*Official* C71KW AT&T DirecTV NOW Android TV Streaming Box - Page 3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 9Likes

post #61 of 92 Old 05-01-2019, 03:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2259 Post(s)
Liked: 3535
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post
There's way more beta discussion here than in the official thread, so I'll just post my beta 2 findings here.

- Remote is greatly improved. They even added backlighting.
- Setup is slow and buggy. Mine froze 4 times but ultimately made it all the way through and started working after a few off/on cycles from the remote. Remote also took a couple of tries to pair.
- There are more remote settings. Defaults to auto setup mode and auto detects connected devices (TV, AVR, etc.). But you can switch that off and config manually.
- Guide has an additional line or two.
- Netflix is installed by default.
- Interface navigation is still very snappy as it was in the first beta.
- DTVN app seems to be more stable with no weird lockups or video glitches like I saw in the first beta.

Regarding the HDR issue. Maybe I have the wrong kind of TV, but I don't really understand the problem. Yes, the box output is HDR, which can't be turned off, but it looks perfectly fine. Do other devices have settings to enable/disable HDR? If they exist, I have no such devices. My TV has an HDR Tone Mapping setting which can be turned on if your content has too wide of a dynamic range. I use this on a per program basis, not per input, as the programs themselves vary. However, I spot checked several channels, and they all looked fine with full HDR. I calibrated all my inputs with the WOW disc, and everything looked spot on to me.

Maybe someone can better explain the HDR issue to me. It doesn't appear to present a problem on my hardware.
If the remote needs pairing it sounds like this is an non IR remote, or is IR an option using the remote?

"Espresso is like tequila, when in doubt apply more shots."

Last edited by tenthplanet; 05-01-2019 at 03:53 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 92 Old 05-01-2019, 03:50 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 3118 Post(s)
Liked: 1420
Quote:
Originally Posted by tenthplanet View Post
If the remote needs pairing it sound like this is an non IR remote, or is IR an option using the remote?
Like the first remote, it is bluetooth. The remote controls the box via bluetooth. There is no option to change this. It can control other devices like your TV and AVR by IR and/or HDMI-CEC.

The box itself has an IR receiver and works fine with IR remotes using DirecTV satellite codes. This is detailed in my thread.

Regarding HDR, you've convinced me that a setting or auto switching is needed. Can you work around it for now by using HDR tone mapping?
post #63 of 92 Old 05-01-2019, 04:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1536 Post(s)
Liked: 371
Quote:
Like the first remote, it is bluetooth. The remote controls the box via bluetooth. There is no option to change this. It can control other devices like your TV and AVR by IR and/or HDMI-CEC.

The box itself has an IR receiver and works fine with IR remotes using DirecTV satellite codes. This is detailed in my thread.

Regarding HDR, you've convinced me that a setting or auto switching is needed. Can you work around it for now by using HDR tone mapping?
On this HDR always on issue, do they not have an 800 number to call and discuss or an email address where the question can be asked: "Why do you do this?"

Jack
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 92 Old 05-01-2019, 04:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Thanks for the remote info, I currently have three types of wireless control on different remotes (RF, Wi-Fi, and Bluetooth) so I always keep an eye out for potential interference. I don't have an answer for the HDR question currently, hopefully some one else will have an answer.

post #65 of 92 Old 05-01-2019, 04:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2180 Post(s)
Liked: 2007
Quote:
Maybe someone can better explain the HDR issue to me.

Watching SDR content with HDR forced on results in inaccurate colors and messed up contrast. Not sure why you don't see it on your hardware, but to me it looks like watching something in Turbo Vivid mode (if there was such a thing)
Damien Inferno likes this.
post #66 of 92 Old 05-01-2019, 06:40 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackB View Post
On this HDR always on issue, do they not have an 800 number to call and discuss or an email address where the question can be asked: "Why do you do this?"
They have a whole forum dedicated to the beta where the issue has already been reported multiple times. So they are aware at least. I guess they're testing on TVs like mine that don't show the problem or they haven't figured out how to fix it yet.

I think thousands of users reporting technical issues by phone would be a nightmare. The non-technical people who would take the calls couldn't answer those kinds of questions anyway. They have a feedback mechanism. We should use it. Just need to get the vote counts up for the most exposure.
post #67 of 92 Old 05-01-2019, 06:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 205 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5147 Post(s)
Liked: 3621
Quote:
They have a whole forum dedicated to the beta where the issue has already been reported multiple times. So they are aware at least. I guess they're testing on TVs like mine that don't show the problem or they haven't figured out how to fix it yet.

I think thousands of users reporting technical issues by phone would be a nightmare. The non-technical people who would take the calls couldn't answer those kinds of questions anyway. They have a feedback mechanism. We should use it. Just need to get the vote counts up for the most exposure.
That forums isn't really a forum. They don't interact either so it isn't productive.

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sony LCD Master Series Calibration Thread
My P75-C1 Calibration Settings (5.0.14.1).
Sony XBR-75Z9F, Vizio P75-C1, Pioneer Kuro 5020, Pioneer VSX-1131, XBox One(X), Wii, NVIDIA SHIELD.v1, FireTV 4K-HDR, HDHR Connects, QNAP 431+
post #68 of 92 Old 05-01-2019, 07:21 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoman94 View Post
That forums isn't really a forum. They don't interact either so it isn't productive.
It does stink that they don't interact beyond useless scripted responses. I'm right there with you. Worst possible way to run a beta test. But they do respond in a very limited way. Check the Status drop-down. Currently shows status of issues:

Under review 161
Planned 12 (Prime, 4k channels, speed up google assistant, better app management, misc channel, remote and operational issues)
Started 2 (setup related stuff)
Submitted 6 (mostly remote related stuff)
Completed 6 (new remote, sleep timer, channel numbers, wrapping guide, etc.)
Declined 2 (no beta equipment replacement)

Haven't found that sleep timer yet. Then again, I haven't looked for it either.
post #69 of 92 Old 05-02-2019, 09:53 AM - Thread Starter

Many reports of users having trouble pairing the new remote. Here are the official instructions:
https://fccid.io/MG3-R35602/User-Man...al-4107956.pdf

Quote:
DIRECTV®
Universal Remote Control
Quick Reference Guide

RC81V remote works in IR and Bluetooth interface. The remote uses Bluetooth 2‐way
communication to C71KW. Bluetooth eliminates the need for the remote and the paired devices
to be in line of sight to each other.

Voice Recognition is available in the RC82V Remote. Voice search will only work when the remote
is paired to the C71KW.

Pairing your remote to Set top Box
To pair the DIRECTV remote control to the STB, perform the following steps:
1. Press and HOLD Rewind and Fast Forward at the same time for 3 second until the visible
LED’s starts flashing.
2. Enter digits 961 follow by CH up key.
3. Using the number keys enter the last six digits of the RID number located behind the STB.
4. Press and release ENTER key (the green light flashes twice).

Clearing Pairing
Press and hold Dash and Enter at the same time for 3 seconds until the LED’s flash. The RCU will
unpair from the STB.

RESTORING FACTORY DEFAULT SETTINGS
To reset all the functions of the remote control to the factory default settings following these
steps:
1. Press and hold MUTE and Exit at the same time until the RED LED turns ON.
2. Using the number keys, enter 9‐8‐1. (The feedback flashes 4 times).
post #70 of 92 Old 05-02-2019, 10:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Many reports of users having trouble pairing the new remote. Here are the official instructions:
Do you use the same procedure to pair the RC73 and RC71?

Jack
post #71 of 92 Old 05-02-2019, 10:52 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Do you use the same procedure to pair the RC73 and RC71?
No. RC7x can't be paired because they have no bluetooth capability. They must be used in IR mode. If they're in RF mode, you'll have to switch them to IR (press and hold MUTE & SELECT, wait for two blinks, release. Enter 9 6 1).
post #72 of 92 Old 05-02-2019, 01:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
No. RC7x can't be paired because they have no bluetooth capability. They must be used in IR mode. If they're in RF mode, you'll have to switch them to IR (press and hold MUTE & SELECT, wait for two blinks, release. Enter 9 6 1).
Thanks for that. I am slamming the palm of my hand into my forehead as I type this. What a stupid question.

Jack
post #73 of 92 Old 05-02-2019, 07:58 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Is there any difference between the Beta Box 1 and the new Beta box 2 ?
post #74 of 92 Old 05-03-2019, 02:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Just like setting codes in a Tivo remote (Actually easier).

post #75 of 92 Old 05-03-2019, 07:49 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Just like setting codes in a Tivo remote (Actually easier).
I agree. But it seems to really throw many for a loop. To be fair, the setup process out of the box is really rough (hung many times). Took me a long time to pair the remote. The box completely ignored pairing mode the first 3 times I tried it.

Regarding differences between box 1 and 2, none as far as I can tell. If anybody wants to post some model number details on a v.1 box, and can post the same for a v.2 box.
post #76 of 92 Old 05-03-2019, 06:42 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
I agree. But it seems to really throw many for a loop. To be fair, the setup process out of the box is really rough (hung many times). Took me a long time to pair the remote. The box completely ignored pairing mode the first 3 times I tried it.

Regarding differences between box 1 and 2, none as far as I can tell. If anybody wants to post some model number details on a v.1 box, and can post the same for a v.2 box.
Beta Box #1 is Model RC82V-19 with Firmware: 7038.04.00 and Name is R2 Under System:General: System Summary.
post #77 of 92 Old 05-03-2019, 10:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Hooked up the beta 2 box. The Good: Remote paired on first try, there is an on screen guide that tells you what to do. Set up took awhile, just give time to download and set itself up (Go do something else for awhile) Numbered guide arranged Direct TV Satellite Box style. Performance is fluid changing channels quickly. Remote is back lighted and the button layout is very much DTV remote like, right down to the volume and channel toggle switches.

The Bad: Google Assistant integration is bad, Siri on the Apple TV does better with the Direct TV Now. Too much Googlization to be skipped through, Google assistant talks to you vs. Siri on Apple TV which is silent and gives you information on screen. No dolby digital yet (a minor thing). DVR is easy to use but has no window when fast forwarding similar to Amazon Fire TV. The interface is a cross between the DTV Now interface and a Amazon Fire. (Not a fan of the Amazon Fire).

The Neutral: It will access the Google App store. Netflix is pre-installed already.

Conclusion so far..If there is something I want in Dolby Digital it's easy enough to switch devices. If you use the restart on channels that support it those don't support DD anyway. The stereo sound is very clean, a big improvement over the early days of DTV Now streaming. Most people who have used a DTV or cable company remote will figure out the remote in no time.

If this is the box that will support the service that replaces DTV satellites down the line I think they are on the right track.

post #78 of 92 Old 05-04-2019, 09:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I find the "Enter" button and the surrounding L,R,U,D buttons difficult to feel in the dark. I think they need to be raised a little more to improve the feel.

I'm going to do some testing today on this HDR always on issue. When I first hooked it up yesterday to my projector it looked fine. Later I hooked it to my 2nd projector and the problem showed up. So it would appear that the EDID info being exchanged between the C71 and the TV may be causing the problem.

Jack
post #79 of 92 Old 05-04-2019, 01:01 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Cross View Post
Beta Box #1 is Model RC82V-19 with Firmware: 7038.04.00 and Name is R2 Under System:General: System Summary.
All of that is just the remote, not the box itself. The new remote is indeed RC82V, and the old one is RC81V.

Looking at the green sticker, my beta 2 box is:
Model: C71KW-200 (same as 1)
SKU: 60074
MFG: 03/08/2018 (more than a year old)

In about - system summary:
Release: 1.8.2.001A4A:MF.SAM-MD.C71KW-BV.U-R.17.1.3-SK.PR-AK.1

Looks to me like the beta 2 boxes are the same as beta 1.
post #80 of 92 Old 05-04-2019, 02:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
All of that is just the remote, not the box itself. The new remote is indeed RC82V, and the old one is RC81V.

Looking at the green sticker, my beta 2 box is:
Model: C71KW-200 (same as 1)
SKU: 60074
MFG: 03/08/2018 (more than a year old)

In about - system summary:
Release: 1.8.2.001A4A:MF.SAM-MD.C71KW-BV.U-R.17.1.3-SK.PR-AK.1

Looks to me like the beta 2 boxes are the same as beta 1.
Not surprising that the hardware is the same. What about the firmware?

Jack
post #81 of 92 Old 05-06-2019, 08:40 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Not surprising that the hardware is the same. What about the firmware?
Hard to tell. It's probably buried in that big number I posted. If any beta 1 users care enough to find out, one of them will post the same number from a beta 1 box to compare. But I'm convinced the box and firmware is the same. I can't imagine keeping the beta 1 boxes on a totally different firmware development path if the hardware is the same.

My beta 2 box isn't running very smoothly. Navigation is better than in beta 1. But the streaming itself is not very stable for me. It frequently drops out, then comes back. I'm unplugging it for now and will give it another try in a few weeks.
post #82 of 92 Old 05-06-2019, 09:37 PM

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Hard to tell. It's probably buried in that big number I posted. If any beta 1 users care enough to find out, one of them will post the same number from a beta 1 box to compare.
It is the same, I have both boxes. Actually, the box I just received has an older manufacturing date (03/18) than the original Osprey box I got last year (05/18).
post #83 of 92 Old 05-06-2019, 09:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

This seems crazy. Why go through all this trouble of releasing a new Beta program just to issue a new remote. Makes no sense.

Jack
post #84 of 92 Old 05-06-2019, 11:26 PM

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
This seems crazy. Why go through all this trouble of releasing a new Beta program just to issue a new remote. Makes no sense.
I don't think they ever pushed this second batch as a "New Release" or "Gen 2", etc. They quite literally just expanded the existing Beta to more users, and shipped the new remote to the existing users.

I purchased the original beta box, and got invited for the second one. Both are exactly the same.
post #85 of 92 Old 05-20-2019, 05:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Turns out the box does have surround (dolby digital) but it's buried in the settings section and it's not the default. Once selected a number of channels and the dvr will send out a dolby digital. This similar to the pcm vs. bit stream choice with a blu-ray player. If you choose dolby digital you won't be able to hear the built Google Assistant, some people may not regard that as a minus. Still haven't found the sleep timer you might have to fully enable Google Assistant fully for that.

post #86 of 92 Old 07-31-2019, 02:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Stupid question, but....
Anyone have a unit they hate/are tired of/using as a coaster/ready to throw away and would mail to me to test? (Would pay shipping).
Let me know...
[email protected]

Mark Vidonic
[email protected]
post #87 of 92 Old 08-09-2019, 11:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

The DVR function now has a preview box for FF and Rew, so far no image appears in it. I would expect to see that in a few days. It looks like things are being updated in the background.

post #88 of 92 Old 08-22-2019, 05:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
The DVR function now has a preview box for FF and Rew, so far no image appears in it. I would expect to see that in a few days. It looks like things are being updated in the background.
Well the preview box works with VOD when fast forwarding and rewinding, but not for recorded programs yet.

post #89 of 92 Old 08-22-2019, 05:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Have they fixed the hdr always problem yet?

Jack
post #90 of 92 Old 08-22-2019, 08:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Have they fixed the hdr always problem yet?
We'll know when somebody from one of the AT&T TV test markets reports a field test, I suspect the software will be different than ATT TV Now. The beta software has a bug or two.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Video Download Services & Hardware

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page