Netflix streaming quality - Page 187 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 748Likes

post #5581 of 9224 Old 05-15-2014, 12:53 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2844 Post(s)
Liked: 1518
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark12547 View Post

Even for a given profile, one ISP may have storage appliances populated by Netflix, another (such as Comcast) will have a direct connect to Netflix's in-house CDN, and a third ISP may access a third party that Netflix had contracted with to host the streams. And for many of these, there would be multiple locations where the servers or storage appliances are located.

True, but I keep hearing people say, "different Netflix devices use different files" as if there were dozens of different file types. In reality, most devices in use today use one of two sets, the one for Apple devices and the one for everything else. I have 13 stationary devices with Netflix players and I'm pretty sure that, except for TiVo Series3 and BDT110, they all use the same profile (this PC, PS3, Xbox 360, Xbox One, Roku 3, Roku 2XS, TiVo Roamio, TiVo Premiere, TiVo Series3, WD TV Live, Sony BDP-S390, Panasonic DMP-BDT220, Panasonic DMP-BDT110). I think that my Android tablet uses the same profile, but that my Android phone does not. (BDT110 and the phone don't have bit-rate/resolution information burned into the version of "Example Short 23.976" which they play; TiVo Series3 was the 2nd device in history to have a Netflix app, after Roku N1000; it uses one of the legacy VC-1 profiles).

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"Think of the cable company as a group of terrorist (sic)." -- hookbill
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5582 of 9224 Old 05-15-2014, 12:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 842 Post(s)
Liked: 651

I don't know about the profiles, but I am sure that the old LG Blu-ray player and my original Roku Netflix Player (N1000) both use "advanced streams" (both would show dots to indicate quality of connection, 4 dots being full 480p SD), whereas the much newer Vizio "Smart TV" uses "adaptive streams" (steps up and down as per second-by-second throughput). About two weeks after the Comcast/Netflix agreement was signed, the Vizio Netflix App would stream mostly 1080p during prime time, but the Roku would barely maintain 240p.

If I had to guess, the "advanced streams" (which don't ever step up once a stream is established) is on its way out.

My very humble setup:
Spoiler!
post #5583 of 9224 Old 05-15-2014, 01:15 AM

Quote:

If I had to guess, the "advanced streams" (which don't ever step up once a stream is established) is on its way out.

According to that presentation, it's one of the two iOS profiles. The oldest profiles are used by devices that aren't going to get updated player apps, so they have to support them until no one is using them anymore.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5584 of 9224 Old 05-15-2014, 01:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 842 Post(s)
Liked: 651
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott View Post

Quote:

According to that presentation, it's one of the two iOS profiles. The oldest profiles are used by devices that aren't going to get updated player apps, so they have to support them until no one is using them anymore.

The feature list of the second and third generation Rokus are making the original generation, original model Roku seem a bit anemic:

• Can't do 1080p (except on one demo 1080p channel), maxes out at 720p for Netflix.
  • Can't do subtitles. (Any captions have to be burned into the video stream, which is done for foreign-language material, usually.)
  • Can't do any alternate audio tracts, just stereo (where available).
  • For Netflix, if a low-quality stream is negotiated at start of playing or had to step down to a lower-quality stream during playing, will not step up to a high-quality stream when throughput improves. (One has to actually stop paying and get back to the title page, then do a resume; a pause/play won't do it.)
  • The number of channels more recent models support that this model doesn't support continues to increase, the latest one that I care about would be YouTube.

The one thing my Roku N1000 does well is that I can get into the bitrate screen and set the Roku for 1.5Mbps to get 4 dots with Netflix, and then it won't attempt to send a HD stream, but would send the best SD stream Netflix has (4 dots for quality). I could also set it to 1.0 Mbps (3 dots) or lower. I watched most of the Mission: Impossible TV show episodes at best SD quality and, since the source material from which the stream was made was pristine, the picture was great (except during camera pans). On the other hand, for the second and third generation Roku digital video players, I would have to set my "playback quality" on the Netflix site, which doesn't have anywhere the granularity of settings as the "bitrate setting" screen has on the first-generation Rokus. (The second and third generation Rokus do have that screen, but since they use "adaptive streams", the Netflix application for them ignore the bitrate setting made on that secret screen and instead are clipped by the setting on makes on the Netflix site: high, medium, or low quality.)

My Vizio "Smart TV" seems to handle Netflix streaming ok (including changing stream quality up and down automatically, different audio tracts, different subtitles where applicable), or otherwise I would have purchased a Roku 3 by now.

My very humble setup:
Spoiler!
post #5585 of 9224 Old 05-15-2014, 07:04 PM

reddice, you'll be glad to hear that Netflix seems to have removed credit shrinking from all platforms.

post #5586 of 9224 Old 05-15-2014, 08:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 647 Post(s)
Liked: 128
Where did you hear that. The PS3 and Windows 8 app still shrinks the credits for me.

Charter Spectrum.
My Router: Netgear R7000 - Advanced Tomato
3.5-140 K26ARM USB VPN-64K.
My Primary Streaming Device: Apple TV 4K (2017).
Cats are the best pets.
post #5587 of 9224 Old 05-15-2014, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddice View Post

Where did you hear that. The PS3 and Windows 8 app still shrinks the credits for me.

Someone on the Roku site forum said that his Roku 3 was no longer doing it so I tested a bunch of stuff, which didn't include the PC players. You're right about those; the Silverlight player in Chrome, HTML5 player in IE 11 and the Win8 Netflix app all shrink the credits. My PS3, however, complete eschews Post-play. In testing it just now the first thing that I played (Odd Thomas) did not shrink the credits but brought up the Post-play dialog after they ended. After that, nothing even brought up the Post-play dialog, even running Odd Thomas a second time. (Testing with Odd Thomas, District 13, Black Hawk Down, Star Trek: Voyager and Firefly).

My Netflix versions on PS3 are SW Version Release-486, mdxjs 2.1.2-r51, nrdjs r144, UI Build release=20140513_540-onyx; the PS3 app version is 2.16.

post #5588 of 9224 Old 05-16-2014, 12:15 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 45
On browsers I think clicking on the shrunken credits will full screen them again. I think I discovered this many months ago but I can't test that theory until tomorrow sometime. I say I think because my memory eludes me but I remember full screening it by accident once and now forgot how I did it.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
post #5589 of 9224 Old 05-16-2014, 12:35 AM

You can unshrink them on every platform, typically by selecting the inset with arrow keys. The PC players are easiest, since you can just point and click. It was also nicely easy to get to the end of titles to test Post-play behavior.

post #5590 of 9224 Old 05-16-2014, 04:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 409 Post(s)
Liked: 276

Still not there for everyone with a PS3 yet. Played a few episodes of 3 different shows today, and the end credits continue to be marginalized. What makes it particularly frustrating (I think I may have mentioned this months ago, pages back), is that it barely waits for the episode to end, it cuts into the close of the final act mirco seconds before the Executive Producer credit is displayed. On 2 CSI Miami eps, just before the scene fades to the EP credit, it cuts away to the post play screen. I do have post play disabled on all profiles under Playback Settings... On a Star Trek DS9 episode, where the EP credit don't aways appear on a separate title card, but on the final scene of the episode, it gets cuts to the post play area as well. :mad: 

reddice likes this.

Dazed and confused over high tech.

Sigh...Concrap. The Internet Overlord Cometh
They're not com-tastic!
post #5591 of 9224 Old 05-16-2014, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westly-C View Post

I do have post play disabled on all profiles under Playback Settings...

At this time you can only disable automatic next episode start in the playback settings; it doesn't inhibit the Post-play dialog, which comes up and offers you the next episode (or suggestions if you just watched the last available episode they have for that series).

Bizarre that my PS3 has this behavior and your's doesn't, though you have all of the same Netflix player versions. Do you have the 2.61 version of the resident app? It didn't start doing this until my PS3 updated to that version when I ran Netflix recently.

Whatever--I suspect that the behavior on my PS3 and other devices which used to shrink credits is a bug anyway.

post #5592 of 9224 Old 05-18-2014, 11:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 906 Post(s)
Liked: 288
This is such a huge thread I'm not gonna be able to search it looking for the answer. I'm getting frame rate jitter and inconsistency with the Wn8.1 metro app. I'm not experiencing this problem with my Samsung BD player which switches the screen to 24hz. Any ideas?
post #5593 of 9224 Old 05-18-2014, 11:58 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhughy2010 View Post

This is such a huge thread I'm not gonna be able to search it looking for the answer. I'm getting frame rate jitter and inconsistency with the Wn8.1 metro app. I'm not experiencing this problem with my Samsung BD player which switches the screen to 24hz. Any ideas?

Are you using 5.1 audio? If not, try the IE11 browser using HTML5 playback. You will need to go into the settings at the Netflix website and select "Prefer HTML5 Playback". My computer is a i7-930 using a AMD Radeon HD 5870 and playback is flawless. I don't use the Win8.1 app because I only use the TV speakers.

What stream did you have the jitter problem? Maybe I can see if I have the same problem as you on the same movie/show.
post #5594 of 9224 Old 05-18-2014, 01:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkOrPn View Post

Are you using 5.1 audio? If not, try the IE11 browser using HTML5 playback. You will need to go into the settings at the Netflix website and select "Prefer HTML5 Playback". My computer is a i7-930 using a AMD Radeon HD 5870 and playback is flawless. I don't use the Win8.1 app because I only use the TV speakers.

What stream did you have the jitter problem? Maybe I can see if I have the same problem as you on the same movie/show.
Yes I'm bit streaming everything to my Pioneer AVR for DD+. It's all shows and movies via the metro app that have what seems like a skip frame every 30 seconds to a minute.
post #5595 of 9224 Old 05-18-2014, 02:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Yes I'm bit streaming everything to my Pioneer AVR for DD+. It's all shows and movies via the metro app that have what seems like a skip frame every 30 seconds to a minute.

Ok, I just tried the Netflix app and watched half an episode of Arrow and could not detect any video problems. I am connected directly to the TV from the video card and using the latest drivers from AMD. Have you tried uninstalling the app and then re-installing it? Or newer video card drivers maybe?

Other than that I have nothing. I assume it has worked great for you for a long time? Wondering if the app upgraded to a version that is not working for you, or one of the many recent Windows updates might of broke it. You may still want to try IE11 just to see if its not the app at fault.
post #5596 of 9224 Old 05-18-2014, 09:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkOrPn View Post

Ok, I just tried the Netflix app and watched half an episode of Arrow and could not detect any video problems. I am connected directly to the TV from the video card and using the latest drivers from AMD. Have you tried uninstalling the app and then re-installing it? Or newer video card drivers maybe?

Other than that I have nothing. I assume it has worked great for you for a long time? Wondering if the app upgraded to a version that is not working for you, or one of the many recent Windows updates might of broke it. You may still want to try IE11 just to see if its not the app at fault.

Ok I'm not sure if I made an issue out of a none issue.  What I was experiencing before went away within a few minutes of playback today.  I fired up my HTPC and played Turbo via the metro app.  At first I saw a flicker every 10 seconds or so (lasted one minute or there abouts) and then I saw a little bit of screen jitter in the following minute.  It started to be even less frequent and then for the heck of hit I switched my TV's AV mode from Dynamic to Games.  The rest of the movie was feature smooth.  

SkOrPn likes this.
post #5597 of 9224 Old 05-18-2014, 09:59 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Ok I'm not sure if I made an issue out of a none issue.  What I was experiencing before went away within a few minutes of playback today.  I fired up my HTPC and played Turbo via the metro app.  At first I saw a flicker every 10 seconds or so (lasted one minute or there abouts) and then I saw a little bit of screen jitter in the following minute.  It started to be even less frequent and then for the heck of hit I switched my TV's AV mode from Dynamic to Games.  The rest of the movie was feature smooth.  

Hmm, interesting. I know my brothers Roku 3 sometimes has a 1/2 second pause or what he calls a video jolt, lol... I witnessed it once and could not explain the phenomena. His Roku and My HTPC are on the same exact gigabit switch that I just feed through the wall over to his Roku/TV setup. It did not happen on his Samsung BD player (or the WDTV), but it happens on his Roku 3, very rarely thankfully. The symptom you expressed seems more like something with the computer playback or the AVR.

None the less I am happy it went away for you...
jhughy2010 likes this.
post #5598 of 9224 Old 05-23-2014, 02:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I found another example short while I reconnect my Roku 3 this one with beautiful science of Mexico and there people with the bitrate overlay instead if that tired well known short of the guy moonwalking.

http://movies.netflix.com/WiMovie/70297469

This short has content all the way till the end not just test patterns so you can better test how long the buffer is on a streaming device.

Charter Spectrum.
Cats are the best pets.
post #5599 of 9224 Old 05-23-2014, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddice View Post

I found another example short while I reconnect my Roku 3 this one with beautiful science of Mexico and there people with the bitrate overlay instead if that tired well known short of the guy moonwalking.

http://movies.netflix.com/WiMovie/70297469

Nice find. El Fuente's claim to fame is that some version of it has 4K encodes. Did you go through all versions of the clip? Interesting that bit-rate/resolution info is on this 30 fps one.

post #5600 of 9224 Old 05-27-2014, 10:14 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Tried nf again tonight. I usually just stick with amazon now. NYC. Verizon FIOS. After midnight, Ethernet to viera smart tv. Still can't get above 480p on clone wars. Couldn't even get to 480p earlier in the evening. I thought they made a deal
reddice likes this.
post #5601 of 9224 Old 05-27-2014, 10:18 PM

It'll take a while for them to get all of the necessary direct connections into Verizon's systems set up. When Cox became an Open Connect partner in March 2013 it took a couple of months for all Cox systems to be included.

post #5602 of 9224 Old 06-05-2014, 02:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1195 Post(s)
Liked: 773
Verizon slaps Netflix with cease and desist letter over error message :
http://www.engadget.com/2014/06/05/verizon-issues-netflix-with-cease-and-desist/?icid=maing-grid7|maing11|dl20|sec1_lnk3%26pLid%3D484689

Ian

The best way to succeed in life is to act on the advice you give to others

post #5603 of 9224 Old 06-06-2014, 08:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1342 Post(s)
Liked: 1815
Quote:
Originally Posted by mailiang View Post

Verizon slaps Netflix with cease and desist letter over error message :
http://www.engadget.com/2014/06/05/verizon-issues-netflix-with-cease-and-desist/?icid=maing-grid7|maing11|dl20|sec1_lnk3%26pLid%3D484689

Ian

I like the reader comment:

Quote:
I WORK FOR VERIZON AND WE DO THROTTLE NETFLIX AND HAVE FOR OVER 2 YEARS..

Although I question the authenticity of this post. wink.gif

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Kindergarten Movies
post #5604 of 9224 Old 06-06-2014, 12:04 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 4038 Post(s)
Liked: 3753
The C & D letter is just Verizon bluster, if they really had a position to defend they'd sue Netflix, but then they'd have to produce the data showing they are not in fact throttling the peering points, and the likelihood of that happening is nil.
SkOrPn likes this.
post #5605 of 9224 Old 06-06-2014, 12:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan View Post

The C & D letter is just Verizon bluster, if they really had a position to defend they'd sue Netflix, but then they'd have to produce the data showing they are not in fact throttling the peering points, and the likelihood of that happening is nil.

Precisely what keenan said... Just like the feds and their beloved and blind voters, Verizon is counting on the fact that the majority of their subs are naive and believe everything they are told.
post #5606 of 9224 Old 06-06-2014, 12:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2393 Post(s)
Liked: 2032
Well if you suspect that your ISP is throttling Netflix then find out the watering hole where their folks hang out and go buy them a few drinks. biggrin.gif
post #5607 of 9224 Old 06-07-2014, 07:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 516 Post(s)
Liked: 262
This thread is now ≈ 6½ years old. The verses have changed a little but the song seems to be the same smile.gif.
post #5608 of 9224 Old 06-08-2014, 07:58 PM

Location: The Outer Limits....Don't trust any air I can't see ☺
Quoted: 1384 Post(s)
Liked: 623
I found the Moving Art Website they have 4K streaming Nature Videos up at Netflix OFC they will look very good in 1080p as well and likely display in 1080p Netflix Super HD on supported TV's and devices .

Those with Roku ,Smart TV or other devices can probably find these in search within the Netflix app or a Search on Roku OR just use your PC and put in your Netflix watch list like I just did cool.gif

Sometimes 4K videos look very good in 1080p also because they are likely not likely to be to bit starved (for a streaming video )

Quote:
Quote:
Available exclusively through Netflix, this 4-part series, presented in Ulta HD 4K, captures the beauty and majesty of Deserts, Flowers, Oceans and Forests, accompanied by a soaring soundtrack by Ludovico Einaudi, Johann Johannsson, and Gary Malkin.

link : http://movingart.com/now-available-on-netflix/
post #5609 of 9224 Old 06-08-2014, 08:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Netflix stupid adaptive streaming annoyed me tonight. It was the same issues I had in December till February. I can't believe on the ATV3 that around the 18 minute mark Once Upon A Time had the nerve to drop down to crappy SD then only ramp up only to 720p HD and you talk about 4K. Of course I was connected at the time to the POS Netflix Streaming Service routed though Level 3 in Newark. Really what is the freaking point of having eyeIO HD encodes when the streams drop down to the POS VC-1 SD streams. Just get rid of all SD streams for HD content and ditch there adaptive crap. I rather wait for a program to download with a big buffer then have it stupidly lower the quality of the stream. It ist bad because of that Prison series even though I watch programs not even remotely related how can it put stress on them. Don't they put there Originals on there own freaking server.

BTW Episode of Doctor Who S2E5 was only in SD on Amazon.

Charter Spectrum.
Cats are the best pets.
post #5610 of 9224 Old 06-08-2014, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubetwister View Post

I found the Moving Art Website they have 4K streaming Nature Videos up at Netflix OFC they will look very good in 1080p as well and likely display in 1080p Netflix Super HD on supported TV's and devices .

Until we get HEVC capable devices there's not going to be much difference between 4K and the older 1080p encodes (though I suppose that if they start from a 4K source there is some potential for improvement). I'm in the market for a new television and I've been holding out for a Vizio P-Series, a 4K set with HEVC decoding and 4K capable Netflix at a price that I can afford ($1400 for the 55"). But I don't care so much about 4K as I do about Netflix encoding their library in HEVC, at a 40%-50% bandwidth savings.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Video Download Services & Hardware

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page