Pioneer Laserdisc CLD-S310 Repair Needed - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By Andy Summers
  • 1 Post By Kurtis Bahr
  • 1 Post By Kurtis Bahr

post #1 of 9 Old 01-04-2020, 05:09 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Pioneer Laserdisc CLD-S310 Repair Needed

Hi,

I’m totally new to Laserdisc and this CLD-S310 I have is not functioning correctly. It powers on but as the slider thing moves forward it gets caught behind the tray and makes a rather awful noise as the motor whirs away. If I press the button to open either tray, the motor whirs but nothing happens.

Is it obvious what is going wrong here and is there a fix? My main issue is I have no idea what should be happening!

I really appreciate any help. Let me know if I can offer further info.

Cheers,
Matt
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	9ECFD9DB-E700-4F7E-875E-AA29B14FEC59.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	142.0 KB
ID:	2664272   Click image for larger version

Name:	FC0EBA08-0ACF-4783-8F5D-72B619A22868.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	132.5 KB
ID:	2664274   Click image for larger version

Name:	C4648AEB-52BA-4301-8C69-14F436343483.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	142.5 KB
ID:	2664276  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 01-05-2020, 03:20 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 4
I know the sound its making. Sounds as if possibly the belt that goes around one of the servo motors the belt is wearing and doesn't have enough tension to be able to turn the cogs that moves the laser assailable up and down smoothly therefore its jamming and struggles. Commonly if you use your hand and bang the top of the player it often jolts and the disc tray opens and often when closing the disc tray, it happens again. Its common with all most Pioneer laserdisc players and anyone else, and now you.

Its a misalignment or the belt needs to be changed for a new one. The belts can often be found on ebay and are cheap. Question is are you up to repairing it baring in mind its a delicate piece of gear and taking pictures of the disassembly of it so that its put back together in the same order for it to work.

---Edit---
Gosh, wow. don't usual find repair videos.

Matt4567 likes this.

Last edited by Andy Summers; 01-05-2020 at 03:25 PM.
post #3 of 9 Old 01-05-2020, 08:29 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt4567 View Post
Hi,

I’m totally new to Laserdisc and this CLD-S310 I have is not functioning correctly. It powers on but as the slider thing moves forward it gets caught behind the tray and makes a rather awful noise as the motor whirs away. If I press the button to open either tray, the motor whirs but nothing happens.

Is it obvious what is going wrong here and is there a fix? My main issue is I have no idea what should be happening!

I really appreciate any help. Let me know if I can offer further info.

Cheers,
Matt

With this player there is an issue with the plastic gray colored piece the holds the little motor on the laser assembly. There are two gears between the motor worm gear and the track it moves on. The pins that hold the gears in place break and the gears are floating. If you manually try to push the laser forward or back and either one of the two gears have an up/down movement thenthe gray piece is bad and causes erratic behavior. If the gears are good they should just stay stationary only with a turn motion. Don't push hard enough to turn them as it can break the pins.

If this is good then the next issue is that there should be a couple tabs sticking up from the bottom that the pickup will move sideways as the pickup moves toward the spindle motor. These switches provide signals to the controller to let it know the position of the pickup. If these switches are bad then the pickup will just keep moving forward until it is up to the spindle motor.
Matt4567 likes this.

Last edited by Kurtis Bahr; 01-05-2020 at 08:41 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 01-05-2020, 08:32 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Forgot to add that the E3 error in the display means the laser pickup is not properly positioned or that the position switch is not working.
Matt4567 likes this.
post #5 of 9 Old 01-06-2020, 12:23 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the prompt responses - that video is interesting. It shows the guy remove the tray by just sliding it out but I can’t seem to do that at all. It won’t budge. Do I have to open the front door to get the tray out? If so, how do I do that?

The issue is definitely the spindle. I’m turning the wheel in the lower left and the mechanism only tilts slightly - it doesn’t lower. It seems to be stuck in the up position, but without being able to remove the tray it’s difficult to see if there’s a belt issue.
post #6 of 9 Old 01-06-2020, 04:19 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

There are a couple “J” shaped tabs on the back of the tray, they need to be pushed to the side to avoid the catch so the tray can be removed.
post #7 of 9 Old 01-06-2020, 10:33 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurtis Bahr View Post
There are a couple “J” shaped tabs on the back of the tray, they need to be pushed to the side to avoid the catch so the tray can be removed.
The tabs/catches appear to be for when the tray is in the ejected position - I can’t even move the tray into that position. It’s just stuck sitting right on top of the mechanism and I can’t see what’s stopping it moving. The video shows the guy just slide it out into the eject position then move the tabs to remove it completely.
post #8 of 9 Old 01-07-2020, 06:03 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

If the mechanic mechanism raises up while you are pulling out the tray then the mechanical assembly timing is out of sync. I’ve seen this when the unit was not properly powered down before shipment. In all your pictures it is in the up position and it needs to be in the down position the entire time the drawer is opening and closing.
post #9 of 9 Old 01-07-2020, 11:47 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurtis Bahr View Post
If the mechanic mechanism raises up while you are pulling out the tray then the mechanical assembly timing is out of sync. I’️ve seen this when the unit was not properly powered down before shipment. In all your pictures it is in the up position and it needs to be in the down position the entire time the drawer is opening and closing.
Thanks - I guess this is unfixable (for me, at least) as I can’t seem to lower the mechanism manually. I can’t see the workings to find out why that is because I can’t remove the tray. 😞
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DVD Players (Standard Def)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page