Sony DVP-CX995V owner's thread - Page 76 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #2251 of 2265 Old 12-19-2018, 10:28 PM
Member
 
masstch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 46
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I have now installed the belts and they did appear to fix the transport problem. Surprisingly the old belts weren’t significantly stretched out of shape. The eBay belts were actually the same size as the old belts but the cross section of the new belts was thicker, effectively making them tighter. I’m not sure if the old belts were that thick originally or not but of course it doesn’t matter.
The transport and loading now works but I’ve run into a larger problem in that the once loaded up, the the laser “hunts” and the disc does not rotate. The disk is rejected, another loaded and the process repeats. On *some* disks, it will spin up and apparently successfully play it. I don’t gave the box back together and hooked to the system yet. I did clean the laser lens, and the laser does turn on, but only about a half second. It looks like I’ll need to change out the read mechanism .
Any links to this part?
Also, mine is a 995 standard DVD/CD player. Is it possible to upgrade this to handle Blu-Ray?
masstch is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2252 of 2265 Old 12-29-2018, 09:04 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Load question
I have just bought one of these units. Loaded it full of DVDs and at some point in the process maybe hit the “load” button. Quickly hit stop. Got one or two dvds title info, etc. finished inserting dvds. All 400 slots full. And then wanted to load the title info. I have read the posts saying the process is slow. Also that it only gets 20-50% of the discs. But I have a different problem. I push the load button and nothing happens! The manual says it should even work in standby and to press load before turning on the power. Tried that too. Nothing. Is it because the process was started and then stopped? Can I reset the database and start the load over? Anyone have an idea what I am doing wrong? Thanks!!!
Martyinpa is offline  
post #2253 of 2265 Old 01-27-2019, 06:18 AM
Newbie
 
72mustang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hi. I have an opportunity to purchase one of these at a great price. Im only looking to use it for CD playing listening to music. Am I looking for trouble doing this? Is this more dedicated to DVD playing ? Thanks.
72mustang is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2254 of 2265 Old 01-27-2019, 09:55 AM
Member
 
Guru_Karma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 35
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by 72mustang View Post
Hi. I have an opportunity to purchase one of these at a great price. Im only looking to use it for CD playing listening to music. Am I looking for trouble doing this? Is this more dedicated to DVD playing ? Thanks.
It'll work fine as a CD player.
Guru_Karma is offline  
post #2255 of 2265 Old 01-30-2019, 05:15 PM
Newbie
 
72mustang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Anyone know what year Sony did the firmware upgrade to all factory new built players?
72mustang is offline  
post #2256 of 2265 Old 01-31-2019, 10:01 AM
Member
 
cmotomn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 88
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by 72mustang View Post
Anyone know what year Sony did the firmware upgrade to all factory new built players?
DVP-CX995V Firmware Update release date is July 11th 2007. I believe the units were already out of production by then?

https://www.sony.com/electronics/sup...loads/W0002824

File Info

File Name
DVP-CX995V_UC_144.zip

File Version
n/a

File Size
3.59 MB

Release Date
07-11-2007
cmotomn is offline  
post #2257 of 2265 Old 02-05-2019, 05:31 PM
Newbie
 
72mustang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Ok. Couple of issues. How does one check the version of firmware ? Someone here said on the remote while unit is off.... press top menu. Press clear then press on button. The screen should come up to the ability to see what version you have. When I do this... all it does is turn the unit on and start playing the disc that was last viewed

Second.... when the unit is off. I press the button on unit to turn on. I press the open button. Nothing happens. Won't open. It Will using the remote, but not from the unit. The disc change button is illuminated though. Am I doing something wrong here?
72mustang is offline  
post #2258 of 2265 Old 02-11-2019, 08:48 AM
Member
 
cmotomn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 88
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by 72mustang View Post
Ok. Couple of issues. How does one check the version of firmware ? Someone here said on the remote while unit is off.... press top menu. Press clear then press on button. The screen should come up to the ability to see what version you have. When I do this... all it does is turn the unit on and start playing the disc that was last viewed

Second.... when the unit is off. I press the button on unit to turn on. I press the open button. Nothing happens. Won't open. It Will using the remote, but not from the unit. The disc change button is illuminated though. Am I doing something wrong here?
The firmware update instructions are detailed here;
https://www.sony.com/electronics/sup...loads/W0002824

I image the current firmware version is shown on the "STMicroelectronics System Update Utility screen".
cmotomn is offline  
post #2259 of 2265 Old 02-11-2019, 09:01 AM
Newbie
 
72mustang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I don't think the upgrade has anything to do with the. Uttons not working on my panel. Also... the process to check what version I have doesn't work either. It just turns the player back on.
72mustang is offline  
post #2260 of 2265 Old 08-10-2019, 11:16 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
DVP-CX995V Multi-disc DVD Player Setup

Recently I purchased a pair of these players that were new (and from the looks of them, they looked new). The belts have been replaced and they play just fine. This is our second set of these players, the first of which we got new in 2010. My problem is that I cannot get to the setup portion that will allow me to change the aspect ratio of the video, sound output and other things of that nature. When I select display and go to the toolbox on the bottom, I select custom and get the message "stop playback and retry". Now the movie has been paused, but anything of the settings in the toolbox get the same message. If you are in the folder that shows all the movies, you cannot get to that screen.


Is there any way to do a factory reset that will allow this without using the remote to access it? And hopefully not erase the memory of the labels for the discs that have been installed.
Gwen Lasho is offline  
post #2261 of 2265 Old 04-29-2020, 10:47 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Undocumented fix for DVP-CX995V remote RM-ASP001 not working

I know this product is very long-in-the-tooth, and odds are low that this will help anyone at this point. However, if you have a DVP-CX995V and the companion RM-ASP001 remote is not working, read on... I bought this equipment new and have used it without issue for years and taken excellent care of it. But about six months ago I upgraded my home theatre to all HDMI devices which meant replacing almost everything. However, the DVP-CX995V has an HDMI output (which I had never used). After discovering that it wouldn't work, I then found the firmware update from Sony for this player. I applied it without incident and the HDMI output started working - YAY! :-) Unfortunately, the RM-ASP001 stopped working. :-( I confirmed that the IR emitter was still illuminating (by viewing with my cell phone camera). It seemed virtually impossible that updating the firmware in the player would have caused the remote itself to fail. The only logical conclusion was that somehow the new firmware in the player was faulty and had disabled remote control.

I submitted a support ticket to Sony and they responded with a link to a support article that gave the standard "test your remote / reset your remote" advice. But that was not helpful. Subsequently I bought a Logitech Harmony Elite for my new system. Just for grins I decided to try it with the DVP-CX995V. Much to my (happy!) surprise - it worked! So once again I was back in business. It took me a while to figure out how to use the Harmony to gain control of all the needed functions but I was mostly successful. But it still bugged me that the RM-ASP001 had just suddenly stopped working.

A few months later I decided to take another look. I removed the batteries from the RM-ASP001 and was contemplating disassembling it when I noticed a small switch in the battery compartment labelled "COMMAND MODE". It has three positions: 1, 2 and 3. The switch was in position 2. I moved it to position 1 and reinserted the batteries. And suddenly the remote was working! I haven't bothered to re-test the remote with positions 2 and 3, but I'll assume that either: a) I somehow moved the switch accidentally (how? I don't know / don't think so...), or b) the new firmware did create an incompatibility with the COMMAND MODE "2", but it works fine with mode "1".

I hope this helps someone. The DVP-CX995V is a great disc changer, but much of its functionality becomes difficult - or impossible to use without a remote. FYI, I've submitted this information to Sony via the same means I used to originally report the problem. Hopefully they will update their support article to include it should anyone else inquire in the future...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9844.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	932.6 KB
ID:	2718826   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9843.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	676.4 KB
ID:	2718828  
dakaplan is offline  
post #2262 of 2265 Old 05-06-2020, 11:27 AM
Member
 
cmotomn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 88
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by dakaplan View Post
I know this product is very long-in-the-tooth, and odds are low that this will help anyone at this point. However, if you have a DVP-CX995V and the companion RM-ASP001 remote is not working, read on... I bought this equipment new and have used it without issue for years and taken excellent care of it. But about six months ago I upgraded my home theatre to all HDMI devices which meant replacing almost everything. However, the DVP-CX995V has an HDMI output (which I had never used). After discovering that it wouldn't work, I then found the firmware update from Sony for this player. I applied it without incident and the HDMI output started working - YAY! :-) Unfortunately, the RM-ASP001 stopped working. :-( I confirmed that the IR emitter was still illuminating (by viewing with my cell phone camera). It seemed virtually impossible that updating the firmware in the player would have caused the remote itself to fail. The only logical conclusion was that somehow the new firmware in the player was faulty and had disabled remote control.

I submitted a support ticket to Sony and they responded with a link to a support article that gave the standard "test your remote / reset your remote" advice. But that was not helpful. Subsequently I bought a Logitech Harmony Elite for my new system. Just for grins I decided to try it with the DVP-CX995V. Much to my (happy!) surprise - it worked! So once again I was back in business. It took me a while to figure out how to use the Harmony to gain control of all the needed functions but I was mostly successful. But it still bugged me that the RM-ASP001 had just suddenly stopped working.

A few months later I decided to take another look. I removed the batteries from the RM-ASP001 and was contemplating disassembling it when I noticed a small switch in the battery compartment labelled "COMMAND MODE". It has three positions: 1, 2 and 3. The switch was in position 2. I moved it to position 1 and reinserted the batteries. And suddenly the remote was working! I haven't bothered to re-test the remote with positions 2 and 3, but I'll assume that either: a) I somehow moved the switch accidentally (how? I don't know / don't think so...), or b) the new firmware did create an incompatibility with the COMMAND MODE "2", but it works fine with mode "1".

I hope this helps someone. The DVP-CX995V is a great disc changer, but much of its functionality becomes difficult - or impossible to use without a remote. FYI, I've submitted this information to Sony via the same means I used to originally report the problem. Hopefully they will update their support article to include it should anyone else inquire in the future...
Thanks for posting and I agree the DVP-CX995V is still a great disc changer 15 years later!
cmotomn is offline  
post #2263 of 2265 Old 05-12-2020, 06:55 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2020
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Longboardebo View Post
Ok - So I've cleaned the lens, messed around with the microswitch and the optical pickup unit just seems shot. So I've now its time to replace the laser unit.

Here are few points that may help others looking to DIY replace the laser unit.

a) The laser unit is called an "optical pickup assembly" in repair parts speak

b) The laser units don't appear to have a part number actually ON the unit (how nice!) but they have a cryptic description on a sticker. The first numbers letters in the upper right corner are the description. The rest of the numbers appear to be useless in finding the replacement part. (Although I'm open to an education on this!)

c) In the case of DVP-CX995v the unit you need is called a "DBU3" "or DBU-3". The attached document is a picture of the unit.

d) AND the PART NUMBER you need to replace it is
Part Number: A1067676A
Descriptions: OPTICAL PICKUP ASSY DBU3
This is the whole laser pickup with the disk motor and carriage, etc.
They don't sell the sub parts only the Service Assy.

e) Here are some links to suppliers I've found, I have no idea if they are reputable:
alltronic. ($10.00 I'm very suspect but its there as overstock)
servicesplus ($93.11 - I'm not sure they will sell to DIY)

f) After removing the cover from the unit it takes about 15mins to replace the laser and then to replace all the screws. I would recommend testing it before you put all the screws together.

I'll report back after I've made the replacement and if it worked...

So its 2020 now; this machine is.. what 12 years old? I have a friend wanting me to fix hers... and this is the part she needs... Guess what- Part is no longer available, out of stock everywhere and I can't find a source...

Anyone here have suggestions on some company that can do a BOARD level repair of the broken optical pickup; since a replacement unit is not happening...?

I'm going to help her digitize her collection... she has a fancy 65 inch 4k HDR smart tv now and is still using 600 random DVD's in two of these old machines... But she still wants this machine fixed...

Thoughts welcome; and thx to Longboardebo who gave all the details on the part...
Brian Lombardo is offline  
post #2264 of 2265 Old 05-12-2020, 07:15 PM
Advanced Member
 
Toys7505's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Milford, Ma
Posts: 502
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Lombardo View Post
So its 2020 now; this machine is.. what 12 years old? I have a friend wanting me to fix hers... and this is the part she needs... Guess what- Part is no longer available, out of stock everywhere and I can't find a source...

Anyone here have suggestions on some company that can do a BOARD level repair of the broken optical pickup; since a replacement unit is not happening...?

I'm going to help her digitize her collection... she has a fancy 65 inch 4k HDR smart tv now and is still using 600 random DVD's in two of these old machines... But she still wants this machine fixed...

Thoughts welcome; and thx to Longboardebo who gave all the details on the part...
Looks like Sony updated this part number to A1109164A which is still listed as an optical pickup assembly (DBU-3).
I searched through Google - some places still list it as available.

or

try searching eBay for parts units and take the pickup out of one of them.

Toys

Denon AVR-3311CI, Denon DVP-602CI, B&K Reference 200.7 S2, Belkin PF60
Sony BDP-S5000ES, Silverstone HTPC (6 Tuner DVR & 10 TB Media)
PSB Stratus Minis, PSB Stratus C6, PSB Alpha S surround, James Subwoofer EMB-1200
Sharp LC-70LE755U, Harmony 880 Remote
Toys7505 is offline  
post #2265 of 2265 Old 06-27-2020, 11:03 AM
Advanced Member
 
BJBBJB's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Posts: 504
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 203 Post(s)
Liked: 71
I have a DVP-CX777ES but was hoping someone on this thread could help as they are similar. Only use once in a while and it is loaded with 300+ discs. Now it turns on, makes noises and I get error 32 00 00 then it eventually turns itself off. The carousel does not spin. The service manual says the door should open with this code but it does not.

Is my next step to take the cover off and look for discs that are blocking the tray? I have researched and see no way to manually open the door.

Thanks,
BJBBJB
BJBBJB is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply DVD Players (Standard Def)

Tags
Sony , Sony Brand , Sony Corp , Sony Corporation , Sony Dvp Cx777es 400 Disc Dvd Cd Changer , Sony Dvp Ns710h B 1080p Upscaling Dvd Player Black , Sony Electronics

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off