Netflix Watch Instantly: Gems and Finds - Page 121 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 593Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #3601 of 5369 Old 01-21-2015, 02:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Brian Conrad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Martinez, CA, USA
Posts: 8,051
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2306 Post(s)
Liked: 1788
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post
It's not a bad film .. not great, but not bad .. the HBO series "Silicon Valley", however, is an excellent nerd comedy ..
I've seen "Silicon Valley" and some folks thought it was over the top but I thought Judge did a good job of satirizing the culture (yup, they really do act that way). But I just got back from Walmart and "The Internship" was in their bargain BD bin so now I have the BD and the code to watch it on VUDU if needed.
Brian Conrad is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #3602 of 5369 Old 01-24-2015, 05:21 AM
Member
 
Dodge DeBoulet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 198
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked: 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyross63 View Post
Saw several stories that "The Interview" will be available on Netflix January 24. (The only Netflix links right now are for the disc version.)
And, as of this morning, it's available for streaming. For what it's worth
Dodge DeBoulet is offline  
post #3603 of 5369 Old 01-24-2015, 05:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
andyross63's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Aurora, IL
Posts: 3,342
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 322 Post(s)
Liked: 119
For reference, here is the link for The Interview.

Need help with your Motorola DVR? Check the Wikibook: How to use a Motorola DVR
andyross63 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #3604 of 5369 Old 01-24-2015, 08:26 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
mgkdragn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Illinois, East of St Louis
Posts: 15,219
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2868 Post(s)
Liked: 3693
Apology if this has been mentioned before, but I'm finishing up "The 100" Season One and it's not bad ..


http://www.netflix.com/WiMovie/70303988?trkid=13641790

Uncle Willie


Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
mgkdragn is online now  
post #3605 of 5369 Old 01-24-2015, 08:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
cajieboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Space Coast, Florida
Posts: 4,528
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post
Apology if this has been mentioned before, but I'm finishing up "The 100" Season One and it's not bad ..


http://www.netflix.com/WiMovie/70303988?trkid=13641790
Same here. I'm up to Episode 11. Last night, the wife & I watched 3 episodes in a row. When I first started watching this series, I had told my wife I was a bit iffy on it, and needed to see more episodes before passing judgement. As the story and characters have developed, I've turned my opinions toward the positive side for The 100. As you said, not bad...not bad at all. I'd have to give it a thumbs-up, but of course there's definitely room for improvement.
cajieboy is offline  
post #3606 of 5369 Old 01-24-2015, 08:40 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
gadgtfreek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Bama
Posts: 12,135
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked: 5931
I enjoyed 100 on CW. Season 2 stumbled some out of the gate but is getting better.

XBR65A9G / XBR65A8F
Oppo UDP-203 / Sony X800M2
AVRX6500H / RP-8000F / RP-504C / RP-502S / FV15HP
gadgtfreek is offline  
post #3607 of 5369 Old 01-24-2015, 08:46 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
mgkdragn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Illinois, East of St Louis
Posts: 15,219
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2868 Post(s)
Liked: 3693
Quote:
Originally Posted by cajieboy View Post
Same here. I'm up to Episode 11. Last night, the wife & I watched 3 episodes in a row. When I first started watching this series, I had told my wife I was a bit iffy on it, and needed to see more episodes before passing judgement. As the story and characters have developed, I've turned my opinions toward the positive side for The 100. As you said, not bad...not bad at all. I'd have to give it a thumbs-up, but of course there's definitely room for improvement.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gadgtfreek View Post
I enjoyed 100 on CW. Season 2 stumbled some out of the gate but is getting better.
The fact that it was on CW explains why I never had heard of it until it hit NF .. my mind equates CW with "Vampire Diaries" and since I can't stand that show, I guess I'm just not paying attention to CW material .. I thought maybe it was a SyFy show I'd missed .. at any rate, good to know and now I'm going to see if any marathon on Season 2 may be forthcoming for a DVR workout ..

Uncle Willie


Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
mgkdragn is online now  
post #3608 of 5369 Old 01-24-2015, 08:51 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
gadgtfreek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Bama
Posts: 12,135
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked: 5931
CW has moved past stuff like Vamp Diaries and Gossip Girl.

After Smallville left they made hits with Arrow and Flash, as well as 100 being good. Supernatural is still a good show.

XBR65A9G / XBR65A8F
Oppo UDP-203 / Sony X800M2
AVRX6500H / RP-8000F / RP-504C / RP-502S / FV15HP
gadgtfreek is offline  
post #3609 of 5369 Old 01-24-2015, 08:55 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
mgkdragn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Illinois, East of St Louis
Posts: 15,219
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2868 Post(s)
Liked: 3693
Quote:
Originally Posted by gadgtfreek View Post
CW has moved past stuff like Vamp Diaries and Gossip Girl.

After Smallville left they made hits with Arrow and Flash, as well as 100 being good. Supernatural is still a good show.
You've convinced me I'm going to have to dig into it now .. as if I don't have enough material already that I watch ..

Uncle Willie


Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
mgkdragn is online now  
post #3610 of 5369 Old 01-24-2015, 08:56 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
gadgtfreek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Bama
Posts: 12,135
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked: 5931
Thank goodness for streaming and DVR's with big HDD's!
gwsat likes this.

XBR65A9G / XBR65A8F
Oppo UDP-203 / Sony X800M2
AVRX6500H / RP-8000F / RP-504C / RP-502S / FV15HP
gadgtfreek is offline  
post #3611 of 5369 Old 01-24-2015, 12:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
mailiang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Springsteen Country
Posts: 8,628
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1190 Post(s)
Liked: 766
If you liked Fox's Prison Break, check out The Flash on CW. Scofield and Burrows are back!

Ian

The best way to succeed in life is to act on the advice you give to others

mailiang is offline  
post #3612 of 5369 Old 01-24-2015, 12:26 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Waboman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: The Leaky Tiki
Posts: 16,547
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6874 Post(s)
Liked: 15452
Quote:
Originally Posted by gadgtfreek View Post
I enjoyed 100 on CW. Season 2 stumbled some out of the gate but is getting better.
I have 100 in my 'to watch list.' Haven't gotten around to it yet. Looks like something I'd enjoy.

__________________________________________________
Take life with a grain of salt... a slice of lime, and a shot of tequila
Waboman is online now  
post #3613 of 5369 Old 01-24-2015, 03:24 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
michaeltscott's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: San Diego, CA, USA
Posts: 20,517
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2844 Post(s)
Liked: 1518
Quote:
Originally Posted by gadgtfreek View Post
CW has moved past stuff like Vamp Diaries and Gossip Girl.

The Vampire Diaries is in its sixth season and spun off The Originals, so they're not quite past it yet. I watched the pilot and had no interest.

The CW continues to be very youth oriented, though that's OK. They are a merger of the former UPN, which belonged to CBS, and The WB, hence the name, The CBS Warner network; the market wasn't big enough for the two of them. As such they bear the legacy of a number of shows that I enjoyed (Buffy, Angel, ST:Enterprise, Smallville), though I don't watch anything else on the CW at this time. My aunt loves Arrow; I watched part of the pilot on Netflix and didn't finish it, though I plan to give it a more extensive trial.

I didn't expect to like The 100 as much as I do; I haven't watched this past week's episode but I found the end of the previous one to be a relief.
Spoiler!
I really enjoy the show though the main character annoys me.

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"Think of the cable company as a group of terrorist (sic)." -- hookbill
michaeltscott is offline  
post #3614 of 5369 Old 01-24-2015, 05:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
metalsaber's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Western, Pennsylvania
Posts: 5,321
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1048 Post(s)
Liked: 858
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waboman View Post
I have 100 in my 'to watch list.' Haven't gotten around to it yet. Looks like something I'd enjoy.
The 100 is pretty good imo.
metalsaber is offline  
post #3615 of 5369 Old 01-24-2015, 05:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Westly-C's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Techno World
Posts: 3,615
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 389 Post(s)
Liked: 262
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott View Post
The Vampire Diaries They are a merger of the former UPN, which belonged to CBS, and The WB, hence the name, The CBS Warner network; the market wasn't big enough for the two of them.
Actually the market for both was just fine, until the geniuses at the FCC decided to allow multiple station ownership of broadcast properties in the same city/market. Enter the emperor, Rupert Murdoch, whose News Corp purchased the Chris Craft broadcast group, which owned the 7 tv stations located in the top markets that were the foundation for Paramount owned (later merged with CBS/Viacom) UPN. With News Corp owning the stations that were their guaranteed presence in the biggest cities, they found themselves at the mercy of increasing preemptions- something that didn't happen as CC, didn't load up on syndicated college football and basketball and protected the primetime lineup, something the new owners didn't. And the affiliation agreement with the stations now in News Corp's control, the handwriting was on the wall for them.

The merger with The WB was purely, a survival move for CBS, and a way to reduce operating costs for Warner Bros. Its sad seeing the stations that didn't go over to The CW, wasted on MyNetworkTV. Essentially, a 2 hour a night rerun cable channel.

We now return to the Netflix Gems and Finds thread...

Korean action film "As the Lights Go Out", is a recent add and a good old fashioned, disaster flick. English subtitles, beautiful imagery, and special effects.

Dazed and confused over high tech.

Sigh...Concrap. The Internet Overlord Cometh
They're not com-tastic!
Westly-C is offline  
post #3616 of 5369 Old 01-24-2015, 08:06 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
michaeltscott's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: San Diego, CA, USA
Posts: 20,517
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2844 Post(s)
Liked: 1518
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westly-C View Post
Actually the market for both was just fine...

If you say so. As I recall they both had horribly tiny market shares. The CW has to fare better without competition from a similar network.

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"Think of the cable company as a group of terrorist (sic)." -- hookbill
michaeltscott is offline  
post #3617 of 5369 Old 01-25-2015, 05:40 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
gadgtfreek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Bama
Posts: 12,135
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked: 5931
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott View Post
The Vampire Diaries is in its sixth season and spun off The Originals, so they're not quite past it yet. I watched the pilot and had no interest.

The CW continues to be very youth oriented, though that's OK. They are a merger of the former UPN, which belonged to CBS, and The WB, hence the name, The CBS Warner network; the market wasn't big enough for the two of them. As such they bear the legacy of a number of shows that I enjoyed (Buffy, Angel, ST:Enterprise, Smallville), though I don't watch anything else on the CW at this time. My aunt loves Arrow; I watched part of the pilot on Netflix and didn't finish it, though I plan to give it a more extensive trial.

I didn't expect to like The 100 as much as I do; I haven't watched this past week's episode but I found the end of the previous one to be a relief.
Spoiler!
I really enjoy the show though the main character annoys me.
I know exactly what the Vamp Diaries is doing, we watched the first 4 seasons. The point is, Arrow (season 3), 100 (season 2) and Flash (season 1) is CW moving past the female orientated teen shows. Vamp Diaries is old news with their current push into a new area, and it is a good move on their part. Even Smallville was a little too "simple", even though it was a good show. They raised the bar with Arrow and Flash, and they are more along the lines of Supernatural.


Flash, Supernatural and Arrow are their top 3 shows, with stuff like Reign and Jane the Virgin sucking wind.

XBR65A9G / XBR65A8F
Oppo UDP-203 / Sony X800M2
AVRX6500H / RP-8000F / RP-504C / RP-502S / FV15HP
gadgtfreek is offline  
post #3618 of 5369 Old 01-25-2015, 12:44 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
michaeltscott's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: San Diego, CA, USA
Posts: 20,517
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2844 Post(s)
Liked: 1518
Quote:
Originally Posted by gadgtfreek View Post
The point is, Arrow (season 3), 100 (season 2) and Flash (season 1) is CW moving past the female orientated teen shows.

You draw a distinction without a difference. For a long time, the icon poster frame in Netflix's browser for Arrow was some version of this (they've recently changed it to another, far less pointedly female-titillating image):

Spoiler!

That's marketing to either young women or gay males (or both ), and it wouldn't surprise me if young women were majority of the viewership for it and the other shows that you cite. When they stop using young pretty boys to depict heroes I'll believe that they're "moving past female oriented teen shows".

Quote:
Even Smallville was a little too "simple", even though it was a good show. They raised the bar with Arrow and Flash, and they are more along the lines of Supernatural.

Flash, Supernatural and Arrow are their top 3 shows, with stuff like Reign and Jane the Virgin sucking wind.

Though I haven't watched Flash I definitely don't see where either of the others is any more sophisticated or complex than Smallville. (Of course, I only watched some of the pilot of Arrow but I watched probably 8 or 9 episodes of Supernatural before I became bored with its formula).

In any case we're diving down an off-topic rathole.

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"Think of the cable company as a group of terrorist (sic)." -- hookbill
michaeltscott is offline  
post #3619 of 5369 Old 01-25-2015, 11:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
undecided's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 1,570
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott View Post
That's marketing to either young women or gay males (or both ), and it wouldn't surprise me if young women were majority of the viewership for it and the other shows that you cite. When they stop using young pretty boys to depict heroes I'll believe that they're "moving past female oriented teen shows".
You have got to be kidding me - you haven't watched Flash and didn't finish the Arrow Pilot and you post quite (actually very) 'chauvinistic' views.

Both shows are on our weekly watch list while many others pile up episodes on the DVR or go unwatched on Netflix/Amazon.

They are not high-art - but are well done and very watchable (and have attractive actors/actresses for viewers of all persuasions )
undecided is offline  
post #3620 of 5369 Old 01-26-2015, 01:02 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
michaeltscott's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: San Diego, CA, USA
Posts: 20,517
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2844 Post(s)
Liked: 1518
Quote:
Originally Posted by undecided View Post
You have got to be kidding me - you haven't watched Flash and didn't finish the Arrow Pilot and you post quite (actually very) 'chauvinistic' views.

Both shows are on our weekly watch list while many others pile up episodes on the DVR or go unwatched on Netflix/Amazon.

They are not high-art - but are well done and very watchable (and have attractive actors/actresses for viewers of all persuasions )

I'm not questioning or commenting on the quality of the shows, just the assertion that Arrow, Flash and The 100 represent some sort of departure from the CW's courtship of the 18-34 y/o female demo. Perhaps they're trying to add to their viewership with sci-fi/comic book/fantasy series that are less pointedly romantic than some of their "legacy" programming, but they're doing so while trying not to lose their appeal to any of their current audience base.

My aunt likes Arrow a lot so I intend to eventually give it more of a trial; I just got distracted while watching the pilot and never got back to it. Right now I have a ridiculous backlog of stuff on my DVR.

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"Think of the cable company as a group of terrorist (sic)." -- hookbill

Last edited by michaeltscott; 01-26-2015 at 01:12 AM.
michaeltscott is offline  
post #3621 of 5369 Old 01-26-2015, 11:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
reddice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Posts: 2,753
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked: 128
I watched the first episode of the 100 but it turned me off when it started about a bunch of mean juvenile teenagers. I hate shows about teenagers. It would have keep my attention if it was the adults were the 100.

As for Arrow and the Flash I watch both even though Arrow is much darker and the Flash is not so I do like the Flash better.

Charter Spectrum.
My Router: Netgear R7000 - Advanced Tomato
3.5-140 K26ARM USB VPN-64K.
My Primary Streaming Device: Apple TV 4K (2017).
Cats are the best pets.
reddice is offline  
post #3622 of 5369 Old 01-26-2015, 12:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
cajieboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Space Coast, Florida
Posts: 4,528
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by reddice View Post
I watched the first episode of the 100 but it turned me off when it started about a bunch of mean juvenile teenagers. I hate shows about teenagers. It would have keep my attention if it was the adults were the 100.

As for Arrow and the Flash I watch both even though Arrow is much darker and the Flash is not so I do like the Flash better.
This is why I usually reserve my opinions on TV series until I've seen enough episodes, storyline, character development, etc. to make an informed assessment. Many times over the years, I've seen great pilot shows only to be greatly disappointed about the series as it developed. The reverse has also been true for me, when I've seen a poorly made pilot show only to be pleasantly surprised later as the series morphs into a gem.

The 100 started a bit weak for me too, but I saw promise and stuck with it. The story has taken so many surprise turns and twists, that I'm now definitely on the thumbs-up side. To each their own though, and opinions vary. I'm a huge Sci-Fi fan as well, so that helps!
cajieboy is offline  
post #3623 of 5369 Old 01-26-2015, 01:18 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
gadgtfreek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Bama
Posts: 12,135
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked: 5931
Many series take a good portion of the first season to get up and running nicely.

XBR65A9G / XBR65A8F
Oppo UDP-203 / Sony X800M2
AVRX6500H / RP-8000F / RP-504C / RP-502S / FV15HP
gadgtfreek is offline  
post #3624 of 5369 Old 01-26-2015, 02:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
reddice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Posts: 2,753
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by cajieboy View Post
This is why I usually reserve my opinions on TV series until I've seen enough episodes, storyline, character development, etc. to make an informed assessment. Many times over the years, I've seen great pilot shows only to be greatly disappointed about the series as it developed. The reverse has also been true for me, when I've seen a poorly made pilot show only to be pleasantly surprised later as the series morphs into a gem.

The 100 started a bit weak for me too, but I saw promise and stuck with it. The story has taken so many surprise turns and twists, that I'm now definitely on the thumbs-up side. To each their own though, and opinions vary. I'm a huge Sci-Fi fan as well, so that helps!
At least the first season is on Netflix and future seasons should show up after they finished so I can give it another chance. As I said I am very picky on shows. I finished many shows on Netflix so I am running out of things to watch. I tried some different shows like Bones, White Color but I ended up hating them as I hate cop shows from today. I loved the old cop shows like Hawaii-Five-O and Rockford Files but the new cop shows the characters have the personalty of a rock just miserable characters with miserable problems like serial killers, domestic violence etc. Shows like Fringe were different because even though the first season was very cop like it had the weirdness.

The only cop related show now I am watching is Psych because at least the characters have some comic personality. Also not yet on Netflix Forever currently on ABC I am enjoying even though it is a cop show the characters are likeable and it is more like a mystery. So mystery, weirdness and comic relief copy shows I will only watch.

Charter Spectrum.
My Router: Netgear R7000 - Advanced Tomato
3.5-140 K26ARM USB VPN-64K.
My Primary Streaming Device: Apple TV 4K (2017).
Cats are the best pets.
reddice is offline  
post #3625 of 5369 Old 01-26-2015, 06:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
cajieboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Space Coast, Florida
Posts: 4,528
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by reddice View Post
At least the first season is on Netflix and future seasons should show up after they finished so I can give it another chance. As I said I am very picky on shows. I finished many shows on Netflix so I am running out of things to watch. I tried some different shows like Bones, White Color but I ended up hating them as I hate cop shows from today. I loved the old cop shows like Hawaii-Five-O and Rockford Files but the new cop shows the characters have the personalty of a rock just miserable characters with miserable problems like serial killers, domestic violence etc. Shows like Fringe were different because even though the first season was very cop like it had the weirdness.

The only cop related show now I am watching is Psych because at least the characters have some comic personality. Also not yet on Netflix Forever currently on ABC I am enjoying even though it is a cop show the characters are likeable and it is more like a mystery. So mystery, weirdness and comic relief copy shows I will only watch.
I've gotten spoiled watching all these series on Netflix. not only are the commercials removed, but if I choose I can go on to the next episode w/o having to wait it out a whole week to see what happens next. A BIG plus in my books. I've made an exception for "The Sons of Liberty" that's playing on the History Channel right now. Pretty good show.

The cops shows usually bore me to no end. There have been exceptions, but few and far between. Last year's True Detective was excellent. Others cop shows I've enjoyed were The Wire, The Shield That's been awhile ago. Maybe there's one out there someplace but I've yet to discover it. Agree on Fringe, which was much more Sci-Fi than "cop" show.
cajieboy is offline  
post #3626 of 5369 Old 01-27-2015, 05:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
joed32's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 2,115
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by reddice View Post
At least the first season is on Netflix and future seasons should show up after they finished so I can give it another chance. As I said I am very picky on shows. I finished many shows on Netflix so I am running out of things to watch. I tried some different shows like Bones, White Color but I ended up hating them as I hate cop shows from today. I loved the old cop shows like Hawaii-Five-O and Rockford Files but the new cop shows the characters have the personalty of a rock just miserable characters with miserable problems like serial killers, domestic violence etc. Shows like Fringe were different because even though the first season was very cop like it had the weirdness.

The only cop related show now I am watching is Psych because at least the characters have some comic personality. Also not yet on Netflix Forever currently on ABC I am enjoying even though it is a cop show the characters are likeable and it is more like a mystery. So mystery, weirdness and comic relief copy shows I will only watch.
I've been watching one episode of Hawaii Five O a week for just over 160 weeks with still more than 100 to go.
reddice likes this.
joed32 is offline  
post #3627 of 5369 Old 01-27-2015, 12:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
reddice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Posts: 2,753
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by joed32 View Post
I've been watching one episode of Hawaii Five O a week for just over 160 weeks with still more than 100 to go.
I watched one nearly every night except when I got toward the end. I did it because I was afraid it was going to expire in July. Once I see that annoying Until date show up I stop watching it completely, remove it from my list and the very rare chance it does not go away I add it back and finish watching it.

As for the classic cop shows I did stop watching Quincy when it turned from a mystery show to a stupid social show about teen drugs, drinking, domestic abuse etch crap. Also the other shows like Dragnet I only watched one episode because there were not in HD and the SD was worse than DVD quality like it was taken from VHS.

Charter Spectrum.
My Router: Netgear R7000 - Advanced Tomato
3.5-140 K26ARM USB VPN-64K.
My Primary Streaming Device: Apple TV 4K (2017).
Cats are the best pets.
reddice is offline  
post #3628 of 5369 Old 01-27-2015, 12:16 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
michaeltscott's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: San Diego, CA, USA
Posts: 20,517
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2844 Post(s)
Liked: 1518
Lots of the time thing expire and they renew their licensing the next day and they show up as new. Probably the end of some agreement with a content provider seguing into a new agreement with same.

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"Think of the cable company as a group of terrorist (sic)." -- hookbill
michaeltscott is offline  
post #3629 of 5369 Old 01-27-2015, 12:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
reddice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Posts: 2,753
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott View Post
Lots of the time thing expire and they renew their licensing the next day and they show up as new. Probably the end of some agreement with a content provider seguing into a new agreement with same.
Not true. Netflix butchered the Disney show content. I think about 10 Disney kids series went away on 1/4. Now Lab Rats is expiring on 2/12 and just today Kickin it is going away on 2/26.
I complained much about it here
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/184-vi...e-instant.html
But since this is a Netflix Watch Instantly not a Netflix Lost Instantly also here
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/184-vi...y-content.html
I don't want to start something.

Also not to change the topic again but I bought DVD's of cartoons I use to watch that Netflix and Amazon Prime took off. I wonder if there is a way to copy them to a external HD and play them off the Fire TV or other device without actually having to have a PC on all the time?

Charter Spectrum.
My Router: Netgear R7000 - Advanced Tomato
3.5-140 K26ARM USB VPN-64K.
My Primary Streaming Device: Apple TV 4K (2017).
Cats are the best pets.

Last edited by reddice; 01-27-2015 at 12:26 PM.
reddice is offline  
post #3630 of 5369 Old 01-27-2015, 12:58 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
michaeltscott's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: San Diego, CA, USA
Posts: 20,517
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2844 Post(s)
Liked: 1518
Quote:
Originally Posted by reddice View Post
Not true. Netflix butchered the Disney show content. I think about 10 Disney kids series went away on 1/4. Now Lab Rats is expiring on 2/12 and just today Kickin it is going away on 2/26.
I complained much about it here
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/184-vi...e-instant.html
But since this is a Netflix Watch Instantly not a Netflix Lost Instantly also here
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/184-vi...y-content.html
I don't want to start something.

I said "lots of the time", not "all of the time". Tons of things expire and go away forever, but many things come back instantly, the day after they expire. Many times I'll look at a list of "new" Netflix content some of which has been in my queue for years. Latest case in point The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (original Swedish version).

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"Think of the cable company as a group of terrorist (sic)." -- hookbill
michaeltscott is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Video Download Services & Hardware

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off