Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By mailiang

post #1 of 26 Old 01-31-2014, 07:52 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi all. Im new to the forum from UK and wanted to post as this has been bugging me for a while. When i stream netflix on my samsung smart tv (ue40f6500) although PQ is good its nowhere near as sharp as when it plays through my PS3 or Samsung Bluray player. Does anyone know why this is? Do external streamers benefit from a HDMI connection or is it just that the built in samsung app sucks?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 Old 01-31-2014, 03:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1187 Post(s)
Liked: 765
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thefinestmalt View Post

Hi all. Im new to the forum from UK and wanted to post as this has been bugging me for a while. When i stream netflix on my samsung smart tv (ue40f6500) although PQ is good its nowhere near as sharp as when it plays through my PS3 or Samsung Bluray player. Does anyone know why this is? Do external streamers benefit from a HDMI connection or is it just that the built in samsung app sucks?

I have a Panasonic S60 and most Super HD streams look stunning. I would contact Samsung support to see if there is a problem with the set. Also check out the LCD support forum here to see if others have had the same issue with that model.

Ian

The best way to succeed in life is to act on the advice you give to others

post #3 of 26 Old 02-01-2014, 07:33 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the advice. Maybe Im just being picky, quality is usually very good and if I didnt have anything to compare it to I would be more than happy. However having seen it even better on the ps3 it just makes me wonder whats going on.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 26 Old 02-01-2014, 10:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thefinestmalt View Post

Thanks for the advice. Maybe Im just being picky, quality is usually very good and if I didnt have anything to compare it to I would be more than happy. However having seen it even better on the ps3 it just makes me wonder whats going on.

I also have a Roku 2 and a Panasonic BD player hooked up to an AVR that integrates with my TV. All these devices produce similar results. If you can see a noticeable reduction in PQ with your set, I would investigate further, especially since you are getting a better picture from your Samsung BD player.

Ian

post #5 of 26 Old 02-01-2014, 07:06 PM
rlb
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Quoted: 2245 Post(s)
Liked: 1896
My Samsung Netflix app is equal quality to my PS3 and OPPO . On my Samsung, each input is individually calibrated. Have you adjusted the input for your Smart Hub?

Sony XBR75Z9D, Samsung 65F9000 , Yamaha CX-A5200 & Outlaw 770
Samsung K8500, OPPO 103-D, Genie 2 and C61Ks, Roku Ultra, ATV4K, and Harmony Elite
post #6 of 26 Old 02-02-2014, 07:49 AM - Thread Starter

What version of the netflix app are you using?
post #7 of 26 Old 02-04-2014, 06:15 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2844 Post(s)
Liked: 1518
Does your television have this:

Old Common Netflix UI (Click to show)
Netflix1.jpg

or this:

New Common Netflix UI (Click to show)
netflix-screenshot.jpeg

UI? If it's neither it might be using an old "legacy" set of non-adaptive video encodes which only go up to 720p. Try streaming "Example Short 23.976"; if you don't see the burned in bit-rate/resolution information (larger yellow text in this image) that's probably what's going on. If you do see the info, how high does the bit-rate ramp up to? It may be that for whatever reason you're getting higher bit-rate/higher picture quality video encodes on your PS3 than your television.

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"Think of the cable company as a group of terrorist (sic)." -- hookbill
post #8 of 26 Old 02-21-2014, 06:01 AM - Thread Starter

Ive got an issue with the smarthub netflix app in that the color and sharpness settings can be moved they dont actually change the picture. Has anyone else noticed this or have any ideas how to fix it? I contacted samsung support but they were not aware of any issues and couldnt recommend anything.
post #9 of 26 Old 02-21-2014, 07:23 AM
rlb
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Quoted: 2245 Post(s)
Liked: 1896
I haven't tried to change settings on my Samsung F9000 while watching the Netflix app; but I know I can't change settings on the player while watching the OPPO Netflix app. With the OPPO, I must change any of its settings before I start the Netflix app. Then they take effect.

That may be the answer if you are trying to make changes while actually in the app.

Sony XBR75Z9D, Samsung 65F9000 , Yamaha CX-A5200 & Outlaw 770
Samsung K8500, OPPO 103-D, Genie 2 and C61Ks, Roku Ultra, ATV4K, and Harmony Elite
post #10 of 26 Old 02-21-2014, 07:49 AM - Thread Starter

Its strange as the settings are not greyed out and most do work ie backlight, contrast, brightness but if i set colour to 0 in the app it doesnt make any difference. I can go into another app such as bbc iplayer and any changes to colour made there will transfer over to netflix but for sharpness it doesnt. Setting sharpness at 0 or 100 and it looks exactly the same.
post #11 of 26 Old 04-05-2016, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thefinestmalt View Post
Ive got an issue with the smarthub netflix app in that the color and sharpness settings can be moved they dont actually change the picture. Has anyone else noticed this or have any ideas how to fix it? I contacted samsung support but they were not aware of any issues and couldnt recommend anything.
Necro warning. Same issue here, ever figure it out?
post #12 of 26 Old 07-25-2016, 10:07 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Same issue to me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulanic View Post
Necro warning. Same issue here, ever figure it out?

Hello the picture quality on my Samsung smartTV is much inferior than when running the app from the Sony Bluray player, I never realized this before, I thought that's the max quality I could get until I watched bluray then switched to Netflix on the bluray and notice the difference.

I don't want to use the bluray since I don't like the UI, is there any way to fix it on the TV?

regards.
post #13 of 26 Old 07-25-2016, 12:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepepaco1980 View Post
Hello the picture quality on my Samsung smartTV is much inferior than when running the app from the Sony Bluray player, I never realized this before, I thought that's the max quality I could get until I watched bluray then switched to Netflix on the bluray and notice the difference.

I don't want to use the bluray since I don't like the UI, is there any way to fix it on the TV?

regards.
Do what I did. Get a Roku. Their new streaming stick outperforms any TV or BD smart app I've used in recent years.

Ian

post #14 of 26 Old 07-26-2016, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mailiang View Post
Do what I did. Get a Roku. Their new streaming stick outperforms any TV or BD smart app I've used in recent years.

Ian
Samsung SmartTv over compress the video, the same happens to the Wii U, whats the point on streaming 1080p if the stream will be over compressed, colors extremely clipped, etc, I'd rater watch a better quality 720p in that case.

I have been looking for the Roku review's as @mailiang suggested but I could not find any PQ review for any devise. can some one point me to the right direction on this?? ill really appreciate it.
post #15 of 26 Old 07-26-2016, 11:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Samsung SmartTv over compress the video, the same happens to the Wii U, whats the point on streaming 1080p if the stream will be over compressed, colors extremely clipped, etc, I'd rater watch a better quality 720p in that case.

I have been looking for the Roku review's as @mailiang suggested but I could not find any PQ review for any devise. can some one point me to the right direction on this?? ill really appreciate it.
My Roku 3600 stick produces 1080p quality that at times is close to Blu-Ray from my 50+ meg WiFi, without any issues. Just to name a few, Outlander and Power look stunning on Starz Play, as well as the likes of Marco Polo on Netflix. (For Ethernet connections take a look at the Roku 2 or 3) http://www.digitaltrends.com/media-streamer-reviews/roku-streaming-stick

Ian
pepepaco1980 likes this.

post #16 of 26 Old 07-27-2016, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mailiang View Post
My Roku 3600 stick produces 1080p quality that at times is close to Blu-Ray from my 50+ meg WiFi, without any issues. Just to name a few, Outlander and Power look stunning on Starz Play, as well as the likes of Marco Polo on Netflix. (For Ethernet connections take a look at the Roku 2 or 3) http://www.digitaltrends.com/media-streamer-reviews/roku-streaming-stick

Ian
I think i figured it out, when i was testing the bluray player, I was using a vpn that I believe it was streaming at 5800 kbps, the TV even that is shows that is streaming at 1080p I think its capped at 3000 kbps, edge browser that is supposed to support 5800 kbps is also capped at 3000 kbps, everything is capped at 3000 kbps maybe by my ISP, unfortunately I cant test the TV using VPN since shortly after I tested the bluray, its throwing that proxy detection error.

I have my doubs about the Roku reaching beyond 3000 kbps. could you please input that konami code to see whats the max rate you can get?

EDIT: maybe some chapters are capped at 3000 kbps ill try more today.
regards.

Last edited by pepepaco1980; 07-27-2016 at 09:00 AM.
post #17 of 26 Old 07-27-2016, 09:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I think i figured it out, when i was testing the bluray player, I was using a vpn that I believe it was streaming at 5800 kbps, the TV even that is shows that is streaming at 1080p I think its capped at 3000 kbps, edge browser that is supposed to support 5800 kbps is also capped at 3000 kbps, everything is capped at 3000 kbps maybe by my ISP, unfortunately I cant test the TV using VPN since shortly after I tested the bluray, its throwing that proxy detection error.

I have my doubs about the Roku reaching beyond 3000 kbps. could you please input that konami code to see whats the max rate you can get?

regards.
Not using a VPN service. That being said, all my Roku devices reach 5800 kbps according to the Netflix example shorts.

Ian

Last edited by mailiang; 07-27-2016 at 09:07 AM.
post #18 of 26 Old 07-27-2016, 10:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1246 Post(s)
Liked: 1253
Quote:

regards.
You do realize that the Samsung smartTV goes through their Smart Hub DNS servers before accessing Netflix, etc. While this may not be part of your problem it's best to avoid any middle-man. Roku streamers (especially older models) can often be found on sale.

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Kindergarten Movies
post #19 of 26 Old 07-27-2016, 12:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked: 129
Quote:

regards.
Are the TV and bluray hooked up to the network the same way? wireless or hardwired?

Paradigm PW AMP, KEF Q100, Emotiva B1, Rythmik L12
post #20 of 26 Old 07-27-2016, 01:34 PM

Quote:

Which model Roku are you using? If it has the newer common Netflix UI, just hit the "*" key on the Roku remote while playing something and it will tell you what resolution you're currently receiving.

Right now many titles have custom bit rate ladders--they analyze the video and decide what bit rates they'll use on a title-by-title (episode-by-episode in a series) basis. For what you're watching 1080p might be encoded at lower than 3000 Kbps. No way to see that on anything other than a PC, running either in a web browser (preferably IE11 or Edge) or the Windows Netflix app (you'd left-click the video to give it keyboard focus and type CTRL-ALT-SHIFT-S to bring up a table of bit rates; you can see what resolution you get at various bit rates by typing CTRL-ALT-SHIFT-D).

For example, I've been re-watching Alias and the next episode has a 7500 Kbps 1080p encode; the next lowest bit rate is 2750, which I'd guess is also 1080p. The next episode of another series I'm watching (Bones) has high bit rates of 2490- and 4870 Kbps.

Last edited by michaeltscott; 07-27-2016 at 01:45 PM.
post #21 of 26 Old 07-27-2016, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpp8140 View Post
Are the TV and bluray hooked up to the network the same way? wireless or hardwired?
@hpp8140 same wireless network, the only difference is that the bluray was using vpn, because otherwise it would not allow me to watch netflix, in the past, now it doesn't work anymore since the proxy detection error.

TV was set to default movie settings the same for the bluray, also bluray hdmi was renamed to Blu-Ray.

I ill try to find episodes higher than 3000 kbps and the compare all again.

my guess is that the episode I watched in the bluray app was @ 5800 kbps and the one I test on tv was @ 3000 kbps.
that or, the netflix is capped at 3000 kbps for my country and thats why the bluray using vpn looked much better. I suspect that because I was unable to find anything higher than 3000 kbps using Edge browser nor Win10 app.

Ill post the results here.

regards.
post #22 of 26 Old 07-27-2016, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott View Post
Which model Roku are you using? If it has the newer common Netflix UI, just hit the "*" key on the Roku remote while playing something and it will tell you what resolution you're currently receiving.

Right now many titles have custom bit rate ladders--they analyze the video and decide what bit rates they'll use on a title-by-title (episode-by-episode in a series) basis. For what you're watching 1080p might be encoded at lower than 3000 Kbps. No way to see that on anything other than a PC, running either in a web browser (preferably IE11 or Edge) or the Windows Netflix app (you'd left-click the video to give it keyboard focus and type CTRL-ALT-SHIFT-S to bring up a table of bit rates; you can see what resolution you get at various bit rates by typing CTRL-ALT-SHIFT-D).

For example, I've been re-watching Alias and the next episode has a 7500 Kbps 1080p encode; the next lowest bit rate is 2750, which I'd guess is also 1080p. The next episode of another series I'm watching (Bones) has high bit rates of 2490- and 4870 Kbps.
I dont have Roku yet, Ill get a new one after I figure out if the netflix is capped or not in Mexico, if its not, then ill buy it as im pretty sure it will looks much better than my TV. but, if its capped there is no point to get it as it will have the same issues as the TV app.
thanks.
post #23 of 26 Old 07-27-2016, 02:45 PM

Quote:
I dont have Roku yet, Ill get a new one after I figure out if the netflix is capped or not in Mexico, if its not, then ill buy it as im pretty sure it will looks much better than my TV. but, if its capped there is no point to get it as it will have the same issues as the TV app.
thanks.

In the past I've used "VPN" services which can spoof being located in other countries to give you access to the Netflix libraries of those countries. Netflix has been cracking down on that so I don't anymore, but I didn't think that there was any difference in the available video encodes; many regions had 4K titles (whose minimum bit rates are 8000 Kbps). Of course, that may have changed in recent times.

post #24 of 26 Old 07-27-2016, 03:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked: 129
Quote:
@hpp8140 same wireless network, the only difference is that the bluray was using vpn, because otherwise it would not allow me to watch netflix, in the past, now it doesn't work anymore since the proxy detection error.

TV was set to default movie settings the same for the bluray, also bluray hdmi was renamed to Blu-Ray.

I ill try to find episodes higher than 3000 kbps and the compare all again.

my guess is that the episode I watched in the bluray app was @ 5800 kbps and the one I test on tv was @ 3000 kbps.
that or, the netflix is capped at 3000 kbps for my country and thats why the bluray using vpn looked much better. I suspect that because I was unable to find anything higher than 3000 kbps using Edge browser nor Win10 app.

Ill post the results here.

regards.
Well, looks like working your way through the issues, but yeah, wireless hardware differ in the devices....not to mention installation/space inside. Some TV's have been known to have weak WiFi. Hardwired is the best way to test and eliminate this as a possible bottleneck.

Paradigm PW AMP, KEF Q100, Emotiva B1, Rythmik L12

Last edited by hpp8140; 07-27-2016 at 03:38 PM.
post #25 of 26 Old 07-27-2016, 08:20 PM

I have tested Edge browser, the smart tv, and the wii u, the results are, in the last place the wii u since it drops constantly to 720p, second place is the smart tv, since its impossible to get a better picture no matter what settings I choose, the image is blurry and colors are washed out, and in first place the browser, I forced 6810 kbps and renamed the input as if it was BluRay, the image is much clear and colors more vivid than the same settings used by the native app.

when setting the input as PC the image looks much similar to the native app. it seems that when the TV input is renamed to Blu ray it does something different to the picture, and thats why the Sony bluray looked much better the other day.

I guess that I could buy the Roku stick and name the input as bluray it should look much better, confirmed. thank you All!
post #26 of 26 Old 07-28-2016, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott View Post
In the past I've used "VPN" services which can spoof being located in other countries to give you access to the Netflix libraries of those countries. Netflix has been cracking down on that so I don't anymore, but I didn't think that there was any difference in the available video encodes; many regions had 4K titles (whose minimum bit rates are 8000 Kbps). Of course, that may have changed in recent times.
I managed to find some super hd episodes, is just that some are capped at 3000 kbps in the same season but not all, what i know its capped by country is the devices that are not listed as Official streaming devices, those are limited to lower bandwidth, but you are right, for the official ones the speeds should be the same doesn't matter what country you are.
thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Video Download Services & Hardware

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page