Streaming Services Deathwatch - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 18 Old 10-28-2018, 03:20 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2260 Post(s)
Liked: 3542
Streaming Services Deathwatch

Streaming services deathwatch..Studies have shown most people won't carry more than three streaming services. Filmstruck is going to fold. Whose next ? This is not trolling. Right now it's ISP's are the only one making any money. What is your gut feeling, a shakeout has been predicted for awhile.

"Espresso is like tequila, when in doubt apply more shots."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 10-28-2018, 09:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Liked: 263
IMHO, these small niche services needs to be an Amazon channel. The Amazon app is probably on most streaming devices and would make billing easier.
post #3 of 18 Old 10-28-2018, 09:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1356 Post(s)
Liked: 1878
Comparison of video streaming aggregators

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compar...ng_aggregators

Although this is a list of aggregators it also lists the streaming services, of which there are quite a few.

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Kindergarten Movies
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 Old 10-28-2018, 10:50 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 157
We have Netflix and Amazon Prime. I'd suspect that Hulu is pretty popular...and I expect YouTube will make the cut.

Shane
“The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it.” ― George Orwell
- The Unemployment Basement Project -
post #5 of 18 Old 10-28-2018, 01:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2416 Post(s)
Liked: 2046
Seems there is also a trend for ad supported services probably because there are a number of people who don't have the money to pay for a monthly ad free subscription. Done right they can be quite palatable. I just added Tubi because they have some movies that my paid subs don't have. They actually warn you that an ad break is about to appear so I can grab the remote and hit the mute button.

Netflix is learning the entertainment business the hard way. It was one thing to rent discs and stream third party content but producing it is a "crap shoot" which is what the owners of Hulu already knew.
post #6 of 18 Old 10-28-2018, 04:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1196 Post(s)
Liked: 773
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Conrad View Post
Netflix is learning the entertainment business the hard way. It was one thing to rent discs and stream third party content but producing it is a "crap shoot" which is what the owners of Hulu already knew.
I disagree. You could have said that about HBO at one time too. Netflix is following a similar business plan, but I concur, it does include more risk. However taking risks continues to be the formula for Netflix's success.https://qz.com/1245933/twenty-years-...been-the-same/

Ian

The best way to succeed in life is to act on the advice you give to others

post #7 of 18 Old 10-28-2018, 06:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 829 Post(s)
Liked: 830
Quote:
Originally Posted by tenthplanet View Post
Streaming services deathwatch..Studies have shown most people won't carry more than three streaming services. Filmstruck is going to fold. Whose next ? This is not trolling. Right now it's ISP's are the only one making any money. What is your gut feeling, a shakeout has been predicted for awhile.

Filmstruck was doomed from the start limited catalog plus the TCM app carries the same programming. Also IMO the Criterion user isn’t a streaming customer.

"well you know what doctor I'm going to go home take two aspirins and call you a b****"
post #8 of 18 Old 10-29-2018, 11:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2416 Post(s)
Liked: 2046
Quote:
Originally Posted by mailiang View Post
I disagree. You could have said that about HBO at one time too. Netflix is following a similar business plan, but I concur, it does include more risk. However taking risks continues to be the formula for Netflix's success.https://qz.com/1245933/twenty-years-...been-the-same/

Ian
HBO only owns 10% of Hulu. HBO needed to get into content early on whereas as Netflix was just another retailer but renting DVDs online while the mom and pops nor even Blockbuster knew what to do with the new medium. I was an early Netflix subscriber until one of the bigger m&p shops got DVDs and a wide range of them. I re-subscribed in 2010 when rental shops started disappearing.
post #9 of 18 Old 10-29-2018, 04:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1196 Post(s)
Liked: 773
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Conrad View Post
HBO only owns 10% of Hulu. HBO needed to get into content early on whereas as Netflix was just another retailer but renting DVDs online while the mom and pops nor even Blockbuster knew what to do with the new medium. I was an early Netflix subscriber until one of the bigger m&p shops got DVDs and a wide range of them. I re-subscribed in 2010 when rental shops started disappearing.
Reward rarely comes without risk.

Ian

The best way to succeed in life is to act on the advice you give to others

post #10 of 18 Old 03-12-2019, 02:51 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 2
I agree that services like filmstruck should be Amazon channels. No-one wants to pay for a lot of independent services, worry about device support, etc. Utilizing something like Amazon video for the delivery and subscription simplifies this a lot!
post #11 of 18 Old 03-12-2019, 03:17 PM

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 65
My content subs

I have Netflix 4K and Amazon Prime w/ History vault add on , CBS all Access , Hulu w/HBO add on and free You Tube etc. along with Samsung Smart hub & Sony Android free stuff and a Roku

Samsung 55KS8000 ,Samsung 55MU6300 . Sony 55X850C ,LG 42LB5400 ,Roku 2
Sony ES 7.1HT AVR modest 5.1 surround with Elac B6 fronts w/other impedance and sensitivity matched surrounds , center and powered sub that work well for what it is.
post #12 of 18 Old 03-14-2019, 03:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by frank xbe View Post
I have Netflix 4K and Amazon Prime w/ History vault add on , CBS all Access , Hulu w/HBO add on and free You Tube etc. along with Samsung Smart hub & Sony Android free stuff and a Roku
I cut the cord with DirecTVNow (really just for sports and news) with free HBO because I am a wireless customer as well- add to that Netflix, plus Hulu and Amazon and I cannot possibly watch all the content unless I retire tomorrow and get a job writing streaming TV reviews. I really believe that most of the year (except for football season), I could just watch Netflix, Amazon (because of Prime shipping) and the tons of movies I own on disc (plus the fact I D2D'd them all on Vudu).

Living the HT Dream in 4D.
4K HDR Cinema 106"@9ft w/5.4.2 Object Surround Sound and 6 Aura Bass Shakers
post #13 of 18 Old 04-07-2019, 03:42 PM

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Let me know if I am in the wrong area. But I just signed up for Vudu mainly for 4K and BR content (physical disc and digital streaming flexibility). The problem is it still wants me to sign up for ultraviolet to do disc conversion while telling me that service is shutting down. Then it wants me to buy movies through movies anywhere to redeam codes. This is more complicated than it needs to be. Is my best option to go buy UHD movies I want (physical disc) and pay a premium on Amazon or elsewhere? What would you guys do? Thank you.
post #14 of 18 Old 04-08-2019, 11:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by home4sale2 View Post
Let me know if I am in the wrong area. But I just signed up for Vudu mainly for 4K and BR content (physical disc and digital streaming flexibility). The problem is it still wants me to sign up for ultraviolet to do disc conversion while telling me that service is shutting down. Then it wants me to buy movies through movies anywhere to redeem codes. This is more complicated than it needs to be. Is my best option to go buy UHD movies I want (physical disc) and pay a premium on Amazon or elsewhere? What would you guys do? Thank you.
It can be confusing. Movies Anywhere does not sell movies, it only provides links to vendors like VUDU, Google Play, iTunes, Amazon, etc.

There are many AVS Forum members who will only buy movies on physical media like Blu-rays and DVD's. If you want the very best picture and sound quality UHD Blu-ray is the way to go. That said I have over a thousand titles on VUDU and find their streaming quality to be excellent even though the picture and audio are compressed and not lossless. Over 800 of these titles have ported over to Movies Anywhere, iTunes, Google Play, Amazon and FandangoNow. Hold out studios like Paramount and Lionsgate do not belong to MA.

Streaming movies is about convenience. The biggest selling point for me is library sharing with family members. At this time I share my collection on VUDU (this may change when UV closes), Google Play and iTunes.

Video streaming is undergoing a large shift as companies jockey for position. As you said UltraViolet is shutting down July 31, 2019 but it is still active for disc conversions, in fact I have been converting as many of my old DVD and Blu-ray titles as I can using the VUDU app before UV closes.

If you want the best of both worlds buy the Blu-ray it will most likely come with a digital redemption code.

post #15 of 18 Old 04-08-2019, 05:16 PM

Thanks MrG, if you're looking for a long lost family member, I'm it. A few more questions and thank you for your reply.

First of all, do you use a Vudu account or link the Walmart account? Does it make a difference?
As a first step then, I buy a movie through Vudu (say 4K) which gives me digital access rights (in essence streaming, sort of like Netflix). I imagine I can use a VUDU app or PC or whatever to access this movie anywhere with my credentials. Because it adds the library to "Movies anywhere", I can then align "Movies Anywhere" to Vudu (already done) or other services like iTunes, Google Play? Do they show up everywhere and then I can choose an "app" of my choice?

I am worried to put all my eggs in Vudu basket I guess based on the fact these services will come and go.

To take this further, then, if I wanted to, I can also purchase (for additional $) a physical disc or buy the physical disk + digital from the start.

This is what confused me when I hit the redeem button on Vudu: "Buy a Blu-ray or DVD with Movies Anywhere or UltraViolet and get a digital copy to watch anytime, anywhere." I don't see an advantage in that except I would use Ultraviolet (till July anyway) to transfer my existing DVDs for an upcharge to earn the right to stream to my device. The advantage being I don't have to repurchase these titles and only spend a few dollars to actually use my beautiful projector to its capability versus upconverting an old dvd using my blu ray player's ability.

Do I have all this right?
post #16 of 18 Old 04-09-2019, 10:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by home4sale2 View Post
Thanks MrG, if you're looking for a long lost family member, I'm it. A few more questions and thank you for your reply.

Quote:
First of all, do you use a Vudu account or link the Walmart account? Does it make a difference?
I use a VUDU account. I don't have a Walmart account so I can't help you there.

Quote:
As a first step then, I buy a movie through Vudu (say 4K) which gives me digital access rights (in essence streaming, sort of like Netflix).
Yes.

Quote:
I imagine I can use a VUDU app or PC or whatever to access this movie anywhere with my credentials.
You should really invest in a quality streamer if you're going this route. I use the Apple TV 4K, Roku Premiere+, Fire TV 4K and Chromecast Ultra. Of these I probably use the Apple TV 4K the most followed by the Roku Premiere+. The others I got on sale since I'm kind of a gadgets nut.

Quote:
Because it adds the library to "Movies anywhere", I can then align "Movies Anywhere" to Vudu (already done) or other services like iTunes, Google Play? Do they show up everywhere and then I can choose an "app" of my choice?
As I mentioned earlier studios like Paramount and Lionsgate do not belong to MA so those movies will not port over - at least not yet. There are also some smaller independent studios like A24 that will not port from one vendor to another. So you won't find a film like Lady Bird on MA. In this case I would buy the film on Google Play and add it to my Family Library. So there are a lot of things to consider when purchasing a film.

Quote:
I am worried to put all my eggs in Vudu basket I guess based on the fact these services will come and go.
True, there are no guarantees but VUDU belongs to Walmart and I don't think it's going anywhere anytime soon.

Quote:
To take this further, then, if I wanted to, I can also purchase (for additional $) a physical disc or buy the physical disk + digital from the start.
Yep. I have done this when VUDU is selling the UHD Blu-ray at a decent price. You get immediate access to the digital stream and the Blu-ray is mailed to you at release date.

Quote:
This is what confused me when I hit the redeem button on Vudu: "Buy a Blu-ray or DVD with Movies Anywhere or UltraViolet and get a digital copy to watch anytime, anywhere." I don't see an advantage in that except I would use Ultraviolet (till July anyway) to transfer my existing DVDs for an upcharge to earn the right to stream to my device. The advantage being I don't have to repurchase these titles and only spend a few dollars to actually use my beautiful projector to its capability versus upconverting an old dvd using my blu ray player's ability.
There is a lot jammed into this paragraph. If you buy a recent Blu-ray release it usually comes with a digital code that you can redeem at MA, VUDU, Google Play, iTunes or at the studio website - whatever the included instructions say. Usually if you want to buy a movie to own on VUDU you select either SD, HDX or UHD or Disc + Digital. To be sure that the movie you interested in buying is going to port over to the other vendors check it out on the MA website. MA will list all the vendors where you can buy the movie.

To convert DVD's and older Blu-rays (without digital codes) I use the app on my phone, previously I used the app on either my Mac or Windows computer. The charge to convert to HDX is $2 for Blu-rays and $5 for DVD's.

I assume you're referring to the BenQ HT3550 which is a very nice DLP projector.

post #17 of 18 Old 04-09-2019, 12:36 PM

Thank you, appreciate the fast and clear responses, all makes sense now. Yes, awaiting the arrival of the HT3550.
post #18 of 18 Old Today, 03:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 877 Post(s)
Liked: 2081
"Why Netflix may need to cut prices and run ads"

Quote:
Netflix executives have repeatedly said the company will not run ads to generate more revenue. But with competition getting more intense, one Wall Street analyst thinks Netflix should offer a cheaper ad-supported service. Shares of Netflix (NFLX) fell more than 2% Tuesday after Needham analyst Laura Martin downgraded the stock to an "underperform" — essentially a "sell" rating.
https://www.cnn.com/2019/12/10/media...ell/index.html

"Netflix’s Business Model Is Headed For An Epic Fail"

Quote:
But not only is NFLX’s business model a literal cash incinerator, the Company robotically issues debt. Through the first nine months of 2019, NFLX issued $2.24 billion in debt, which was $343 million more than the same period in 2018. But NFLX wasn’t finished issuing debt this year. Seven days after reporting Q3 numbers, NFLX issued another $2 billion in bonds. This brings its total debt issuance in 2019 to $4.24 billion. NFLX now has a total of $14.4 billion in debt. But we’re not finished. On top of this, the Company has $19.1 billion in streaming content obligations, $16.9 billion of which is due over the next three years. This makes a total $31.3 billion in debt and debt-like commitments.
https://thedailycoin.org/2019/11/26/...-an-epic-fail/

"This Model Shows How Netflix Can Earn Its $145 Billion Valuation—or Blow It"

Quote:
The main issue is the discrepancy between Netflix's negative-and-sinking cash flow and rising profit numbers. While its net earnings have jumped from $187 million to $1.2 billion from 2016 to 2018, its free cash flow has headed the other way, going from a negative $1.7 billion to minus $2.9 billion, with a $3.5 billion deficit forecast for this year. To bridge the gap, Netflix is borrowing heavily.
https://fortune.com/2019/07/31/netfl...ree-cash-flow/

Panasonic TC65CX850U Yamaha RX-V1079 Technics SU-V650 Panasonic DMP-UB900 Sony UBP-X800 Polk Audio SDA-2B

"I watch a lot of movies, I know what I'm doing." - Daniel Lugo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Video Download Services & Hardware

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page