Netflix Dolby Digital Plus 5.1 Bitrate? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 04-06-2014, 01:18 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Timothy91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 1,101
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Hey,

Cannot find a thread here about it and my research is not coming back with anything concrete so far.

Does anyone know what the bitrate (or bitrates) Netflix is using for Dolby Digital Plus? The sound quality seems to lack a little on dynamic range, ie, impacts, etc and sounds a bit sharp on the high frequencies and lacking fullness on the midrange during "busy" moments (however speech from the center channel seems to always be very good). This usually means a reduced bitrate is employed, but how low do they go?
Timothy91 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 8 Old 04-06-2014, 08:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
tenthplanet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: North of Mexico, South of Oregon, West of desert
Posts: 6,168
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2145 Post(s)
Liked: 3239
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy91 View Post

Hey,

Cannot find a thread here about it and my research is not coming back with anything concrete so far.

Does anyone know what the bitrate (or bitrates) Netflix is using for Dolby Digital Plus? The sound quality seems to lack a little on dynamic range, ie, impacts, etc and sounds a bit sharp on the high frequencies and lacking fullness on the midrange during "busy" moments (however speech from the center channel seems to always be very good). This usually means a reduced bitrate is employed, but how low do they go?
I can't find anything specific either, but here is a little info from Dolby on what range is capable in the process. My guess would be for streaming it's towards the lower end of the scale of bit rates.

Dolby Digital Plus can scale from 32 kbps all the way up to 6 Mbps.
A typical range for Dolby Digital Plus on high-definition optical discs
is 768 kbps to 1.5 Mbps.

"Espresso is like tequila, when in doubt apply more shots."
tenthplanet is offline  
post #3 of 8 Old 04-07-2014, 03:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
MovieSwede's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Gothenburg
Posts: 6,948
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by tenthplanet View Post

I can't find anything specific either, but here is a little info from Dolby on what range is capable in the process. My guess would be for streaming it's towards the lower end of the scale of bit rates.

Dolby Digital Plus can scale from 32 kbps all the way up to 6 Mbps.
A typical range for Dolby Digital Plus on high-definition optical discs
is 768 kbps to 1.5 Mbps.

It wouldnt need more then 640, and I doubt its even that high.
MovieSwede is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 8 Old 04-08-2014, 04:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
tenthplanet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: North of Mexico, South of Oregon, West of desert
Posts: 6,168
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2145 Post(s)
Liked: 3239
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovieSwede View Post

It wouldnt need more then 640, and I doubt its even that high.
640 is what reg dolby digital can be when converting down from dolby digital plus which is higher than DVD which is around 385. So in theory you would need less than 640 with DD plus being it's using a more effective compression.

"Espresso is like tequila, when in doubt apply more shots."
tenthplanet is offline  
post #5 of 8 Old 04-11-2014, 12:08 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
michaeltscott's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: San Diego, CA, USA
Posts: 20,517
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2844 Post(s)
Liked: 1518
It's 192 Kbps DD Plus. It was 384 Kbps, then Dolby declared that their new encoding tech was twice as efficient as before and Netflix halved their encoding rate.

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"Think of the cable company as a group of terrorist (sic)." -- hookbill
michaeltscott is offline  
post #6 of 8 Old 04-11-2014, 12:34 AM
 
lovinthehd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: OROR
Posts: 16,231
Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4588 Post(s)
Liked: 4796
lovinthehd is offline  
post #7 of 8 Old 04-11-2014, 01:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
undecided's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 1,570
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinthehd View Post

You might want to check this out https://www.avsforum.com/t/1492916/dolby-digital-plus-and-netflix-on-various-avrs


The last few posts have some comments about why the Apple TV doesn't do DD+

While I can't answer that it doesn't really matter.

The Netflix Apple TV DD 5.1 at 384 kbps sounds identical to DD+ 5.1 192 kbps on other devices.

Now should the audio bit rate on Netflix be little higher - probably - but those looking for DD+ too light up and expecting better audio will be disappointed...
undecided is offline  
post #8 of 8 Old 04-11-2014, 04:00 AM
 
lovinthehd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: OROR
Posts: 16,231
Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4588 Post(s)
Liked: 4796
Wasn't thinking about the apple thingie, and haven't checked the thread lately either, but rather if his avr was affected.....
lovinthehd is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Video Download Services & Hardware

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off