More things expire from Netflix Instant than Amazon Prime Instant. - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Westly-C

post #1 of 10 Old 01-13-2015, 11:25 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 647 Post(s)
Liked: 128
Netflix Instant and Amazon Prime Instant things expiring.

I am getting really peeved off at Netflix. It seem that every day I check my list at least once a week something is expiring. I have no movies in my list otherwise stuff will be expiring more. But I also have a list on Amazon Prime Instant since I got my Fire TV in April and so far not a single thing went away on there but Netflix since then I removed many items and about 99% of what I removed went away and still never came back. Now many of the BBC programs are going away next month thank goodness that Amazon Prime still has them so I am watching them on there.

Already today I check my list and see that annoying red "Until" date. My list is now down from over a 100 to now 65 items. It seems that Netflix no longer cares about licensing new content and rather create more original content most that I can't watch. I am already running out of things to watch on Netflix and I am afraid to start watching something I start then I see that "Until" date. I have been watching more on Prime lately anyway.

Update: I just saw something in my list on Amazon Instant expire in 24 days. Still the first time since April.

Charter Spectrum.
My Router: Netgear R7000 - Advanced Tomato
3.5-140 K26ARM USB VPN-64K.
My Primary Streaming Device: Apple TV 4K (2017).
Cats are the best pets.

Last edited by reddice; 01-18-2015 at 11:42 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 01-13-2015, 11:46 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Wow Netflix really does not care about renewing contracts.
http://www.cinemablend.com/televisio...lix-69424.html
http://decider.com/2015/01/13/bbc-sh...aving-netflix/
http://patch.com/connecticut/newcana...early-february
Notice the third link butchering mostly kids programs. Already last month some good kids programs went away. Now more next month. I guess they rather care about there puny 5 episodes of King Julian which can't compare to the programs they are removing.

Charter Spectrum.
Cats are the best pets.
post #3 of 10 Old 01-13-2015, 12:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2461 Post(s)
Liked: 2113
Netflix has a lot more content than Amazon. It could also be that as a title nears the end of it's license that Amazon sends an email to the licensee that it's about to expire and Netflix doesn't. That's why something might expire on Netflix then a month or two later it's back. Someone at the licensee's office didn't put a reminder on the computer that it was going to expire.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 01-13-2015, 04:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 420 Post(s)
Liked: 281
Sigh. This is not a new phenomenon.

Netflix, for years, allowed 3rd party owned sites, access to their API database, permitting those sites to list monthly upcoming as well as expiring titles-sometimes as far as 3 months ahead of time. It was an invaluable resource.
Instantwatcher.com and feedfliks.com's expiring section regularly featured on average, 100-150 titles that were due to expire EACH month. As Netflix' popularity exploded, competitors and enemies rose. Netflix' rivals were allegedly (inferred by feedflik's founder upon NF's retreat from providing detailed comings and goings info several years ago), using these sites, to check on what was due to expire and outbid NF for content. Or, surreptitiously, jack up the price that Netflix would have to pay to renew... I wouldn't put that past them..,

And here we are today. Just because Netflix no longer permits such early expire notice for titles, does not mean that what content gets removed, is not replaced with other material. Each month an average of 100 titles are removed. And guess what? Over 100 titles are added throughout each month as well. Same as last month. And the month before that. And the month before that. And the year before that. And the year before that....

For over 6 freaking years this has gone on.

Each and every freaking month...

I understand completely being upset that a favorite show that sat around in our queue for years unwatched, suddenly having the dreaded ''Available Until...'' mark beside it. I too, have 6 BBC shows sitting in my queue, that I've dragged by feet on viewing. But the interwebs just needs to calm down and stop launching into tirades because a contract to stream the show comes to an end. (**This isn't directed at you reddice, it's just that I've been tripping over countless blogposts and articles treating this as some sort of apocalypse...again. it's getting tiresome). Legitimate news sources don't seem interested in actually stating the reasons behind expirations, choosing instead to mimic the blogophere's hyperbolic screechings ''Netflix dropping over a gazillion titles at month's end''.

Many of those BBC shows-including Doctor Who, have gone and come from Netflix streaming multiple times over the last 6 years. And the bit about Amazon never losing content is also incorrect. No title is sold to any pay tv, network, cable channel, tv station, or even pay per view service , on an indefinite basis. Amazon has indeed, rotated content on and off their Prime service. They in fact, purchase the same package of movies from the Epix Pay tv channel that Netflix has. And those titles are swapped in and out just as they are for Netflix, and on Epix itself. Because Amazon has never provided detailed data on it's catalog's scheduling, nobody pays attention to what expires or leaves there.

As Brian points out, Netflix has far more content than Amazon does. And Amazon Prime has a far smaller viewer base. It's likely that as streaming service grow in use, the content owners see value in pitting one against the other, in order to drive up the price for shows and library titles that weren't generating huge sales through regular deals with cable channels, who move on to acquiring more recent off network fare plus theatricals, and, yes, producing their own original programs.
gomo657 likes this.

Dazed and confused over high tech.

Sigh...Concrap. The Internet Overlord Cometh
They're not com-tastic!
post #5 of 10 Old 01-13-2015, 04:55 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Over 100 titles are added throughout each month as well.
What movies I never heard of before. Yuck. Add Smallville and we can talk.
Quote:
Although losing its BBC content would be bad for Netflix, the streaming service is leaning more toward original content these days with several new shows premiering in 2015, including “Daredevil” and “Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt.” Season 3 of the U.S. version of “House of Cards” and Netflix’s popular prison dramedy “Orange is the New Black” are set to return in 2015 as well. Kevin Spacey recently took home a Golden Globe for his portrayal of Frank Underwood on the drama.
As I said I have no interest in there originals as they are all sex and profanity laced junk. Daredevil I have no interest as I love the Marvel movies and TV series but I wont watch a MA rated version of a Mavel show just because they can. Marvel was always PG, PG-13.

Now I know I am going to get flamed for this I have nothing against the originals Netflix adds. I won't and can't watch them as I get offended easily with R and MA rated content.

If people watch them then fine for them but Netflix now thinks "we don't care about renewing contracts anymore and rather make our own programs" then I have much against it especially since they can't renew contracts on what I like to watch and won't bother getting content for more classic TV shows and cult shows like Smallville. As I say I am running out of things to watch that is still here. I finished Alias and Lost. Now except for Charmed which I am afraid might go away I am almost finished with Season 6. I am now watching Psych which should be safe for now as they just added the last season.

Quote:
No title is sold to any pay tv, network, cable channel, tv station, or even pay per view service , on an indefinite basis. Amazon has indeed, rotated content on and off their Prime service. They in fact, purchase the same package of movies from the Epix Pay tv channel that Netflix has.
If you mention movies then yes I seen them show up expiring from my Watchlist on Amazon a few times even Netflix which is why I rather buy my movies. Of course you can blame HBO and Starz for that as soon as a movie goes away on Prime or Netflix the next day or two it shows up on HBO or Starz.

What I am saying is TV series I only seen one other series have a expiration date on my Watchlist and the date went away and the TV show stayed. With Netflix when I see the "Until" date 98% of the time it is gone after that date never to return. Maybe 1% that the date went away which happened just once and 1% that it went away to come back 2 days later just once.

Charter Spectrum.
Cats are the best pets.

Last edited by reddice; 01-14-2015 at 11:53 AM.
post #6 of 10 Old 01-14-2015, 11:52 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
http://news.nationalpost.com/2015/01...fer-streaming/
But as with all visual media that comes with a set-in-stone release date, so, too, does Friends’ tenure on Netflix have an expiration. In fact, everything that streams on Netflix, from movies to TV shows to comedy specials (the exclusion being Netflix’s own, in-house programming, like Orange Is the New Black or House of Cards) gets pulled offline after a seemingly random tenure — and this is Neftlix’s kind of secret, definitely killer strategy.
Quote:
http://www.valuewalk.com/2015/01/net...expiring-fans/
Netflix focuses on original content
With the contract expiring, Netflix will be at risk of losing popular BBC shows, but the streaming service is now more focused on original content, and many new shows are lined up to premier in 2015, including Daredevil and Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt. The third season of the popular show House of Cards is also in line, along with the third season of Netflix’s loved dramedy Orange is the New Black.
The streaming service is investing millions of dollars into original content, attracting applause as well as criticism from investors and analysts. Netflix is planning not just one or two but over 30 original shows in the next couple of years
, which will put pressure on margins but is also a necessity for the company to survive, according to Trefis.
Quote:
BTW. http://whatsonnetflixnow.blogspot.co...ring-soon.html
February 3
Phineas and Ferb (2007-2011)
Scrubs (2001-2009)
Secret Life of the American Teenager (2008-2012)
If this trend continues which it looks like it is I won't be a subscriber anymore as there won't be anything I can actually watch on Netflix.

Charter Spectrum.
Cats are the best pets.
post #7 of 10 Old 01-16-2015, 05:18 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

https://news.google.com/news/rtc?ncl...tTM&authuser=0
Man Netflix is really sucking at contracts. What annoyed me was that Kajuro went away when I was almost half way though. The articles did mention the Netflix contract with Disney but that is a bunch of bull as they dropped Wizards, Suite Life, Shake it Up and many more. They are dropping Phineas and Ferb and even Lab Rats is going away on Feb 12th. I guess the puny original kids program they have would be enough to entertain the kiddies. NOT.

The good news is that if Amazon is smart and grab the Hasbro content as it seems that Amazon cares more about kids programing I would not mind. It was better when Amazon got the Nickelodeon content as they have way more than Netflix had.

Update: Good News some of the real popular BBC programs like Doctor Who are not going away. Heck there were riots over this so I am glad Netflix at least opened up there wallet to renew the contracts. Lets hope it is not just for a month then the Until date shows up again.

Charter Spectrum.
Cats are the best pets.

Last edited by reddice; 01-16-2015 at 05:30 PM.
post #8 of 10 Old 01-16-2015, 08:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 420 Post(s)
Liked: 281
Netflix is not sucking with it's contracts.

Dazed and confused over high tech.

Sigh...Concrap. The Internet Overlord Cometh
They're not com-tastic!
post #9 of 10 Old 01-18-2015, 11:31 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mods you can change the name of the title I can't it looks like crap expires from Amazon Prime just as bad as Netflix.

Now it's Amazon's turn. Looks like many of the BBC series will be expiring form Prime in 28 days. Lets see if they go away.

So far this past week my list (Netflix) and watch-list (Amazon) has been butchered with expiration dates. It has been really bad and I am getting peeved off at these stupid contracts. The same crap you get when cable and satellite TV decide to drop channels because they are too cheap to renew the contracts. I even bought one show that I loved that is going way on Prime in about 2 weeks on DVD's ordered from Amazon that I WILL OWN FOREVER and can watch at my leaser that will be there tomorrow.

I really hope that streaming media does not replace optical media as that will really suck.

Charter Spectrum.
Cats are the best pets.

Last edited by reddice; 01-18-2015 at 11:37 AM.
post #10 of 10 Old 01-27-2015, 01:22 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

More Disney stuff going away now Kickin It on 2/16 besides Lab Rats on 2/12 so I guess there so called tight Disney deal is a bunch of bull.

Charter Spectrum.
Cats are the best pets.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Video Download Services & Hardware

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page