Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 10-03-2016, 08:37 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked: 305
Dolby Vision Picture Quality

I went 3 weeks ago to Austria to see there in Salzburg the nearest Dolby Vison Cinema to my home.

Sad we not have any Dolby Vision Cinema in my area near Munich Germany but Salzburg is normally only 1.5 hours driving one way so not too bad.

As this was a last min. decision as we had guest from US with us we booked from the car and found than out that the movie was playing there was a Germany Movie called "SMS für Dich" a new Production in only 2D not 3D as i had hope.

Anyway the women on the phone give a wrong address as in Salzburg Cineplexx have 2 cinemas and even when i told her that we are only interested into the real "Dolby Cinema" she guide us wrong and told us the wrong address.
So we have a lot of action to catch the movie as we know it only when I like to pick up my tickets in the wrong cinema.

The Design of the Cinema remembers me a bit to my own idea 20 years ago to have a black box.
Dolby take a lot of Action to make the Screen as dark as possible during the movie.
Al other make not any sense when you know that only both pr. are in the about 1 mil. $ range!

Picture was to my surprise project from both pr. overlap each other.
I hear that this is normally when the have Play a 2D movie.

The Picture was very very good.
I had hear from many sources that Dolby Vision speckle even if they use vibrators behind the screen but to my surprise I not see any speckle at all.
So it was 100% speckle free and I am very sensitive about it.
Screen was about 18 meter wide.
Color was top and cr. wow what a nice cr. this Setup have.
The Limit was not the pr. as I can see in 100% dark seq. as still even with all the action Dolby did to protect during the movie light from the Screen a Little light Comes to the Screen but not from the Pr. itself.

There was not any miss convergence visible not from the 2 pr. setup and also not inside a projector from about 1.1 times the screen wide in distance.

I really like to know what I have seen there.
Was it a 2K or a 4K Version of this movie was it the Dolby Vision Master or a normally DCI Master.
I got in contact with the Production company in Berlin so soon I will know.

We plan to go there for the next 3D Movie they but not an animated Film I prefer a real film in 3D.

All in all the best Picture I saw in a movie cinema so far.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 10-05-2016, 01:46 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked: 305
I found the company that did the master for this movie.

It was ARRI in Berlin Germany.
To my surprise they told me that this movie they only made a normally 2K DCI master and nothing more.
I know that ARRI is a high quality company but this was a bit surprise for me as the picture quality
was that good with only a 2K DCI master.
It is strange what you can get with a normally 2K DCI if projection and rest of cinema is so good.

I forget to say in my first post that the aircon is a problem in the cinema as it blow much too much.
That was very uncomfortable.
post #3 of 7 Old 10-05-2016, 12:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 606 Post(s)
Liked: 170
How else would one get 31 fL;-).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 10-21-2016, 12:41 PM

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 2273 Post(s)
Liked: 1292
Send a message via Skype™ to CINERAMAX
Hi Wolfgang,

http://dci-forum.com/?topic=707.0

This was a very interesting panel discussion from HDR filmakers at NAB the future of cinema conference COMPANY 3 is the only dolby cinema audio and video equipped production company pay attention to what the Korean Japanese gentleman sayd aboiut mastering compromises for 2,000:1 and Dolby Cinema, this is not only the best looking Dolby Cinema but the best sounding theater Ive ever heard.*

*Insights to be posted in DCI-Forum exclusive how I found amazing insights into the next 2 years of cinema at Showeast whilst arriving 10 minutes before closing.
post #5 of 7 Old 10-27-2016, 06:41 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 729 Post(s)
Liked: 393
@W.Mayer , you're fortunate to have such a well implemented Dolby cinema. And one that appears willing to do 3D showings.

I fear AMC Theaters (Whom holds the exclusive rights to Dolby Cinema in the US) has botched their implementation of the theater redesign, royally. I've now been to 3 different Dolby Cinemas. Soon to be 5. All with issues.

So far none are willing to show 3D. Though there have been reports of some AMC Dolby Cinemas elsewhere in the US that have shown 3D. And I think El Capitan in Hollywood, but that's the only non-AMC Dolby Cinema.

All of them that I've seen/been to have issues with light contamination. The red LED's on floor leak onto the screen. This has been confirmed from other reports throughout the US. I've seen it extend to about halfway up the screen and others have stated they see it all the way to the top. It's very visible and kills the contrast ratio.

At the AMC Altamonte Springs Dolby Cinema, there is a certain LF range that rattles the crap out of the A/C vents and duct-work. I couldn't verify it at the others I've been to because I only have been there once, but I frequent the Altamonte location almost weekly. It took me a while to figure out what the noise was but it's definitely there. Perhaps the vents weren't properly secured.

Lastly, the chairs could use some tweaking. They don't fully extend the legs support. So you're legs are somewhat hanging down a bit. It's a little uncomfortable. I think this is because they didn't leave enough room so people may walk by while the chair is fully reclined and legs extended.

In terms of the video quality of the dual Christie Projectors, it's mostly excellent. Very bright. Great contrast. I'm no expert with this stuff, but I do feel I'm seeing some sort motion resolution issue. But honestly it's close enough to being unnoticeable that I forget it and just enjoy the show.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CINERAMAX View Post
Peter, what's this insight?

Also noticed the AMC Aventura has yet to open their Dolby Cinema which they said was supposed to be ready over a month ago.

I wonder if they ran into the same calibration issues the Altamonte Springs location had.
post #6 of 7 Old 10-27-2016, 07:52 AM

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 2273 Post(s)
Liked: 1292
Send a message via Skype™ to CINERAMAX
Isnt Altamonte by Orlando, sorry, i saw the blueprints for the sound design of a new one in Orlando, which brings me to the discovery of why the Las Vegas Dolby Cinema was the very best movie theater I have ever heard, so interesting secrets i found out, not sure I should post for mytery shopper forum mebers to gain valuable insight into the next big thing....so I will take my time with this intel that quite frankly there must be a God, because how the hell could I arrive at a show one minute after closing and bump into the 4 most important Idustry Members on atmos, on laser (2), and on IMS development, and get trove of new intel it would take months to deliberately obtain, as I said I will post a story at DCI Forum because That is where i post things DCI. But I will do so so In a way that throws THE mistery shopping CANCER OF THIS FORUM: off piste...
post #7 of 7 Old 10-27-2016, 09:50 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 729 Post(s)
Liked: 393
Quote:
Isnt Altamonte by Orlando
Yup, along the NE corridor of I-4.

Quote:
i saw the blueprints for the sound design of a new one in Orlando
Would that be the Regal RPX Theater in Winter Park? They had it down for a while and I was wondering if they were going to remodel it with some form of Immersive 3D Audio.

Can you share anything more about it?

Quote:
so interesting secrets i found out, not sure I should post for mytery shopper forum mebers to gain valuable insight into the next big thing....so I will take my time with this intel that quite frankly there must be a God, because how the hell could I arrive at a show one minute after closing and bump into the 4 most important Idustry Members on atmos, on laser (2), and on IMS development, and get trove of new intel it would take months to deliberately obtain, as I said I will post a story at DCI Forum because That is where i post things DCI. But I will do so so In a way that throws THE mistery shopping CANCER OF THIS FORUM: off piste...
Look forward to reading about it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply D-cinema Equipment and Theaters

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page