Denon 3910 Owners Thread - Page 252 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 6Likes

post #7531 of 7545 Old 12-20-2017, 05:54 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbarach View Post
^^

I could not hear a difference between the DACS in these two pieces of equipment.

You may or may not remember that Denon tried to sell a special DenonLink cable for $500. Any piece of CAT6 Ethernet cable will work fine.
It is good to know that the DACs from the 3910 and 3805 do not sound very differently from each other. This encourages me certainly to use the DenonLink option.
An original DenonLink cable was included in my combo package deal (300 euro's), alternatively a cheap ethernet cable would do.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7532 of 7545 Old 12-22-2017, 08:01 AM

The DL3 is now connected to both the 3910 and 3805, in addition to the existing analog 5.1 cables. The initial setup has now become much easier indeed. First impression is a fine playback of SACD(-R) disks through DL3. I intend to do further comparisons between DL3 and analog playback of SACD for getting the best possible sound quality.
SACD is supposed to have inherently better sound quality by having for example a higher bitrate, frequency range and dynamics compared with the redbook CD. I favor the SACD over my CDs for better quality playback and concert hall atmosphere of classical music.
Last week I attended a concert with a performance of Bruckner's 4th symphony by a very large orchestra. Oh my, such a live concert can in my opinion hardly ever be reproduced in the living room by whatever equipment is available, to downplay a little our esoteric equipment discussions. Although the aim is and remains to approach it as close as possible.

I encountered this early post #6986 (2007)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbarach View Post

My receiver (Denon 3805) has Denon Link 3, but I find that the 3910 has better DAC's, so I get better sound by letting the 3910 do the digital-to-analog conversion and transmitting the analog signal to the receiver via the analog connections.
Spot on, that was also my initial idea. I know, it is such a long time ago and I hesitate to ask, but would you still remember some, or have any notes, of those config settings?

Merry Christmas to all of you.
post #7533 of 7545 Old 12-22-2017, 12:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 599 Post(s)
Liked: 373
Q

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kor010 View Post
The DL3 is now connected to both the 3910 and 3805, in addition to the existing analog 5.1 cables. The initial setup has now become much easier indeed. First impression is a fine playback of SACD(-R) disks through DL3. I intend to do further comparisons between DL3 and analog playback of SACD for getting the best possible sound quality.
SACD is supposed to have inherently better sound quality by having for example a higher bitrate, frequency range and dynamics compared with the redbook CD. I favor the SACD over my CDs for better quality playback and concert hall atmosphere of classical music.
Last week I attended a concert with a performance of Bruckner's 4th symphony by a very large orchestra. Oh my, such a live concert can in my opinion hardly ever be reproduced in the living room by whatever equipment is available, to downplay a little our esoteric equipment discussions. Although the aim is and remains to approach it as close as possible.

I encountered this early post #6986 (2007)

Spot on, that was also my initial idea. I know, it is such a long time ago and I hesitate to ask, but would you still remember some, or have any notes, of those config settings?

Merry Christmas to all of you.
Which config settings do you mean? If you have been playing SACDs through the DL3 cable and you've run the RoomEQ calibration, you should be all set.

Denon x4400h, Samsung LED 1080p TV, B&W 704 mains, two M&K subwoofers, Oppo 103, Roku 2, Darbeevision, etc.
Headphone system: Focal Clear, Sennheiser HD600, AKG K702, Hifiman HE-400i, Marantz HD-DAC1, Denon DVD-3910
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7534 of 7545 Old 12-22-2017, 03:15 PM

I am referring to the 3910 config settings for the analog 5.1 output that you preferred over the DL3 connection in your early post #6986 .

Regards
post #7535 of 7545 Old 12-22-2017, 03:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I am referring to the 3910 config settings for the analog 5.1 output that you preferred over the DL3 connection in your early post #6986 .

Regards
I wrote that post 10 years ago. With more listening time, I changed my mind and decided that I heard no difference between the analog outputs as compared to DL3.
Zen Traveler likes this.

Denon x4400h, Samsung LED 1080p TV, B&W 704 mains, two M&K subwoofers, Oppo 103, Roku 2, Darbeevision, etc.
Headphone system: Focal Clear, Sennheiser HD600, AKG K702, Hifiman HE-400i, Marantz HD-DAC1, Denon DVD-3910
post #7536 of 7545 Old 02-07-2018, 09:58 AM

In another thread on this forum I finally found the answer I was looking for.

In short it boils down to the following for the combination DVD3910 and AVR3805.

Analog 5.1 signals are handled and controlled (including speaker delay and levels) by the DVD3910, with the AVR3805’s only role accepting 5.1 analog input (via EXT. IN) and its amplification.

Digital 5.1 output/input control is in the domain of the AVR3805 including speaker delay and levels. DVD3910 for only CD readout and output via DL3.

I am going to setup both 3910 and 3805 according to the outline above and determine my preference, if any.
post #7537 of 7545 Old 02-07-2018, 04:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
In another thread on this forum I finally found the answer I was looking for.

In short it boils down to the following for the combination DVD3910 and AVR3805.

Analog 5.1 signals are handled and controlled (including speaker delay and levels) by the DVD3910, with the AVR3805’s only role accepting 5.1 analog input (via EXT. IN) and its amplification.

Digital 5.1 output/input control is in the domain of the AVR3805 including speaker delay and levels. DVD3910 for only CD readout and output via DL3.

I am going to setup both 3910 and 3805 according to the outline above and determine my preference, if any.
While you're at it, there are also a separate set of 2-channel analog outputs from the 3910 that are supposed to have some kind of advantage over the same channels played over the 5.1 analog outputs. You could put them into the comparison process if you ever play 2-channel music and don't use a subwoofer.

post #7538 of 7545 Old 02-15-2018, 03:41 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi All, greetings from Greece!

I own a DENON 3910 since 2005 although the last few years only used same for hearing music (CDs) with a DENON 3805 as I bought a Blu Ray player and a media player for watching movies.

For the last years when turned on the DENON 3910 CD player, while pushed button for the cd tray to open, at first it made a sound when opened (like something disturbed tray to open) but after all
the tray opened. After some time, when pushed button to open the tray although it tried to, after all remained closed and then loaded (empty). After a few tries tray opened, but now you need lots of tries and
even a small screwdriver or knife to assist open tray which should certainly not be the case.

Asked local official Denon Dealer what would be the cost (a) for fully replacing the tray mechanism (worst case scenario) and told me approx Euro 360,00 !!! (spare part+work included) which i think it is too much to pay for a very nice player which is now 13 years old though... Any idea if it is possible to find and order a brand new original tray mechanism, if required, and at what approx cost? I have found one in the web / Aliexpress / but really do not know whether this is an original one (costs 59,00$ )

Have also read some threads about cleaning the tray belt by using special rubber oil etc but i'm not the guy that filling confident to open on my own the player and start doing DYI things

Any assistance your side is most welcomed!

Many thanks in advance
post #7539 of 7545 Old 02-15-2018, 05:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Have you tried looking on eBay for a used 3910? When you're using it with a 3805, it does have the advantage of transmitting SACD audio digitally to the AVR, which later Denon players don't do.

post #7540 of 7545 Old 11-30-2018, 11:06 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hello to all 3310 owners,

I recently exchanged a DENON DVD-3910 with a friend in excellent condition.

It plays back correctly every expected disc type, except for recordable DVD-A where the following odd thing happens.

While it normally starts to read the disc, navigate to menus, play all the conventional Audio Streams that are in various Menus/Extras,
when it comes to playback High Resolution MLP tracks, starts normally and in exactly 30 seconds goes to "STOP" mode.
It just stops playback by displaying "STOP" on the display.

Whenever I try again same thing happens, with different recordable discs, I tried DVD +R/-R single and double layer.
I've burned DVD-A Images with both Nero and ImgBurn, at the minimum speed of each disc.

On regular DVD-A discs this does not happen, playback is normal.

Also, thinking that the laser head is faulty due to weak power of laser, I replaced it ... but it didn't change anything.

Can anyone tell me if that rings a bell..?

Maybe a 3910 owner can try to playback a recordable DVD-A MLP Stream to see if it'll pass 30 secs playback..?

Thank you in advance guys.
post #7541 of 7545 Old 11-30-2018, 04:14 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by vvvippperrr View Post
While it normally starts to read the disc, navigate to menus, play all the conventional Audio Streams that are in various Menus/Extras,
when it comes to playback High Resolution MLP tracks, starts normally and in exactly 30 seconds goes to "STOP" mode.
It just stops playback by displaying "STOP" on the display.
You're likely bumping into digital watermarking. The DVD-3910 will stop at exactly 30 seconds into playback if the DVD-A you burned contains watermarked content (and not the other stuff necessary to authenticate the disc).
post #7542 of 7545 Old 11-30-2018, 05:09 PM

This is not happening when I playback the same discs on my DVD-2900...
Any solution - workaround for the 3910 ?
post #7543 of 7545 Old 12-10-2018, 12:24 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So, unsure if "michi" or anyone else is still around that cares about the laser pickups...

It's been quite a while since I packed my 3910 in a box awaiting the time to replace the pickup, as I too was having issues reading discs. After reading this thread, I had assumed it was the dreaded Fujitsu 1200R causing my issues. Well, low and behold, I finally pulled the pickup in preparation for fixing it myself and guess what, my DVD-3910, bought new and manufactured May 2005, has a 1200S. Obviously Fujitsu didn't correct their reliability issues between the R and S models...

Given that my setup was always in a clean (as it could be) rack with plenty of clean air circulating (no heat issues), I am surprised how these things passed QA at Denon. Now that Marantz is the high-end, I was also surprised to find that they used Fujitsu in their high-end models too. We will just have to hope things got fixed at some point along the way...

I am now waiting of the slow boat to deliver an 1120 and a 1200W-B. We shall see how long they last.
post #7544 of 7545 Old 02-25-2019, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MusicmanSeattle View Post
You're likely bumping into digital watermarking. The DVD-3910 will stop at exactly 30 seconds into playback if the DVD-A you burned contains watermarked content (and not the other stuff necessary to authenticate the disc).
MusicmanSeattle Thank you for pointed me out to the correct direction !
post #7545 of 7545 Old 05-18-2019, 04:21 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Hi. I know it's been several years, but which laser ended up being the correct one for the DENON DVD3930CI? Sanyo sfhd65/sf hd850? Need to know for immediate repair. Buy just the laser or the complete Traverse Mechanism?
Many thanks.
Kenny
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DVD Players (Standard Def)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page