• 1 Post By rennyrb

post #1 of 7 Old 12-08-2019, 01:22 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2500 Post(s)
Liked: 2182
Hulu 4K Surround and Roku

So Hulu just added 4K support and 5.1 audio for Roku devices and TVs. I have a TCL 55" Roku TV but am not getting 5.1 audio. This rollout just got announced on Thursday or Friday so nothing much at least yesterday on the Roku support forum. I have 5.1 and 4K via Nvidia Shield TV which is not on Hulu's list but figure the Shield is using the Chromecast Ultra stream for 4K.

What Roku users here are seeing 4K and hearing 5.1 on Hulu? TV or device? It would be nice if they added the resolution currently streamed on the player like Amazon does on some devices.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 12-17-2019, 02:02 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 9
I just tried this with a Streaming Stick, Model 3800X (the latest 1080P model), and got no 5.1.

I checked both Shark Tank and Catch-22 and was only getting 2.0 on the Roku; switched to my trusty 2nd-gen Chromecast and was able to get Dolby Digital Plus 5.1 from both programs.
Tried checking for updates on the Roku (running 9.2.0) and the Hulu app, restarting the Roku, and still nothing changed.

Guess I will keep using the Chromecast to stream Hulu for now... would be nice to be able to just use the Roku for everything, but I guess that will have to be another day.
post #3 of 7 Old 12-18-2019, 06:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 353 Post(s)
Liked: 135
On the Roku, while playing a Hulu video, have you tried hitting the "*" key to show the audio/CC menu? You may need to scroll through the audio options, if it's available. On CBS All Access, I often have to do that to select DD+.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 12-18-2019, 10:17 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2500 Post(s)
Liked: 2182
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyross63 View Post
On the Roku, while playing a Hulu video, have you tried hitting the "*" key to show the audio/CC menu? You may need to scroll through the audio options, if it's available. On CBS All Access, I often have to do that to select DD+.
I've done that and haven't seen any DD+ option. One the Nvidia Shield TV it automatically goes to DD+ if available for the content.
post #5 of 7 Old 12-18-2019, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyross63 View Post

I've also tried it and no luck.
Clicking on my profile in Hulu and then "about" shows my device information and it lists the 5.1 connection and eac-3 codec, so my Hulu app is aware that the Roku is connected to a surround receiver, but still only getting stereo output from different programs.

I'll keep using the Chromecast for Hulu and just wait and see if they fix it eventually.
post #6 of 7 Old 01-26-2020, 02:52 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I have Hulu plus live on a new TCL 6 series tv. Should I be getting surround sound on the live channels? I get no rear channel sound when using Hulu on the built in TV apps. If I switch over to my Apple TV 4K and watch Hulu I do get rear channel sound. I'm using a new Samsung Q80R Dolby Atmos soundbar with the wireless rear speakers.

Last edited by dean1955; 01-26-2020 at 02:56 AM.
post #7 of 7 Old 01-27-2020, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean1955 View Post
I have Hulu plus live on a new TCL 6 series tv. Should I be getting surround sound on the live channels? I get no rear channel sound when using Hulu on the built in TV apps. If I switch over to my Apple TV 4K and watch Hulu I do get rear channel sound. I'm using a new Samsung Q80R Dolby Atmos soundbar with the wireless rear speakers.
Hulu Live TV is in only output in stereo, unfortunately.

It's unclear if the Roku TV will output Hulu content (originals, network shows, and movies) in 5.1 since they don't specify. Some 4K Roku devices support 5.1 sound but seems like not the Live TV.

The Apple TV does NOT support 5.1 sound with Hulu, which is annoying since it is one of two devices that CAN do 1080p/60fps with the Live TV package...

Their technology is a mess, honestly.

More about sound quality: https://help.hulu.com/s/article/soun...language=en_US
More about video quality:https://help.hulu.com/s/article/vide...language=en_US

If you're getting sound from the rear speakers with the Apple TV on Hulu, and your Apple TV is connected directly to the soundbar, it may be because the input for the Apple TV is set to a surround up mix mode, like Dolby Pro Logic II or something similar.
dean1955 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Video Download Services & Hardware

Tags
4k uhd , 5.1 audio , Hulu , Roku

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page