Panasonic DVD players made region/macrovision free without physical mods (some) - Page 6 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #151 of 168 Old 04-20-2006, 10:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I agree, get a second player. I have 14 including 2 RP91s and 2 XP50s.

Quote:

The hardware mods are expensive, and worthless if you don't have a PAL monitor.

Not true, I use it to feed my video processor with upcoverts it to HD. I get a much better image with that than a pal converting player. Too each his own.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 168 Old 04-20-2006, 11:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrwilson View Post

Not true, I use it to feed my video processor with upcoverts it to HD. I get a much better image with that than a pal converting player. Too each his own.

You are quibbling.

You DO have something that will accept a PAL signal (be it a monitor or a video processor). If all you have is an NTSC television, the mods to the RP91 are expensive and useless.

It is MUCH cheaper to buy a sub-$50 DVD player than to get the mods for the RP91 and a PAL television or video processor.

Joe

Home Page (click to enter)
RCA Television Service Information (DTV306/7 and ITC222)
post #153 of 168 Old 04-21-2006, 06:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

True, but if you have a regular 'ol NTSC tv then why have an RP91?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #154 of 168 Old 04-21-2006, 07:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

True, but if you have a regular 'ol NTSC tv then why have an RP91?

My TV (an RCA D56W20) is "NTSC", HD Ready. In my case, it means that it can tune NTSC OTA, and that it has component video and DVI inputs. It can tune 480i, 480p, and 1080i via component and DVI. Most television sets in the US, even those with internal ATSC tuners, cannot "tune" PAL video signals. Please correct me if I'm wrong -- is the PAL output from the modded RP91's viewable on a US television set in 480p mode? I'm not aware that it is.

For what it is worth, I purchased the RP91 because of its ability to manually scale video. My set (like many HD Ready sets) can only manually scale video at 480i. For 480p it is aspect-locked. That means when using the progressive output of the DVD player, incorrectly flagged letterboxed DVD's like "9-1/2 Weeks", and "bonus material" that is in the letterbox format on anamorphic DVD's are "frozen" in a 4:3 aspect ratio. I don't like the zoom modes on my TV, so rather than watching them in 480i and zooming them with the set, I use the RP91 to zoom them in progressive mode.

Thanks,

Joe

post #155 of 168 Old 04-21-2006, 08:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Yes, it's perfect for HD capable (480p and up) display. But a regular 'ol ntsc interlaced set it is not.

The RP91 with the mod will only output 576i PAL. There never was a formal 575p format as they couldn't get macrovision to work with it. However, there are players that do ouput 575p, mostly Chinese made.

FYI, I'm willing to sell my RP91 service disc if anyone needs one.
post #156 of 168 Old 04-23-2006, 03:01 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
What is the price for the service disc?
post #157 of 168 Old 05-06-2006, 12:00 PM

I have copy of the PANA-DVD service disc (on a Verbatim DVD-R For Authouring) that I used to upgrade my RV31 (UK model) The disc is labelled DVD-TS20 is it any use to anyone ??? As I Don't need it anymore.
post #158 of 168 Old 05-09-2006, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sango View Post

The disc cannot be copied because there is an area on the disc which cannot be dublicated even thou if you copied the disc successfully. Attempting to do so anyway will result corruption of the firmware on the dvd player after the password confirmation when the disc is being read.
---

Add on: If you guys are putting passwords in without the disc (as a test) and confirming, the unit will "initialize" itself so factory default settings so you guys need to put the user settings back in again. But if you don't want your unit to initialize itself, simply just power off the unit and turn on again when the password window pops up.

I join " panasonic service disk " my dvd, initially(originally) I work, but then, spend(pass) something, like to restart and now the leds gleam and in the display it(he,she) goes out "change", since I recover the unit of dvd..

thanks.

hugo fernando
post #159 of 168 Old 05-09-2006, 09:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamera_hfmd View Post

I join " panasonic service disk " my dvd, initially(originally) I work, but then, spend(pass) something, like to restart and now the leds gleam and in the display it(he,she) goes out "change", since I recover the unit of dvd..

thanks.

hugo fernando

Hugo,

My guess is that your native language is not English. That's OK -- but I don't have a clue what you meant to say. Would you try to be a little clearer? By "join" do you mean you loaded the "Panasonic Service Disc 2" DVD into your DVD player? what does "spend(pass) something, like to restart and now the leds gleam and in the display it(he,she) goes out "change", since I recover the unit of dvd" mean?

Joe

post #160 of 168 Old 05-10-2006, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrJoe View Post

Hugo,

My guess is that your native language is not English. That's OK -- but I don't have a clue what you meant to say. Would you try to be a little clearer? By "join" do you mean you loaded the "Panasonic Service Disc 2" DVD into your DVD player? what does "spend(pass) something, like to restart and now the leds gleam and in the display it(he,she) goes out "change", since I recover the unit of dvd" mean?

Joe

thanks.

Unit will not play DVD's, Spindle motot not turning, all 5 Disc
indications are lighting up and blinking in a pattern and the unit's LED
readout reads...."CHANGE" and will give and error code of..........."DVD
???". Any help?

hugo fernando
post #161 of 168 Old 07-07-2006, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sango View Post

The image requires both an authorizing burner (which is basically for commerical use) and media. You'll be looking at spending 4K+ to get this kind of stuff..

So does anyone in the UK have the Panasonic DVD Service Disk 2, please?

As mentioned elsewhere, dvdchips in the uk will rent them for (now) £22, but I'd rather borrow someone else's!!

Stroller.
post #162 of 168 Old 02-19-2007, 10:54 PM

Hi

Does anyone in western Canada, or Canada, or even North america have the Panasonic DVD Service Disk 2? I would pay for shipping both ways, or even buy it from you.

bcurrell
post #163 of 168 Old 11-12-2007, 03:02 PM

Hi there,

I'm in the UK and have a european Panasonic RV-41 dvd player. I'm not sure if its any different to the US version. I was wondering if anyone knows whether the US firmware update will work on the european player?

Thanks, Matt
post #164 of 168 Old 10-27-2008, 09:58 AM

Hey Guys,

This thread looks like it was originally about the Panasonic Service Disk (2) I was just wondering if anyone has one, or has been able to copy one?

I would be happy to pay shipping and/or buy it, but at the moment I am in Japan. Which is why I need it actually I managed to pick up a "Panasonic Q" (gamecube DVD player hybrid) for only like $60 and was hoping to bring it home cause its so damn pretty. Well now that I have Gone way off topic I will stop

But please let me know if you can help me through a PM or just on the thread.

ChisDaMan
post #165 of 168 Old 01-17-2012, 03:01 PM

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 31
I don't suppose anybody still has a copy of this disc they would like to sell or lend me? I too have a Panasonic Q and this disc will make it region free.
post #166 of 168 Old 03-24-2012, 07:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I do.
post #167 of 168 Old 09-24-2018, 11:48 PM

Liked: 0
Quote:
I do.
Yup, reviving the dead with this old thread. Hoping to land a Panasonic Service Disk 2 from someone.. probably a fat chance after 6 years but can't hurt to try.
post #168 of 168 Old 09-28-2018, 02:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 958 Post(s)
Liked: 528
Not sure exactly WHAT the fol. Firmware Update does....but price is in Euro's so MAYBE it supports European PAL Disc Format??? You might want to Call/Email first....or simply TRY it and see what happens:
http://www.jvbdigital.nl/jvb.asp?cur...itle&title=156 [Euro so maybe Euro PAL...or BOTH???]
http://www.jvbdigital.nl/jvb.asp?cur...itle&title=156 [$$$ so maybe US NTSC...or BOTH???]

Note that JVB Digital also sells Upgrade Kits (or in-factory Service) to upgrade YOUR Player....
Site search for Panasonic RV-41 came up empty [I suspect their dBase is incomplete]....cuz GOOGLE found it:
http://jvbdigital.com/jvb.asp?cur=1&...itle&title=150

================================================== =====

Many DVD and BD Players will accept a particular R/C sequence of key pushes to Enable Region Free mode. Unfortunately, Panasonic RV-41 was NOT one of those Players. You might want to get an alternative dual NTSC/PAL capable Player (my back room Player only cost $40) that CAN be quickly changed to Enable Region Free mode. Or set up a SECOND Player that is CHANGED to a be a second Region Player....many will allow a limited number of such changes:
https://www.videohelp.com/dvdhacks

Last edited by holl_ands; 09-28-2018 at 02:45 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DVD Players (Standard Def)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page