The "Official" Denon DVD-2910 Owners Thread - Page 3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes

post #61 of 2987 Old 10-19-2004, 05:56 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:

Originally posted by jazzcat
Jeff, Gamma is not adjustable via DVI; only on component. There is an explanation on page 48. Sharpness (mid-hi), chroma delay and gamma.

You're right.

BUMMER
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 2987 Old 10-19-2004, 06:22 AM

I have had the same jitter/stutter problem on my new DVD-2910 as well. It happens only once or twice during a standard DVD playback through DVI, but enough to worry me. Is this a common problem?
post #63 of 2987 Old 10-19-2004, 07:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Denon 2910 DVI to Samsung HLP HDMI is there any problems with this hook up...My 2910 is coming in 2 weeks. I bought this DVI-HDMI cable from Ram.

Joe V.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 2987 Old 10-19-2004, 08:38 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Greg,

Is your stutter problem intermittent once it starts, or is it a continual stutter once it starts?

Odd...I hooked an S-Video cable from DVD to TV (while still DVI connected) to see if it stutters on both outputs, and it hasn't stuttered now for half a day... I'm confused but somewhat hopeful...

Chris
post #65 of 2987 Old 10-19-2004, 10:03 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 615 Post(s)
Liked: 382
jwv651: I have the Denon 1910 (on the basis of some of your earlier postings!--and very happy with it for my purposes).

With it, I tried using a DVI-HDMI cable from the 1910 (DVI) to my hlp 6163 (HDMI), and it did not work: had snowy static overlaying the picture. What did work was using a HDMI-HDMI cable, with a DVI-HDMI adapter ($35) at the 1910 end. Why the DVI-HDMI cable didn't work beats me; it should have. (All cables were Pacificable, which are usually considered quite solid.)
post #66 of 2987 Old 10-19-2004, 10:31 AM

I'm using the 2910 to feed a Panny AE700 via HDMI to HDMI and have a problem that about every 30 mins or so I get snow then it looses the HDMI connection, then it returns.

Any Ideas
post #67 of 2987 Old 10-19-2004, 01:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by millerwill
jwv651: I have the Denon 1910 (on the basis of some of your earlier postings!--and very happy with it for my purposes).

With it, I tried using a DVI-HDMI cable from the 1910 (DVI) to my hlp 6163 (HDMI), and it did not work: had snowy static overlaying the picture. What did work was using a HDMI-HDMI cable, with a DVI-HDMI adapter ($35) at the 1910 end. Why the DVI-HDMI cable didn't work beats me; it should have. (All cables were Pacificable, which are usually considered quite solid.)

I had the exact same hookup with my Denon1910 DVI to Sam HLP6163 HDMI and had no problem...you might of had a bad cable...I bought my cable at Ram...I just brought back my 1910 for a 2910...I am hoping to use the same cable from Ram since it was not real cheap...I have a DVI-DVI from Pacificable hooked up to my Dish 811 receiver to the HLP works perfect. When I had the Ram DVI/HDMI cable hooked up to the 811 to HLP I had a lot of back ground noise. Does it ever end

Joe V.
post #68 of 2987 Old 10-19-2004, 02:38 PM
Advanced Member

What are your opinions of the sound quality of DVD-A/SACD? I'm linked to the Analog inputs of a Denon 3805 and I must admit I am very pleased with the results.

One thing I noticed is when I set all the analog input volume levels to 0dB on the 3805 and then set the master volume on the 3805 to 0dB to calibrate the speaker level to 75db with the 2910, I have to crank the volume substancially higher in analog mode as opposed to the digital input. For DVD movies via analog I am running at around -6dB and with digital coaxial input it runs about -18dB to achieve the same volume output.
post #69 of 2987 Old 10-19-2004, 02:42 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 615 Post(s)
Liked: 382
jwv651: I will be very interested to hear your evaluation of the 2910 compared to the 1910. I've certainly read many posts saying the PQ of the 2910 is better, but then others that said 'not necessarily so'! I have no complaints with the 1910 I have (seems easy to adjust for any green tint by using the 1910's 'color' adjustment, without modifying the settings of the hlp) but one is of course always open to the possibility of improvement. I'm interested only in PQ via DVI, since I send the audio directly to an AV receiver via the digital optical cable.
post #70 of 2987 Old 10-19-2004, 05:22 PM

I'd like to see someone do a comparison between DVI and component with the 2910 and an EDTV at 480p. From my experience, it appears the colors have more "pop" with component than DVI.
post #71 of 2987 Old 10-19-2004, 08:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by millerwill
jwv651: I will be very interested to hear your evaluation of the 2910 compared to the 1910. I've certainly read many posts saying the PQ of the 2910 is better, but then others that said 'not necessarily so'! I have no complaints with the 1910 I have (seems easy to adjust for any green tint by using the 1910's 'color' adjustment, without modifying the settings of the hlp) but one is of course always open to the possibility of improvement. I'm interested only in PQ via DVI, since I send the audio directly to an AV receiver via the digital optical cable.

As soon as I receive the 2910 and after calibrating with Avia...I will post my opinion...I have a Samsung tech coming out hopefully next week to replace my smudged screens and hopefully fix the problem with the red/pink faces that I can't get rid of on the HLP6163. The 1910 is a great player...I just felt the 2910 might be a little better in the PQ dept. We will see!

Joe V.
post #72 of 2987 Old 10-19-2004, 11:09 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Thanks to my friendly neighborhood Tweeter, I just took home a Denon 2910 to do a direct A/B comparison to the 1910 which I've had for about a month. I only tested the DVI output because that's really all I was interested in. You might have read one of my other posts where I described the excessive macroblocking noise and green tinted artifacts during dark scenes on the "Day After Tommorow" DVD. Well I can tell you without a doubt that the 2910 almost completely eliminates all of this! You can still see some minor artifacts, but the green tint is completely gone and the macroblocking noise is very minimal. I was really hoping I wouldnt see a difference because now that I have, there's just no going back to the 1910. I also tested other discs with a lot of dark scenes... "Van Helsing" and "Underworld" for example. Same results, the 1910 has so much video "noise" during dark scenes that I dont know how I lasted this long with it. To be fair, I've heard that depending on your system (and how picky you are) you may not notice these artifacts to the same degree. In my case, I'm running the 2910 at 720p via DVI (BetterCables Display Magic DVI 3m) to a Samsung HLP-5085W. (Btw, in case you're thinking I'm picking up RF noise or some other type of interference, the entire system is line-conditioned and component isolated through an API PowerWedge) Overall, I'm really impressed with the quality of the 2910, but there are a few little things I noticed (remember, I only tested the DVI output). For one, the out-of-the-box black level seems higher than the 1910. (and this is even after adjusting the black level control setting on both) Colors also seem washed out (as in lacking saturation) and the picture in general has a "softer" look to it. The 1910 is slightly "crisper" at default settings. No worries though, like I said these are just the stock settings, the 2910 has so many video adjustments that I'm sure it can easily be adjusted to your liking. Another thing I noticed, the transport mechanism is definitely faster than the 1910...but noisier too. You can hear it whine when you first hit the play button. (After it starts going though its fine.) I also havent figured out how to turn off the front display on the player. (I would think a player at this level would have a display off feature.) Besides those few gripes, the 2910 appears to be an excellent DVI player. (The best I've seen so far!) I will most definitely be replacing my 1910, but I'm going to have them special order the silver version!
post #73 of 2987 Old 10-20-2004, 12:36 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

you can turn off the display on the front panel by the remote. if thats what your talking about.
post #74 of 2987 Old 10-20-2004, 02:42 AM

Well, my 2910 has once again started freezing up on all my discs, so it's going back to the dealer for a replacement. First, my $3700 Samsung DLP comes with smudges on the inside of the screen, then a $600 DVD player craps out three days after I install it. Do these companies know the meaning of quality control, or what???
post #75 of 2987 Old 10-20-2004, 03:53 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by darryl b
i have a vinc bravo d1.
have any of you 2910 owners had the d1? is the 2910 a worthwhile upgrade?

Just aboout ANYTHING is a worthwhile upgrade from a D1.

Jerry Rappaport
post #76 of 2987 Old 10-20-2004, 07:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

Originally posted by DrJRapp
Just aboout ANYTHING is a worthwhile upgrade from a D1.

I completely disagree with that, I have done head to head comparisons with the Samsung HD841 and Denon DVD-1910 via component and dvi, neither was any improvement. Both had serious black macroblocking, esp the 1910 it was nasty on all the sci fi material and there are dozens of posts about it. I returned it for a 2910. The HD841 was not as good overall and had a softer image.

I just brought a Denon dvd-2910 home to try to see if its an upgrade. I use DVI primarily for my ouput. I won't be able to test it until I get to connect it up to my plasma.

I posted a list of dvd players to the experts in the recent Secrets Benchmarks DVD thread on here, and the 2910(it was the highest end of the choices) the only one anyone though was an upgrade fo DVI use.

Part of the problem I having in finding a replacement is the V1 besides having virutally zero EE and no macroblocking is the ability to go in and set both the display's frequency and map pixel per pixel your displays EXACT resolution in the D1's second custom menu for display properties/mapping. Its like getting features of a really expensive scaler in some ways. You are able to map your D1 or D2 to match your displays resolution and frequency, that makes one hell of a difference when you view the dvd's. It keeps additional conversions and therefore data loss taking place as the image goes though into the display.

The only knock I ever saw against the D1 were some mechanical reliability issues, which were pretty much fixed in the D2. However to be fair, I never had the issues other D1 owners had. For the 199$ pricepoint, and being released a year ago or more it really was a great value. I use it to drive a Pioneer 503 plasma, with the 503's native hertz horizontal and vertical, and the exact pixel properties of the 503 set in the D1's display properties menu.

The only issue I had other than firmware updates were the occaisional freezing up of a dvd when inserted to play. A power recycle fixed it. Several people have replaced the loader with region free drives and now have region free players.

From doing extensive research this past three weeks, the D1 is proving very difficult to upgrade. I am guessing among the offerings you can buy at this moment, the 2910 is probably the least you can go to step up next.

The panny is coming, it might be, no way to know yet. I am surprised no has even seen that thing yet.

owner of several Samsung LCD Panels
post #77 of 2987 Old 10-20-2004, 08:41 AM
Advanced Member

Update on DVD-A discs. My 2910 will not play any of my AIX Records 96/24 5.1 hi res DVD-A's. It shows a warning stating that this side of the disc is hi res audio only and can't be played on this DVD player and to turn the disc over and watch the video of the artist(s) with sound in Dolby surround. My Panny RP82 did not have this issue. Also I have a Chesky DVD-A and I can't access the menu. It just says my choice is Dolby 5.1 with no means of playing beyond title #1.

In addition, the only visual menu I can get on some DVD-A's is the playlist. No lyric options and no format choices (5.1 vs. 2 channel; Videos, making of shots, etc). This is totally different than what I saw when I use the RP82. Also with Beck's Sea Change, still photos that normally sequence during the songs don't show up anymore; just a list of songs.

On a positive note, I am very impressed with the audio quality of what I can actually listen to but need to get these other issues resolved.
post #78 of 2987 Old 10-20-2004, 08:50 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Im alittle confused on your post, you say the rp82 will play dvd audio??? are you using dvi when you are doing this? some have reported not seeing the menus on dvi. what are the settings you have for sacd and dvd audio?
post #79 of 2987 Old 10-20-2004, 09:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

jazzcat,

Most AIX discs are recorded on two sides - one side for players that can play DVD-A (MLP) and the other side for every DVD player (DTS track).

Select Player Mode to "audio" in "Other Setup" (the last tab) of the setup menu of your 2910; place AIX DVD-A with DVD-A side facing up; and it should play.
post #80 of 2987 Old 10-20-2004, 09:40 AM
Advanced Member

kevin, I am using DVI. And yes, the RP82 can play DVD-A. It has 5.1 analog connections on back. I will have to check the settings. Guess I may need to hook up component and verify.

jigesh, yes, I was trying to play the red side (DVD-A) and it told me to use the blue (DVD) side. I will verify and change it to "audio" and see what that does. Hope it is simple user error (stupidity) on my part! AIX DVD certainly didn't sound as good as the DVD-A side I was used to!

Thanks for the info and I will report back when I get home today.
post #81 of 2987 Old 10-20-2004, 09:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Hope it is simple user error (stupidity) on my part!

No it's not. The DVD manufacturers should take care of it (auto-detect) instead of requiring users to preset it.
post #82 of 2987 Old 10-20-2004, 10:06 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Originally posted by jigesh
No it's not. The DVD manufacturers should take care of it (auto-detect) instead of requiring users to preset it.

So will I have to do that every time I switch from DVD-A to watching a movie? I guess the 3910 has the same issue...

It will auto detect SACD though. Go figure.
post #83 of 2987 Old 10-20-2004, 10:17 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

no you should not have to do that. there is a auto detect mode for both dvd-audio and sacd,
post #84 of 2987 Old 10-20-2004, 10:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Jazzcat,

If you want to see video information recorded on the DVD-A, then you have to do it. For example, if you want to see studio recording session video from the AIX discs (they often come with such video, like in Zephyr for example), then you again need to set Player Mode to Video. "Player Mode" of the 2910/3910 setup menu applies to DVD-A discs only (if I understood it correctly).
post #85 of 2987 Old 10-20-2004, 11:26 AM
Advanced Member

I need to be in front of the player to try. If that is the case then it must be set to video because I could play the DVD recording session but could not play the DVD-A side. But if that's the case, if in video mode I should have been able to see the option menus on the other DVD-A's that I have.

Which could refer back to the DVI issue. Glad I did not remove the component cables when I replaced the RP82. I will hook those up to see. Funny how if I have to use component to access menus it defeats the whole purpose of having all equipment connected through DVI.
post #86 of 2987 Old 10-20-2004, 01:07 PM

Hello all, I don't post much but I'm always hanging around these forums and getting helpful information, I thought I would give back a little.

I received my silver 2910 from Good Guys here in northern California last night. I have it hooked up to an XBR960 with HDMI cable I ordered from Ram. I calibrated it using THX optimizer only. I was only able to test out Star Wars 2 and Kill Bill 2 before my wife and I had to watch 13 going on 30 that she rented. Anyway, my impressions.. I do notice a visual improvement at 1080I compared to my old 480p player. Everything is sharper, tighter and more solid. However, I sit really close to my TV, around 7 to 8 feet, so I can see the difference. It's a slight improvement only, and I doubt that my friends would be able to tell the difference. My wife can see the difference (after I kept asking her It's clearer right?.. hehehe). But as long as I can tell and am happy right? That's all that matters.

Now I did notice some macroblocking in 1080I in Star Wars 2, Chapter 4, in the dark red areas of the meeting room. It was really bad on my Tv's Standard setting, but switching to Pro really helped and was less noticeable and I always use Pro anyway. There was no macroblocking when I switched it to 720p and 480p with the HDMI connection. But I'll still keep it set to 1080i. I really like the 1080I picture. I tried adjusting 720p but it was much softer than 1080i.

Another thing I notice is that at 1080I, the picture flickers or jitters a bit on my Sony TV. I read other people had the same problem with the 1910. I was initially disappointed at first. But after watching through a whole movie of 13 going on 30, I didn't even notice the screen flickering. Only if I pause certain scenes is when I can see the flickering, and on other scenes at 1080I, I don't see any flicker at all. I'll have to test out more movies tonight.

One more thing, the SRS Trusurround on this Denon is awesome on my XBR960's speakers. Works effectivly in my little apartment. My wife and I were really impressed. I bought the 2910 for the HDMI video upgrade only, but I must say the sound is what's helping me cope with the $649 price tag.
Anyway, I have to get back to work.. It's almost lunchtime.

The Hutch
post #87 of 2987 Old 10-20-2004, 01:42 PM

Greetings! Has anyone yet tested the Denon DVD-2910 with a Sony HS-20 Projector via HDMI??? Any initial thoughts regarind audio & video quality?? Considering this player but want to first make sure the addtional cost v. the upcoming Sony HDMI-based DVD player is justified.
post #88 of 2987 Old 10-20-2004, 05:41 PM
Advanced Member

Thanks for the info jigesh. It was set on video. I changed it to audio and all is well. It does in fact autosense all formats now for DVD, SACD and DVD-A.
post #89 of 2987 Old 10-20-2004, 06:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Glad it worked, jazzcat.
post #90 of 2987 Old 10-20-2004, 10:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Anybody here using the 2910 DVI/DVI with the popular Panny AE500 yet ????????? If yes, would like to hear your comment as well as the settings. Thanks.

Man see things as they are n say why. I dream of things that never were, n say why not ....... A Perfect PROJECTOR
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DVD Players (Standard Def)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page