Netflix Watch Instantly: Gems and Finds - Page 171 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 608Likes

post #5101 of 5409 Old 11-21-2018, 07:51 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2976 Post(s)
Liked: 3882
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbarach View Post
Do you need to watch Seasons 1 and 2 to understand Season 3?
"Narcos/Mexico" stands alone cleanly .. no "Narcos" pre lim required ..

I had do to do a double take when Pablo Escobar entered the show ..

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5102 of 5409 Old 11-21-2018, 11:39 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 3948 Post(s)
Liked: 3659
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post
"Narcos/Mexico" stands alone cleanly .. no "Narcos" pre lim required ..

I had do to do a double take when Pablo Escobar entered the show ..
As well as the Cali guys. It was nice how they interspersed those previously seen groups into the most recent iteration.
mgkdragn and frank xbe like this.
post #5103 of 5409 Old 11-21-2018, 11:56 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomo657 View Post
Since this is a Netflix thread I will talk about Netflix. I have enough on my watch list to binge everyday and continually add new titles.

I have no interest let me repeat NO INTEREST in subscribing to CBS, Disney and etc they all can kiss where the sun doesn’t shine. Hulu was supposed to be where they offered content that’s not on Prime or Netflix especially since it started as a collaboration of content providers.

This fragmentation serves no one, then I will have to subscribe to those as well as ESPN and eventually TBS/TNT for sports. I’m mad as hell and I won’t take it any more.

I apologize for my old man rant .
OTA, Roku,Netflix ,Hulu, You Tube app etc ,and Amazon Prime here only use the 3 alphabet legacy networks OTA for sports

Binge watched Narcos Mexico here ,gave up Direct TV too much rubbish in the channel packages.

Samsung 55KS8000 ,Samsung 55MU6300 . Sony 55X850C ,LG 42LB5400 ,Roku 2
Sony ES 7.1HT AVR modest 5.1 surround with Elac B6 fronts w/other impedance and sensitivity matched surrounds , center and powered sub that work well for what it is.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5104 of 5409 Old 11-21-2018, 12:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1193 Post(s)
Liked: 772
The Kominsky Method.https://www.netflix.com/browse?jbv=80201680&jbp=0&jbr=1

Ian
biga6761 likes this.

The best way to succeed in life is to act on the advice you give to others

post #5105 of 5409 Old 11-25-2018, 09:59 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by karlsch View Post
I just watched it.

It might be the type of movie that some people think is absolutely great, and others totally dislike.

I'm in the absolutely great camp. I watched it on my 10-foot screen, which is almost like being in a movie theater.

The cinematography is spectacular. The music is great.

Instead of being TV format, six separate episodes about the same length, it's a movie with 6 separate stories based on a (fictional) old-time book of Western tales, each story in the movie based on a chapter in the book. If you pause while watching you can read the beginning and end of each chapter.

The first story, about a Gene Autry type singing cowboy dressed in white, is humorous. Unlike Gene, this singing cowboy likes killing people.

The second, also humorous, is about a would-be bank robber who can't seem to escape the noose.

The third, called “Meal Ticket” is really dark and disturbing, about a man with no arms and legs in a traveling wagon show who recites famous poems and speeches so the wagon owner can collect money from the spectators. The man with no arms and legs is the meal ticket.

The fourth is about a gold miner who finds an absolutely pristine, beautiful place that seems to have never been visited by humans. He starts digging while being watched by an owl.

The fifth, also somewhat disturbing, is about a young woman on the Oregon Trail.

The sixth, with Tyne Daly, I'll let you watch. They were looking for a grandmotherly like person before the filming. Is Tyne that person?
We watched it last night and thoroughly enjoyed it.

Your summary is spot on except I found the darker segments less disturbing than I had anticipated. Perhaps I am just too jaded. The first segment was by far the most enjoyable imo, and I kept hoping that one of the subsequent episodes would match it. Not to be.
post #5106 of 5409 Old 11-25-2018, 01:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 406 Post(s)
Liked: 271
Gem
New Arrival, "Sick Note". 2 seasons, 6 episodes in season 1, 8 in s2. I'm 3 episodes in and its hilarious. Stars Rupert Grint and Nick Frost.

Dazed and confused over high tech.

Sigh...Concrap. The Internet Overlord Cometh
They're not com-tastic!

Last edited by Westly-C; 11-25-2018 at 01:50 PM.
post #5107 of 5409 Old 11-30-2018, 09:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Wink Another Marvels series bites the dust

http://www.digitalspy.com/tv/daredev...etflix-disney/

Ian

post #5108 of 5409 Old 11-30-2018, 09:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Liked: 269
Springsteen on Broadway

Arriving December 16: www.netflix.com/title/80232329
mailiang likes this.

post #5109 of 5409 Old 11-30-2018, 10:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 814 Post(s)
Liked: 801
Quote:
Originally Posted by mailiang View Post

Everyone wanting a separate piece of the streaming pie is only in the best interest of the conglomerates not the individual consumers.

"well you know what doctor I'm going to go home take two aspirins and call you a b****"
post #5110 of 5409 Old 12-01-2018, 11:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2376 Post(s)
Liked: 1979
Quote:
Everyone wanting a separate piece of the streaming pie is only in the best interest of the conglomerates not the individual consumers.
Notice the trend toward ad supported streaming as if there is a prediction that the general public may not be able to afford monthly paid streaming services.

I watched episode one of "1983" and am hooked. It was hard to not stay up and watch episode two. It's an alternate history scenario where Poland was not able to break away from the Soviet Union in 1983 and takes place twenty years later in a totalitarian government where interestingly enough technology developed faster than it actually did.
post #5111 of 5409 Old 12-01-2018, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Personally, I don't believe the fragmentation of the "pie" will work out as the Bonanza the companies like Disney expect .. I also believe the loss of "Daredevil" is as much NF decision as it was Disney's ..

As an interesting side note, I have wished for a la carte CATV for years .. well, this week, when my annual CATV / Phone / ISP bill took it's regular price hike, I had to do the "Call Spectrum Song and Dance" .. and this time, I was not bluffing them when I threatened to cancel it all but the ISP unless the bill could be reduced and given a longer term price fix .. I was prepared to, reluctantly, work the Streaming Providers for content and port my Home Phone to Google Voice ..

After a lengthy "discussion", low and behold, Spectrum offered me a new package, just implemented in select markets over the last few months, which allowed me to get the Basic CATV, as well as my own selection of 10 regular channels of my CHOICE with DVR .. 200Mbps ISP and Home Phone, as well as HBO, Showtime, Cinemax, Starz, etc .. for $140 clams a month .. and, a 24 month price guarantee .. a downloadable app that will work on a ROKU / Fire Stick, etc that allows me to transport my package to any TV that is within Wi Fi range without the need of a CATV box .. and, on the 10 channel personal choice, I can change my lineup if I want to ..

Winning ..

I don't think they even have this on the Website .. I went from $225 a month to $140 ..

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
post #5112 of 5409 Old 12-01-2018, 08:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 2149 Post(s)
Liked: 3251
Quote:
Personally, I don't believe the fragmentation of the "pie" will work out as the Bonanza the companies like Disney expect .. I also believe the loss of "Daredevil" is as much NF decision as it was Disney's ..

As an interesting side note, I have wished for a la carte CATV for years .. well, this week, when my annual CATV / Phone / ISP bill took it's regular price hike, I had to do the "Call Spectrum Song and Dance" .. and this time, I was not bluffing them when I threatened to cancel it all but the ISP unless the bill could be reduced and given a longer term price fix .. I was prepared to, reluctantly, work the Streaming Providers for content and port my Home Phone to Google Voice ..

After a lengthy "discussion", low and behold, Spectrum offered me a new package, just implemented in select markets over the last few months, which allowed me to get the Basic CATV, as well as my own selection of 10 regular channels of my CHOICE with DVR .. 200Mbps ISP and Home Phone, as well as HBO, Showtime, Cinemax, Starz, etc .. for $140 clams a month .. and, a 24 month price guarantee .. a downloadable app that will work on a ROKU / Fire Stick, etc that allows me to transport my package to any TV that is within Wi Fi range without the need of a CATV box .. and, on the 10 channel personal choice, I can change my lineup if I want to ..

Winning ..

I don't think they even have this on the Website .. I went from $225 a month to $140 ..
The first cord cutter who complains about this deal will suffer the wrath of..... Oh you have a fan see below..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	inQsQZP.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	51.0 KB
ID:	2489988  

"Espresso is like tequila, when in doubt apply more shots."
post #5113 of 5409 Old 12-02-2018, 12:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
You can usually count on "the guys who wear Armani" to not "get it."
post #5114 of 5409 Old 12-03-2018, 10:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 2149 Post(s)
Liked: 3251
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Conrad View Post
You can usually count on "the guys who wear Armani" to not "get it."
It's the guys in the Hickey Freemans' you really have to watch out for.

"Espresso is like tequila, when in doubt apply more shots."
post #5115 of 5409 Old 12-04-2018, 07:09 AM

I finally had some time to begin to dig into "Frontier" .. I'm thru Season 1 and half of Season 2 .. not a great show, but certainly watchable .. Jason Momoa / Declan Harp does a good job ..

He's a big guy, but for me, does not appear as huge as he did as Khal Drogo on "GOT" .. he just seemed like a Giant on "GOT" .. also looking forward to "Aquaman", with which he has done a good job with so far ..

Uncle Willie

post #5116 of 5409 Old 12-04-2018, 11:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Finished "1983" last night. Great series and highly recommend especially if you like alt history scenarios (Al Gore won in this one). It's in Polish but there is an English dub available from the menu.
post #5117 of 5409 Old 12-04-2018, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Finished "1983" last night. Great series and highly recommend especially if you like alt history scenarios (Al Gore won in this one). It's in Polish but there is an English dub available from the menu.
Good to know, thanks ..

Uncle Willie

post #5118 of 5409 Old 12-04-2018, 11:56 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Thanks for the info on "1983", I vacillated between that one and the Columbian Wild District as my next watch and I ended up with the latter. It looks great in 4K by the way. "1983" will be next.
post #5119 of 5409 Old 12-04-2018, 11:58 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
I finally had some time to begin to dig into "Frontier" .. I'm thru Season 1 and half of Season 2 .. not a great show, but certainly watchable .. Jason Momoa / Declan Harp does a good job ..

He's a big guy, but for me, does not appear as huge as he did as Khal Drogo on "GOT" .. he just seemed like a Giant on "GOT" .. also looking forward to "Aquaman", with which he has done a good job with so far ..
I've had "Frontier" in my list for a long time but never delved into it, it's one of those shows that's always on the cusp of being the "next one" but something else always seems to take the prize. Someday...
post #5120 of 5409 Old 12-04-2018, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keenan View Post
I've had "Frontier" in my list for a long time but never delved into it, it's one of those shows that's always on the cusp of being the "next one" but something else always seems to take the prize. Someday...
It was exactly the same for me .. had it in the Q since season One .. it's at season 3 now .. I guess I was just in the mood for some Redcoat / Fur Trapping / Violent hijinks ..
Keenan likes this.

Uncle Willie

post #5121 of 5409 Old 12-07-2018, 09:12 AM

Polished off "Frontier" last night .. it's a fairly quick binge, since each season is 6 episodes around 45 minutes each .. the ending left it open enough to do more, yet closed enough to not do more, if that makes sense ..

I have my doubts there will be more, since Momoa is really climbing the Actor ladder at this point .. although I'd watch another season if one gets coughed up ..

Fur Trapping / Redcoat / Native American Wilderness Drama is a very much underserved portion of the TV Landscape ..

(As a bonus, some of the Northern Outdoor Landscape scenes were spectacular .. NF dropped some coin on some of this show)

Uncle Willie

post #5122 of 5409 Old 12-07-2018, 10:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Netflix Watch Instantly: Gems and Finds

Quote:
Polished off "Frontier" last night .. it's a fairly quick binge, since each season is 6 episodes around 45 minutes each .. the ending left it open enough to do more, yet closed enough to not do more, if that makes sense ..

I have my doubts there will be more, since Momoa is really climbing the Actor ladder at this point .. although I'd watch another season if one gets coughed up ..

Fur Trapping / Redcoat / Native American Wilderness Drama is a very much underserved portion of the TV Landscape ..

(As a bonus, some of the Northern Outdoor Landscape scenes were spectacular .. NF dropped some coin on some of this show)

I enjoyed Frontier a lot IMO Momoa has been a budding star every since Baywatch (the original).

"well you know what doctor I'm going to go home take two aspirins and call you a b****"

Last edited by gomo657; 12-07-2018 at 10:42 AM.
post #5123 of 5409 Old 12-07-2018, 11:49 AM

Quote:
I enjoyed Frontier a lot IMO Momoa has been a budding star every since Baywatch (the original).
Never watched that show .. I first remember him as Khal Drogo

Uncle Willie

post #5124 of 5409 Old 12-07-2018, 11:54 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
Never watched that show .. I first remember him as Khal Drogo
"Stargate: Atlantis" for me.
post #5125 of 5409 Old 12-07-2018, 11:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keenan View Post
"Stargate: Atlantis" for me.

I just find it amazing that so many didn’t know of him until GOT and he’s also married to the beautiful Lisa Bonet and stepfather to Zoë Kravitz.
Keenan likes this.

post #5126 of 5409 Old 12-07-2018, 12:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 2292 Post(s)
Liked: 2570
The Bad Batch with Jason Momoa is very weird and very slow. It's not very good but I couldn't stop watching it.

https://www.netflix.com/title/80099204
post #5127 of 5409 Old 12-08-2018, 01:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I've watched two episodes of "Pine Gap" that dropped yesterday and was recommended by friends across the pond. It's an Australian drama about a US-Aussie surveillance post. So far very good and available in 4K.
ggsantafe likes this.
post #5128 of 5409 Old 12-08-2018, 01:49 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

^It's in my list.
post #5129 of 5409 Old 12-08-2018, 02:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I've watched two episodes of "Pine Gap" that dropped yesterday and was recommended by friends across the pond. It's an Australian drama about a US-Aussie surveillance post. So far very good and available in 4K.
Brian, you're an IT guy, post the link.

Ian

post #5130 of 5409 Old 12-08-2018, 02:23 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by mailiang View Post
Brian, you're an IT guy, post the link.