Denon DVD-3930 & DVD-2930 w/Realta T2 Chip Coming September- - Page 167 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes

post #4981 of 4985 Old 05-19-2019, 03:23 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
ID'ing Laser for DENON DVD3930CI~~

Hi all. I disassembled my unit as far as i could, & stopped where there is a black cover protecting the laser assembly. There's way too many things not covered in ANY tutorial that explains how to get into where the laser sits, & an be either changed or ID'd for a part #. I need help, or a good tech. here in So. Florida. I would gladly pick up the parts, but I'm not even sure what I need. I already cleaned the laser, so that's out. Now I'm moving on & I need help.
Thanks everyone!
Kenny
🕉
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4982 of 4985 Old 05-19-2019, 03:31 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
Quoted: 1269 Post(s)
Liked: 2074
Quote:
Originally Posted by zozoe View Post
Hi all. I disassembled my unit as far as i could, & stopped where there is a black cover protecting the laser assembly. There's way too many things not covered in ANY tutorial that explains how to get into where the laser sits, & an be either changed or ID'd for a part #. I need help, or a good tech. here in So. Florida. I would gladly pick up the parts, but I'm not even sure what I need. I already cleaned the laser, so that's out. Now I'm moving on & I need help.
Thanks everyone!
Kenny
🕉
Posts merged. Please do not start multiple threads on the same topic in multiple areas of the forum. Keep all questions here.

Thank you.

Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself.

Panasonic DP-UB820 -> Yamaha CX-A5100 -> Sony XBR-75X940C; Mediabridge 6' and 15' HDMI cables.
post #4983 of 4985 Old 09-08-2019, 01:06 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hi folks! I picked up a used DVD-2930 unit, and of course it doesn't read disks. What I find curious is it doesn't detect any single disc I tried, neither CD-Audio nor CD-data (MP3) nor DVD-video (don't have DVD-Audio or SACD discs yet). It spins the disc irregularly for a long time and then gives up. The universal advice seems to replace the pickup, do you think it will fix my case as well?

This is definitely not a case of a dead laser (both of them at once? Seems unlikely). I suspect the focusing mechanism may be at fault, is it a known issue with these devices?
I checked the CD and DVD laser current, it was only slightly larger than the original values (3300-3400 vs. 2800-2900). The CD has 120 hours and DVD has 77 hours on it. The unit is in good condition and I really don't understand why it could fail this way...
I re-adjusted the current to the displayed new values and reinitialized the player, to no avail, of course.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4984 of 4985 Old 09-10-2019, 08:09 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by SundayAudiophile View Post
Hi folks! I picked up a used DVD-2930 unit, and of course it doesn't read disks. What I find curious is it doesn't detect any single disc I tried, neither CD-Audio nor CD-data (MP3) nor DVD-video (don't have DVD-Audio or SACD discs yet). It spins the disc irregularly for a long time and then gives up. The universal advice seems to replace the pickup, do you think it will fix my case as well?

This is definitely not a case of a dead laser (both of them at once? Seems unlikely). I suspect the focusing mechanism may be at fault, is it a known issue with these devices?
I checked the CD and DVD laser current, it was only slightly larger than the original values (3300-3400 vs. 2800-2900). The CD has 120 hours and DVD has 77 hours on it. The unit is in good condition and I really don't understand why it could fail this way...
I re-adjusted the current to the displayed new values and reinitialized the player, to no avail, of course.

It is easy enough and cheap enough (less than $20) to replace the laser assembly, I would try it. In my experience the laser current is not particularly useful in diagnosing this problem.
post #4985 of 4985 Old 09-10-2019, 08:18 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Fair enough, thanks. Basically, I wanted to hear your opinion on the matter, whether you estimate the chance of success below 50% or above 50% for my particular symptoms. I suspect the lens isn't focusing properly, if that's the case then replacing the pickup is likely to resolve the problem, am I right?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DVD Players (Standard Def)

Tags
Denon Blu Ray Dvd Cd Player

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page