Upgrading HDX movies purchased on VUDU to UHD using Apple TV? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 12-11-2017, 11:34 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Upgrading HDX movies purchased on VUDU to UHD using Apple TV?

For the past several years I have used VUDU as my go to source to redeem UV copies of movies and/or purchasing cloud based movies. I recently got the new 4K Apple TV. There seems to be some 4K UHD content there that isn't available on VUDU. I understand the policy for "free 4K upgrades" on iTunes. I know that HDX movies I purchased via VUDU will not automatically upgrade to 4K UHD for free. However, what if I am willing to pay for the upgrade through iTunes? For example, the original "Ghostbusters" or Coppola's "Dracula" are available in 4K Dolbyvision on Apple TV. I own the HDX copies I got through Vudu. Yet, I see no ability to purchase an upgrade via iTunes and Apple TV. Anybody know if this is possible?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 12-11-2017, 06:04 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 22
I recently got an Apply TV 4K as well. I think your option is just to buy the 4K version on iTunes - I don't think there is such a thing as an upgrade really.

What I have been doing is buying codes and then redeeming them on iTunes as much as I can. If you go here you can see the best method to get 4K on iTunes:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...tmh4/htmlview#

Not sure that helps you much, but that is the best I figure out so far!
post #3 of 4 Old 12-12-2017, 11:56 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichGoBlue View Post
I recently got an Apply TV 4K as well. I think your option is just to buy the 4K version on iTunes - I don't think there is such a thing as an upgrade really.

What I have been doing is buying codes and then redeeming them on iTunes as much as I can. If you go here you can see the best method to get 4K on iTunes:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...tmh4/htmlview#

Not sure that helps you much, but that is the best I figure out so far!
Yeah, had I known the way things were going I would have redeemed more of those UV codes through Apple iTunes. There are many HDX Vudu titles I can upgrade to UHD, but the charge is usually $15.00. I was able to get "Silence of the Lambs" upgraded to UHD for $5 a few weeks ago during a sale. However, there seems no "upgrade" option on Apple TV via iTunes. Maybe Vudu would have a "UHD Upgrade Sale". That may be helpful.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 03-28-2019, 06:20 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Has any of this been better worked out? I have a couple UHD movies I bought that I have UHD codes for but already had the HDX version, seems like a waste to put in the code for the UHD when its already HD. Was hoping there was a way to trade the HD digital copy with the movie for something else and then redeem the UHD?

Budget 9.2 setup Samsung 65" Plasma, Denon AVR-X4300H, KEF KHT3005BL 7.1, KEF Q-300, BIC America Formula F-12
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Video Download Services & Hardware

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page