Disney+ - The Mouse Strikes Back Discussion Thread - Page 6 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 105Likes

post #151 of 298 Old 11-14-2019, 12:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 791 Post(s)
Liked: 417
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waboman View Post
Who using an ATV responded they don’t get Atmos? You get Atmos with an ATV as long as the movie is in Atmos.
The poster above

Streaming Devices: Nvidia Shield, 2x Roku 3's, 1st/2nd gen chromecast, ATV4k, Apple TV 4, xbox 360/one
Displays: Vizio M602i-B3, LG OLED65B6, panasonic ax100u on a 145" S-I-L-V-E-R painted screen, 40" Samsung
Receivers: Denon X3300, Yamaha RX-V663. Bluray/UHD player: Oppo UDP-203
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 298 Old 11-14-2019, 12:19 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Who using an ATV responded they don’t get Atmos? You get Atmos with an ATV as long as the movie is in Atmos.
Not if you're me! I also have a friend who's streaming on an Apple TV 4k, and he's not getting the Atmos either 🤷

I think responders above are probably correct that this is just an issue that will be sorted out eventually.

Officially dual format. I don't care what I buy, as long as it's not a combo.
post #153 of 298 Old 11-14-2019, 12:25 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked: 213
Quote:
as you know, there are a bunch of threads about D+, i did just read a couple of post in one or more of those threads about people not getting ATMOS from ATV4K. i'm not saying it's the ATV4K so, unruffle those feathers you jive turkey! it may be related to D+ app itself or the server.

of course, it might just be........

TCL-65R615, 55P605 DV/HDR10 & 49S405 HDR10, Philips BDP7501, BPD7502 UHD Players
Oppo BDP-105D, 105, 93, Marantz AV7702MKII, NR1607. Xbox One S
Emotiva XPA5,UPA2, UPA200 & Mini X Amps
Speakers, Polk SDA-2, Monitor 10A & 5A, Axiom M80,
VP180, QS8, M2, QS4, ATMOS 7.1.4 & 5.1.2 NYGiants!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #154 of 298 Old 11-14-2019, 12:27 PM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by solarrdadd View Post
as you know, there are a bunch of threads about D+, i did just read a couple of post in one or more of those threads about people not getting ATMOS from ATV4K. i'm not saying it's the ATV4K so, unruffle those feathers you jive turkey! it may be related to D+ app itself or the server.

Logic points to the D+ itself, because as I mentioned above, it's not that the Dolby Atmos isn't working, but that it doesn't even show up on the screen with Dolby Atmos audio. Just says 5.1.

Officially dual format. I don't care what I buy, as long as it's not a combo.
post #155 of 298 Old 11-14-2019, 12:28 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 7249 Post(s)
Liked: 16479
Quote:
Originally Posted by koblenza View Post
Not if you're me! I also have a friend who's streaming on an Apple TV 4k, and he's not getting the Atmos either 🤷

I think responders above are probably correct that this is just an issue that will be sorted out eventually.
Interesting. Could it be a settings issue somewhere in your HT chain?

Edit: I see the movies aren’t even showing up in Atmos for you. That sounds like a Mouse issue. Hopefully he has his best people on it.
koblenza likes this.

post #156 of 298 Old 11-14-2019, 12:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Interesting. Could it be a settings issue somewhere in HT chain?
Not when all the hardware and other apps work fine. The ONLY thing not working right is the disney+ app. But there's lots of reported issues with it. I'm sure they'll get it fixed.

Streaming Devices: Nvidia Shield, 2x Roku 3's, 1st/2nd gen chromecast, ATV4k, Apple TV 4, xbox 360/one
Displays: Vizio M602i-B3, LG OLED65B6, panasonic ax100u on a 145" S-I-L-V-E-R painted screen, 40" Samsung
post #157 of 298 Old 11-14-2019, 12:40 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by fganter View Post
HDR has been working on the LG TV app and XBOX One S since it first went live (for me anyway).

It looks like 4K to me... I'm seeing some detail on C3PO that's not there on the blu-ray version.
Yeah, my LG 86UD9500 and another user's LG UK6500AUA - seems our Disney+ app is only supporting HD and 2.0 audio at this time. I also get Dolby Vision HDR just fine.

When you look at a program - Star Wars, for example, on the initial screen where you would hit play it just say HD and Dolby Vision.

Same content on my TCL 4K set: it says 4K, Dolby Vision, 5.1 etc.

So not sure why that is, hopefully Disney figures this out or offers an explanation (I'm guessing not all features were 100% ready for all models).

Last edited by TMOSteel; 11-14-2019 at 12:50 PM.
post #158 of 298 Old 11-14-2019, 12:53 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 7249 Post(s)
Liked: 16479
Quote:
Originally Posted by solarrdadd View Post

Easy there, Asgardian. I have Goofy on speed dial and he’s been drinking all day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by archer75 View Post
Not when all the hardware and other apps work fine. The ONLY thing not working right is the disney+ app. But there's lots of reported issues with it. I'm sure they'll get it fixed.
Yeah, really sounds ike a Mouse issue. Hopefully they get it fixed soon and Atmos is restored.
archer75 and solarrdadd like this.

post #159 of 298 Old 11-14-2019, 12:57 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 301 Post(s)
Liked: 206
Anyone finding The Mandalorian atmos track to sound a little compressed? I had to turn it up pretty loud for it to sound alright, almost like it was mixed a little strange/quiet. The LFE was also pretty underwhelming.
post #160 of 298 Old 11-14-2019, 01:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjunadeep View Post
Anyone finding The Mandalorian atmos track to sound a little compressed? I had to turn it up pretty loud for it to sound alright, almost like it was mixed a little strange/quiet. The LFE was also pretty underwhelming.
The mandalorian wasn't in atmos. At least it wasn't when I watched on tuesday though other content was. I found both audio and video quality to be less than stellar on it. And I tested on my ATV4k, nvidia shield and LG's built in app. Hopefully just launch day issues. Though I watched a bit of return of the jedi and it looked great.

But I find the vast majority of movies/shows with atmos aren't mixed very well. Like they just aren't taking advantage of the features. I find disney is the biggest offender on the discs I own.

Some movies/series have done it well. Just not many. Honestly I find I like DTS:X better.

Last edited by archer75; 11-14-2019 at 01:12 PM.
post #161 of 298 Old 11-14-2019, 01:47 PM

Quote:
The mandalorian wasn't in atmos. At least it wasn't when I watched on tuesday though other content was. I found both audio and video quality to be less than stellar on it. And I tested on my ATV4k, nvidia shield and LG's built in app. Hopefully just launch day issues. Though I watched a bit of return of the jedi and it looked great.

But I find the vast majority of movies/shows with atmos aren't mixed very well. Like they just aren't taking advantage of the features. I find disney is the biggest offender on the discs I own.

Some movies/series have done it well. Just not many. Honestly I find I like DTS:X better.
Bummer. Usually I watch stuff on my Shield at -15 or so, I had that turned up to -6, on my calibrated setup, try to get some dynamics going. The whole thing just sounded squashed and lifeless. After that I watched another episode of Too Old to Die Young and that looked and sounded amazing.
post #162 of 298 Old 11-14-2019, 02:43 PM

Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked: 146
I find the Neflix original content with Atmos to be pretty good. Not quite Bluray quality, but decent.

I think Disney has just decided they don't care about the 10% of their customers that have good sound systems and expect top sound quality.

Let's face it, most people are streaming on devices or smart TV's with the tv speakers or a sound bar at best. I have what I consider the entry level into quality sound and I don't know a single person that has as good a setup as me.

LG OLED65B7, LG UP970, Yamaha RXA770, Polk S55's, Polk S35, Polk S15's, KEF Ci160ER's, Dual SVS PB-1000's
post #163 of 298 Old 11-14-2019, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sask HT View Post
I find the Neflix original content with Atmos to be pretty good. Not quite Bluray quality, but decent.

I think Disney has just decided they don't care about the 10% of their customers that have good sound systems and expect top sound quality.

Let's face it, most people are streaming on devices or smart TV's with the tv speakers or a sound bar at best. I have what I consider the entry level into quality sound and I don't know a single person that has as good a setup as me.
I guess I don't expect something to sound good because it's mixed in Atmos, but I do expect Star Wars to be on the cutting edge. The poor picture and sound quality of this series is pretty surprising to me. I think you make a good point though, it might just be an easy place to go on the cheap since most people don't care that much about quality. Maybe they care more about picture than sound, but, for sure not sound.,
post #164 of 298 Old 11-14-2019, 03:36 PM

Quote:
I guess I don't expect something to sound good because it's mixed in Atmos, but I do expect Star Wars to be on the cutting edge. The poor picture and sound quality of this series is pretty surprising to me. I think you make a good point though, it might just be an easy place to go on the cheap since most people don't care that much about quality. Maybe they care more about picture than sound, but, for sure not sound.,
I think most people don't have the audio equipment to tell the difference. It all sounds the same through the tv speakers or a cheap HTIB.

LG OLED65B7, LG UP970, Yamaha RXA770, Polk S55's, Polk S35, Polk S15's, KEF Ci160ER's, Dual SVS PB-1000's
post #165 of 298 Old 11-14-2019, 05:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked: 213
Quote:

I don’t think that’s true. Disney announced the technology that they supported before this went online which included 4K/DV/HDR10/ATMOS all listed as supported. I think they are having technical issues they have to over come to make good on the ATMOS part to all devices/systems that support it.

Amazon Primes new show, Carnival Row, was on for weeks before they resolved the audio issue and got ATMOS streaming for it. I am hopeful in a couple of weeks or less Disney will get it resolved for almost if not all users.
MALICIOUS ONE likes this.

TCL-65R615, 55P605 DV/HDR10 & 49S405 HDR10, Philips BDP7501, BPD7502 UHD Players
Oppo BDP-105D, 105, 93, Marantz AV7702MKII, NR1607. Xbox One S
Emotiva XPA5,UPA2, UPA200 & Mini X Amps
Speakers, Polk SDA-2, Monitor 10A & 5A, Axiom M80,
VP180, QS8, M2, QS4, ATMOS 7.1.4 & 5.1.2 NYGiants!
post #166 of 298 Old 11-14-2019, 06:16 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 4077 Post(s)
Liked: 3806
post #167 of 298 Old 11-14-2019, 07:23 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 406 Post(s)
Liked: 118
LG OLED E6 does not play 4K Materials using Disney+ Streaming

I removed and reinstall the Disney+ app on my LG OLED E6.

It streams all 1080p (HD) movies but doesn't play any of the 4K (HDR/DV) movies.

It starts buffering as soon as it passes the Disney+ logo and it never stops.

I don't have any issues playing 4K movies from either Netflix or Amazon Prime. Just the Disney app has this problem.

Does anybody else have this issue?

Is there any solution?

Audio: 5.1 Martin Logan Summit X (Front), ML Stage (Center), ML Script i (Surround), Paradigm Seismic 110 (Subwoofer), Emotiva XMC-1 (Processor), Anthem P5 (Amplifier)
Video: LG OLED65E6, Oppo-103, Zidoo X9S (Media Player), Darbee (Video Processor)
post #168 of 298 Old 11-14-2019, 09:37 PM

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I'm kind of amused that the remastered version of the theme song to Chip 'n' Dale's Rescue Rangers is giving my woofers some action. Normally I wouldn't be interested in re-watching cartoons like that--cartoons that I watched as a kid in the late 80s and early 90s--but I'm intrigued by the remastering process because I think that it's cool that it makes old stuff look and sound better, which makes it more enjoyable for younger generations (and helps to preserve history). I just watched the first episode of that show, and the show's details say that it is available in HD, and I don't know whether each frame was re-scanned in HD or upscaled to HD, but the picture looked sharp to me, though there are jaggies. Unfortunately, the aspect ratio was changed to 16:9 using tilt & scan, but in this case, it didn't bother me.

Just so that we're clear, I don't plan on watching any more episodes of Chip 'n' Dale's Rescue Rangers.

TV: LG 47LW5700, AVR: Onkyo TX-NR787, speakers: DCM KX speakers:DCM KX-12 Series 2 (as front left and front right), DCM KX Center Series 2, DCM KX-6 Series 2 (as side surround left and right), sources: Xbox One S, Playstation 2 (fat model), Nintendo GameCube (model with digital AV output) with GameBoy Player, Panasonic VCR (PV-4661), PC: Microsoft Surface Pro (5th generation), phone: iPhone 7 Plus

Last edited by Drew Neilson; 11-14-2019 at 09:44 PM.
post #169 of 298 Old 11-14-2019, 09:40 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Unhappy Disney Plus No Surround Sound ???

So tonight the wife and my daughter-in-law convinced me that I should get Disney Plus. Hell, I wanted to see "The Mandalorian" anyway, so I got the annual package. I fired up the new "Lady and the Tramp" for the kids and its in stereo! I looked for a surround sound option in settings and nada zilch zip. Disney Plus is advertising 4k and atmos support, but no where to set that in the menus.

The app is installed on my 2018 FireTV Cube and all my other streaming content (Netflix, Kodi, Prime Video, CBS All Access, etc) is in surround sound.

Is anyone else experiencing this?

Or did I miss something?
post #170 of 298 Old 11-15-2019, 07:05 AM

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:
I have what I consider the entry level into quality sound and I don't know a single person that has as good a setup as me.
Same here, just yesterday I had a guy tell me there's no reason to buy a 4K TV because there's almost no content!
I had to educate him about today's streaming options.

Quote:
I guess I don't expect something to sound good because it's mixed in Atmos, but I do expect Star Wars to be on the cutting edge.
^^^Exactly, this is their flagship product. By all reports they quietly pulled a fast one and have a brand new remaster, and it's beautiful.
Quote:
The poor picture and sound quality of this series is pretty surprising to me.
What series, Star Wars?
I'm watching "A New Hope" and it's the best I've ever seen (and heard) it. Cant wait for Atmos.
Quote:
I think you make a good point though, it might just be an easy place to go on the cheap since most people don't care that much about quality. Maybe they care more about picture than sound, but, for sure not sound.
Yes of course picture is prioritized over sound, but again Star Wars is their flagship franchise, they want to get this right. One would not go to the trouble to remaster these movies with 4K, HDR, & Atmos to not make it available.
Plus they've been touting the Dolby Vision/ Dolby Atmos capability of their service. They want this to work.
Since they're the new guy to streaming they are not going to offer less quality than the competition.

True not everyone cares about sound, but many do. I was ready to give up HDR for Atmos. Luckily I worked the bugs out of my system so I don't have to choose.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tech Geek View Post
I looked for a surround sound option in settings and nada zilch zip. Disney Plus is advertising 4k and atmos support, but no where to set that in the menus.

The app is installed on my 2018 FireTV Cube and all my other streaming content (Netflix, Kodi, Prime Video, CBS All Access, etc) is in surround sound.

Is anyone else experiencing this?

Or did I miss something?
Yeah this thread and pretty much every thread about Disney+.

There are no "settings" in the app really, any particular title should just be available at the highest level of sound and picture that is offered for that title and the limit of your system.
I'm getting 5.1 on most everything. Including BOTH "Lady And The Tramp" movies.
Most of the streaming services work this way.
Sask HT likes this.

Last edited by NTTD; 11-15-2019 at 07:19 AM.
post #171 of 298 Old 11-15-2019, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMOSteel View Post
I am going to reach out for more information at http://help.disneyplus.com
That's not going so well currently

I was going to chat with them try to nail them down on an ETA for Atmos and for what systems.

Will have to try later.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Annotation 2019-11-15 062130.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	15.2 KB
ID:	2641424  
Robbie Racer and Sask HT like this.
post #172 of 298 Old 11-15-2019, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NTTD View Post
What series, Star Wars?
I'm watching "A New Hope" and it's the best I've ever seen (and heard) it. Cant wait for Atmos.
I haven't tried the movies yet, just the Star Wars TV show. The TV show the blacks look elevated and the sound quality isn't very good. Not sure if that's something settings wise, but, no other TV shows are doing that for me. I'm going to have to investigate further.
post #173 of 298 Old 11-15-2019, 10:25 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
The mandalorian wasn't in atmos.
When i look at details under Mandalorian on Fire TV stick, it does not specify Atmos, only says 5.1 so I wouldnt expect that one to be in Atmos.

I dont know if that's consistent with what others are seeing.

That said, Atmos is still not working for me on any of my devices.
post #174 of 298 Old 11-15-2019, 10:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 338 Post(s)
Liked: 128
Watch those movies before they are gone

Quote:
A report by ComicBook.com points out that some Disney Plus users have already trawled the service's meta-date to find out when certain properties will expire. While some classics like Aladdin will expire in 3001 (AKA long after the world has been destroyed by nuclear holocaust), others will expire before Skynet takes over. One title, Princess and the Frog, appears to expire much sooner, apparently leaving on November 25.
https://www.gamesradar.com/disney-pl...tes-downloads/
post #175 of 298 Old 11-15-2019, 10:57 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 565 Post(s)
Liked: 516
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyross63 View Post
I don't understand how their own content could expire from their own service. Did they promise it to someone else afterwards? They said they weren't doing The Vault silliness anymore so I think that's just people misinterpreting something.

BTW if you go to the Details tab it shows you all the formats a program is available in regardless of the capabilities of your device. The Mandalorian only shows 5.1.
archer75 and SinGA like this.

Media: LG 88" 8K OLED Z9 / Denon AVR-X8500H 7.1.4 / Oppo UDP-203 / Nvidia SHIELD (2017) / Apple TV 4K / Sony 4K FMP-X10 / Gaming PC (Threadripper 1950X / 2x GeForce GTX 1080 Ti SLI) / PlayStation 4 Pro with PS VR / PlayStation (original)
Family: Sony 85" 4K XBR-85X900F / Denon AVR-X3400H 5.1 / Nvidia SHIELD (2017) / Apple TV 4K / C64 Mini - Game: LG 77" 4K OLED C8 / Denon AVR-X3400H 5.1 / Nvidia SHIELD (2017) / Apple TV 4K
post #176 of 298 Old 11-15-2019, 11:02 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 406 Post(s)
Liked: 118
LG OLED TV Playing Disney+ 4K materials issue update:

The problem has been resolved.

Unplug the TV, hold the power button for 30 seconds, plug the TV back, turn on the TV /Disney app.
tomanystraydogs likes this.

Audio: 5.1 Martin Logan Summit X (Front), ML Stage (Center), ML Script i (Surround), Paradigm Seismic 110 (Subwoofer), Emotiva XMC-1 (Processor), Anthem P5 (Amplifier)
Video: LG OLED65E6, Oppo-103, Zidoo X9S (Media Player), Darbee (Video Processor)
post #177 of 298 Old 11-15-2019, 11:08 AM

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 6649 Post(s)
Liked: 6469
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantc View Post
I don't understand how their own content could expire from their own service. Did they promise it to someone else afterwards? They said they weren't doing The Vault silliness anymore so I think that's just people misinterpreting something.

BTW if you go to the Details tab it shows you all the formats a program is available in regardless of the capabilities of your device. The Mandalorian only shows 5.1.

These dates are probably arbitrary and found by someone snooping the code. I wouldn’t take much into anything, but it seems some sites are running with the story as it will generate clicks.
post #178 of 298 Old 11-15-2019, 11:10 AM

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharok View Post

Unplug the TV, hold the power button for 30 seconds, plug the TV back, turn on the TV /Disney app.
Will this solve the 2.0 audio issue?
Sask HT likes this.
post #179 of 298 Old 11-15-2019, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SinGA View Post
That said, Atmos is still not working for me on any of my devices.
^^^ Same.

I also discovered last night I cannot cast Disney+ to my "Chromecast Built In" Vizio E series TV.
Get some kind of error like "not compatible with this Chromecast device".

So that's nice.
I've used several services that do not have an app on the Vizio but can cast.
This is the first time I've ever seen this error.
post #180 of 298 Old 11-15-2019, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharok View Post

Which problem is this resolving?

I have the content playing in Dolby Vision, it's the sound that is the issue. Only stereo 2.0 sound.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Video Download Services & Hardware

Tags
appletv 4k , Disney , disney+ , dolby atmos , Star Wars , uhd 4k

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page