Netflix Watch Instantly: Gems and Finds - Page 176 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 593Likes

post #5251 of 5369 Old 02-03-2019, 07:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 755 Post(s)
Liked: 738
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodge DeBoulet View Post
If you think Bojack Horseman is for kids, you obviously haven't seen it ...

Most definitely not CPS would be called

"well you know what doctor I'm going to go home take two aspirins and call you a b****"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5252 of 5369 Old 02-03-2019, 08:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1190 Post(s)
Liked: 766
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodge DeBoulet View Post
If you think Bojack Horseman is for kids, you obviously haven't seen it ...
No I haven't and yes that is an exception, since it's not on Netflix's cancellation list. Sorry for the confusion, which lies with my earlier post using the word 'produced' when referring to canceled content.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomo657 View Post
IMO Narcos should be included as well just a continuation in a new country.
Now that's a stretch. I agree, Narcos was never cancelled. It just ran it's course. However, Narcos Mexico is a new production, with new characters. In other words, a spin-off.

You can make all the exceptions you want, but at the end, the list still speaks for it's self. The majority of their own content, lasted 3 seasons or less. I think they're trigger happy. You may not.

Ian

The best way to succeed in life is to act on the advice you give to others

Last edited by mailiang; 02-03-2019 at 09:25 PM.
post #5253 of 5369 Old 02-04-2019, 10:31 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 2866 Post(s)
Liked: 3686
I don't have the numbers, but it seems that, although Amazon is not as prolific as NF on Series shows, Amazon has a similar track record ..

I was kinda forced into "Dumplin" over the weekend, yet, have to toss the tiny bit of machismo I have left and admit I liked it ..

Also ::
"Velvet Buzzsaw" was a nice take on a sorely underutilized format :: "Art Snob Horror" ..
"The Five" was not too bad, either ..

Both the HULU and Netflix docs on "Fyre Festival" were interesting ..
Photokid1970 likes this.

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5254 of 5369 Old 02-17-2019, 07:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 389 Post(s)
Liked: 262
If you're in the mood for a comedy, new arrival "Yucatan" made for an enjoyable Sunday afternoon watch. There is an English dub available for this original Spanish language film.

Dazed and confused over high tech.

Sigh...Concrap. The Internet Overlord Cometh
They're not com-tastic!
post #5255 of 5369 Old 02-18-2019, 08:54 AM

Started "Umbrella Academy" last night .. got thru Episode 4 .. liking it so far ..

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
post #5256 of 5369 Old 02-18-2019, 11:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Post It's official now

Marvels Netflix is done.https://www.engadget.com/2019/02/18/...er/?yptr=yahoo

Ian

post #5257 of 5369 Old 02-18-2019, 01:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Netflix Watch Instantly: Gems and Finds

Quote:
Originally Posted by mailiang View Post

No surprise Disney/Marvel can keep them like I’ve stated before I refuse to pay for a separate service.

"well you know what doctor I'm going to go home take two aspirins and call you a b****"
post #5258 of 5369 Old 02-18-2019, 09:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
No surprise Disney/Marvel can keep them like I’ve stated before I refuse to pay for a separate service.
No need to. Those shows will no longer be produced, with the exception of Jessica Jones, which is in post production, and will enjoy it's last hurrah.

Ian

post #5259 of 5369 Old 02-19-2019, 08:00 AM

Quote:
No need to. Those shows will no longer be produced, with the exception of Jessica Jones, which is in post production, and will enjoy it's last hurrah.

Ian
I suppose it's possible Disney will produce their own versions of these shows at some point ..

While I'll miss the Netflix / Disney material, the comic world has a large wealth of material out there that can be mined .. "Umbrella Academy" was originally a comic series .. Netflix will have no lack of material to draw on and likely at a lower acquisition cost ..

Disney+ may or may not make it as a Streamer .. they certainly have plenty of money .. I would speculate, however, that a HULU / Disney merge may happen sometime in the future ..

I won't be subscribing to Disney+ .. if a free trial is offered, I'll take it, milk it, then cancel ..

"Stay tuned, folks, this week, we are featuring the "Hannah Montana" Marathon Week ..

Uncle Willie

post #5260 of 5369 Old 02-19-2019, 08:17 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post
I won't be subscribing to Disney+ .. if a free trial is offered, I'll take it, milk it, then cancel ..

"Stay tuned, folks, this week, we are featuring the "Hannah Montana" Marathon Week ..
This. After all, there's only so much time to watch during the week - how many services will the average subscriber want? I have two kids, and they like Disney just fine - but they also like Minecraft and Nick Jr. So if I watch Netflix and Hulu during the week, that leaves little time for a new service. It's why I missed out on the new Star Trek series. I wasn't going to pay CBS just to watch one show. I've seen all of them so far - but it turns out that I survived just fine without it.
Brian Conrad likes this.
post #5261 of 5369 Old 02-19-2019, 08:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2214 Post(s)
Liked: 2420
Quote:
.. I would speculate, however, that a HULU / Disney merge may happen sometime in the future ..
No need to speculate, it's happening as part of the Fox merger. When that deal goes through Disney will own 60% of Hulu.
post #5262 of 5369 Old 02-19-2019, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken.F View Post
No need to speculate, it's happening as part of the Fox merger. When that deal goes through Disney will own 60% of Hulu.
Yes, I know .. I'm talking about a Streaming Service merge into one unit ..

Uncle Willie

post #5263 of 5369 Old 02-19-2019, 09:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I suppose it's possible Disney will produce their own versions of these shows at some point ..

Possible yes, probable no. Disney is planing new Marvel shows for Disney+ and will stream content limited to PG13. Those Netflix shows don't exactly fit that bill, and I can't see Disney watering them down or producing them just for Hulu.

Ian

post #5264 of 5369 Old 02-19-2019, 09:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Possible yes, probable no. Disney is planing new Marvel shows for Disney+ and will stream content limited to PG13. Those Netflix shows don't exactly fit that bill, and I can't see Disney watering them down or producing them just for Hulu.

Ian

If I wanted to watch PG13 I would watch the nonsense on the CW (which I would never).

post #5265 of 5369 Old 02-19-2019, 09:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2214 Post(s)
Liked: 2420
Quote:
Yes, I know .. I'm talking about a Streaming Service merge into one unit ..
OK, I misunderstood what you were saying. In that case no, I wouldn't expect them to combine the separate streaming services. They can make a lot more money with separate subscriptions. Making money is something Disney does very well.
post #5266 of 5369 Old 02-19-2019, 10:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
If I wanted to watch PG13 I would watch the nonsense on the CW (which I would never).
Don't tell that to my buddy, actor Kirk Acevedo (The Dragon on The Green Arrow).

Ian

post #5267 of 5369 Old 02-19-2019, 10:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2305 Post(s)
Liked: 1784
Quote:
Started "Umbrella Academy" last night .. got thru Episode 4 .. liking it so far ..
I was a bit unimpressed starting out but episode one got more interesting towards the end so watched more episodes last night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photokid1970 View Post
This. After all, there's only so much time to watch during the week - how many services will the average subscriber want? I have two kids, and they like Disney just fine - but they also like Minecraft and Nick Jr. So if I watch Netflix and Hulu during the week, that leaves little time for a new service. It's why I missed out on the new Star Trek series. I wasn't going to pay CBS just to watch one show. I've seen all of them so far - but it turns out that I survived just fine without it.
Bingo! Back in the 1990s when I worked at a game software company were would note "gold rushes" where everyone would pile on to the latest success with a "me too". And those often would fail. We also had problems with coming up with our own sequels because the original designer wasn't interested and into new ideas.

Shows get canceled because people need to decide between investing in watching a second or third season or something new. I bet most vote "something new".
post #5268 of 5369 Old 02-22-2019, 07:23 AM

Finished off "Umbrella Academy" last night .. I enjoyed it through and through .. NF put some money into it and demonstrated that the Post-Marvel Netflix Super-Hero genre is alive and well .. a nice, semi Steampunk/Gothic feel to the visuals and superb PQ along with an excellent Soundtrack .. two thumbs up ..
Brian Conrad and Keenan like this.

Uncle Willie

post #5269 of 5369 Old 02-22-2019, 08:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Conrad View Post
Shows get canceled because people need to decide between investing in watching a second or third season or something new. I bet most vote "something new".
Most shows get cancelled due to weak viewership from the get go. Quality programing usually holds it's own. There have been great shows which have generated high viewership loyalty, canceled and then bought back by demand. When Sense 8 was tanked, Netflix received enough back lash from fans to produce a special 2 hour finale. High ranking series like Jessica Jones and Daredevil were short lived due to business decisions by the studios, not because viewers were looking for something new.

Ian
gomo657 likes this.

post #5270 of 5369 Old 02-22-2019, 09:04 AM

I can't speak for anyone but myself, but as far as me as a Viewer, I'm always on the scout for something new I might like .. the sheer wealth of programming that's out there these days has made it much easier to dump a mediocre show that 10 years ago I might have stuck with, whereas, these days, I have much more choice on what I spend my valuable viewing time watching ..
Brian Conrad likes this.

Uncle Willie

post #5271 of 5369 Old 02-22-2019, 11:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I can't speak for anyone but myself, but as far as me as a Viewer, I'm always on the scout for something new I might like .. the sheer wealth of programming that's out there these days has made it much easier to dump a mediocre show that 10 years ago I might have stuck with, whereas, these days, I have much more choice on what I spend my valuable viewing time watching ..
Yes, I've seen this opinion elsewhere on AVS Forum as well as on other web sites.

Frankly, I've seen the same problem with sequels in the game industry if you have a hit and that is what to do next in a sequel. Focus groups didn't help much either other than to say they were pretty happy with the current version. The entertainment industry is a crap shoot.
post #5272 of 5369 Old 03-01-2019, 09:59 AM

It's a sad commentary, yet should not come as a surprise .. I've stated for years that's where the Industry would lead, eventually ..

https://www.zdnet.com/article/the-en...09457836368706

Uncle Willie

post #5273 of 5369 Old 03-01-2019, 10:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
It's a sad commentary, yet should not come as a surprise .. I've stated for years that's where the Industry would lead, eventually ..

https://www.zdnet.com/article/the-en...09457836368706

No what I think is sad is that all the “AV” sites have been running the same story all week Sound&Vision has done three to four already.

post #5274 of 5369 Old 03-01-2019, 10:26 AM

Quote:
No what I think is sad is that all the “AV” sites have been running the same story all week Sound&Vision has done three to four already.
Yeah, well, I guess it is news ..

IMO, disks will just continue to evolve into a niche market, much like vinyl .. I don't like it anymore than anyone else, I watched Beta / VHS / Laserdisk all die, because better tech replaced them .. I don't think streaming is better tech, but like the MP3 change, folks buy into that convenience factor .. where they consider it "good enough" ..

Uncle Willie

post #5275 of 5369 Old 03-01-2019, 10:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I wasn't expecting it but last week Redbox expanded it's UHD rentals to my area as well as 8 other areas. Only 2 titles available at the moment but there will be more to come in weeks ahead. Makes my investment in a Sony UHD player worth more than being a dust catcher. Generally I rent at Redbox titles that I know won't be coming any time soon to Netflix or even Hulu.

That said, I do have some problem with the "idea" that UHD discs are far superior to streaming UHD. I think it's in user's minds and bet if I showed some clips from various titles some streamed and some off a disc that users would not be able to tell the difference.
post #5276 of 5369 Old 03-01-2019, 07:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I know I’m late to the party but I really enjoyed Russian Doll side splitting funny, my sick sense of humor laughs at horror flicks and pratfalls. Plus a nice change of pace for Lyonne from her role on OITNB.

post #5277 of 5369 Old 03-05-2019, 04:37 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 469 Post(s)
Liked: 12688
Season 2 of 'Secret City' starts Wednesday (6th).
Brian Conrad and Keenan like this.

Make me grow brainiac fingers, but with more hair!
post #5278 of 5369 Old 03-05-2019, 06:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 330 Post(s)
Liked: 262
Quote:
Originally Posted by PooperScooper View Post
Season 2 of 'Secret City' starts Wednesday (6th).
Good news - thought season 1 was pretty good and look forward to the new season - have added to my watch list.

post #5279 of 5369 Old 03-11-2019, 11:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggsantafe View Post
Good news - thought season 1 was pretty good and look forward to the new season - have added to my watch list.
I binged finished it up on Friday. Great season and well worth the watch.
post #5280 of 5369 Old 03-12-2019, 03:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Netflix waits just one month before it decides whether to cancel a show. https://www.yahoo.com/news/netflix-w...144900579.html

Ian

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Video Download Services & Hardware

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page