You may only be able to watch movies through streaming soon - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 02-17-2019, 07:48 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 338 Post(s)
Liked: 128
You may only be able to watch movies through streaming soon

Quote:
After introducing the industry’s first Blu-ray player 13 years ago, Samsung has confirmed that they are exiting the market in the U.S. and won’t be releasing any new Blu-ray hardware in the near future.
https://www.techspot.com/news/78793-...y-players.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 02-17-2019, 11:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1196 Post(s)
Liked: 773
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyross63 View Post
The sad part is, DVD's still out sell BD's by a wide margin. Picture and sound quality is not a priority for most consumers.

Ian

The best way to succeed in life is to act on the advice you give to others

post #3 of 6 Old 02-18-2019, 10:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1355 Post(s)
Liked: 1878
Quote:
Originally Posted by mailiang View Post
The sad part is, DVD's still out sell BD's by a wide margin. Picture and sound quality is not a priority for most consumers.

Ian
Sadly true. In most cases HD streaming is an improvement to 480i DVD's. For most non-discriminating consumers that is good enough.

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Kindergarten Movies
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 02-19-2019, 03:58 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 481 Post(s)
Liked: 14364
Quote:
Originally Posted by mailiang View Post

Ian
And from where I sit, they don't care that much about content, too.

Not surprised about Samsung doing this. Besides the streaming and DVDs still out selling BDs/UHDs, their finanicials have been taking a hit and they may be trimming loss leaders/low revenue products.

Make me grow brainiac fingers, but with more hair!

Last edited by PooperScooper; 02-19-2019 at 04:05 AM.
post #5 of 6 Old 02-19-2019, 04:20 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Have to agree that the vast majority don't care or simply don't notice the crappy quality of most streamed content, regardless if it's labelled "HD" or "UHD". The crushed blacks, artifacts and macroblocking from Netflix, Prime and Hulu, and all the tv streaming services (I've tried them all--I stuck with PSVue for the interface) are just awful.

Are you distinguishing between streaming services and digital copies played through (name your service...)? The few digital copies I've purchased look ok.
post #6 of 6 Old 02-19-2019, 11:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2415 Post(s)
Liked: 2046
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dargent0628 View Post
Have to agree that the vast majority don't care or simply don't notice the crappy quality of most streamed content, regardless if it's labelled "HD" or "UHD". The crushed blacks, artifacts and macroblocking from Netflix, Prime and Hulu, and all the tv streaming services (I've tried them all--I stuck with PSVue for the interface) are just awful.

Are you distinguishing between streaming services and digital copies played through (name your service...)? The few digital copies I've purchased look ok.
I think that depends on how the content is shot. You might not notice much when watching a "The Blacklist" episode in 4K because it is shot more for small screens TV style. Also note that when watching 4K which has eye popping outdoor scenes close-ups of actors may be softened which makes me think they don't want every pore showing and have it in their contracts. You would probably see the same on a UHD disc.

Compression is getting really good and I have been recently playing with one of the optimized AV1 encoders. When going to play the file I noticed that not only VLC could play it but being on Windows 10 it the file had a Windows Media Player icon and indeed Media Player could play it. And that was with a software decoder and the file was 4K.

The general public will probably not notice the artifacts that those of us who have been working with video for years and I'm finding unbelievably good encodes at low bitrates as low as 6 Mbps.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Video Download Services & Hardware

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page