Netflix Watch Instantly: Gems and Finds - Page 177 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 590Likes

post #5281 of 5359 Old 03-12-2019, 03:12 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2855 Post(s)
Liked: 3659
Quote:
Originally Posted by mailiang View Post
Netflix waits just one month before it decides whether to cancel a show. https://www.yahoo.com/news/netflix-w...144900579.html

Ian
Now, that's just plain Good Business and I'm sure pertains to NF Produced Content .. if a Season is available in full on Day One and gets little to limited traction in that first Month .. kick it to the curb .. shows should be designed to attract Viewers / New Subscribers within a certain Demographic ..

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5282 of 5359 Old 03-12-2019, 03:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2197 Post(s)
Liked: 2397
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post
.. shows should be designed to attract Viewers / New Subscribers within a certain Demographic ..
Does Netflix care about demographics? They aren't selling commercial time so I would think total viewers is the only number that matters to them.
post #5283 of 5359 Old 03-12-2019, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken.F View Post
Does Netflix care about demographics? They aren't selling commercial time so I would think total viewers is the only number that matters to them.
True .. but I'm sure a certain Demographic is considered as part of a target audience ..
Ken.F likes this.

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5284 of 5359 Old 03-12-2019, 08:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 389 Post(s)
Liked: 262
I have never been a fan of the whole season drop...it simply takes too long to produce all the episodes, and waiting till they're all finished leaves a compressed window to determine whether to renew or not. What happens if viewership spikes months after it's debut? Once a show is cancelled and the cast is freed from their contracts, reviving becomes far more complicated. And you've wasted the initial investment.

And speaking of new additions...Shadow, an 8 episode series from South Africa, following the exploits of former police officer turned PI/merc for hire, who feels no pain after being struck by lightning years earlier. Though that doesn't get exploited much in the 6 eps I watched thus far. I'm liking it, hopefully enough folk will watch in the first 28 days to warrant a 2nd season.
Brian Conrad and mailiang like this.

Dazed and confused over high tech.

Sigh...Concrap. The Internet Overlord Cometh
They're not com-tastic!

Last edited by Westly-C; 03-12-2019 at 08:49 PM.
post #5285 of 5359 Old 03-13-2019, 02:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2282 Post(s)
Liked: 1753
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westly-C View Post
I have never been a fan of the whole season drop...it simply takes too long to produce all the episodes, and waiting till they're all finished leaves a compressed window to determine whether to renew or not. What happens if viewership spikes months after it's debut? Once a show is cancelled and the cast is freed from their contracts, reviving becomes far more complicated. And you've wasted the initial investment.

And speaking of new additions...Shadow, an 8 episode series from South Africa, following the exploits of former police officer turned PI/merc for hire, who feels no pain after being struck by lightning years earlier. Though that doesn't get exploited much in the 6 eps I watched thus far. I'm liking it, hopefully enough folk will watch in the first 28 days to warrant a 2nd season.
I've been watching "Shadow" too. It's 4K though just stereo audio which is fine for me as I have to grab my Yamaha AV receiver remote every time a show with DD+ plays because the receiver is too old to properly catch the ARC handshake so I need to set it manually.

It's an intriguing show however and a standalone not a serial.
post #5286 of 5359 Old 03-13-2019, 08:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1187 Post(s)
Liked: 765
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Conrad View Post
I've been watching "Shadow" too. It's 4K though just stereo audio which is fine for me as I have to grab my Yamaha AV receiver remote every time a show with DD+ plays because the receiver is too old to properly catch the ARC handshake so I need to set it manually.

Doesn't your TV have an optical or digital coax output that passes standard DD? There's little difference in sound quality.

Ian

The best way to succeed in life is to act on the advice you give to others

post #5287 of 5359 Old 03-14-2019, 10:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Doesn't your TV have an optical or digital coax output that passes standard DD? There's little difference in sound quality.

Ian
That output is stereo not DD+. The problem is that the Yamaha RX-V375 was introduced shortly after ARC was released and the implementation a little weak. So I have to use the remote to get DD+.

I just got a 7" Android tablet that has Dolby Atmos. Not sure what value that is on a tablet.
post #5288 of 5359 Old 03-14-2019, 11:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I watched "Triple Frontier" last night and thought it was a pretty good action thriller. Worth a watch.
https://www.netflix.com/title/80192187
mailiang likes this.
post #5289 of 5359 Old 03-14-2019, 11:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
That output is stereo not DD+. The problem is that the Yamaha RX-V375 was introduced shortly after ARC was released and the implementation a little weak. So I have to use the remote to get DD+.

My Panasonic outputs DD from the optical, but only when using the build in apps which include the media and streaming players. I figured your set would be able to do the same.

Quote:
I just got a 7" Android tablet that has Dolby Atmos. Not sure what value that is on a tablet.
My laptop has DD+ and was recently updated with Atmos. You can get the hight effects via headphones. You can test it here. it's pretty cool.

Ian

Last edited by mailiang; 03-14-2019 at 11:53 AM. Reason: Added Video
post #5290 of 5359 Old 03-14-2019, 12:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
My Panasonic outputs DD from the optical, but only when using the build in apps which include the media and streaming players. I figured your set would be able to do the same.
This has been pretty well hashed out over on the TV and Receiver sections here. In most cases for some reason, maybe HDMI licensing you can only get stereo over optical back out of the set. My solution is to get another receiver when my ship comes in. Preferably a Pioneer since they implement audio effects better like for these wide dynamic range audio tracks people are complaining about.
Quote:
My laptop has DD+ and was recently updated with Atmos. You can get the hight effects via headphones. You can test it here. it's pretty cool.
https://youtu.be/91BUM3WhCfo
Ian
Atmos can have an effect even on my 5.1 system. It's about sound placement and I notice it. I won't be watching movies on a 7" tablet though. It's for making sure the game I working on will be accepted on Google Play since they are requiring 64 bit ARM versions too. I watch on 55" 4K screen.
post #5291 of 5359 Old 03-14-2019, 01:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
This has been pretty well hashed out over on the TV and Receiver sections here. In most cases for some reason, maybe HDMI licensing you can only get stereo over optical back out of the set. My solution is to get another receiver when my ship comes in. Preferably a Pioneer since they implement audio effects better like for these wide dynamic range audio tracks people are complaining about.

I believe 'stereo only' applies to 'pass through' not to the build in apps which have 5.1 processing. My Vizio also gets DD and DTS surround from the optical when using the built in media and steaming players, but not from my Roku when it is plugged directly into the Vizio's HDMI input. From Vizio:

Quote:
If your TV doesn't have an HDMI port or HDMI ARC compatibility, or if the HDMI port is in use by another device, optical audio is the next best choice. Optical audio uses fiber optic cables to connect devices and supports 5.1 surround sound audio. Optical audio cables come with the necessary TOSlink connector.
When I dropped my antiquated streaming app on my Panny, I replaced it with a Roku stick which I have plugged directly into my AVR's HDMI video input, otherwise, I wouldn't be able to receive DD audio unless I choose to use the ARC, which I rather not.

Quote:
Atmos can have an effect even on my 5.1 system. It's about sound placement and I notice it. I won't be watching movies on a 7" tablet though. It's for making sure the game I working on will be accepted on Google Play since they are requiring 64 bit ARM versions too. I watch on 55" 4K screen.

I never watch videos on my 15.6 inch laptop. However, I do use Pandora and the Dolby audio EQ works great on my headphones or when I plug my computer into the Logitech stereo system that I use in my home office.

Ian

Last edited by mailiang; 03-14-2019 at 01:29 PM.
post #5292 of 5359 Old 03-14-2019, 02:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 560 Post(s)
Liked: 329
I tried, I tried, but Pine Gap was a snoozer.

Denon x4400h, Samsung LED 1080p TV, B&W 704 mains, two M&K subwoofers, Oppo 103, Roku 2, Darbeevision, etc.
Headphone system: Focal Clear, Sennheiser HD600, AKG K702, Hifiman HE-400i, Marantz HD-DAC1, Denon DVD-3910
post #5293 of 5359 Old 03-14-2019, 02:35 PM

Had a few I finally got around to :: "Gerald's Game" .. Carla Gugino pulled it off (no pun intended) .. "Mascots" .. goofy but pretty funny in spots .. "The Kindergarten Teacher" .. Maggie Gyllenhaal is a great actor, she did a good job ..

Uncle Willie

post #5294 of 5359 Old 03-14-2019, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbarach View Post
I tried, I tried, but Pine Gap was a snoozer.
I made it through Episode 3 and then completely forgot about it .. I guess it did not get any better

Uncle Willie

post #5295 of 5359 Old 03-16-2019, 08:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1243 Post(s)
Liked: 1245
Quote:
I watched "Triple Frontier" last night and thought it was a pretty good action thriller. Worth a watch.
https://www.netflix.com/title/80192187

Yep, pretty intense I thought. Notable cast including Ben Affleck, Oscar Isaac, Charlie Hunnam, Garrett Hedlund and Pedro Pascal.

Title refers to the triple point where the borders of Brazil, Peru, and Colombia meet.

Limited theater release on March 6, 2019 then streaming on Netflix a week later.

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Kindergarten Movies
post #5296 of 5359 Old 03-16-2019, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.G View Post

Yep, pretty intense I thought. Notable cast including Ben Affleck, Oscar Isaac, Charlie Hunnam, Garrett Hedlund and Pedro Pascal.

Title refers to the triple point where the borders of Brazil, Peru, and Colombia meet.

Limited theater release on March 6, 2019 then streaming on Netflix a week later.
Watched last night .. good stuff .. great Surround and PQ as well ..

Uncle Willie

post #5297 of 5359 Old 03-16-2019, 03:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Third Frontier I found boring and with perfunctory, superficial characterizations. It was like the Dirty Half-Dozen plus a heist movie and a bunch of rocks. There are specific plot points where I said, "Oh, come on! You didn't think of that??"

On my system, the dialogue was sometimes muffled or echo-afflicted, plus MUCH softer than the action scenes. Watching the movie required subtitles and Denon's Dynamic Volume (compression) circuit.

Denon x4400h, Samsung LED 1080p TV, B&W 704 mains, two M&K subwoofers, Oppo 103, Roku 2, Darbeevision, etc.
Headphone system: Focal Clear, Sennheiser HD600, AKG K702, Hifiman HE-400i, Marantz HD-DAC1, Denon DVD-3910
post #5298 of 5359 Old 03-17-2019, 02:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbarach View Post
Third Frontier I found boring and with perfunctory, superficial characterizations. It was like the Dirty Half-Dozen plus a heist movie and a bunch of rocks. There are specific plot points where I said, "Oh, come on! You didn't think of that??"

On my system, the dialogue was sometimes muffled or echo-afflicted, plus MUCH softer than the action scenes. Watching the movie required subtitles and Denon's Dynamic Volume (compression) circuit.
I wonder why they mix that wide? Yeah, the dialog almost requires subtitles. Perhaps it was the theatrical mix because they started doing that years ago on dialog to prevent people from talking during the movie.
post #5299 of 5359 Old 03-18-2019, 02:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I wonder why they mix that wide? Yeah, the dialog almost requires subtitles. Perhaps it was the theatrical mix because they started doing that years ago on dialog to prevent people from talking during the movie.
Same problem with the BluRay of BlackKlansman, which we started watching yesterday.

post #5300 of 5359 Old 03-18-2019, 03:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Try a search on "streaming movies audio dynamic range too wide" and you'll get a page full of articles and posts on forums about the problem and they blame using the theatrical mix.
post #5301 of 5359 Old 03-23-2019, 09:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Captain Marvel 's Brie Larson and Samuel L. Jackson Team Up Again in Netflix's Unicorn Store https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/...193711149.html I wonder how Disney feels about that.

Ian

post #5302 of 5359 Old 03-23-2019, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Captain Marvel 's Brie Larson and Samuel L. Jackson Team Up Again in Netflix's Unicorn Store https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/...193711149.html I wonder how Disney feels about that.

Ian
I'd imagine that Disney will be pre-occupied with continued layoff selections ..

Uncle Willie

post #5303 of 5359 Old 03-23-2019, 09:25 AM

OA Part II is now available ..

also, I had never heard of "Hap and Leonard" until it popped up in my Suggested list .. through Season 2 so far, great show, IMO and too bad it was cancelled ..
RobKnapp likes this.

Uncle Willie

post #5304 of 5359 Old 03-23-2019, 01:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 752 Post(s)
Liked: 736
Quote:
OA Part II is now available ..

also, I had never heard of "Hap and Leonard" until it popped up in my Suggested list .. through Season 2 so far, great show, IMO and too bad it was cancelled ..

Hap and Leonard is a great series each season pretty much stands alone. But all three are a fun ride.

"well you know what doctor I'm going to go home take two aspirins and call you a b****"
post #5305 of 5359 Old 03-28-2019, 10:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I'm 3 episodes into "If I Hadn't Met You", a Spanish drama involving alternate universes. Excellent so far.
post #5306 of 5359 Old 03-30-2019, 02:34 PM

"The Highwaymen" as well as "Shaolin Soccer" were worth the watch ..

Finished off "Hap and Leonard", enjoyed every bit of it .. if there is one series NF should pick up, it should be this one ..
gomo657 and Damien Inferno like this.

Uncle Willie

post #5307 of 5359 Old 03-30-2019, 08:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 263 Post(s)
Liked: 96
I agree about Hap and Leonard.
post #5308 of 5359 Old 03-31-2019, 05:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 321 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Just finished "Love Death + Robots". 18-episode anthology series, 8-15 minutes each. Mostly various forms of animation, with some live-action, and some I'm not sure if live or CG. Varies from hilarious (Multiversity), a lesson in physics (Helping Hand), to action, and more.

Need help with your Motorola DVR? Check the Wikibook: How to use a Motorola DVR
post #5309 of 5359 Old 04-04-2019, 11:52 AM

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 87
Quote:
"The Highwaymen" as well as "Shaolin Soccer" were worth the watch ..

Finished off "Hap and Leonard", enjoyed every bit of it .. if there is one series NF should pick up, it should be this one ..
Agree on "The Highwaymen." I watched it last night with pretty low expectations. It exceeded my expectations by a pretty good margin. Well worth the time.
post #5310 of 5359 Old 04-10-2019, 01:08 PM

Stumbled across "The Red Road" .. not the worst thing I've ever watched, but obviously cancelled after the second season without a really adequate wrap-up ..

Uncle Willie

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Video Download Services & Hardware

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page