Disney+ - The Mouse Strikes Back Discussion Thread - Page 13 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 141Likes

post #361 of 402 Old 01-04-2020, 07:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 346 Post(s)
Liked: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottAvery View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyross63 View Post
Are you zooming up the picture for some reason? If it's a 2.35:1 on a 16:9 (1.78:1) TV, then the letterboxing is normal and should be left alone.
Yes, I have a 2.76:1 ultrapanavision screen and I watch all content in original aspect ratio. constant image height. The subtitles fall outside of the picture area and get cut off when they are played at 2.39:1.

Since I use an anamorphic lens for ratios at or greater than 2.35:1 (actually 2.37), the subtitles don't even show below the screen, they are gone.
Since these services are designed for a 16:9 screen, you may need to configure it to pillarbox the screen. Many may complain about having the subtitles covering the main video. Or see if there is a device that supports super-widesceen that can adjust the CC to fit.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 402 Old 01-09-2020, 09:31 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sask HT View Post
Over a month now and still no Dolby Atmos on Disney Plus.

They obviously aren't working very hard on fixing this.

Now two months in and the only fix I've seen is the LG TV app - am I missing anything?
SinGA likes this.
post #363 of 402 Old 01-09-2020, 10:55 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 6768 Post(s)
Liked: 6646
Quote:
Originally Posted by bullwinklehdtv View Post
Now two months in and the only fix I've seen is the LG TV app - am I missing anything?

?? You’ll have to be more specific as Atmos on the LG app was added a couple of weeks ago IIRC. I haven’t checked since it was “fixed” though. Are you looking for something different?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #364 of 402 Old 01-09-2020, 12:01 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post
?? You’ll have to be more specific as Atmos on the LG app was added a couple of weeks ago IIRC. I haven’t checked since it was “fixed” though. Are you looking for something different?

Atmos is still not working on any other device that was having problems at launch - Fire Stick, Roku other than Ultra, Xbox, etc. In other words they've only fixed the problem on one device-LG TV's. I was asking if anyone is aware of any other devices that have been fixed. The message quoted was a comment last month on the lack of action on the part of Disney, which appears not to have changed.
Ph8te and SinGA like this.

Last edited by bullwinklehdtv; 01-09-2020 at 03:05 PM.
post #365 of 402 Old 01-09-2020, 12:17 PM

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 6768 Post(s)
Liked: 6646
Quote:
Originally Posted by bullwinklehdtv View Post
Atmos is still not working on any other device that was having problems at launch - Fire Stick, Roku other that Ulra, Xbox, etc. In other words they've only fixed the problem on one device-LG TV's. I was asking if anyone is aware of any other devices that have been fixed. The message quoted was a comment last month on the lack of action on the part of Disney, which appears not to have changed.

I believe LG and AppleTV4K/IPhone Xs to 11 Pro were the only devices activated for Atmos. I haven’t seen any other devices given the green light as of yet. It’s not “broken” as it was never there (that’s what I was confused on), just missing the feature, which may get added in the future. Usually folks on Reddit post soon after a feature gets added.
post #366 of 402 Old 01-09-2020, 02:05 PM
UHD Addict

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Quoted: 9739 Post(s)
Liked: 6417
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post
I believe LG and AppleTV4K/IPhone Xs to 11 Pro were the only devices activated for Atmos. I haven’t seen any other devices given the green light as of yet. It’s not “broken” as it was never there (that’s what I was confused on), just missing the feature, which may get added in the future. Usually folks on Reddit post soon after a feature gets added.
My 2019 Roku Ultra and 2017 ROku Streaming Stick+ have been getting Atmos from Disney+.
I haven't checked my 2016/2017 Ultra in awhile. And I haven't opened my 2019 Streaming Stick+ yet. I'll probably just keep it around as a backup.
Ph8te likes this.

57TB unRAID1a--49TB unRAID2--76TB unRAID3
TCL 6 Series--Sony UBP-X800--Philips BDP7502--Onkyo HT-S7800
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
post #367 of 402 Old 01-17-2020, 04:08 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 77
v1.2.1 just came out for Fire TV and Android app and they still haven't fixed Atmos.
post #368 of 402 Old 01-28-2020, 06:42 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 7433 Post(s)
Liked: 16865
There was a Disney+ update on my ATV. So I updated. Good news, I now have Atmos on The Mandalorian via the ATV. Bad news, I’ve now lost Vision. And not just on The Mandalorian, but on everything. WTH? Did the Mouse eat a tainted Apple? I saw there’s a Prime update as well, but I’m not touching that. Also, before the latest tvOS, you could go into purchased apps and see what each new download offered. I no longer see this feature. Any ideas?
fganter and SuperFist like this.

post #369 of 402 Old 01-28-2020, 06:52 AM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Sony TV(1.2.2) ARC only gives stereo. I do get a brief half second where it sounds like all the speakers are engaged. Netflix and Amazon app work great. Just wait it out? I assume this is a Disney app issue?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #370 of 402 Old 01-28-2020, 09:50 AM

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked: 241
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waboman View Post
There was a Disney+ update on my ATV. So I updated. Good news, I now have Atmos on The Mandalorian via the ATV. Bad news, I’ve now lost Vision. And not just on The Mandalorian, but on everything. WTH? Did the Mouse eat a tainted Apple? I saw there’s a Prime update as well, but I’m not touching that. Also, before the latest tvOS, you could go into purchased apps and see what each new download offered. I no longer see this feature. Any ideas?

I posted in the ATV thread but basically seeing the same thing as you except my TV only supports HDR (Samsung) not DV. After updating to v1.2.2 I no longer get HDR with the Disney+ app (match range and match frame rate both enabled). I do get Atmos for the audio.

The odd thing is my other ATV4K (also hooked up to Samsung) passes through HDR with v1.2.2 of D+ and match range/ frame rate enabled. I’ve rebooted and force closed the app but the issue is still there. Haven’t tried deleting the app yet. The one that doesn’t pass HDR is going through my Denon but that has never been an issue with D+ before and all the other apps on my ATV4K work properly and switch to HDR when HDR content is available.

Samsung UN55KS8000 | Denon AVR-X4500H | AppleTV 4K | DirecTV HR54 + 4K RVU | Samsung UBD-M8500
Samsung UN55HU8550 + SEK-4500/ZA | Samsung Soundbar HW-H550 | AppleTV 4K | DirecTV 4K RVU | Samsung UBD-K8500
Samsung QN43Q60RA | AppleTV 4th Gen | DirecTV C41W
post #371 of 402 Old 01-28-2020, 11:07 AM
NTC

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 236 Post(s)
Liked: 315
Quote:
Originally Posted by pie944 View Post
Sony TV(1.2.2) ARC only gives stereo. I do get a brief half second where it sounds like all the speakers are engaged. Netflix and Amazon app work great. Just wait it out? I assume this is a Disney app issue?

On my X900F with the same app version, the ARC outputs DD 5.1 or PCM stereo, depending on the film. However, the TV will not play any videos if I elect to use the TV's built-in speakers. I believe someone else reported the same issue with the Sony awhile back. With the optical out I only got the stereo (after a brief display of DD). On my Hisense TV, also with Android Oreo, none of the audio issues exist.

My other issue with the Disney app and Android Oreo (on Sony and Hisense) is that once I'm done watching the movie and hit the back button on the remote just once, the app closes completely instead of going back to the home screen of Disney+. The only work around that I found was to pause the video, select the subtitle menu (upper right corner icon), back out of the subtitle menu, then hit the back button again to get to the home screen of the app. Jeez!
post #372 of 402 Old 01-28-2020, 12:34 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman0725 View Post
I posted in the ATV thread but basically seeing the same thing as you except my TV only supports HDR (Samsung) not DV. After updating to v1.2.2 I no longer get HDR with the Disney+ app (match range and match frame rate both enabled). I do get Atmos for the audio.

The odd thing is my other ATV4K (also hooked up to Samsung) passes through HDR with v1.2.2 of D+ and match range/ frame rate enabled. I’ve rebooted and force closed the app but the issue is still there. Haven’t tried deleting the app yet. The one that doesn’t pass HDR is going through my Denon but that has never been an issue with D+ before and all the other apps on my ATV4K work properly and switch to HDR when HDR content is available.

What a pita. Good to know it’s not only me. Misery loves company. Seems only the Mouse and it’s new update crippled the HDR/Vision. Any ideas what to do?
musicman0725 likes this.

post #373 of 402 Old 01-28-2020, 12:50 PM

Quote:
What a pita. Good to know it’s not only me. Misery loves company. Seems only the Mouse and it’s new update crippled the HDR/Vision. Any ideas what to do?

Swapping ATV4Ks between locations caused the issue to appear on the one that wasn’t experiencing it (swapping back resolved it). Seems to be related to the app and how it’s handing the video chain. I’m seeing the issue on my ATV4K -> Denon -> KS8000. You could try modifying your video chain to go directly to the TV. I’m not sure exactly what the issue is. I just find it odd that I can reproduce it on multiple ATV4Ks as long as they are connected to my main living room setup. Only the Disney+ app is impacted. Match range and match frame rate work fine with other apps.

Samsung UN55KS8000 | Denon AVR-X4500H | AppleTV 4K | DirecTV HR54 + 4K RVU | Samsung UBD-M8500
Samsung UN55HU8550 + SEK-4500/ZA | Samsung Soundbar HW-H550 | AppleTV 4K | DirecTV 4K RVU | Samsung UBD-K8500
post #374 of 402 Old 01-28-2020, 01:20 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 4306 Post(s)
Liked: 3999
Quote:
Quote:
Swapping ATV4Ks between locations caused the issue to appear on the one that wasn’t experiencing it (swapping back resolved it). Seems to be related to the app and how it’s handing the video chain. I’m seeing the issue on my ATV4K -> Denon -> KS8000. You could try modifying your video chain to go directly to the TV. I’m not sure exactly what the issue is. I just find it odd that I can reproduce it on multiple ATV4Ks as long as they are connected to my main living room setup. Only the Disney+ app is impacted. Match range and match frame rate work fine with other apps.

Seeing the same issue here. The signal path is ATV4K>Denon AVR-X6500H>Sony A9F OLED. Disney screwed something up with this update.
fganter likes this.
post #375 of 402 Old 01-28-2020, 01:54 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Disney+ - The Mouse Strikes Back Discussion Thread

+1 with AtMOs but no DV with Mandalorian direct to Panasonic GZ2000. On ATV4K.

fganter likes this.

Sony 55" A1 OLED
post #376 of 402 Old 01-28-2020, 08:00 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keenan View Post
Seeing the same issue here. The signal path is ATV4K>Denon AVR-X6500H>Sony A9F OLED. Disney screwed something up with this update.
I have the same setup, with the ATV going thru my processor. Will have to contort my arse behind my cabinet (it's not a pretty sight) and connect directly to tv, see if that helps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by samv0808 View Post
+1 with AtMOs but no DV with Mandalorian direct to Panasonic GZ2000. On ATV4K.

Uh oh. So you're getting no Vision going directly to your tv?
RobKnapp likes this.

post #377 of 402 Old 01-28-2020, 08:05 PM

Quote:
I have the same setup, with the ATV going thru my processor. Will have to contort my arse behind my cabinet (it's not a pretty sight) and connect directly to tv, see if that helps.
I have an extra cable in my cabinet right next to my ATV that is hooked to my KS8000. Going directly to the TV didn’t resolve the issue.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
RobKnapp likes this.

post #378 of 402 Old 01-28-2020, 08:13 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I have an extra cable in my cabinet right next to my ATV that is hooked to my KS8000. Going directly to the TV didn’t resolve the issue.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
That's good to know before I blow out a hammie trying to climb back there. The Mouse needs to spread some cheese to the code heads and get this resolved asap.
Keenan and musicman0725 like this.

post #379 of 402 Old 01-28-2020, 11:44 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Uh oh. So you're getting no Vision going directly to your tv?
Yup.

Sony 55" A1 OLED
post #380 of 402 Old 01-29-2020, 06:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 547 Post(s)
Liked: 460
"The Lion King" looked excellent in DV. Premiered last night.
aaronwt likes this.
post #381 of 402 Old 01-29-2020, 05:40 PM

Quote:
That's good to know before I blow out a hammie trying to climb back there. The Mouse needs to spread some cheese to the code heads and get this resolved asap.

Not sure I ran this test properly as I don’t think I killed the D+ app when I swapped cables and ran directly to the TV. Someone pointed out in the ATV thread that if you disable Atmos in the ATV settings it fixes HDR. At first it didn’t work for me but after trying again and killing the D+ app that did the trick. Still don’t like having to choose between Atmos and HDR.

RobKnapp likes this.

post #382 of 402 Old 01-30-2020, 03:22 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I'd put money down that no amount of changing cables is going to fix this. Disney screwed up the app and needs to fix it.

Has anyone else contacted Disney+ to ensure they know about the issue? I sent them something on their "feedback" section, because they don't have straight up on-line help. Last time I reported an issue it took them 2 months (no joke) to get back to me. (Disney+ customer service is atrocious which will come back and bite them, if they don't correct that.)
SinGA likes this.
post #383 of 402 Old 01-30-2020, 06:18 AM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I had the same problem as everbody
1. I unplugged the Apple TV for 30 secs.,That brought back DV.
2. Then I went to settings and turn Atmos off and then back on.
Now I have both working!
SuperFist and Hetfieldjames like this.

Last edited by goldenager70; 01-30-2020 at 06:22 AM.
post #384 of 402 Old 01-30-2020, 01:31 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 4306 Post(s)
Liked: 3999
It seems to be working okay for me now as well.
musicman0725 likes this.
post #385 of 402 Old 01-30-2020, 03:01 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenager70 View Post
Now I have both working!
We Cracked the corrupted Code. Our youngest is reading the A to Z mystery books. Looks like this could be letter C.

I shouldn't speak too soon, I haven't tried it yet.

post #386 of 402 Old 01-30-2020, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenager70 View Post
Now I have both working!
When I got home tonight, everything was back to where it was 3 days ago - DV and Atmos fine on all titles except The Mandalorian. I didn't have to do anything.

I tried the steps above to see if would fix The Mandalorian, but it doesn't.
musicman0725 likes this.
post #387 of 402 Old 01-30-2020, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keenan View Post
It seems to be working okay for me now as well.

Same. I had a workaround that I was using but I no longer need it. Looks like it was fixed server side.

Keenan likes this.

post #388 of 402 Old 01-30-2020, 08:29 PM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Ugh, before the recent update-a-thon, I was able to get DV/DA on non-D+-Original content (Endgame, Aladdin, etc) but no DV/DA on D+ Original content (Mandalorian, Togo, Lady and the Tramp). 2 days ago after updating the app, I was able to get DV/DA on everything including Originals. Now with the recent OS, I lost DV/DA on D+ Original content again but non-Originals are fine.

KDL40S2000 (still in use), UN55D7000 (10+ dead pixels, returned), TC-L32DT30 (still in use), KDL55HX820 (sold), 55JU7500 (cracked screen right out of the box, returned), 55JS8500
post #389 of 402 Old 01-30-2020, 11:51 PM - Thread Starter

It’s working now for me too. Well, back to how it was before the Vision crippling snafu. Vision restored, no Atmos on Mandalorian. Didn’t have to unplug or disable anything. Just like the hand of Mouse came down and made it so.

post #390 of 402 Old 01-31-2020, 03:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wraithrsw View Post
Ugh, before the recent update-a-thon, I was able to get DV/DA on non-D+-Original content (Endgame, Aladdin, etc) but no DV/DA on D+ Original content (Mandalorian, Togo, Lady and the Tramp). 2 days ago after updating the app, I was able to get DV/DA on everything including Originals. Now with the recent OS, I lost DV/DA on D+ Original content again but non-Originals are fine.
On Apple TV? If so, this would be the first I've heard of anyone getting The Mandalorian in DV/DA concurrently.

Last edited by fganter; 01-31-2020 at 04:03 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Video Download Services & Hardware

Tags
appletv 4k , Disney , disney+ , dolby atmos , Star Wars , uhd 4k

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page