Subtitle oddity with Amazon Prime video - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By Brian Conrad
  • 1 Post By LG8600User

post #1 of 30 Old 01-01-2020, 01:46 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Subtitle oddity with Amazon Prime video

I am talking about the subtitles you get in shows like Jack Ryan, that are only on-screen during the foreign language sections, and disappear when English is being used by the actors.

Sometimes these fail to appear. As these shows rely on you being able to understand long scenes in foreign languages, it is important to have the subtitles pop-up. Not sure yet, but it might be after I have paused the show and continued watching later, that they fail to appear. Also not sure, but last night, going into the Android app while it was playing to my TV via Chromecast, and explicitly setting the Language setting to English, seemed to make them start appearing again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 Old 01-02-2020, 01:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2500 Post(s)
Liked: 2182
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssaddict View Post
I am talking about the subtitles you get in shows like Jack Ryan, that are only on-screen during the foreign language sections, and disappear when English is being used by the actors.

Sometimes these fail to appear. As these shows rely on you being able to understand long scenes in foreign languages, it is important to have the subtitles pop-up. Not sure yet, but it might be after I have paused the show and continued watching later, that they fail to appear. Also not sure, but last night, going into the Android app while it was playing to my TV via Chromecast, and explicitly setting the Language setting to English, seemed to make them start appearing again.
On my Roku TV I note that Amazon will show subtitles if you set them (unless burned in the film originally). Turning them on would leave them on for shows in English too so I would have to stop and turn them off. Then I noted with Roku I could just turn them on and off from the "*" setting button. Seems that just setting a bit that you want that show with subtitles is beyond Amazon's development budget.
post #3 of 30 Old 01-02-2020, 02:31 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Conrad View Post
On my Roku TV I note that Amazon will show subtitles if you set them (unless burned in the film originally). Turning them on would leave them on for shows in English too so I would have to stop and turn them off. Then I noted with Roku I could just turn them on and off from the "*" setting button. Seems that just setting a bit that you want that show with subtitles is beyond Amazon's development budget.
It has that ability, but I am not talking about subtitled throughout the movie, just in the sections that are not recorded with the same language as set. For example, I set the audio I want to hear as English, then when they speak a foreign language, you get a subtitle popping up. That works most of the time using Amazon's prime Video app, but sometimes it decides not to work. That's my problem.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 30 Old 01-02-2020, 03:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
It has that ability, but I am not talking about subtitled throughout the movie, just in the sections that are not recorded with the same language as set. For example, I set the audio I want to hear as English, then when they speak a foreign language, you get a subtitle popping up. That works most of the time using Amazon's prime Video app, but sometimes it decides not to work. That's my problem.
And you had subtitles on? That is probably more from the production end at the providing studio.

What I am saying it's more like Amazon doesn't save your setting just for the show but for Amazon period. So you go to an English speaking show and get closed captions that are for the hearing impaired which include symbols for music playing and sounds. So you turn CC off. That shouldn't stick for the next show you watch or return to that has subtitles. It doesn't on Netflix for example. It's a bug though more of an oversight or omission and needs to be fixed. There's a lot I don't like about Amazon's "cheap" player. It needs thumbnails for example so you can skip ahead, etc. It's also inconsistent between platforms. On my Sony UHD player and Shield TV the player tells you the current resolution being played but that is not on the player on Roku. The Sony UHD player also has the "skip intro" and "skip title" options on Amazon that Netflix also has but is not on the other platforms.
post #5 of 30 Old 01-02-2020, 03:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1220 Post(s)
Liked: 782
Quote:
Watched Jack Ryan, both seasons and never had that issue with my Roku plus player. Sounds like there may be an issue with your player's Amazon interface.

Ian

The best way to succeed in life is to act on the advice you give to others

Last edited by mailiang; 01-02-2020 at 03:29 PM.
post #6 of 30 Old 01-02-2020, 03:33 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mailiang View Post
Watched Jack Ryan, both seasons and never had that issue with my Roku plus player. Sounds like there may be an issue with your player's Amazon interface.

Ian

That series is a good example. All the foreign speaking bits should pop-up translation subtitles. Occasionally they fail to pop up.

My player is Amazon's own app on an Android tablet, casting to a Chromecast. I think it forgets it's main language setting, and setting that to English explicitly seems to fix the problem.
post #7 of 30 Old 01-02-2020, 03:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
And you had subtitles on? That is probably more from the production end at the providing studio.

What I am saying it's more like Amazon doesn't save your setting just for the show but for Amazon period. So you go to an English speaking show and get closed captions that are for the hearing impaired which include symbols for music playing and sounds. So you turn CC off. That shouldn't stick for the next show you watch or return to that has subtitles. It doesn't on Netflix for example. It's a bug though more of an oversight or omission and needs to be fixed. There's a lot I don't like about Amazon's "cheap" player. It needs thumbnails for example so you can skip ahead, etc. It's also inconsistent between platforms. On my Sony UHD player and Shield TV the player tells you the current resolution being played but that is not on the player on Roku. The Sony UHD player also has the "skip intro" and "skip title" options on Amazon that Netflix also has but is not on the other platforms.

This is a bit off topic. My new Roku Plus Player's no longer offer the Netflix resolution debug. The * key is now used for optional audio functions.

Ian

post #8 of 30 Old 01-02-2020, 04:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
This is a bit off topic. My new Roku Plus Player's no longer offer the Netflix resolution debug. The * key is now used for optional audio functions.
Ian
The * key usually does that and I found you had to get the timing just right to get the debug menu or you got the optional Roku settings (should be more than just audio). You need to hit the key right before you start a show.
post #9 of 30 Old 01-02-2020, 06:12 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked: 265
Quote:
The * key usually does that and I found you had to get the timing just right to get the debug menu or you got the optional Roku settings (should be more than just audio). You need to hit the key right before you start a show.

You can double-press/double-click the * key in the show/movies detail screen to enable/disable the info/stats reliably (the show/movie doesnt need to be loading, you just need to be on the details screen of the show/movie).
post #10 of 30 Old 01-03-2020, 08:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LG8600User View Post
You can double-press/double-click the * key in the show/movies detail screen to enable/disable the info/stats reliably (the show/movie doesnt need to be loading, you just need to be on the details screen of the show/movie).
That just turns on the closed caption audio format on the Roku stick plus.

Ian

post #11 of 30 Old 01-03-2020, 10:54 PM

Quote:
That just turns on the closed caption audio format on the Roku stick plus.

Ian

No, it turns on/off the info/stats during streaming/playback.

You need to re-read the directions carefully - this is not done during playback (the stream isnt loading or playing). Its done on/in the show/movie details page (the page before the actual streaming video, that provides details such as name/year/match%/resolution/audio output/cast/category/etc).

On the details page, double-press/click the * button - then play/resume (info/stats will show). To turn off, go back to the details page, double-press/click * again - then play/resume.
post #12 of 30 Old 01-04-2020, 12:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
No, it turns on/off the info/stats during streaming/playback.

You need to re-read the directions carefully - this is not done during playback (the stream isnt loading or playing). Its done on/in the show/movie details page (the page before the actual streaming video, that provides details such as name/year/match%/resolution/audio output/cast/category/etc).

On the details page, double-press/click the * button - then play/resume (info/stats will show). To turn off, go back to the details page, double-press/click * again - then play/resume.
Did that. Goes to the audio menu, clicks on and off. Double click when streaming, opens closed caption. No more no less. (Took a picture. Sorry, was fine in preview, but turned upside down after this post was saved. May be due to landscape mode.) Thanks for your input.

Ian
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200104_145359 - Copy.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	1,009.3 KB
ID:	2664224  

Last edited by mailiang; 01-04-2020 at 01:20 PM.
post #13 of 30 Old 01-04-2020, 12:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Having dropped Netflix a few months back I don't know what it is currently doing on Roku but I doubt if things have changed. Yes, you press the * key when on the show description. But I found it didn't always work. It may work differently on different Roku devices but I doubt that as you really want to avoid a plethora of different app builds for different devices especially for options like this. The smart thing to do (which sometimes can't be done due to iterative development or the compiler used) is to have one codebase and build options which turn off and on features relative to the model of the device you are building.
post #14 of 30 Old 01-04-2020, 01:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Having dropped Netflix a few months back I don't know what it is currently doing on Roku but I doubt if things have changed. Yes, you press the * key when on the show description. But I found it didn't always work. It may work differently on different Roku devices but I doubt that as you really want to avoid a plethora of different app builds for different devices especially for options like this. The smart thing to do (which sometimes can't be done due to iterative development or the compiler used) is to have one codebase and build options which turn off and on features relative to the model of the device you are building.
Now you can tell me why my thumbnail is upside down. The file was correct until I hit save to post.

Ian

Last edited by mailiang; 01-04-2020 at 01:14 PM.
post #15 of 30 Old 01-04-2020, 01:59 PM - Thread Starter

Well all that aside, what I was talking about is NOT just turning on subtitles for everything. That works, but you aren't supposed to have to do that when the soundtrack is English and you just want to understand the foreign language spoken sections, in shows like Jack Ryan.

I have found that when the translations for the foreign bits go missing, I stop playback, disconnect from the chromecast and close the Android app on my tablet, then restart it, reconnect to chromecast, then play the show again. Magically, it now works, and when they speak a foreign language, subtitiles pop up.

I think it's a bug that is triggered when the Prime Video app is running and the tablet goes into sleep mode - or you switch away from the app to a different one on the tablet, or something like that.

Last edited by ssaddict; 01-04-2020 at 02:06 PM.
post #16 of 30 Old 01-04-2020, 03:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Well all that aside, what I was talking about is NOT just turning on subtitles for everything. That works, but you aren't supposed to have to do that when the soundtrack is English and you just want to understand the foreign language spoken sections, in shows like Jack Ryan.

I have found that when the translations for the foreign bits go missing, I stop playback, disconnect from the chromecast and close the Android app on my tablet, then restart it, reconnect to chromecast, then play the show again. Magically, it now works, and when they speak a foreign language, subtitiles pop up.

I think it's a bug that is triggered when the Prime Video app is running and the tablet goes into sleep mode - or you switch away from the app to a different one on the tablet, or something like that.

Sorry, my conversation was about my Roku and the Netflix debug function, and not Amazon subtitles. Didn't mean to hy-jack your thread.

Ian

post #17 of 30 Old 01-04-2020, 03:30 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Sorry, but this conversation was about my Roku and the Netflix debug function, not Amazon subtitles.

Ian
Strange, I see " Subtitle oddity with Amazon Prime video " as the thread title.
post #18 of 30 Old 01-04-2020, 03:31 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Didn't mean to hy-jack your thread.

Ian
aah I see your edit. No probs
post #19 of 30 Old 01-04-2020, 03:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Strange, I see " Subtitle oddity with Amazon Prime video " as the thread title.
See my edit while you were typing.

Ian

post #20 of 30 Old 01-04-2020, 03:33 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Check out Fauda on Netflix. Foreign dialogue is captioned. Look away for a moment and you are lost.

I love this HD stuff!
post #21 of 30 Old 01-04-2020, 03:40 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lastplace View Post
Check out Fauda on Netflix. Foreign dialogue is captioned..
That's how it should work, and does on Prime - when it isn't playing up.
post #22 of 30 Old 01-04-2020, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Did that. Goes to the audio menu, clicks on and off. Double click when streaming, opens closed caption. No more no less. (Took a picture. Sorry, was fine in preview, but turned upside down after this post was saved. May be due to landscape mode.) Thanks for your input.

Ian

Apparently you enabled the shortcut to the Audio Guide: Settings/Accessibility/(under Audio Guide)Shortcut - set to "disabled"

Then follow the double-press/click instructions.
post #23 of 30 Old 01-04-2020, 08:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Apparently you enabled the shortcut to the Audio Guide: Settings/Accessibility/(under Audio Guide)Shortcut - set to "disabled"

Then follow the double-press/click instructions.
Tried that and no change. It seems that function has been eliminated on the new plus. Since my Roku Plus download speeds average close to 100 mbps I can live without that function. I also can view it on my older 3600R which averages over 60 mbps. Thanks again.

Ian

post #24 of 30 Old 01-05-2020, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Tried that and no change. It seems that function has been eliminated on the new plus. Since my Roku Plus download speeds average close to 100 mbps I can live without that function. I also can view it on my older 3600R which averages over 60 mbps. Thanks again.

Ian
No, it hasn't - works the same on all models going back several years - including the SS+ 2017 (3810) and the SS+ 2019 (3810R), both of which I own.

You should have firmware version 9.2.0-4806 on it, and NetFlix version 5.0.81179037.

Again, check to make sure the audio guide is off, the shortcut to it is disabled, and that you are doing it (double-press *, then play/resume) on the show/movie details page - not when its playing.

If you have some "extra" or "hidden" channels (apps) installed, might want to remove them, as well as reboot/restart (if you havent done that in while), and otherwise you might try a factory reset.
post #25 of 30 Old 01-05-2020, 11:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Lightbulb

Quote:
No, it hasn't - works the same on all models going back several years - including the SS+ 2017 (3810) and the SS+ 2019 (3810R), both of which I own.

You should have firmware version 9.2.0-4806 on it, and NetFlix version 5.0.81179037.

Again, check to make sure the audio guide is off, the shortcut to it is disabled, and that you are doing it (double-press *, then play/resume) on the show/movie details page - not when its playing.

If you have some "extra" or "hidden" channels (apps) installed, might want to remove them, as well as reboot/restart (if you havent done that in while), and otherwise you might try a factory reset.
My previous Roku's ended with the 3600r ( I've been using their players since 2011, so I pretty familiar with them). It only uses the * key for that function. The newer ones added those audio options which for the most part I have no use for. I was finally able to engaged the double click */play-resume function last night, thank you, but it was a lot easier when I just had to press the * key. I'm getting old and my reflexes are probably not as good as yours. Now the question is, how do you shut the dam thing off without having to go to settings and exit Netflix? BTW, the latest Netflix software version is 509.20E04806A...you may want to check your updates.

Ian

Last edited by mailiang; 01-05-2020 at 12:17 PM. Reason: typo
post #26 of 30 Old 01-05-2020, 12:32 PM

Quote:
My previous Roku's ended with the 3600r ( I've been using their players since 2011, so I pretty familiar with them). It only uses the * key for that function. The newer ones added those audio options which for the most part I have no use for. I was finally able to engaged the double click */play-resume function last night, thank you, but it was a lot easier when I just had to press the * key. I'm getting old and my reflexes are probably not as good as yours. Now the question is, how do you shut the dam thing off without having to go to settings and exit Netflix? BTW, the latest Netflix software version is 509.20E04806A...you may want to check your updates.

Ian

You can turn it off the same way you turned it on - on the details page: double-press * - then play/resume.
post #27 of 30 Old 01-05-2020, 12:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

I get the feeling that the budget for such things at Amazon are a low priority. I watched the shoestring budget errors and omissions on Hulu for years which still needs some improvement.
ssaddict likes this.
post #28 of 30 Old 01-05-2020, 01:02 PM

Quote:
I get the feeling that the budget for such things at Amazon are a low priority. I watched the shoestring budget errors and omissions on Hulu for years which still needs some improvement.

I have more problems with subtitles/CC on AP than with any other app/service - everything from being missing, to the wrong ones (for a different ep/movie), to being minutes off timing-wise, to not respecting the current status (on/off), etc etc.

I've submitted/reported numerous problems with specific shows/movies to AP - not once has it resulted in fixed subtitles/CC.
ssaddict likes this.
post #29 of 30 Old 01-05-2020, 02:26 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I have more problems with subtitles/CC on AP than with any other app/service - everything from being missing, to the wrong ones (for a different ep/movie), to being minutes off timing-wise, to not respecting the current status (on/off), etc etc.

I've submitted/reported numerous problems with specific shows/movies to AP - not once has it resulted in fixed subtitles/CC.
Well at least I am not alone in seeing the problems. Thanks.

Still, Prime is by far the cheapest here. I guess it's worth putting up with.
post #30 of 30 Old 01-05-2020, 03:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
You can turn it off the same way you turned it on - on the details page: double-press * - then play/resume.
I can assure you I tried that first several times, and it didn't work. There is a discussion on the Roku forum about this and there are a few posts with the same issue.https://community.roku.com/t5/Channe...ft/td-p/462513 Exiting Netflix in settings or clicking reload seems to be the solution for some users, others claim clicking the * key once after going back to the browse menu does it. In either case, I'm done with it.

Ian

Last edited by mailiang; 01-05-2020 at 08:32 PM. Reason: Just another typo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Video Download Services & Hardware

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page