Netflix streaming quality - Page 65 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 744Likes

post #1921 of 9208 Old 05-13-2011, 03:57 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 122
I've been getting "good quality" streaming (if there is such a thing on a 4" diagonal screen) using Netflix's new Android app.

mproper started a thread for this topic in January but it appears to be defunct. Maybe i'll give it a bump and raise it from the dead: https://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1304904

Anyways I was very pleased with the app overall. It may have some judder issues, but if there was any jerkiness on the titles i sampled, it wasn't unwatchably bad or really even noticeable.

News results:

http://www.google.com/search?q=andro...&tbs=nws,nws:1

Typical article:

http://www.engadget.com/2011/05/12/n...-samsung-nexu/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1922 of 9208 Old 05-25-2011, 07:18 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Recently got installed 30 Mbps service from Comcast; and, it measures that much on several speed test sites, other than VUDU.

Anyway, turned on my Panny BD65 to give my new 'Net service a trial run. Had the movie IN THE ELECTRIC MIST in my queue, so I selected that to watch. Imagine my surprise, AND pleasure, when the quality bar graph went all the way to the right, and I got an "HD" to the right of the bar!

So, it CAN be done!
post #1923 of 9208 Old 05-26-2011, 11:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2375 Post(s)
Liked: 1955
Quality seems to depend on what night you are watching an HD stream. I never have much of any problems on a weeknight but weekends can be iffy as others have reported here. It was somewhat annoying watching "Even the Rain" in HD which would drop down in the first hour to a minute or two to some dreadful SD encode them back up to HD. Second hour this went away. I think because it was a Saturday night neighborhood kids watching streams may have been the culprit. OTOH, the film had some action scenes in dense jungle which might have needed even a higher bitrate. Whatever it is the telecoms need to accommodate what the public wants rather than shove their less than compelling offerings down our throats.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1924 of 9208 Old 05-26-2011, 12:15 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 16
What you're experiencing is real but isn't the situation for everyone. My FiOS connection delivers the highest quality stream 99.5% of the time. This means that my connection to the ISP is always as advertised and that their connection to netflix's CDN is never saturated.
post #1925 of 9208 Old 05-26-2011, 12:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 419 Post(s)
Liked: 128
yeah, that isn't Netflix's fault, it's your ISP's
post #1926 of 9208 Old 05-26-2011, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfiler View Post
What you're experiencing is real but isn't the situation for everyone. My FiOS connection delivers the highest quality stream 99.5% of the time. This means that my connection to the ISP is always as advertised and that their connection to netflix's CDN is never saturated.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Conrad View Post
Quality seems to depend on what night you are watching an HD stream. I never have much of any problems on a weeknight but weekends can be iffy as others have reported here. It was somewhat annoying watching "Even the Rain" in HD which would drop down in the first hour to a minute or two to some dreadful SD encode them back up to HD. Second hour this went away. I think because it was a Saturday night neighborhood kids watching streams may have been the culprit. OTOH, the film had some action scenes in dense jungle which might have needed even a higher bitrate. Whatever it is the telecoms need to accommodate what the public wants rather than shove their less than compelling offerings down our throats.
Understood. Cable is a mixed bag; when all the kiddies are playing on-line games or downloading their movies, cable DRAGS. But, after they (finally) go to bed, or during the middle of the day, it can whiz right along.

Though one of the suppliers in my general area offers FIOS, their coverage doesn't extend to my particular area, else I would have that.

With all its faults, cable beats my former suppliers---DISH for TV, and DSL (1.5 Mbps) for the 'Net.
post #1927 of 9208 Old 05-26-2011, 01:19 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 817
Quote:
Originally Posted by b_scott View Post
yeah, that isn't Netflix's fault, it's your ISP's
At times I think Netflix's side has issues... that being their servers and or delivery connection. I have two lines with one being private and monitored every 60 seconds and at times with that line (as well as the other) I'll see issues streaming Netflix during primetime hours. Of course some devices mask it much better (that others).

125" Projection | 5.2.4 Audio | Shield TV | LibreELEC/ODROID-C2 Kodi Media Client | Ubuntu/ODROID-XU4 NAS/Server | 65" LG OLED TV | TiVo | Shield TV |
| Water cooled Threadripper & Radeon VII, NVMe PC - 43" 4K IPS Panel |
post #1928 of 9208 Old 05-26-2011, 01:28 PM
UHD Addict

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 9309 Post(s)
Liked: 5996
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfiler View Post
Yes it is rock solid from my FiOS connection. but even at my girlfriends house. She only has a slow 1.25mb/s DSL connection and that is rock solid as well with netflix. Of course it's only Sd, but there are not netflix buffering issues with it from either TiVo or the Boxee Box.

53TB unRAID1a--49TB unRAID2--76TB unRAID3
TCL 6 Series--Sony UBP-X800--Philips BDP7502--Onkyo HT-S7800
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
post #1929 of 9208 Old 05-26-2011, 02:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Liked: 17
Ditto with my fios. Rarely has issues with getting highest quality feed. But as pointed out, a lot can happen between the Netflix server and my house.
post #1930 of 9208 Old 05-26-2011, 02:30 PM

Quoted: 2844 Post(s)
Liked: 1518
Quote:
Originally Posted by mproper View Post
Ditto with my fios. Rarely has issues with getting highest quality feed. But as pointed out, a lot can happen between the Netflix server and my house.
I think that a lot depends on how well balanced the Netflix servers in your area are. Usage patterns shift over time and it can take a while for them to deploy more equipment to acheive better balance in a locale.

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"Think of the cable company as a group of terrorist (sic)." -- hookbill
post #1931 of 9208 Old 05-28-2011, 09:01 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I anyone able to tell me how to get back the top left corner overlay with the Video and audio quality, I used to get that when I pressed the select button my PS3 remote, but with the new interface, I can't seem to find it anymore?

Thanks
post #1932 of 9208 Old 06-10-2011, 10:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 23
This week, I just purchased a couple of Roku boxes to get Netflix streaming. I have a wireless router that is dual band, and also have the XD/S Roku boxes that are also dual band. My question is regarding setting up the Roku boxes to get the best quality Netflix streams. My understanding, is that Netflix intuitively will downgrade/lessen the picture, depending on a variety of factor on the end user side.

My Roku has the option of choosing 2.5GHz band or the 5GHz band. From what I am reading, the 5GHz band is less prone to interference, and thus the better option (Even though both are wireless N). In both of my setups, the 2.5GHz band gives me the stronger signal. In the home theater, 2.5GHz is coming up as excellent, while the 5GHz band is coming up one notch lower as good. In my living room, the 2.5GHz band is coming up as good, while the 5GHz band is coming up one notch lower as fair'.

What wireless band would you choose to set the Roku boxes? I guess my ultimate question is will I get a better picture with a stronger signal, or is the weaker signal only evident in things like buffering.

I am new streaming as well as wireless routers, so any help would be much appreciated.
post #1933 of 9208 Old 06-10-2011, 11:03 AM
Advanced Member

Neither is guaranteed to work better no matter what the signal strength meter shows. The only way to know for sure is to try both and see which has better bandwidth and/or reliability.
post #1934 of 9208 Old 06-10-2011, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redskin View Post

I am new streaming as well as wireless routers, so any help would be much appreciated.

If at all possible you should try ,for a test, wired with an Ethernet cable, that way you would know what your benchmark, ultimate goal to shoot for would be.
post #1935 of 9208 Old 06-10-2011, 12:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Thanks guys. I guess my real question is…what variables does Netflix use to “throttle down” the video quality? If I had two systems both running on a wireless network and both running off the same internet connection (let’s say 7mbps for example), and system A has a wireless connection of “fair” and system B has a wireless connection of “excellent”. Potentially, could Netflix deliver a HD quality signal to system B, and maybe system A would only show up with 2-3 bars and have it not be in HD? Or…would it be based on the 7mbps internet connection, and both would get the same quality from Netflix?
post #1936 of 9208 Old 06-10-2011, 12:52 PM
Advanced Member

Any form of wireless is theoretically quick enough to carry the highest quality netflix stream. However wireless is prone to unpredictable slow downs and momentary dropouts. Depending on the frequency and duration of these and the overall average bandwidth, it may or may not need to throttle down. This isn't terribly well predicted by the "fair" or "excellent" statuses.
post #1937 of 9208 Old 06-10-2011, 03:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 329 Post(s)
Liked: 121
Last night, I had some issues with NF on both of my devices (Sony TV and Sony BD player). For some reason, it would only play some super-low-res feed. This is despite the fact that the speed test at the beginning would go fast, and the buffer-bar would fill within 2-3 seconds. It was still doing it this morning. Both devices are hard-wired, and I even have an Ethernet switch visible, so I can see the network activity. I wish I had a way I could FORCE it to use the best possible, even if it thinks the connection is not good enough.
post #1938 of 9208 Old 06-10-2011, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyross63 View Post

For some reason, it would only play some super-low-res feed. This is despite the fact that the speed test at the beginning would go fast, and the buffer-bar would fill within 2-3 seconds. It was still doing it this morning. Both devices are hard-wired, and I even have an Ethernet switch visible, so I can see the network activity.

I assume that you tried multiple different titles and had the same problem with all of them?

post #1939 of 9208 Old 06-11-2011, 06:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Yes. I tried Farscape, Futurama (should be HD), and others. Still doing it as of today. I tried some of the other feeds available on my TV. With the Sony TV, I can zoom down until it's 1:1. I've done some measuring and math (my 46" [diagonal, 40x22.5] screen works out to 48 dpi), and can tell what the original resolution is by measuring the 1:1 size picture. NF seems to be pushing me down to 480x360.

I tried Crackle, and an episode of Bewitched. It was 640x480, which is what Netflix normally is for SD. Network activity was normal.

I tried uStudio, which is HD travelogs. It was 1280x720 with normal streaming activity.

Edit: Just tried a HuluPlus sample video of Ugly Betty. It's 720p, and streamed fine. The buffer filled within about 20-30 seconds. Tried another NF title (OldBoy, a Korean horror movie) that I just added to my queue, and it was unwatchably low-res.
post #1940 of 9208 Old 06-11-2011, 07:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 636 Post(s)
Liked: 733
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyross63 View Post

Yes. I tried Farscape, Futurama (should be HD), and others. Still doing it as of today. I tried some of the other feeds available on my TV. With the Sony TV, I can zoom down until it's 1:1. I've done some measuring and math (my 46" [diagonal, 40x22.5] screen works out to 48 dpi), and can tell what the original resolution is by measuring the 1:1 size picture. NF seems to be pushing me down to 480x360.

I tried Crackle, and an episode of Bewitched. It was 640x480, which is what Netflix normally is for SD. Network activity was normal.

I tried uStudio, which is HD travelogs. It was 1280x720 with normal streaming activity.

Edit: Just tried a HuluPlus sample video of Ugly Betty. It's 720p, and streamed fine. The buffer filled within about 20-30 seconds. Tried another NF title (OldBoy, a Korean horror movie) that I just added to my queue, and it was unwatchably low-res.

I posted the same problem in the Sony 60EX700 thread. I tried to watch a movie last night in HD and it looks worse than regular SD. SD is not even watchable. Then all the other services work fine with great quality. I tried again this morning just to see it it was a fluke. Nope, same crap. I tried about 6 movies and all crap. Something has to be up with NF and Sony. I went on NF site and reported them all as unwatchable. I hope this straightens out. I have Uverse 20 down 3 up.
post #1941 of 9208 Old 06-11-2011, 08:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 405 Post(s)
Liked: 268
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluer101 View Post

I posted the same problem in the Sony 60EX700 thread. I tried to watch a movie last night in HD and it looks worse than regular SD. SD is not even watchable. Then all the other services work fine with great quality. I tried again this morning just to see it it was a fluke. Nope, same crap. I tried about 6 movies and all crap. Something has to be up with NF and Sony. I went on NF site and reported them all as unwatchable. I hope this straightens out. I have Uverse 20 down 3 up.

Can the NF app be deleted on this particular br player? Or deactivated, then reactivated to see if there's a difference?

Dazed and confused over high tech.

Sigh...Concrap. The Internet Overlord Cometh
They're not com-tastic!
post #1942 of 9208 Old 06-12-2011, 05:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

No, they are built in. You can log in and out but that does nothing. When I first got the tv it took about 1 month for it to even get past the buffer screen and play HD movies. It has been fine now fir about 5 months and this new thing just started to happen.
post #1943 of 9208 Old 06-12-2011, 06:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

One last gasp effort could be to deactivate and re-activate the device. Also, while you're at it, go into "Report a problem" for the titles you watched and choose the option that the picture was blurry. That's the closest you can come to complain about being low resolution.
post #1944 of 9208 Old 06-12-2011, 06:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I reported every title I tried as blurry and unwatchable. I tried the deactivate and reactivate and did not work. Has to be something on their end.
post #1945 of 9208 Old 06-12-2011, 08:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluer101 View Post

I reported every title I tried as blurry and unwatchable. I tried the deactivate and reactivate and did not work. Has to be something on their end.

Tried the same with the BD player. No change. I hope there isn't some bad blood or just something related to the Sony hacking causing issues. For awhile, the Gracenote information was not working on the BD player. It came back once Sony said PSN was back on-line.
post #1946 of 9208 Old 06-12-2011, 01:08 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Hey, folks, just got a 1080p projector and 92" screen and installed them over the weekend.

I have a WDTV Live Plus that I use for netflix streaming. It looked excellent on my 42" 1080p TV, and It also looked great on my new projector.

The WDTV plays netflix just great, and has almost the same interface for netflix that the PS3 does, from the videos I've seen online, but with a little more clunkier feel to the motion of navigation (think, blu-ray player netflix vs xbox 360 netflix).

Anyway my current understanding is that the only device as of June 2011 to do 1080p netflix streaming is the PS3, is that correct? So my WDTV is displaying 720p, as I understand it. Don't get me wrong, it looks GREAT...I was very impressed. but on a 92" screen, sitting about 1.5 screen widths away, I'm thinking I'd notice the bump to 1080p source streaming, and thus I'm leaning toward picking up a PS3 on eBay for streaming.

Two questions:

1) Am I right in all my assumptions above? do I have a full and proper grasp of the situation?
2) Will I notice at least a marginal difference in quality?

Actually a third question: does the PS3 charge before you can access netflix on it? I'm thinking of the Xbox 360 where you have to already be paying for xbox live in order to access netflix. I don't want to pay anything extra, but would like 1080p (for whatever titles have it) and the smoother flowing interface.

Thanks in advance for any information you can give me!
post #1947 of 9208 Old 06-12-2011, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt314159 View Post

Anyway my current understanding is that the only device as of June 2011 to do 1080p netflix streaming is the PS3, is that correct? So my WDTV is displaying 720p, as I understand it. Don't get me wrong, it looks GREAT...I was very impressed. but on a 92" screen, sitting about 1.5 screen widths away, I'm thinking I'd notice the bump to 1080p source streaming, and thus I'm leaning toward picking up a PS3 on eBay for streaming.

Two questions:

1) Am I right in all my assumptions above? do I have a full and proper grasp of the situation?
2) Will I notice at least a marginal difference in quality?

Actually a third question: does the PS3 charge before you can access netflix on it? I'm thinking of the Xbox 360 where you have to already be paying for xbox live in order to access netflix. I don't want to pay anything extra, but would like 1080p (for whatever titles have it) and the smoother flowing interface.

Thanks in advance for any information you can give me!

I've conducted some testing of the way that bandwidth is utilized by a variety of streamers (see my post by here for some details). I've tested Netflix on 6 devices (Panasonic DMP-BDT110, PS3, Xbox 360, Roku XD, TiVo S3 and this PC). Of the six, only the PS3 can access an encoding which is some 30%+ higher bit rate than the 720p one. I've retested the BDT110 after each update and it hasn't changed; it obviously has the capacity to deal with it, inasmuch as it plays 9 Mbps VUDU HDX (1080p) perfectly.

I haven't tested any of the other of 200+ Netflix streaming devices because I don't have any of them (I've been tempted to buy a couple of things like the WD TV Live Plus and Boxee Box, test them and then return them, but that would be wrong ). It's quite possible that your device can get the 1080p streams.

I've tried tweeting the Netflixhlps Twitter account, innocently asking which devices can play 1080p encodings and they've ignored the question. Perhaps they're not allowed to say anything which would make one of their OEM partners' products look superior to the others (they do list which ones are capable of closed captions, but that's important for people who are deaf or have otherwise poor hearing).

I've attempted to compare some images streamed through the BDT110 to some streamed through the PS3, but it takes 3 seconds or so in my set up to switch between the two, so I can't flip rapidly back and forth looking for small differences. For the few things I've tried to compare by eye on this 46" LCD panel I couldn't see that there were any huge differences. Running, both were very sharp. (HD Net used to run a detailed test pattern with which you could determine resolution--it'd be great if Netflix had such a thing).

The Xbox does require a Xbox Live Gold membership ($60/year, but you can find deals) to use its Netflix player; the PS3 can access Netflix without any payment and its player is currently more capable than the Xbox's anyway.

post #1948 of 9208 Old 06-12-2011, 03:06 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Thanks for the detailed response, Michael! looking at my bandwidth graph in DD-WRT, watching Pulp Fiction, the use on my WDTV Live Plus fluctuates between 3-5mbps it seems, with spikes into the 8 mbps range, then drops to zero for a sec, then goes back up, lather, rinse, repeat. I can only guess the actual stream is somewhere around 3-4mbps and that the spikes are just re-filling the buffer. This is on a 15mbps line that tests 14.9 pretty much 24/7 (small, local cableco, things like node congestion are unheard of in this section of rural iowa) For the price, (I paid $89 for a refurb model on amazon) the WDTV Live Plus delivers a heck of a "bang for your buck" and the (assumed) 720p picture of netflix streaming on the projector (vivitek H1080FD) was definitely liveable-- Looked a little better than dish HD, I'd say. Not as quite as good as broadcast, though close, and certainly not as good as blu-ray.

I already have a Sony BDP-S270 blu-ray player, and I don't want to spend too much money, but there is a PS3 on ebay right now with a less than 2 days to go, broken optical drive but the rest works, no bids, so I popped a $50 bid on there and will set a snipe up with gixen for my final max bid (maybe $75 or so?) just to see if I get lucky...it would let me just have a streaming-only type device. Otherwise I may just wait till payday, and buy a working PS3, and sell off my current blu-ray player for $75 or whatever I can get out of it.

Blu-rays do look noticeably better on the projector, but what sort of concerns me is if the streaming compression would dampen the quality difference between 720p and 1080p and make it not really worth the bump in price. i.e. I can enjoy 80% of the potential quality on my $89 WDTV Live Plus, is it worth the time, effort, and money to go after the diminishing marginal increases to get above that? Anyway that's kind of a battle for me to wrestle with inside my head, thanks again for your help!

*eta* Just having the ability to watch VUDU streams might make the leap to PS3 easier. Would be nice to have a good library of HD movies to pick from a-la-carte to shore up netflix's selection when I have friends over and we want to do an impromptu movie (I'll still try to go blu-ray whenever possible for planned get-togethers)
post #1949 of 9208 Old 06-12-2011, 05:37 PM

Currently there are Netflix, VUDU and Hulu Plus streamers on the PS3, and you can download movies that you've rented from the PSN Store.

You might want to go for a newer PS3. Mine is a 60 GB launch model and the fan kick in audibly when it's been running an app or game for a little while (probably within 5 or 10 minutes). The PS3 Slim has to be a lot quieter.

post #1950 of 9208 Old 06-12-2011, 10:07 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
The apple tv 2 is very good with netflix

Looks good on my 60" tv
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Video Download Services & Hardware