Netflix Watch Instantly: Gems and Finds - Page 122 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 608Likes

post #3631 of 5407 Old 01-27-2015, 01:05 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2971 Post(s)
Liked: 3878
This is a pivotal year for NF streaming, contract expirations, etc .. actually, I think it's the biggest year they have faced ..

The good news is, I understand something around 350 new shows / series are coming on soon ..

And after all, we got "The Interview" ..
mailiang likes this.

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3632 of 5407 Old 01-27-2015, 01:11 PM

I know it's tough, but personally, I like maintaining the "Gems and Finds" topic as much as possible .. I know I've digressed as well in the past, and I just did again with the previous post .. but really, this is not the Netflix Bitches and Complaints Thread .. or the "How do I rip content to a HD so I can scab it on my Kindle" thread ..
cajieboy and Keenan like this.

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
post #3633 of 5407 Old 01-27-2015, 01:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott View Post
I said "lots of the time", not "all of the time". Tons of things expire and go away forever, but many things come back instantly, the day after they expire. Many times I'll look at a list of "new" Netflix content some of which has been in my queue for years. Latest case in point The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (original Swedish version).
I actually saw the original Swedish version of "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo" long before viewing the American re-make. Although I really like the actor Daniel Craig, I still preferred the original Swedish version of this movie.
Keenan and mailiang like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3634 of 5407 Old 01-27-2015, 01:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 987 Post(s)
Liked: 351
I would like to know of genuine gems and finds on Netflix - and that does not include "The Interview".

For instance - I watched a movie called "A Hijacking" on Netflix. Not sure if its still available for streaming.

Last week we watched a small-budget film movie called "Omar" on Netflix. Incredible. Now that's what I thought this thread tries to flag - identify gems and identify films that are hard to find elsewhere. If not, I would propose a separate thread for film geeks like me.

Last edited by umenon; 01-27-2015 at 01:35 PM.
post #3635 of 5407 Old 01-27-2015, 01:30 PM

Mentioned: 100 Post(s)
Quoted: 4471 Post(s)
Liked: 5820
Quote:
Originally Posted by cajieboy View Post
I actually saw the original Swedish version of "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo" long before viewing the American re-make. Although I really like the actor Daniel Craig, I still preferred the original Swedish version of this movie.
All of the Swedish films were filled with great performances. Noomi Rapace was riveting as Lisbeth but I liked the guy who played her creepy father almost as much. The actress who played Mikael Blomkvist's lawyer sister who ended up representing Lisbeth was terrific too. I have all three of the Swedish films on BD and the Fincher version of The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo too.
cajieboy likes this.
post #3636 of 5407 Old 01-27-2015, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by umenon View Post
I would like to know of genuine gems and finds on Netflix - and that does not include "The Interview".
Oh, trust me, I'm sure there are plenty that consider it a "Gem" ..

Uncle Willie

post #3637 of 5407 Old 01-27-2015, 01:40 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2844 Post(s)
Liked: 1518
Quote:

I do too, though I thought that the American remake was very faithful to the story and the original (the three films were edited down from a six-part Swedish TV mini-series, two 90 minute parts for each novel with about 3 hours worth of additional footage edited out of the movie trilogy; Netflix also has that form of it, which I recommend in part because the BD transfers of the 2nd and 3rd films had inexplicably poor PQ, as do the Netflix streams thereof). It was well directed, filmed and acted, which is a lot more than can be said for many American remakes of foreign films. It brings a great story to people who don't like watching dubbed or subtitled film. Frequently the story has been so mucked over in American remakes that it's hard to recognize the original in them.
cajieboy likes this.

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"Think of the cable company as a group of terrorist (sic)." -- hookbill

Last edited by michaeltscott; 01-27-2015 at 01:47 PM.
post #3638 of 5407 Old 01-27-2015, 01:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 987 Post(s)
Liked: 351
post #3639 of 5407 Old 01-27-2015, 01:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

For instance - I watched a movie called "A Hijacking" on Netflix. Not sure if its still available for streaming.

Last week we watched a small-budget film movie called "Omar" on Netflix. Incredible. Now that's what I thought this thread tries to flag - identify gems and identify films that are hard to find elsewhere. If not, I would propose a separate thread for film geeks like me.

There is just way too much subjective opinion to satisfy such a request. What you consider a "gem", I may think is really a stinker. For instance, your remarks on the "Interview" movie, which I strongly disagree. While I don't think this film will ever be considered a film noir classic by any stretch of the imagination, I did find it hilarious, and just plain mindless fun. Yes, movies can be fun too, and I could care less about the hype swirling around this flick. The Interview was streamed w/o any extra expense to me personally, and that's exactly how I wanted to see it. It was satire, and I had some very good laughs, which is more than I can say for some other movies I've experienced this past year
post #3640 of 5407 Old 01-27-2015, 02:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thanks Umenon. I've added both of your movie suggestions to my Netflix list. I'm getting quite a backlog, but both of your picks seem worth a look.
post #3641 of 5407 Old 01-27-2015, 03:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 647 Post(s)
Liked: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post
This is a pivotal year for NF streaming, contract expirations, etc .. actually, I think it's the biggest year they have faced ..

The good news is, I understand something around 350 new shows / series are coming on soon ..

And after all, we got "The Interview" ..
I am surprised Netflix got the Interview so fast even though I will never watch it. It did not even go on the premium channels like Starz which most Sony Picture's releases go.
As for expiration it was not as bad until the new year butchering many shows mostly kids programs.

Charter Spectrum.
My Router: Netgear R7000 - Advanced Tomato
3.5-140 K26ARM USB VPN-64K.
My Primary Streaming Device: Apple TV 4K (2017).
Cats are the best pets.

Last edited by reddice; 01-27-2015 at 03:12 PM.
post #3642 of 5407 Old 01-27-2015, 03:27 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by reddice View Post
At least the first season is on Netflix and future seasons should show up after they finished so I can give it another chance. As I said I am very picky on shows. I finished many shows on Netflix so I am running out of things to watch. I tried some different shows like Bones, White Color but I ended up hating them as I hate cop shows from today. I loved the old cop shows like Hawaii-Five-O and Rockford Files but the new cop shows the characters have the personalty of a rock just miserable characters with miserable problems like serial killers, domestic violence etc. Shows like Fringe were different because even though the first season was very cop like it had the weirdness.

The only cop related show now I am watching is Psych because at least the characters have some comic personality. Also not yet on Netflix Forever currently on ABC I am enjoying even though it is a cop show the characters are likeable and it is more like a mystery. So mystery, weirdness and comic relief copy shows I will only watch.

I'm surprised that you find the characters in White Collar miserable. It is a light hearted show with an up-beat main character (and some supporting ones) and has a good helping of humour.
post #3643 of 5407 Old 01-27-2015, 04:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 585 Post(s)
Liked: 361
Quote:
So did I. It was so far superior to the American remake... And it lacked that annoying Nine Inch Nails-type soundtrack music, too.

Denon x4400h, Samsung LED 1080p TV, B&W 704 mains, two M&K subwoofers, Oppo 103, Roku 2, Darbeevision, etc.
Headphone system: Focal Clear, Sennheiser HD600, AKG K702, Hifiman HE-400i, Marantz HD-DAC1, Denon DVD-3910
post #3644 of 5407 Old 01-28-2015, 10:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by passingbat View Post
I'm surprised that you find the characters in White Collar miserable. It is a light hearted show with an up-beat main character (and some supporting ones) and has a good helping of humour.
I was expecting more like Psych humor but to me it was more like Bones humor. Well White Collar and Bones are both produced by Fox Studio's hence the similarity with the characters. I did only watch 3 episodes of White Collar but after the third episode of season 1 which I hated I lost interest.

Charter Spectrum.
Cats are the best pets.
post #3645 of 5407 Old 01-31-2015, 07:49 PM

Mentioned: 100 Post(s)
Quoted: 4471 Post(s)
Liked: 5820
Thanks to whoever first gave the tip about Arrow. I have watched and really enjoyed the first eight episodes and am looking forward to more. The show is smart, at least by comic book caped crusader standards, and I think its cast has been uniformly excellent.

Watched the first season of The 100 but soon tired of supposedly high school age characters being portrayed by actors in their '20s. I know it happens all that time but I never find it convincing. On the plus side, the special effects are wonderful and the members of the cast portraying adults have been uniformly excellent
reddice likes this.
post #3646 of 5407 Old 01-31-2015, 08:50 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2844 Post(s)
Liked: 1518
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post
...tired of supposedly high school age characters being portrayed by actors in their '20s.

I looked up the ages of eight of the actors portraying main characters and the youngest is 23 (Jasper); three are over 25 (Octavia and Finn are portrayed by actors who are 28 and the actor who plays Bellamy is 30).

Tom Welling started playing teenage Clark Kent in Smallville at age 23 (I think that he was supposed to be a 15 y/o high school freshman, but ). At least Allison Mack and Kristin Kreuk were 19 at the start.

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"Think of the cable company as a group of terrorist (sic)." -- hookbill
post #3647 of 5407 Old 02-01-2015, 12:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I never understand why they have to have adults play teenagers in grown up shows but in kids shows they are actually around there age tween to teen.

Charter Spectrum.
Cats are the best pets.
post #3648 of 5407 Old 02-01-2015, 04:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 345 Post(s)
Liked: 115
Quote:
I never understand why they have to have adults play teenagers in grown up shows but in kids shows they are actually around there age tween to teen.

I agree, it's ridiculous. In movies too.
post #3649 of 5407 Old 02-01-2015, 08:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Liked: 269
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim McC View Post
I agree, it's ridiculous. In movies too.
Check out "Boyhood" once it's available on Netflix streaming (watched it yesterday on Amazon Prime download) extraordinary use of real life childhood actors as they age in "true" time over a 12 year time frame - excellent film & it's got my vote for best picture of the year.

post #3650 of 5407 Old 02-02-2015, 08:55 AM

February List

http://www.cnn.com/2015/01/31/entert...015/index.html
cajieboy likes this.

Uncle Willie

post #3651 of 5407 Old 02-02-2015, 10:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggsantafe View Post
Check out "Boyhood" once it's available on Netflix streaming (watched it yesterday on Amazon Prime download) extraordinary use of real life childhood actors as they age in "true" time over a 12 year time frame - excellent film & it's got my vote for best picture of the year.
Rented "Boyhood" a few weeks ago, and really enjoyed it. Amazing how Linklater got these actors to commit to such a long-range project. Excellent performances by Patricia Arquette and Ethan Hawk. I haven't seen many of the other Best Picture nominees so I reserve my personal vote, but I do highly recommend this movie.

After viewing Boyhood, I got curious about other films made by director Linklater, and just got through his movie "Before Sunrise". Again, Ethan Hawk was one of the main actors. This story continues in another movie "Before Sunset", and the latest of the trilogy "Before Midnight". Unfortunately, none of these trilogy films are on Netflix or Amazon Prime. My local library has all three if these flicks, so I'll be watching "Before Sunset" sometime this week.
post #3652 of 5407 Old 02-02-2015, 02:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 330 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Quote:
Most likely legal and cost issues. Underage kids have more restricted work time, what they can do, mandatory school times, etc...
post #3653 of 5407 Old 02-03-2015, 03:35 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
This thread is supposedly "Netflix Watch Instantly: Gems and Finds". If we were to all make recommendations of movies not currently available on NF, the list would be endless.....

Also, I went to check out "Boyhood". It is available on Amazon Instant Video for a fee (as opposed to Prime video which is free for members).
reddice and Boxozaxu like this.
post #3654 of 5407 Old 02-03-2015, 05:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by plasma21 View Post
This thread is supposedly "Netflix Watch Instantly: Gems and Finds". If we were to all make recommendations of movies not currently available on NF, the list would be endless.....

Also, I went to check out "Boyhood". It is available on Amazon Instant Video for a fee (as opposed to Prime video which is free for members).
I don't see anything wrong with suggesting titles that will be available in the future - the main purpose of my original post was to comment on the use of teenage actors versus older actors portraying young characters, and "Boyhood" remains an excellent example of the former.

post #3655 of 5407 Old 02-03-2015, 07:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by plasma21 View Post

I agree. If it is not on Prime video for a fee I pretend they don't have to stream like Netflix disc only content titles. Well at those outrageous rental and purchase titles they might as well be. It is cheaper to buy it on physical disc.

Charter Spectrum.
Cats are the best pets.
post #3656 of 5407 Old 02-03-2015, 08:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I don't see anything wrong with suggesting titles that will be available in the future - the main purpose of my original post was to comment on the use of teenage actors versus older actors portraying young characters, and "Boyhood" remains an excellent example of the former.
Of course there's nothing wrong with it. But you know there's always room for a chuckle when reading these self-appointed thread monitors scold other members when they don't adhere to fictitious guidelines.
post #3657 of 5407 Old 02-03-2015, 08:58 AM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Of course there's nothing wrong with it. But you know there's always room for a chuckle when reading these self-appointed thread monitors scold other members when they don't adhere to fictitious guidelines.

I wouldn't have thought the thread title, "Netflix Watch Instantly: Gems and Finds" doesn't need any guidelines; seems self explanatory to me.

I'd like to know how ggsantafe knows which titles Netflix will be buying the rights to in the future
post #3658 of 5407 Old 02-03-2015, 09:05 AM

Quote:

I'd like to know how ggsantafe knows which titles Netflix will be buying the rights to in the future
I am also curious in this regard .. is there some way of getting this info other than the usual announcements near the end of each month .. ??

and, in the spirit of the thread ... “House of Card” Season 3, is slated for Feb. 4
cajieboy likes this.

Uncle Willie

post #3659 of 5407 Old 02-03-2015, 06:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I wouldn't have thought the thread title, "Netflix Watch Instantly: Gems and Finds" doesn't need any guidelines; seems self explanatory to me.

No crystal ball here - I just assume that, as with most major releases, they will end up on Netflix sooner or later. Again - just to reiterate - after reading the discussion about older actors playing younger characters in many movies, and having just watched "Boyhood" on Amazon (and yes - I misspoke - it wasn't on prime but was a pay per view!!) I was impressed by the vivid performances of Ellar Coltrane & Lorelei Linklater as "real time" youngsters & teen agers.
Hey - I've picked up some excellent viewing tips on this thread over the years, and was simply sharing my impressions & joy, after viewing "Boyhood" - certainly didn't mean to offend anybody's strict interpretation of what information can be posted here.

I liked the movie and wholeheartedly recommend it on whatever platform one chooses to view the film.

post #3660 of 5407 Old 02-04-2015, 12:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Quote:
Quote:
I wouldn't have thought the thread title, "Netflix Watch Instantly: Gems and Finds" doesn't need any guidelines; seems self explanatory to me

I agree the thread title is self explanatory. With roughly sixty seven kabillion threads on AVSForum, I appreciate friendly reminders to keep threads from unintentionally drifting off on too many tangents, so I can best use the limited time I have available reading about topics I am most interested in.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Video Download Services & Hardware

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page