Video file playback device (4K, HDR, Atmos over HDMI)? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 01-07-2020, 07:22 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Question Video file playback device (4K, HDR, Atmos over HDMI)?

TLDR: Is there such a device on the market that can play video files (either from its own disk or from an external HDD via USB) and output them to HDMI in 4K HDR with Atmos?

I have ripped some of my BluRay disks and am currently looking for a device (I'm not even quite sure it exists) for playback. Basically, I would want to have something that:
- Either has a big internal storage, or has a USB port to connect an external HDD where I can play these movies from
- Can play various high quality video files
- Supports 4K, HDR and Atmos
I know of devices like the Amazon Fire TV and Apple TV, Roku etc., but my tv is smart and does have all the apps I need for streaming, so I'm not really looking for a streaming device. The nVidia Shield is the closest to what I want (apparently it supports 4K HDR, Atmos and can play video files from an HDD I think), but they're not selling those where I live or they cost over 400 USD (which I feel is a bit of an overkill just to be able to play video files).
I was thinking of using my PC, however my graphics card is old now and does not have HDMI (only DVI) and thus doesn't support 4K. I might upgrade it for this specific reason but I imagine that upgrade would also cost me around 3-400 USD at least and due to the noise it makes it's still not the best option.
I think I might be looking for a NAS, but I'm really not sure if those even come with an HDMI out. I'm just looking for recommendations on specific hardware or even general recommendations on what even a device that can do this is.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 01-07-2020, 08:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 445 Post(s)
Liked: 333
Yes, the nvidia Shield does all that, though they cost $199, not $400.

Vizio P65-C1 (2016)
Onkyo Tx-NR656 (5.1.2 setup)
JBL Studio S-Center, JBL Studio S26ii (FL/FR), JBL N24 (LS/RS), JBL N24 (Overhead Atmos), JBL Studio SUB250
Nvidia Shield TV 2019 Pro / Fire Stick 4K
post #3 of 3 Old 01-07-2020, 11:44 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by taz291819 View Post
Yes, the nvidia Shield does all that, though they cost $199, not $400.
The only thing in stock in my country is the Shield TV Pro at 275 USD (I guess due to import prices?? I have no idea) and the 2018 Shield TV for 200 USD (but this one doesn't even have any USB ports so I guess that won't work). Thing is I could buy a new GeForce 1030 for 100 USD and that might do the job (?) so I was wondering if there's other options. I feel like the Shield TV Pro is overkill because I would literally only use it for file playback and wouldn't utilise any other functions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Video Download Services & Hardware

Tags
hdr , playback

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page