Netflix Watch Instantly: Gems and Finds - Page 123 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 618Likes

post #3661 of 5430 Old 02-04-2015, 11:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 729 Post(s)
Liked: 529
Quote:
Originally Posted by reddice View Post
At least the first season is on Netflix and future seasons should show up after they finished so I can give it another chance. As I said I am very picky on shows. I finished many shows on Netflix so I am running out of things to watch. I tried some different shows like Bones, White Color but I ended up hating them as I hate cop shows from today. I loved the old cop shows like Hawaii-Five-O and Rockford Files but the new cop shows the characters have the personalty of a rock just miserable characters with miserable problems like serial killers, domestic violence etc. Shows like Fringe were different because even though the first season was very cop like it had the weirdness.

The only cop related show now I am watching is Psych because at least the characters have some comic personality. Also not yet on Netflix Forever currently on ABC I am enjoying even though it is a cop show the characters are likeable and it is more like a mystery. So mystery, weirdness and comic relief copy shows I will only watch.
If you want good cop shows watch British imports. Broadchurch, happy valley, the fall. All on Netflix.
cajieboy likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3662 of 5430 Old 02-05-2015, 02:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2458 Post(s)
Liked: 2112
Regarding UK imports, I notice that Sky's "Fortitude" is playing pretty much in sync with it playing in the UK on the Pivot channel in the US. So I'm wondering if this is going to be a trend and maybe even the BBC doing same.
post #3663 of 5430 Old 02-05-2015, 02:40 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 4342 Post(s)
Liked: 4020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Conrad View Post
Regarding UK imports, I notice that Sky's "Fortitude" is playing pretty much in sync with it playing in the UK on the Pivot channel in the US. So I'm wondering if this is going to be a trend and maybe even the BBC doing same.
Since Comcast doesn't carry the HD version of Pivot I checked out the OnDemand version and it appears to have some frame-rate conversion jerkiness to it, think I'll wait for the UK Blu-ray, or maybe even Netflix, though the disc will be sooner I expect.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3664 of 5430 Old 02-05-2015, 02:41 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

http://dvd.netflix.com/Movie/Babylon...l&trkid=222336
Quote:
Originally Posted by barth2k View Post
If you want good cop shows watch British imports. Broadchurch, happy valley, the fall. All on Netflix.
These are all excellent!

Though it's not available for streaming yet, Babylon is also good, it's sort of a Sorkin/Ianucci mashup with a decidedly darker edge to it.

Last edited by Keenan; 02-05-2015 at 02:47 PM.
post #3665 of 5430 Old 02-05-2015, 03:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keenan View Post
Since Comcast doesn't carry the HD version of Pivot I checked out the OnDemand version and it appears to have some frame-rate conversion jerkiness to it, think I'll wait for the UK Blu-ray, or maybe even Netflix, though the disc will be sooner I expect.
The first episode is free on Amazon as well as viewable from the Pivot.tv site. As for jerkiness on Comcast, did someone do frame conversion to a likely 24 fps source? IOW, not necessary but what you get giving the task to someone who lacks experience.
post #3666 of 5430 Old 02-05-2015, 03:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
http://dvd.netflix.com/Movie/Babylon...l&trkid=222336

These are all excellent!

Though it's not available for streaming yet, Babylon is also good, it's sort of a Sorkin/Ianucci mashup with a decidedly darker edge to it.
I've been watching "Babylon" on VUDU. The first episode (pilot) was free and there are 6 additional episodes. So I "own" the pilot (listed as episode 1 and around 90 minutes long and additional episodes are $2.99 in HD and HDX which always looks better than Netflix. But they sell the season for $19.95. Do the math.

Given the OnDemand window it may be available on Netflix come about April or May.
post #3667 of 5430 Old 02-05-2015, 03:22 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
The first episode is free on Amazon as well as viewable from the Pivot.tv site. As for jerkiness on Comcast, did someone do frame conversion to a likely 24 fps source? IOW, not necessary but what you get giving the task to someone who lacks experience.
I'm guessing it's a 25 fps source given that it's Sky production, Pivot is just their USA broadcast partner. There's a long pan of the landscape a few minutes in where the jerkiness can be seen.
post #3668 of 5430 Old 02-05-2015, 03:41 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
I've been watching "Babylon" on VUDU. The first episode (pilot) was free and there are 6 additional episodes. So I "own" the pilot (listed as episode 1 and around 90 minutes long and additional episodes are $2.99 in HD and HDX which always looks better than Netflix. But they sell the season for $19.95. Do the math.

Given the OnDemand window it may be available on Netflix come about April or May.
The pilot episode was directed by Danny Boyle(Trainspotting, Slumdog Millionaire), he's also an executive producer of the show.
post #3669 of 5430 Old 02-05-2015, 04:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I'm guessing it's a 25 fps source given that it's Sky production, Pivot is just their USA broadcast partner. There's a long pan of the landscape a few minutes in where the jerkiness can be seen.
I don't think they actually "film" at 25 fps but 24 instead (provides global compatibility). They can speed up to 25 fps with sound correction though I've read there are newer methods where speedup is not necessary for PAL versions (like how many microseconds you hold each frame).
post #3670 of 5430 Old 02-05-2015, 04:46 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
I don't think they actually "film" at 25 fps but 24 instead (provides global compatibility). They can speed up to 25 fps with sound correction though I've read there are newer methods where speedup is not necessary for PAL versions (like how many microseconds you hold each frame).
Yeah, I was thinking that Pivot may have been using a 50 Hz version of the content and like you noted, their skills at conversion may not have been up to snuff. What ever the cause, there is a definite stutter with that OnDemand version. The regular HD broadcast may not have it, I don't have anyway to check though. I had never even heard of Pivot until this show, and after looking over their website it seems like a extremely odd pairing with a show like Fortitude.
post #3671 of 5430 Old 02-06-2015, 10:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Yeah, I was thinking that Pivot may have been using a 50 Hz version of the content and like you noted, their skills at conversion may not have been up to snuff. What ever the cause, there is a definite stutter with that OnDemand version. The regular HD broadcast may not have it, I don't have anyway to check though. I had never even heard of Pivot until this show, and after looking over their website it seems like a extremely odd pairing with a show like Fortitude.
Some might have said the same thing of WGN and "Manhattan."

So does Comcast still use MPEG-2 transport streams? That would be the problem. I watch the first few minutes of "Fortitude" which is free on VUDU in HDX and there was no judder while panning over the landscape which starts at 2 minutes.
post #3672 of 5430 Old 02-06-2015, 12:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Meant to add that "Joe" is probably one of the best things that Nicholas Cage has done in a while. I even gave it 5 stars.
post #3673 of 5430 Old 02-06-2015, 12:52 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3105 Post(s)
Liked: 4102
Quote:
Meant to add that "Joe" is probably one of the best things that Nicholas Cage has done in a while. I even gave it 5 stars.

2nd that .. along with 5 stars as well ..

and as a documentary fan and a musician .. The Ballad of Ramblin' Jack .. is well worth a watch ..

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
post #3674 of 5430 Old 02-06-2015, 12:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 339 Post(s)
Liked: 274
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post

and as a documentary fan and a musician .. The Ballad of Ramblin' Jack .. is well worth a watch ..
Haven't seen "Joe" but can definitely vouch for "The Ballad of Ramblin' Jack" - most excellent - can also recommend "Good Ol' Freda" offering unique view of the world of the Beatles in the 60's :http://www.netflix.com/WiMovie/70273...h-autocomplete

post #3675 of 5430 Old 02-06-2015, 01:24 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
Some might have said the same thing of WGN and "Manhattan."

So does Comcast still use MPEG-2 transport streams? That would be the problem. I watch the first few minutes of "Fortitude" which is free on VUDU in HDX and there was no judder while panning over the landscape which starts at 2 minutes.
Yes, Comcast does still use MPEG-2 video. I have no idea what their VOD content is but it almost certainly must be MPEG-2 as well.
post #3676 of 5430 Old 02-06-2015, 01:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 647 Post(s)
Liked: 128
Marvel Daredevil series is stinking MA rated. I knew it would be. Marvel series and movies were always PG, PG-13 not R or Mature rated. Even the Daredevil movie which I have on DVD was PG-13.
I guess this is what you get when you can get away with anything. I know people want that but come on Netflix. Marvel Agents of Shield and Agent Carter is rated PG which I watch and enjoy. I am tired of only KIDS SHOWS being watchable that original that I only watch that is not mature rated. Same crap happened with HBO and Showtime in the 90's I use to be able to watch some series now everything is MA rated on there.

I can't rate it not interested. No thank you to a series getting ruined with sex and swearing and me it does not take place in the same universe as the Hulk, Iron Man, Captain America. How can it? That's that. Now you wonder why I am against original series. What is Netflix going to ruin next Star Trek I heard they wanted to come out with a original series partnered with Netflix no thanks Gene Roddenberry will be turning in his grave.

Had to get that off my chest. Okay rant over.

Anyone notice that MASH they just added does not look right. I did not play a episode but according to the screen artwork it looks stretched. Also I was hoping it would have been remastered in HD. Really running out of things to watch on Netflix and I would have liked MASH but not at poor quality.

Charter Spectrum.
My Router: Netgear R7000 - Advanced Tomato
3.5-140 K26ARM USB VPN-64K.
My Primary Streaming Device: Apple TV 4K (2017).
Cats are the best pets.

Last edited by reddice; 02-06-2015 at 02:02 PM.
post #3677 of 5430 Old 02-06-2015, 02:20 PM

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 4588 Post(s)
Liked: 4802
Quote:
Marvel Daredevil series is stinking MA rated. I knew it would be. Marvel series and movies were always PG, PG-13 not R or Mature rated. Even the Daredevil movie which I have on DVD was PG-13.
I guess this is what you get when you can get away with anything. I know people want that but come on Netflix. Marvel Agents of Shield and Agent Carter is rated PG which I watch and enjoy. I am tired of only KIDS SHOWS being watchable that original that I only watch that is not mature rated. Same crap happened with HBO and Showtime in the 90's I use to be able to watch some series now everything is MA rated on there.

I can't rate it not interested. No thank you to a series getting ruined with sex and swearing and me it does not take place in the same universe as the Hulk, Iron Man, Captain America. How can it? That's that. Now you wonder why I am against original series. What is Netflix going to ruin next Star Trek I heard they wanted to come out with a original series partnered with Netflix no thanks Gene Roddenberry will be turning in his grave.

Had to get that off my chest. Okay rant over.

Anyone notice that MASH they just added does not look right. I did not play a episode but according to the screen artwork it looks stretched. Also I was hoping it would have been remastered in HD. Really running out of things to watch on Netflix and I would have liked MASH but not at poor quality.
You have no sex or swearing in your life?

Which M*A*S*H*? Movie or tv series?
post #3678 of 5430 Old 02-06-2015, 02:27 PM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3105 Post(s)
Liked: 4102
Quote:

Most all Marvel actual comics are T rated .. that's equivalent to PG-13 .. and it's doubtful Roddenberry would ever have any problem with a more adult Trek since, after all, Gene Roddenberry was a regular Don Draper .. there was plenty of innuendo in the original Trek .. (edit .. since I forgot that with your criteria, you likely don't know who Don Draper is)

Some folks do actually have sex and sometimes swear in real life .. .. although at my age, the sex part gets a bit cloudy ..

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?

Last edited by mgkdragn; 02-06-2015 at 04:01 PM. Reason: edit .. since I forgot that with your criteria, you likely don't know who Don Draper is
post #3679 of 5430 Old 02-06-2015, 02:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Does not matter won't be watching it and rate it not interested still get peeved off when they don't renew a contract of a show I am watching though and blame it on only making original content.

Back on the topic of Mash TV series sorry about that. it does not look right to me. I will play the first episode to try it out otherwise I will contact Netflix maybe even by phone.

Charter Spectrum.
Cats are the best pets.

Last edited by reddice; 02-06-2015 at 02:44 PM.
post #3680 of 5430 Old 02-06-2015, 02:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Surprise, surprise! Rather than re-naming this thread "Netflix Pet Peeves & Complaints", I'm actually going to list a "Gem and Finds". Just watched "National Geographic: Amazing Planet: Born of Fire". Excellent documentary.

Next "Gem and Find" I watched was "Nanking". Another documentary that tells the true story of the Japanese invasion of Nanking in 1937, and the tragedy that befell the Chinese people at the brutal occupation under the Japanese Imperial Army four years before the USA entered WWII. Check it out.
post #3681 of 5430 Old 02-06-2015, 02:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

You can't rename a post topic title you create. I tried. I think only the mods can do so.

Nice fine cajieboy. Here is the link. I am going to check it out.
cajieboy likes this.

Charter Spectrum.
Cats are the best pets.
post #3682 of 5430 Old 02-06-2015, 03:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 847 Post(s)
Liked: 659
Quote:
You can't rename a post topic title you create. I tried. I think only the mods can do so.
Right. And in a post by one of the mods it was stated that the original poster could "flag" the post and request the thread be renamed and suggest a new title. To flag a message, start by clicking on the ! in a triangle at the bottom left of the message you wish to flag, and then you will have an area to write to the mods. (Yes, the text under that box comes up saying it should be used only for spam, harassing and other inappropriate messages, but that is also where the mods had stated they want the "rename thread" messages since that flags the thread for their attention, whereas just posting a regular message in the thread could easily be overlooked by the mods or not even seen by a mod.)

Bed-roomVizio E500i-A1 "Smart TV" (50-in 1080p), Xfinity XG1v4-A (HD DVR), Xfinity cable (Digital Preferred), Sony BDP-S185 Blu-ray player.
PC roomLG 32LV3400-UA TV (32-in 768p), Sony BDP-S3100 Blu-ray player, Xfinity Internet, Roku Ultra with Netflix & Xfinity Beta Streaming channels.

Last edited by Mark12547; 02-06-2015 at 03:31 PM.
post #3683 of 5430 Old 02-07-2015, 06:27 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked: 6136
If you understand anything about Daredevil, as with Wolverine (I do on both accounts), the only proper way to do those sources is at least an "R" rating.

A PG13 Wolverine can not be faithful to the comic with certain restrictions (why even do it), and I feel the same about daredevil. The first daredevil movie removed a lot of scenes (taking pain pills) to tone it down and it was ridiculous. Daredevil is a human, like batman, and he takes a beating. Be realistic to the source or do not do it at all.

If the source is not meant for kids, dont make it rated for kids (pre teen)... As a comic reader, this is a huge pet peeve of mine. This is one thing I love about HBO, Starz, AMC, Fx and Netflix. They aren't afraid to show it all to you, and look at the results of Walking Dead, SoA, GoT, etc...

XBR65A9G / XBR65A8F / 55R615
DP-UB420 / Uverse / Roku Ultra
AVRX6500H / RP-8000F / RP-504C / RP-502S / RP-500SA / FV15HP (5.1.2)
post #3684 of 5430 Old 02-07-2015, 12:01 PM

Quoted: 2844 Post(s)
Liked: 1518
Quote:

If 24 fps versions exist, why does Netflix always encode 25 fps for British television (and AFAICT, only British television)? Stupid and annoying, since US equipment can generally only output that as 60 fps. Maybe they can only get their hands on 25 fps sources for some reason.
Keenan likes this.

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"Think of the cable company as a group of terrorist (sic)." -- hookbill
post #3685 of 5430 Old 02-07-2015, 01:15 PM

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post

Thanks so much for mentioning Rambling Jack. I just finished watching and enjoyed it immensely.
post #3686 of 5430 Old 02-07-2015, 01:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott View Post
If 24 fps versions exist, why does Netflix always encode 25 fps for British television (and AFAICT, only British television)? Stupid and annoying, since US equipment can generally only output that as 60 fps. Maybe they can only get their hands on 25 fps sources for some reason.
Data acquisition 101: most all "filming" (aka videoing) except for sports events is usually at 24 fps. Most likely the UK versions are either encoded at 25 fps or muxed for (still 24fps). This so that it can playback on less flexible devices. Having written a player you don't bother with pulldown just calculate how long each frame should be held for display and drop the next frame if falling behind the audio. You can do this with modern chipsets.

Some of the networks like NBC actually showed a 24fps rate on their broadcast transport streams. CBS the same but it was hidden so you would set frame rate to 24fps to avoid a funny stutter when converting. Most likely Comcast got an h264 and needed to convert back to MPEG-2 for their transport stream. Remember this was part of the discussion a few years back when HBO switched to h264 and Comcast was converting those streams to MP2.

Most likely we'll see a good source if Netflix picks up "Fortitude."
post #3687 of 5430 Old 02-07-2015, 01:30 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott View Post
It was shot with the Arri Alexa.
post #3688 of 5430 Old 02-07-2015, 10:29 PM

Quoted: 2844 Post(s)
Liked: 1518
Netflix has added the famed (among the 4K content hungry) "Tears of Steel" clip in 4K. The highest bit rate Netflix 4K video encode is 15.6 Mbps, but I believe that's higher than all but one of the downloads I've seen. Looks pretty sharp . Regardless of whether you can view it in 2160p I'd count it as being a "gem", a cool little sci-fi mini-movie.

Strangely they've presented it as a series, with the first "episode" being the 12 minute clip, the 2nd being it repeated for 2 hours and the third being it repeated for 8 hours. Like the test clips which have 2160p encodes, it is not listed in the "Ultra HD 4K" genre.

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"Think of the cable company as a group of terrorist (sic)." -- hookbill
post #3689 of 5430 Old 02-08-2015, 06:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:
Saw "Joe" a few nights ago. Totally agree. Nicholas Cage put on an excellent performance. For some time, I've thought that Cage has been taking roles just for the paycheck. I think Cage's last really great role was "Leaving Las Vegas". For me, that was Oscar material, which got him a nomination. Thanks for the tip on "Joe".
post #3690 of 5430 Old 02-08-2015, 07:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 339 Post(s)
Liked: 274
Quote:
Originally Posted by cajieboy View Post
Saw "Joe" a few nights ago. Totally agree. Nicholas Cage put on an excellent performance. For some time, I've thought that Cage has been taking roles just for the paycheck. I think Cage's last really great role was "Leaving Las Vegas". For me, that was Oscar material, which got him a nomination. Thanks for the tip on "Joe".
You got that part right! Here's an article from a year ago discussing Cage's finances.
http://www.celebritynetworth.com/art...ollar-fortune/

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Video Download Services & Hardware

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page