-20. These 2 models were the first of when Panasonic switched silicon suppliers and were known to be very buggy, quirky and lacked features found on all other Panasonics, stay away from these!

Last edited by jjeff; 09-25-2019 at 07:39 AM.
post #5 of 19 Old 09-26-2019, 01:07 AM - Thread Starter

Oh, you are the exact person I was looking for Thank you for great answer. I can make thinks all more clear and have som more questions for you.
I am from Europe.
My goal is: take VHS tape, put it in device. Record the tape from device somehow into digital format. Load that stuff into computer in usable format as MPG or MP4 or whatever. Get the best quality as it can produce.

The reason I was looking for DVD/VCR combo was only that I thought that there are no any solo VCR playesr with better than composite out connection. (are there?) And scart is not the same as composite? (just the Europian version of connection?)

Thank you that you clear thinks up. That was exactly I was thinking, that when the combo has DVD recorder for VCR that it has best possible connection so the quality would be great. Second reason why I was looking for DVD/VCR combo. Now I know that I was wrong.

And few questions.
If device has HDD - I can record VHS into HDD and then copy it to computer in best possible quality?
If device has HDMI out for VCR how it handle with resolution? Makes black bars? Or crop image?
Can you please suggest models for solo VCRs with best possible quality solution of my needs?

What I came up with thinking the quality would be best is that I will buy solo VCR player with best possible connector which outputs the signal into "game capture" device which will record the signal into HDD in MP4 format. Or is there better solution? I already have Avermedia Game Capture HD which has only component in. It records into HDD. Then I can copy it into computer.

Hope that I cleared up thinks more. (also English is not my birth language so I hope that I am not messing words too much)
post #6 of 19 Old 09-26-2019, 12:09 PM

Good question about the SCART connector, which unfortunately I don't know I know SCART can carry composite, S-video and RGB(similar to component) but when you hook a VCR with SCART to a DVDR with SCART, honestly I don't know what connection is used, I suppose it could be just composite but an A/V person from Europe would be the best one to ask.
In N. America anyway(where I am) we also had a few VCRs with S-video output, which almost always looked superior to lowly composite. Again I'm almost positive the internal connection from the VCR to DVDR in basically every combo is simply composite which is sad but probably the cheapest way of doing it. I'm thinking??
I just looked at some of my Panasonics and even though I thought they might natively output VHS over S-video, it looks like you need to do the same trick as getting VHS out the component(note on Panasonic combos that have HDMI you get VHS over HDMI without the trick). But I'm still thinking Panasonic combos use S-video internally, I know the hundreds of VHS to DVD I did on my Panasonics the digital quality was as good as on the tape or sometimes seemed to look better.

For your questions:
#1 . Unfortunately no for whatever reason all DVDRs that have a HDD encrypt the data on the HDD with no real easy to get it off, other than what people in the DVDR forum had to do for years, High Speed copy whats on the HDD to a DVD(you can use a RW disc if you want to do this multiple times then erase the disc when done) or what most do(including me) simply use an inexpensive(at least in US we can still get a 100 spindle of Verbatim SL AZO -R discs for ~$25USD off Amazon). A SL DVD holds 2hrs of SP quality video or really up to about 2hrs 30 minutes if your VHS is long. While with a Panasonic you can fit up to 4hrs of full-resolution video/SL DVD when you get over ~2h 30m, particularly 3hrs, macroblocking(a type of noise when the picture gets bit-starved and starts breaking up into small squares) becomes a problem. The EH-75v also burns to DL DVDs but I strongly suggest against it. They are very expensive, are the most prone to have an issue burning and all-around a last choice IMO, but you can get close to 4hrs SP quality on a single disc. Again your only real choice using a DVDR is burning to DVD and then physically reading the DVD in your computer and copying the MPEG files to your computers HDD where you can do with them as you want, kind of archaic but the only other real option, using a computer card or capture device tends to be much more problematic and quality is almost always worse because VHS output is very noisy and quirky which tends to confuse the capture devices, a DVDR has all the correct filtering for dirty VHS(not that Beta is any better in that respect ).

2. Again I'm mostly familiar with Panasonics but with Panasonics you can choose the type of output you want under HDMI settings on the DVDR.

3. Wow, thats a loaded question, discussed frequently in the day. Again in the day people were liking various Panasonic industrial S-VHS machines, I believe the AG1980 was a popular choice but starting 10 years ago the ones that were left started to have capacitor failures and most were getting worn out, the latest consensus was unless you knew the model and new it was good, to not chance it. For my VHS conversion project(when I wasn't using my Panasonic combos) I used a Mitsbushi S-VHS VCR which worked quite well, an industrial Sony S-VHS VCR and even a Samsung regular VCR(circa 2000) which actually wasn't too bad even though it only had composite output.
The general rule for a VHS player is one that will play your tapes well and not damage them, you also probably don't want a VCR that when it was doing it's auto tracking thing would display it on the screen if it does this for whatever reason when copying your tape you'll get the damn tracking OSD on your digital recording forever!

4. You know if you have a device that only accepts component input you might really want to look for a Panasonic combo(VHS/DVDR) as they allow you to output the VHS to it's component output, the only device with a VCR that I know that can do this. Note I'm not really sure you'll see a quality difference vs S-video because the source is still only VHS but it's bound to look better than composite. If this doesn't work to your liking(the glitchy VHS screws up your game capture device, cumbersome to use, etc.) you could always just copy the VHS to it's built-in DVD burner, finalize the disc and finally import the MPEG2 files into your computer where you could manipulate them however you wanted(convert to MP4, etc.). It might seem odd to first burn to a DVD in a antiquated format such as MPEG2 then convert it to a modern format but again it's about how your capture device will handle the relatively dirty signal VHS puts out. Us in the DVDR forum used to see people all the time asking why their captures weren't working right, skipped or just looked poor and the consensus was always to get a standalone DVDR, at which point the people were almost always happy with the results if they did

Your English is perfect, other than the fact you used the term SCART(which is never used in N. America, although I suppose is in England, which also speaks English ) I wouldn't have known I wasn't speaking to another Yank
post #7 of 19 Old 09-27-2019, 12:03 AM - Thread Starter

Great informations. Thank you very much.

Little more questions. Did the American Panasonics supports also PAL? Or only NTSC?
What is the trick to output component? I have Toshiba sd-37 vese. And component works only for DVD player (not recorder). Maybe same trick should work there...

And the last problem is the price. I am searching Ebay and the price is 100+ and postage cost and import charges makes it very expensive for me. In my country are available only some cheap old combos. I have found some but only composite output. A lot of search awaiting.
post #8 of 19 Old 09-27-2019, 03:42 AM - Thread Starter

I have some interesting foundings. It seems that Europian equivalent of Panasonic ES models is EZ models. For example there is model EZ-45V. Did not know what are differences inside. But Scart connectors are there. And second very interesting founding for me, it looks like every EZ model was made in Slovakia. I am from Slovakia and live there. But they have just made the models there but did not sell there.
post #9 of 19 Old 09-27-2019, 07:00 AM

Unfortunately no, American models are only NTSC. The Panasonics I have(I have several ) that support PAL are international Panasonics, purchased sort of grey market off Amazon, they weren't really meant for N. America and even though purchased new didn't have a N. American warranty, but I knew they were good from reading and took a chance, I'm still using them I have the EH-59 model but the EH-69 with a slightly larger HDD and couple more features was also available to me. Before those models Panasonic sold the EH-58 etc. and before that the EH-57 etc. I believe they were originally meant for the middle east but have English menu's and full PAL/NTSC support.
I didn't talk about the EZ models, which we also had after the ES/EH models in N. America and while they made quality recordings, several models(particularly the combo models(with VHS) were quirky and not all that reliable(not built like a tank like the older Panasonics). In N. America anyway the EZ-48v was one of the quirky, unreliable models Panasonic made. I tried several new under warranty only to return them all in disgust. See as my first DVDR was a Panasonic ES-30v I knew how good a DVDR could be and IMO the EZ-48v was crap Note I'm not sure if the Euro EZ-48v(if there is even one) is similar I can only tell you my experience(and MANY N. American people back in the day here on AVS and other DVDR forums) and it wasn't good. Also I'm guessing?? the EZ-48v may have lacked the trick to get VHS out of component or S-video, not positive as for the short time I had them I had so many other problems I was battling but I remember it lacked lots the older model had. In fact it's my opinion the EZ line of DVDRs is basically what forced Panasonic to withdraw all DVDR sales from the N. American market in 2009. The EZ-48v model was a 2008 model and I'm guessing Panasonic had so many returns and upset customers they finally decided to withdraw from N. America
If you haven't seen it, here is a link to a thread I started over a decade ago listing the various Panasonic models available in N. America. It starts out with some international Panasonics but unfortunately for you doesn't include any PAL only Euro models as we didn't really have access to them and in N. America they didn't really do us any good. I know some British Panasonics started out with EX and I know they also had the EZ models later but again I'm not sure the model numbers nor if they were as bad as most N. American EZ models. Note I also still have an EZ-28(purchased second hand cheap) but no VHS and it's one of the better EZ models, makes excellent recordings and I use it occasionally. I prefer the older ES/EH models but the EZ-28 isn't bad. Note in my thread most of the links to the manuals seem to be bad Panasonic must have changed them, the links to common threads seems to still work.
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/106-d...-features.html

No the trick to output VHS over component is a Panasonic feature, not a hack or anything. You push a button called DC(I believe??) and it sort of directly routes the VHS signal through the DVDR side which allows you to watch VHS through component just like a DVD. A very nice(probably little used) feature and I'm guessing they dropped it on our EZ models to save money and by then people were using HDMI(which all EZ models have) and component was mainly a footnote in history.

I'm 1/4 Czech rest Scandanavian, never been to your part of the world, closest I got was probably Vienna shortly after the Berlin wall came down and while many people of the time were going to Budapest, I was a little scared of going so far east(as in eastern Europe). Yes I can understand your situation, I'm guessing DVD Recorders were probably not all that common in your country, I know England probably had more models that we did in N. America but thats a long! way from you Even the middle east where a lot of the international Panasonics seem to have been meant to sell is a long way from you, I'm guessing Germany may be the closest country to you that had lots of DVDRs in the day but I'm sure Europe, like my country they are becoming harder and harder to find, they will probably turn out to be a short footnote in history

Looking at my link it looks like the ES-35v was available as an international model, I'd bet it's got all the same features as our ES-35v(including the ability to output VHS over component but finding one may be all but impossible for you

I wish you luck on your quest, any more questions feel free to ask but again I'm really quite ignorant on PAL only Panasonics or really much on anything PAL only.
post #10 of 19 Old 10-04-2019, 05:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azuritko View Post
Hello I want to ask if someone can suggest best combo to digitize VHS tapes. There are USB grabber. I tried one cheap but it makes the poor VHS quality even worst. I have tried basic VHS recorders with TV card in computer, but from Scart connector the video lags sometimes, from AV connector the quality is worst. I do not know where to ask so maybe here you should know what recorder or video grabber or combination of video recorder and game capture or TV card or.... should work best without more video issues that are common for VHS tapes. So the best stream of video that is as it is I am trying too long and I can not buy anything and hope it will be good enough. Not enough money for trial and error. Thank you a lot for any help.
Any luck tracking down an older Panasonic DVDR or combo? The more I think about it, the more I think they might be like a unicorn in your part of the world. Even around here they are becoming harder and harder to find, they might be all but impossible or overly expensive if you could track one down
I'm thinking since it sounds like you do have access to capture devices, to just get a decent composite VCR(which alone sounds like it may not be that easy) and go that route. While a VCR with component output may give you slightly better picture quality, remember standard VHS is really just a composite source so you can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear Now is you had S-VHS or D-VHS that would be a different story and I'm not saying you wouldn't gain anything even with regular VHS but it would be minimal at best.
post #11 of 19 Old 10-07-2019, 09:18 AM - Thread Starter

Hey, I have done a lot of searching. There is many Europian models. Every model can be found for sale on Ebay from England, Germany or Italy. So the postage cost is about 20€. Problem is that the minimum cost of the device is around 100€. Second problem is that I do not know for sure which model is best one. So I have asked Panasonic support in our country. They do not know anything about it. Today I have asked Panasonic support in england and Germany. Hope they will answer soon.
Actually basic VHS recorders I have four of them. And I have TV card in computer which accepts composite. One VHS device has only scart. So I bought Scart to Composite. It works but video sometimes lags. Second device has mono Composite. No lag but quality is lower. Third device has also mono Composite but I did not try it yet. Fourth device is VHS/DVD combo but no recording. And it has component output but just for DVD. It has no composite. And again scart from it lags. It is absolutely no problem in my country to find VHS recorder. But every recorder seems to be old scrap. And only scart or composite out. And someone suggested me that with game capture device I can get good results but I bought cheap one with just component out and did not know that my VHS/DVD combo has just DVD component out. Now I have a lot of devices but nothing good enough.
Oh and I found one EZ48-v for sale in Czech Republic. And it costs more than 200€.
Still hope that Panasonic will clear out what model for Europe is the best and I will wait for better money days and will buy one from Ebay.
post #12 of 19 Old 10-07-2019, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azuritko View Post
Oh and I found one EZ48-v for sale in Czech Republic. And it costs more than 200€.
Still hope that Panasonic will clear out what model for Europe is the best and I will wait for better money days and will buy one from Ebay.
Good luck, I know the NTSC EZ-48v was one of, if not the worst Panasonic model made although the European PAL model may have been different. Also I'm pretty sure the NTSC version lacked the DC(direct couple) option of being able to output VHS over component and S-video out, although it did output VHS over HDMI but that probably wouldn't do you any good as the vast majority of HDMI to S-video/composite converters I've used were crap for picture quality
DVD Recorders were never really that popular in the USA and getting harder and hard to find used even here, England was probably the last holdout and even had some nice Freeview Blue Ray recorders never available in the NTSC format, our last Panasonic DVDR in the US was the EZ-48v which kind of left a sour note for many.
post #13 of 19 Old 10-10-2019, 01:51 AM - Thread Starter

I have answer from UK Panasonic.
"In response to your query, I would need to inform you that we stopped manufacturing DVD recorders that accept VHS tapes. As such, we would only be able to advise on our last model that was able to perform the operation you mentioned in the e-mail that I am responding to. This unit would be the DMR-EX99, manufactured in 2013, and it is able to copy the information from a VHS tape to a DVD. As it was the last Panasonic model to do this, it would have the highest specifications in it's range."

I have searched it on Ebay, the price is around 600€.
post #14 of 19 Old 10-10-2019, 08:56 AM

Unfortunately I was afraid that was what they would say
People in large corporations like Panasonic just seem to know about what's current, surprised they even knew what a DVDR was
You need to ask people that actually use them. The UK has a site similar to AVS that at one time anyway had an active DVDR forum, here's a link to it, hopefully someone there will know PAL machines like I know NTSC ones
https://www.avforums.com/forums/blu-...recorders.148/
post #15 of 19 Old 10-10-2019, 09:19 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you for the link. But same day that I have asked here I also asked on the AV forum you mentioned but without any respond.
But new update today I have phone call with someone in our country who sells Samsung DVD-VR320 so I gave it a try. It costs me 37€. It will arrive next week. It looks like it has component and S-video out also for VHS part. And it is capable to record on DVD-s. If nothink else, maybe it will be still better than my other tries.
post #16 of 19 Old 10-10-2019, 12:41 PM

Good luck Samsung DVDRs were never that popular in N. America, I tried almost every major brand back in the day but not a Samsung, I wish you luck with it. Here on AVS we had the odd question about Samsungs but they mostly went unanswered as none of the regulars had one. Samsung is a very popular and high-quality brand in N. America but mostly for flat-screen TVs and DVD players and VCRs back when they were around oh and of course cell phones which along with flat-screen TVs must be their current mainstay.
post #17 of 19 Old 10-21-2019, 03:20 PM - Thread Starter

So after first few tests. I have tested the component connection TV and it works also with VCR. I have tested Component connection with game capture device and recorded on inside HDD then on USB HDD and it seems that quality is same on both. But there is something like lines on the edges of objects. Pixel lines. But I have tested it on VHS with bed quality recording from TV. (do not want to do first tests on VHS I do not want to destroy)

Then I have tested S-video with my TV card on PC but it is not working. It shows just grey moving objects and do not have other device to test it on.

Then I have tested Composite with my TV card on PC and it works. Quality is worst as with Component and game capture device. I think that much worst.

The last test stays unclear. DVD player is not accepting any DVDs. Empty or with video on. But when I light inside the device, it looks like there is a lot of dust. I have cleared dust in whole thing but not inside dvd player. So I have to open it up, clear dust, and will see if it starts to reed or not.

So far quality looks improved against Composite. But I do not like "pixel lines". Hope I will make the DVD player work and then I will make final tests on studio VHS recordings and compare results. I will post photos with final results there on this topic.
post #18 of 19 Old 10-22-2019, 02:07 PM - Thread Starter

I forgot to mention that I am talking about Samsung DVD-VR320 in my last message. It came full of dust without cover for DVD player and some buttons on front panel are not working. Nevermind, the remote control works. I have cleaned it tryed to repair buttons (board was broken so I soldered crashed connections. But still it seems that some buttons needs to be changed. It is not worth the time to do it).

To continue in the story previous story. I opened it up again and also opened DVD player. I have blew away dust and cleaned laser lens with isopropyl alcohol. Imidietly it looks more shiny. I have tested it and it works. DVD can record VCR in 4 modes. XP for about 1 hour. SP for about 2 hours. LP for about 4 hours. EP for about 6 hours. With the bed VHS copy I have tested XP and EP mode. EP was bad as composite. XP was very similar to Component. There are also the "pixel lines". No clue what it is but it is not so much noticeble. I can not clearly tell that DVD XP is better over Component. Maybe little. I have to do more testing with studio VHS copies so I can clearly tell which way I will record all VHS.

But it looks that I grabed the bargain. For the money I have very good recorder. Lucky that I know how to repair some major problems.
post #19 of 19 Old 10-23-2019, 07:22 AM

Good luck, again I'm not really familiar with Samsung DVDRs but every DVDR I've used keeps full D1 Resolution(720x480 in my country, probably 720x576?? in PAL countries), most DVDRs do drop the resolution to 1/2 D1 on speeds longer than SP. The only thing you gain on going faster than SP(XP) is a faster bitrate, the resolution is the same D1 as SP. If you starve bitrate the picture can start to macroblock or break up into smaller squares. I pretty much used SP or FR for my VHS conversions using my Panasonic DVDRs trying to not fit more than about 2hrs 42min if possible but never more than 3hrs/DVD. If my source was longer than 3hrs I'd split the tape to 2 DVDs as again if you bitstarve your source(especially at full D1 resolution) macroblocking becomes an issue, in my opinion, XP isn't really worth it and some very old DVD players will not play XP recorded discs but again this is VERY old players, probably nothing you'd find around anymore.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DVD Players (Standard Def)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page