post #1 of 9 Old 05-09-2020, 08:17 AM - Thread Starter
ADU
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 783 Post(s)
Liked: 1835
Remember Component Video?

...with the three red, green and blue cables.

My first two DVD players had this. I just checked my Blu-ray player though, and it doesn't. Though it does have Composite video out, so I can still watch Blu-rays downconverted to 480i on my old Wards SD CRT (which I still have, thank you very much!).

My first DVD player was a Progressive scanning Sony NS-715P, with YPbPr component video out on it. And I had it connected to my old 200-lb Sony 34" XBR800 CRT via YPbPr component cables so I could watch DVD movies in TRUE 480p. Whoohoo! Those were the days!

Don't think I have that player anymore. But I still have my first upscaling DVD player which has both YPbPr and HDMI outputs. And it still works ok. My XBR800 did not have an HDMI input, but it did have an HDCP-compliant DVI input. So I was able to watch DVDs upscaled to 1080i through that, using an HDMI to DVI adapter, with a separate audio connection (since the DVI input did not accept audio).

YPbPr component video was the next step up in analog quality from composite and S-Video. You can read more about it here...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Component_video
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/YPbPr

S-video is also technically considered a form of component video, because it splits the video signal into two components, luma and chroma.

I still have the component cables, remote & manual from my XBR800! Though the TV itself took a trip to CRT heaven (also known as the electronics recycler)!

Last edited by ADU; 05-09-2020 at 08:29 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 05-18-2020, 07:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 24
I remember when we didn't want a single wire video solution (say no to 5C copy protection!!) but we did want a single wire audio (get rid of mulitchannel audio from SACD/DVD-A).

Those were the days......digital is actually kind of boring.
ADU likes this.

I've seen things you wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate.
post #3 of 9 Old 05-21-2020, 07:37 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADU View Post

My first two DVD players had this. I just checked my Blu-ray player though, and it doesn't. Though it does have Composite video out, so I can still watch Blu-rays downconverted to 480i on my old Wards SD CRT (which I still have, thank you very much!).

My first DVD player was a Progressive scanning Sony NS-715P, with YPbPr component video out on it. And I had it connected to my old 200-lb Sony 34" XBR800 CRT via YPbPr component cables so I could watch DVD movies in TRUE 480p. Whoohoo! Those were the days!

Don't think I have that player anymore. But I still have my first upscaling DVD player which has both YPbPr and HDMI outputs. And it still works ok. My XBR800 did not have an HDMI input, but it did have an HDCP-compliant DVI input. So I was able to watch DVDs upscaled to 1080i through that, using an HDMI to DVI adapter, with a separate audio connection (since the DVI input did not accept audio).

YPbPr component video was the next step up in analog quality from composite and S-Video. You can read more about it here...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Component_video
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/YPbPr

S-video is also technically considered a form of component video, because it splits the video signal into two components, luma and chroma.

I still have the component cables, remote & manual from my XBR800! Though the TV itself took a trip to CRT heaven (also known as the electronics recycler)!
Still have DVD player with it
ADU likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 05-21-2020, 07:41 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 338 Post(s)
Liked: 177
I'd rather forget component video cables. Better Cables was my go to and they were always expensive. That was just to get 480p.
ADU likes this.
post #5 of 9 Old 05-21-2020, 07:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1826 Post(s)
Liked: 943
Yep...and I still have a single piece of gear (an old OTA HDTV receiver/DVR--quite an expensive relic) that uses it. In fact, I just pulled a component cable from my old cable DVR that was retired when I went OTT. Good thing my AVR converts component->HDMI out.
ADU likes this.

Yamaha RX-A2050 AVR [v1.81], LG 65EF9500 4K OLED [v4.26.05], Roku
5.0.2 set-up: (4) Polk Monitor 10B's, (2) Polk Monitor 4's, Polk CS300 center
Analog: B&O TX2 Turntable, Nakamichi Cassette Deck 1
Digital: Pioneer CLD-99 LD, Panasonic DMP-UB900 UHD [v1.80]
post #6 of 9 Old 05-21-2020, 08:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 830 Post(s)
Liked: 720
I sure miss those days when we tried to cram all those wires from our components behind a cabinet.
ADU likes this.
post #7 of 9 Old 05-21-2020, 08:08 AM

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 2103 Post(s)
Liked: 3064
I remember component video and don't miss it. Very happy with HDMI.
ADU likes this.
post #8 of 9 Old 05-23-2020, 06:08 PM - Thread Starter
ADU

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 783 Post(s)
Liked: 1835
post #9 of 9 Old 05-23-2020, 06:24 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADU View Post

Yes, Yes I do. I still have my Infocus SP4800 (Really an X1 w/SP4800 firmware update). I just replaced it a year ago, this week actually, when the Blues made the Stanley Cup Final. We still use it for the Faroudja DCDI on the s-video input. It's a side unit set for old video game systems. The Faroudja chipset makes the PS2, Game Cube, and Dreamcast look pretty good @ about 40". 5 or 6 years ago I had to buy a used Samsung bluray for it because anything made after 2010ish wouldn't output 1080i over component. Don't laugh, I just swapped my 2006ish era Onkyo TX-SR703 for a Pioneer VSX-LX303 because the old schooler didn't have HDMI and all the new video game systems don't have optical out.
ADU likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DVD Players (Standard Def)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page