Mountains Of The Moon in HD at Google Play? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 02-05-2019, 03:26 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Mountains Of The Moon in HD at Google Play?

Has anyone bought Mountains Of The Moon in HD (by the late, great Bob Rafelson) at Google Play and can comment on picture quality?

If no one has, if I purchase it and the picture quality is bad, how easy is it get a refund from Google Play?

The Google Play site indicates the movie is sourced from the Lionsgate Store, I'm not sure if that means its provenance is guaranteed?

Thanks, Trevor.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 02-05-2019, 09:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1356 Post(s)
Liked: 1878
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor_Bartram View Post
Has anyone bought Mountains Of The Moon in HD (by the late, great Bob Rafelson) at Google Play and can comment on picture quality?

If no one has, if I purchase it and the picture quality is bad, how easy is it get a refund from Google Play?

The Google Play site indicates the movie is sourced from the Lionsgate Store, I'm not sure if that means its provenance is guaranteed?

Thanks, Trevor.
As you know GP is the only streaming service that has this movie in HD. Amazon Video has an SD version. VUDU and iTunes has none.

It was never released on Blu-ray so this is probably the best version you'll find.

Quote:
Google Play Movies & TV refunds
If your video won't play properly, try these tips to fix playback issues. If you would still like a refund or you are requesting the refund for another reason, see the info below.

Refund availability
If you haven't started watching it yet, you can request a refund within 7 days of your purchase.
If your movie or TV show is defective, unavailable, or doesn't perform as stated, you can request a refund within 65 days of your purchase.
If you return the movie or TV show for a refund it may be removed from your library and you may not be able to watch it.

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Kindergarten Movies
post #3 of 8 Old 02-05-2019, 11:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2416 Post(s)
Liked: 2046
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.G View Post
As you know GP is the only streaming service that has this movie in HD. Amazon Video has an SD version. VUDU and iTunes has none.

It was never released on Blu-ray so this is probably the best version you'll find.
It may depend on what you were watching it on. I rented "A Quiet Place" to watch in 4K and it only played SD on Roku. Turns out that GP doesn't support 4K on Roku yet. However I was able to watch it 4K on an NVidia Shield TV.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 02-05-2019, 04:47 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Hi Mr G, thanks for the reply, have you purchased the HD version and can comment on picture quality?

Trevor.

P.S. the picture quality of the trailer is awful.
post #5 of 8 Old 02-06-2019, 07:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Hi Mr G, thanks for the reply, have you purchased the HD version and can comment on picture quality?

Trevor.

P.S. the picture quality of the trailer is awful.
No, sorry I haven't purchased it. The quality of the trailer isn't always a good indicator of movie quality.

Google is usually pretty good about refunding if the reason you politely state is valid. In your case the reason would be 'doesn't perform as stated'.

You should be able to tell if the quality is subpar for HD within the first few minutes.

post #6 of 8 Old 02-08-2019, 06:46 AM - Thread Starter

Finally

Quote:
No, sorry I haven't purchased it. The quality of the trailer isn't always a good indicator of movie quality.

Google is usually pretty good about refunding if the reason you politely state is valid. In your case the reason would be 'doesn't perform as stated'.

You should be able to tell if the quality is subpar for HD within the first few minutes.
I'm watching this now. This release is sourced from Europe (Studio-Canal/Columbia-Tristar/Lionsgate-Shop). The picture is 1.85:1 and it's an adequate transfer, I little bright/pale/unsaturated with grain. This was filmed in 70mm so should look better but definitely worth buying for $6.99.

I've been waiting 25 years for a decent release having seen it in the cinema and bought the VHS and laserdisc.

One of my top ten favourite movies, a testament to the greatness of Bob Rafelson, all the best, Trevor.
post #7 of 8 Old 02-08-2019, 08:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I'm watching this now. This release is sourced from Europe (Studio-Canal/Columbia-Tristar/Lionsgate-Shop). The picture is 1.85:1 and it's an adequate transfer, a little bright/pale/unsaturated with grain. This was filmed in 70mm so should look better but definitely worth buying for $6.99.

I've been waiting 25 years for a decent release having seen it in the cinema and bought the VHS and laserdisc.

One of my top ten favourite movies, a testament to the greatness of Bob Rafelson, all the best, Trevor.
Now that's you've seen in its entirety was it worth the cost? I'm interested in seeing this now. Thanks.

post #8 of 8 Old 02-08-2019, 12:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2416 Post(s)
Liked: 2046
I rented a title yesterday on Google Play for 4K presentation. I noted that now they show what kind of device you can get 4K on.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Video Download Services & Hardware

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page