Is Netflix 4k plan worth it if you have 4k supported TV? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 04-25-2020, 10:18 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Is Netflix 4k plan worth it if you have 4k supported TV?

I have Sony 75 inch bravia 4K supported TV, Roku Ultra 4K , Xbox One X (4K ) and Yamaha receiver 4K . All the devices go through the Yamaha to connect to Sony TV.

Now, the question is 'Do I really need Netflix premium plan to enjoy 4K videos since the other devices (Roku, Xbox or Sony TV) can do the 4K up scaling for HD videos'? I recently downgraded from 4k to HD plan in Netflix and wondering if I am really missing out the picture quality? I don't watch TV shows in Netflix which is mostly 4K, so it's kinda waste of money.

Also, I read some articles stating it's better to have your TV do the up scaling and disable it on other devices(Roku, Xbox etc.) But some says, that adds picture delay due to the up scaling process and should be done through the closest device from the source. Any tips?

Last edited by nitynity; 04-25-2020 at 04:00 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 04-26-2020, 01:55 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 367 Post(s)
Liked: 297
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitynity View Post
I have Sony 75 inch bravia 4K supported TV, Roku Ultra 4K , Xbox One X (4K ) and Yamaha receiver 4K . All the devices go through the Yamaha to connect to Sony TV.

Now, the question is 'Do I really need Netflix premium plan to enjoy 4K videos since the other devices (Roku, Xbox or Sony TV) can do the 4K up scaling for HD videos'? I recently downgraded from 4k to HD plan in Netflix and wondering if I am really missing out the picture quality? I don't watch TV shows in Netflix which is mostly 4K, so it's kinda waste of money.

Also, I read some articles stating it's better to have your TV do the up scaling and disable it on other devices(Roku, Xbox etc.) But some says, that adds picture delay due to the up scaling process and should be done through the closest device from the source. Any tips?
The 4K Netflix plan also brings support for HDR. The new Netflix film Extraction is 4K HDR with Atmos and it looks and sounds great. I wouldn't use Xbox (or PS4) for watching SDR videos on Netflix if you have the plan because the consoles force HDR on everything. For me, the 4K plan is worth it. I bought a 4K HDR TV so I want to have access to as much 4K HDR content possible.
post #3 of 9 Old 04-26-2020, 11:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2543 Post(s)
Liked: 2272
The Netflix plan that provides 4K is their 4 subscriber plan. Keep in mind that no other service I have charge extra for 4K so I don't know what the Netflix execs were thinking if they were thinking at all. I dropped Netflix last fall and they ask for a reason and I told them I didn't want to pay their 4K tax when other services don't have it. If they were trying to save bandwidth then what happens if all 4 people on the plan (they can be at other locations) all try to watch a 4K show at once?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 04-26-2020, 01:57 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spewdom View Post
The 4K Netflix plan also brings support for HDR. The new Netflix film Extraction is 4K HDR with Atmos and it looks and sounds great. I wouldn't use Xbox (or PS4) for watching SDR videos on Netflix if you have the plan because the consoles force HDR on everything. For me, the 4K plan is worth it. I bought a 4K HDR TV so I want to have access to as much 4K HDR content possible.

Thanks for the response Spewdom. I don't understand what you meant by ' I wouldn't use Xbox (or PS4) for watching SDR videos on Netflix if you have the plan because the consoles force HDR on everything.' Are you saying upscaling SDR (HD?) to HDR is bad?

I use Roku or X Box to watch Netflix. Since Roku doesn't support Dolby Vision, only HDR, I tend to occasionally use Xbox for DV movies.

Mine is 4K HDR tv as well. Sony Bravia XBR75x900f
post #5 of 9 Old 04-27-2020, 06:14 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Conrad View Post
The Netflix plan that provides 4K is their 4 subscriber plan. Keep in mind that no other service I have charge extra for 4K so I don't know what the Netflix execs were thinking if they were thinking at all. I dropped Netflix last fall and they ask for a reason and I told them I didn't want to pay their 4K tax when other services don't have it. If they were trying to save bandwidth then what happens if all 4 people on the plan (they can be at other locations) all try to watch a 4K show at once?

I agree with you regarding the extra charge for 4k content. I read somewhere that Netflix is producing more shows, movies etc. lately and hence the increased price to compensate for the cost. But again, if I am not interested in those 4K TV shows, then pretty much they are forcing me into sponsoring their craps. I did sign up Disney + for few months expecting to drop Netflix, but it's too early for Disney to catch up with Netflix like content quantity. So for now I use Netflix.
post #6 of 9 Old 04-30-2020, 06:16 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 367 Post(s)
Liked: 297
Quote:
Quote:

Thanks for the response Spewdom. I don't understand what you meant by ' I wouldn't use Xbox (or PS4) for watching SDR videos on Netflix if you have the plan because the consoles force HDR on everything.' Are you saying upscaling SDR (HD?) to HDR is bad?

I use Roku or X Box to watch Netflix. Since Roku doesn't support Dolby Vision, only HDR, I tend to occasionally use Xbox for DV movies.

Mine is 4K HDR tv as well. Sony Bravia XBR75x900f
You can use Xbox to watch SDR content on Netflix if you like. I don't because Xbox forcing HDR on content that isn't made with HDR in mind doesn't look as good as using the settings I have for SDR on my TV. You don't have a built-in Netflix app on your TV you could try?
post #7 of 9 Old 05-02-2020, 08:30 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
You don't have a built-in Netflix app on your TV you could try?

Yes I do. But for some reason the audio quality compared to streaming through my ROKU is inferior when using the built in Netflix app in Sony. I played around with it, but still when playing the same movie scene in Netflix through Sony/Roku, Roku always sounds better and higher volume through my Yamaha receiver though I use HDMI for all my connections. So I never use the built in apps.
post #8 of 9 Old 05-13-2020, 06:54 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 4
I get my Netflix through Roku or cable box, but neither support Dolby Atmos with Netflix. I do need to purchase a 4K blu-ray player. So Does anyone know of a 4K blu-ray player that that supports Dolby Atmos with Netflix?
post #9 of 9 Old 05-13-2020, 09:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 708 Post(s)
Liked: 643
Quote:

You forgot to tell us the most important spec: How far away do you sit from your TV?

Media: LG 88" 8K OLED Z9 / Denon AVR-X8500H 7.1.4 / Oppo UDP-203 / Nvidia SHIELD (2017) / Apple TV 4K / Sony 4K FMP-X10 / Gaming PC (Threadripper 1950X / 2x GeForce GTX 1080 Ti SLI) / PlayStation 4 Pro with PS VR / PlayStation (original)
Family: Sony 85" 4K XBR-85X900F / Denon AVR-X3400H 5.1 / Nvidia SHIELD (2017) / Apple TV 4K / C64 Mini - Game: LG 77" 4K OLED C8 / Denon AVR-X3400H 5.1 / Nvidia SHIELD (2017) / Apple TV 4K
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Video Download Services & Hardware

Tags
hdtv , Netflix , Sony , ultra hd

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page