Digital cinema projection use frame interpolation? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 02-23-2020, 02:43 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Question Digital cinema projection use frame interpolation?

Hi everybody

Everytime I watch a movie (23.076 fps) with a DLP-projector and FI turned off I see motion stutter during fast panning.

Yesterday I was in the cinema and watched out for this stutter and it was not so noticeable like it is with watching a movie with a HT-projector.

I checked the projector-specs for Barco, Christie, NEC and Sony but cannot find something like FI.
But this would be the only explanation for me to get this "smooth" motion (not so smooth but definitely smoother than with turned off FI in HT).

I know with analog projection a shutter showed a frame two to three times alternating with a black frame to avoid this stutter .
But today these projector are digital and have no mechanical shutter.

So do they use FI in cinemas?

Best
FLX90

Last edited by FLX90; 02-23-2020 at 03:46 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 02-25-2020, 12:57 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLX90 View Post
Hi everybody

Everytime I watch a movie (23.076 fps) with a DLP-projector and FI turned off I see motion stutter during fast panning.

Yesterday I was in the cinema and watched out for this stutter and it was not so noticeable like it is with watching a movie with a HT-projector.

I checked the projector-specs for Barco, Christie, NEC and Sony but cannot find something like FI.
But this would be the only explanation for me to get this "smooth" motion (not so smooth but definitely smoother than with turned off FI in HT).

I know with analog projection a shutter showed a frame two to three times alternating with a black frame to avoid this stutter .
But today these projector are digital and have no mechanical shutter.

So do they use FI in cinemas?

Best
FLX90
Only native 120 fps, like from Ang Lee's movies. It's mindblowing. Series 4 Barco are specially engineered for this from the sever player to the lasers.

"I have spoken."
post #3 of 4 Old 02-27-2020, 01:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 718 Post(s)
Liked: 223
Quote:
Originally Posted by CP850-CLED View Post
Only native 120 fps, like from Ang Lee's movies. It's mindblowing. Series 4 Barco are specially engineered for this from the sever player to the lasers.
I briefly spoke to Ang Lee's technical producer, director or whatever the title was, he was responsble for the operations and technology. I asked him about black frame insertion, he told me that they tried it but it did not do anything, there was no need. Somehow the images already had enough motion in them to not benefit from it.

The production set that was also flown around the world for demo's consisted of two 4K mirage projectors with a laser rack,and the mirage series is the simulation version of Christies projectors,so the ony ones that offered 120 FPS input at the time. So with two heads/signal paths Christie could show 4K 120P or 2K 240P in 3D.

For 24P 3D cinema the Barco and Christie projectors offer(ed) triple flash or 144 images per second.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 05-07-2020, 04:16 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Frame interpolation would violate the DCI specifications that commercial cinema projectors must adhere to to become certified. Scaling, dynamic iris, ect are all not allowed. Although the rules are bent when needed - Sony's 3D lens allows scaling, Christie's Dolby Vision projector uses a zoned dimming for higher contrast. I don't see why frame interpolation would ever be added - the whole idea of DCI was to ensure the director's vision was shown as purely as possible onscreen.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply D-cinema Equipment and Theaters

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page