Disney+ - The Mouse Strikes Back Discussion Thread - Page 9 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 98Likes

post #241 of 297 Old 11-18-2019, 05:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 713 Post(s)
Liked: 266
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteboy714 View Post
I haven't had that issue on a Roku TV, 4k/HDR works and looks great.

Thanks, I chalk it up to teething problems with the Roku app,I will try next time I fire up the projector. I have a rather complicated setup, 3 4k displays running off of a 2 output avr. I split the non arc to the other displays, a JVC projector and a cheap vizio over the refrigerator, it was the only 4k set that would fit! The arc goes to an LG b7 and I haven't tried it yet, nor installed the app for the tv.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #242 of 297 Old 11-18-2019, 06:23 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 3373 Post(s)
Liked: 2225
Finally got Disney + over here in Aus, not too bad. Definitely nothing too get exited about. Watched a bit of that mandalorian, didn’t think it was anything special.
I thought Avatar was in 4K as well but it’s not. Oh well the only good thing atm is the 29 seasons of Simpson’s at our fingertips.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

God Bless!
Equipment: Bose Soundbar; 1951 Philco Model 50-T701 Black and White tabletop TV;Projection :HANIMEX ZOOM 8 MM PROJECTOR
post #243 of 297 Old 11-18-2019, 07:03 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Anyone having issues with sound cutting off? Both mandalorian episodes cut out some sound, Funny thing is that i watch other shows on the app and they seem to be working fine.

Streaming with my xbox one x, into a yamaha reciever then out to my samsung FNQ8
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #244 of 297 Old 11-19-2019, 05:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by James209 View Post
Anyone having issues with sound cutting off? Both mandalorian episodes cut out some sound, Funny thing is that i watch other shows on the app and they seem to be working fine.

Streaming with my xbox one x, into a yamaha reciever then out to my samsung FNQ8

Cut out in what way? I was watching "The Empire Strikes Back" and there were momentary glitches every 5 minutes or so, it got lower and came right back. That was on the 4k version using a fire tv to stream.
post #245 of 297 Old 11-19-2019, 09:14 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I cant even see what HD Disney playing at as when hit display on remote just takes me to language. Sony 900f. Doesnt even hdr on input but Netflix and prime does. U guys able to select what format u watch or does Disney just go to best available?
post #246 of 297 Old 11-19-2019, 11:07 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregoryperkins View Post
Cut out in what way? I was watching "The Empire Strikes Back" and there were momentary glitches every 5 minutes or so, it got lower and came right back. That was on the 4k version using a fire tv to stream.
On mine while watching an episode the sound cuts out completly, while the picture on the TV is playing then the sound comes back and cuts out every so often.
post #247 of 297 Old 11-19-2019, 03:15 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 406 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sask HT View Post
Just got the update on the app for my LG OLED TV. The sound is still 2 channel stereo. Update did nothing.

The sound is the only problem I've had. Dolby Vision and 4K look great. Sound is ****ty.

I have a high speed fibre optic connection hard wired to my TV. Streaming of any kind works great. Just need Disney to fix the sound issue now.

How did you get the update?

Does it update automatically or did you need to remove and reinstall the app on your LG?

Audio: 5.1 Martin Logan Summit X (Front), ML Stage (Center), ML Script i (Surround), Paradigm Seismic 110 (Subwoofer), Emotiva XMC-1 (Processor), Anthem P5 (Amplifier)
Video: LG OLED65E6, Oppo-103, Zidoo X9S (Media Player), Darbee (Video Processor)
post #248 of 297 Old 11-19-2019, 04:11 PM

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Thumbs down Did Disney Plus kill 4k/DV and HDR on Android ?

I have a 4k Sony Television and was streaming 4k, Dolby Vision and HDR all week during the Disney+ free trial. Apparently Saturday there was an update and I can no longer get any of those features. (Ican't say for sure there was an update because I never checked the original firmware version when I installed it. This is what I've seen a few others report). At least a couple of Sony tv owners and I believe one person with a Hisense or LG - I forget which, but also an Android system regardles, has reported the same thing.

An Apple tv user reported their Apple TV is still working but running version 1.1.6. My Sony still displays 1.1.4. I suppose 1.1.6 could be strictly an Apple TV update. On the other hand maybe we are waiting for a rollout I see no options anywhere to update the software.

I went to the help page for but at the bottom where they indicate they are there 24 hrs a day with live support but when I select country and language nothing happens. Hit the Disney+ Icon above it and it takes you back to the home page. Frustrating.

I know others are having this problem. Has anyone gotten any answers from Disney support regarding this issue?
post #249 of 297 Old 11-19-2019, 05:04 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharok View Post

Does it update automatically or did you need to remove and reinstall the app on your LG?
On my LG (86UH9500) it notifies you of an update the moment you go to launch it (just like with other app updates). Same here, update did nothing visible, and I am still without 5.1 audio as well as without 4K (HD only).

Oh, and good luck contacting Disney+ at all now - they have removed all options to contact them from the site (they had already greyed out "email us"). What's funny is they left the "We are available for live support from 24 hours a day seven days a week". Really?
post #250 of 297 Old 11-19-2019, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMOSteel View Post
On my LG (86UH9500) it notifies you of an update the moment you go to launch it (just like with other app updates). Same here, update did nothing visible, and I am still without 5.1 audio as well as without 4K (HD only).

Oh, and good luck contacting Disney+ at all now - they have removed all options to contact them from the site (they had already greyed out "email us"). What's funny is they left the "We are available for live support from 24 hours a day seven days a week". Really?
That's why my finger is on the cancel button. I would think they are working hard to rectify the situation but the fact that they removed the contact options is a real FU! BAD CALL DISNEY.
TMOSteel likes this.
post #251 of 297 Old 11-19-2019, 07:13 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Its back now (support info) but email is still grayed out. Actually got through to someone after 1+ hour on hold, provided info on the LG issues I and others are having, gave various model #'s and what each issue was (4K no 5.1, HD no 4K 2.0 no 5.1 etc). Seems they don't have a structured support system in place - they don't give you a ticket #, note your account, or have a formal means of following up on your issue and letting you know its been resolved.

Clearly, the Mouse House was not ready to launch a streaming service, and, I am really, really surprised they are doing such a poor job of providing support. They have so many other divisions and lines of service already in place for all their other properties, it just doesn't make sense.

Somebody, somewhere, needs to either get terminated, or moved off of the grill or fry duty, and demoted to cleaning out the shake machine.
Sask HT likes this.
post #252 of 297 Old 11-19-2019, 10:24 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked: 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharok View Post

When I clicked on the app it said an update was available and I updated it.

LG OLED65B7, LG UP970, Yamaha RXA770, Polk S55's, Polk S35, Polk S15's, KEF Ci160ER's, Dual SVS PB-1000's
post #253 of 297 Old 11-20-2019, 06:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 338 Post(s)
Liked: 126
Quote:
Speaking at ReCode’s Code Media conference in Los Angeles yesterday, Disney direct-to-consumer chairman Kevin Mayer said of the launch-day issues: “It had to do with the way we architected the app. It was not Amazon.”

The revelation comes despite Disney previously saying it was prepared for a large launch day. The company is now rolling out fixes, which includes addressing other glitches, and a re-architected version of the app will be available in a week or two.
https://www.techspot.com/news/82851-...-problems.html
post #254 of 297 Old 11-20-2019, 08:59 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 553 Post(s)
Liked: 141
Not sure if this is the best forum this as I am not 100% sure it's a Disney plus issue. (Or an issue with my display, AVR, etc.) Plus I am not even sure it really is an issue! or if this is "Just the way it is."

Last night when I was choosing a show to watch on D+. when I hit enter to play it, my LG C8 would go blank for a second like it was switching to another input or like it does when it's switching to HDR or something along those lines.

The thing is, I have my Apple TV set to 4K SDR output with Match Frame rate and Range on. The show I was watching was standard HD. So I don't know why it was "Switching" as it didn't need to switch to anything. I checked a few other apps on my Apple TV and none of them did this behavior. If I play SD content on another app, the content just plays. It doesn't cause the display to lose signal momentarily.

I'm using an Apple TV 4K on an LG C8 going through a Denon X4400H. Is this just an issue with the Disney+ app?
post #255 of 297 Old 11-20-2019, 09:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 212
I tried Disney+ for the free week trial. Decided to cancel because no ATMOS audio when using the app on my LG C8. Also wasn't happy about not being able to restart the movie or program where I left off. Hopefully they will get this fixed in the future but for now I'm not going to pay for a service that isn't ready for Prime Time, IMO. The Dolby Vision looked good but no ATMOS sound doesn't cut it for me. The worst part was when I went to cancel, lo and behold, no way to cancel. Only option was to bundle something else for more money. Had to call and use the on-line chat which took an hour and half to finally reach somebody. Hopefully others will have better luck than I did.
Robbie Racer and SinGA like this.

HT Setup: Speakers - M&K S-5000 Monitors FL-C-FR-RL-RR on ST-1 titling stands - M&K 4X M7 surround speakers - Atmos speakers 4X M&K M5's - 2x M&K MX-350 Mk II Subs
Processor - Marantz 8805 - B&K 7270 THX 7 Channel Amp - Denon AVR 4810CI - Oppo BDP-103+203 - QNAP TVS-863+ Turbo NAS 64TB - QNAP TR-004 32TB - LG OLED 65" C8

Last edited by JJHXBR; 11-20-2019 at 09:29 AM.
post #256 of 297 Old 11-20-2019, 01:26 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeSoFl View Post
Any idea if Disney is working on correcting this?
See this article:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.dig...roblems/%3famp

Perhaps something similar is going on for DV.

Sent from my GM1915 using Tapatalk
post #257 of 297 Old 11-20-2019, 02:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 5539 Post(s)
Liked: 3939
Have no issue with Dolby Vision on my tv's internal app or the Fire Cube 2. However, on my 2019 Nvidia shield, it plays for a mintue, then fails, and an error message pops up saying it can not play at this time and to call Disney.
post #258 of 297 Old 11-20-2019, 03:10 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJHXBR View Post
I tried Disney+ for the free week trial. Decided to cancel because no ATMOS audio when using the app on my LG C8. Also wasn't happy about not being able to restart the movie or program where I left off. Hopefully they will get this fixed in the future but for now I'm not going to pay for a service that isn't ready for Prime Time, IMO. The Dolby Vision looked good but no ATMOS sound doesn't cut it for me. The worst part was when I went to cancel, lo and behold, no way to cancel. Only option was to bundle something else for more money. Had to call and use the on-line chat which took an hour and half to finally reach somebody. Hopefully others will have better luck than I did.
I cancelled the free trial by logging into Disney+ on a PC web browser - there's an account management screen that lets you cancel. I listed the reason as no Dolby Atmos.
post #259 of 297 Old 11-20-2019, 03:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by bullwinklehdtv View Post
I cancelled the free trial by logging into Disney+ on a PC web browser - there's an account management screen that lets you cancel. I listed the reason as no Dolby Atmos.
I logged into Disney + on my PC web browser and went to the account management screen. There was NO option to cancel. Nothing. I followed and read the directions throughly. There was suppose to be a cancel option. That's why I ended up having to call. Not good.

HT Setup: Speakers - M&K S-5000 Monitors FL-C-FR-RL-RR on ST-1 titling stands - M&K 4X M7 surround speakers - Atmos speakers 4X M&K M5's - 2x M&K MX-350 Mk II Subs
Processor - Marantz 8805 - B&K 7270 THX 7 Channel Amp - Denon AVR 4810CI - Oppo BDP-103+203 - QNAP TVS-863+ Turbo NAS 64TB - QNAP TR-004 32TB - LG OLED 65" C8
post #260 of 297 Old 11-20-2019, 03:33 PM

Thumbs up Looks like they fixed HDR on Android - mine at least

This appears to have been corrected - at least in regard to me and my Sony XBR 930e on Android. 4k/DV/HDR are back. I'd hoped it would be a quick fix when I decided not to cancel yesterday and let it run for a month. Now I can figure out what I'm going to binge on tonight. Firmware versions still read 1.1.4 so it must have been a patch on the other end of the pipe.
post #261 of 297 Old 11-20-2019, 03:39 PM

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJHXBR View Post
Also wasn't happy about not being able to restart the movie or program where I left off.

I discovered this last night and was disappointed. It also does not automatically select the next unwatched episode in a TV series like other streaming platforms do.

This functionality is bare bones, I would have thought, and since virtually all the other platforms offer it, it seems curious for Disney+ to have omitted it.
post #262 of 297 Old 11-20-2019, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orange_GT3 View Post
I discovered this last night and was disappointed. It also does not automatically select the next unwatched episode in a TV series like other streaming platforms do.

This functionality is bare bones, I would have thought, and since virtually all the other platforms offer it, it seems curious for Disney+ to have omitted it.
Though I've had other problems this isn't one of them. When I select a movie, on the title page I have the option to resume or start at the beginning. Not sure about the series as I haven't watched one yet. This is on an Android based Sony TV.
post #263 of 297 Old 11-20-2019, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artzilla View Post
Though I've had other problems this isn't one of them. When I select a movie, on the title page I have the option to resume or start at the beginning. Not sure about the series as I haven't watched one yet. This is on an Android based Sony TV.

Good to know. I'll test again this evening. I have a webOS LG TV.
post #264 of 297 Old 11-20-2019, 06:18 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 6626 Post(s)
Liked: 6440
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artzilla View Post

The update for that was rolled out today and is/should be available on other devices now as well (it was for my ATV4K).
post #265 of 297 Old 11-24-2019, 10:22 AM

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Epedemic View Post
On FireTV stick 4K it can be done via a debug menu. The DD+ for me is a dissapointing 256kbps.... I do hope they will fix the Atmos, which will hopefully be higher bitrate too..
At least you can receive DD+. On the non 4K Firestick, it' only in 2 channel stereo. Spent over 90 minutes to get with someone to find out if this is a known problem and the bottom line is that this issue will be forwarded to ?????
post #266 of 297 Old 11-24-2019, 04:47 PM

The LG WebOS app is now resuming and selecting the the first unread episode in a series. Phew - basic functionality restored/added.
post #267 of 297 Old 11-24-2019, 11:55 PM

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I'm rather conflicted about Disney+. The dvd versions of Star Wars Ep3 and Ep2 sounded better than their streaming counterparts. I tried all versions on an SVS PB12 NSD set at 2pm gain with the receiver at -15db. The streaming versions lacked the "pop" sound at the beginning of Ep3 and the room shaking effect of the ships entering the planet on Ep2's first scene. With the same configuration, I can hear the noise outside the house with all windows and doors closed while playing the final battle on the dvd version of Ep2, but the streaming version is quite muted.

I'll try to dig my OT dvds and compare them to their Disney+ equivalent.

In any case the newer movies look great on Dolby Vision.
post #268 of 297 Old 11-25-2019, 04:45 AM

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by otlbum View Post
At least you can receive DD+. On the non 4K Firestick, it' only in 2 channel stereo. Spent over 90 minutes to get with someone to find out if this is a known problem and the bottom line is that this issue will be forwarded to ?????
This is a known issue an Disney claims they are "working on it"
post #269 of 297 Old 11-25-2019, 12:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardcrusher View Post
I'm rather conflicted about Disney+. The dvd versions of Star Wars Ep3 and Ep2 sounded better than their streaming counterparts. I tried all versions on an SVS PB12 NSD set at 2pm gain with the receiver at -15db. The streaming versions lacked the "pop" sound at the beginning of Ep3 and the room shaking effect of the ships entering the planet on Ep2's first scene. With the same configuration, I can hear the noise outside the house with all windows and doors closed while playing the final battle on the dvd version of Ep2, but the streaming version is quite muted.

I'll try to dig my OT dvds and compare them to their Disney+ equivalent.

In any case the newer movies look great on Dolby Vision.
Yeah, you really can't compare different inputs using the same relative volume. Form me on my Denon x6400, my Tivo is generally at -20 or so, but movies are generally -5 bd and streaming.

My receiver controls the sub, but yours may not, so the 2pm gain doesn't mean much. I also have 2 nsd and I think it's closer to 10.
post #270 of 297 Old 11-25-2019, 04:57 PM

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregoryperkins View Post
Yeah, you really can't compare different inputs using the same relative volume. Form me on my Denon x6400, my Tivo is generally at -20 or so, but movies are generally -5 bd and streaming.

My receiver controls the sub, but yours may not, so the 2pm gain doesn't mean much. I also have 2 nsd and I think it's closer to 10.
I kind of get what you're saying with my inability to level match due to not having an spl meter. Nevertheless, for practical purposes, the consumer should. With the way studios and tech companies are pushing streaming, it's fair to compare them to their physical counterparts in determining if they hold up (*cough* Hulu, 2.1 audio, lack of 4k *cough*)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Video Download Services & Hardware

Tags
appletv 4k , Disney , disney+ , dolby atmos , Star Wars , uhd 4k

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page