1Likes
  • 1 Post By Ken.F

post #1 of 5 Old 03-24-2020, 10:40 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Convert old VHS to digital

Hello not sure if this is the proper place to ask the question if not I suppose one of our moderators will move it to the appropriate section

what is the best way to convert old VHS tapes to digital format
I’ve been watching YouTube videos which detail using a video capture device to computer.
If this is in fact a viable option any recommendations on the best capture device, I know quality what varies widely.

Additionally is it better to put the VHS directly to digital on a PC or record to a DVD ?
I have access to an old DVD recorder by Magnavox don’t know if it’s worth the effort or if DVD is a moot point today

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 03-26-2020, 02:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 2382 Post(s)
Liked: 2769
Quote:
Originally Posted by av409 View Post
Additionally is it better to put the VHS directly to digital on a PC or record to a DVD ?
I've done it both ways, capturing it on the PC using a Hauppauge TV tuner card and by recording with my Magnavox HDD/DVD recorder. The quality ends up about the same both ways so do whatever is the most convenient for you. I can't recommend any hardware since my Hauppauge 2250 and Magnavox recorders have been out of production for years.
post #3 of 5 Old 03-27-2020, 02:32 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken.F View Post
I've done it both ways, capturing it on the PC using a Hauppauge TV tuner card and by recording with my Magnavox HDD/DVD recorder. The quality ends up about the same both ways so do whatever is the most convenient for you. I can't recommend any hardware since my Hauppauge 2250 and Magnavox recorders have been out of production for years.
ok thanks
if i do try recording via the DVD is there any one particular type of disc that would be preferred?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 03-27-2020, 03:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 521 Post(s)
Liked: 1991
Quote:
Hello not sure if this is the proper place to ask the question if not I suppose one of our moderators will move it to the appropriate section

what is the best way to convert old VHS tapes to digital format
I’ve been watching YouTube videos which detail using a video capture device to computer.
If this is in fact a viable option any recommendations on the best capture device, I know quality what varies widely.

I have access to an old DVD recorder by Magnavox don’t know if it’s worth the effort or if DVD is a moot point today

Thanks
I bought a used Magnavox VCR to DVD recorder about 10 years ago on Ebay. After I was done transferring all my tapes it sat in a closet for 5 years. Don't recall the model, but I ended up selling it on my local Craigslist. There are still today loads of used ones on Amazon and Ebay for $100-$300+. As for discs, the best I ever used were "Verbatim DVD+RW". I used these for the ability to re-write over and over. Always worked great. Stay away from Memorex. 2 or 3 out of 10 will be bad.
post #5 of 5 Old 03-27-2020, 04:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 2382 Post(s)
Liked: 2769
Quote:
ok thanks
if i do try recording via the DVD is there any one particular type of disc that would be preferred?
If you plan on storing the DVDs the Verbatim AZO discs are good ones. My go-to discs were Taiyo Yuden Premium DVD-R TYG02 back in the day but I don't think they make them anymore.

I never used RW discs for long term storage. It might be OK to do that but it just feels wrong to me.
jjeff likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DVD Players (Standard Def)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page