Channel Master CM-7004 Converter Box - Page 3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 32Likes

post #61 of 131 Old 07-20-2018, 08:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 601 Post(s)
Liked: 247
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHBrandt View Post
That sort of pattern - signal strength good but quality varying rapidly - is typical of multipath interference. It can be pretty weird, hitting some stations and not others. Tuners also vary greatly in their ability to handle it, which may explain why it's only a problem on that one station and only with the HDHR.

The "ultimate" solution is to replace or at least reorient the antenna, but that's not always practical, especially if different stations are in different directions from your home (say, DC and Baltimore stations). And it can be pretty tedious to move the antenna, scan through all the stations looking for problems, move it a little more, etc.
Thanks for the suggestions. Could be but this pattern never changes. Even when conditions are good to receive a very strong signal- same thing. Hopefully in a year or two when WJZ changes to frequency 11 things will improve. Right now they have a directional antenna that limits in my direction. They applied for a non directional antenna so I am hoping their signal will get stronger when this happens. The hdhomerun tech thought it maybe overload but I took the amp off. I wish I could get my hands on another antennacraft 12 element vhf antenna. I would try stacking. Might experiment with stacking two stellar labs vhf antennas.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 131 Old 07-20-2018, 04:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 67 Post(s)
Quoted: 2728 Post(s)
Liked: 1337
Well, something went wrong while "initializing" my USB drive. I left it running overnight. It shut itself off after 8 hours, but when I turned it on again today, it was still "initializing." So I pulled it.

The 7004 complained that I didn't use the menu to eject the drive, apparently oblivious to the fact that it wouldn't let me access the menu as long as the drive was plugged in! I checked the drive in a PC; the 7004 had created four zero-length files with invalid time stamps but was otherwise OK. So I got ready to plug it back into the 7004, but decided to try bringing up the settings menu first.

It worked. This time I got a progress bar, and the drive was ready to use in just a few minutes. I don't know if bringing up the settings menu first was the key, or if I just needed to "goose" it by pulling the drive and plugging it back in. Now I'm in the guide, setting up a recording.

Hmm - interesting. You can set recordings to keep everything, only 1-5 episodes, or "until space needed." So it has an auto-delete function! Nice.

Another nice feature: in addition to one-time, daily, and weekly recordings, you can set a show to record Mon-Fri or Mon-Sat. I've often wished the mStar boxes had that option!

And you can set up to 15 minutes of padding before and/or after each recording. (The DVR+ only goes up to 10 minutes.) That's actually rather impressive for a $49 box.

Edit: Unfortunately my pleasure was short-lived. My first recording finished, so I tried to play it back. "Playback error: Unrecoverable errors in recording." Not an impressive start.

I ejected the drive from the 7004 and plugged it into a PC to see if I could figure out what was wrong. The file layout the 7004 created on the drive is truly bizarre:

• Four zero-length files, named .mp_aud, .mp_dir, .mp_pic, and .mp_vid
  • Three directories, named _BDAT_, _BINFO_, and _BNAV_.
  • The _BDAT_ directory contained 346 files, named B0.TS through B345.TS. Each file is exactly 150MB long.
  • The _BINFO_ directory similarly contained 860 files, named B0.INFO through B859.INFO. Each file is 4KB long. It also contains two files named brcm.inf (5K) and brcmsrec.inf (3K).
  • Finally, the _BNAV_ directory contains 255 files, named (you guessed it) B0.NAV through B254.NAV. Each is 512KB (0.5MB) long.

Together these files take up about 40% of my drive. (Hmm - I wonder if the drive should have been filled up completely? Maybe that's the problem.) Apparently the 7004 records into those pre-built .TS files instead of creating recordings "as it goes" like other DVRs.

Last edited by JHBrandt; 07-20-2018 at 08:03 PM.
post #63 of 131 Old 07-20-2018, 06:21 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 832 Post(s)
Liked: 355
Quote:
I finally got it hooked up. Several random observations:.....

In summary, so far I've found some good things and some bad things, but for the most part, the bad things are pretty typical for an under-$50 box. I got my money's worth (ignoring the delivery issues and wasp stings) but am glad I waited for the price to drop.
Thank you for your detailed observations and comparisons with other current boxes. I tested many of the CECBs 10 years ago, but I'm not very familiar with the current boxes.

If you can not measure it, you can not improve it.
Lord Kelvin, 1883
www.megalithia.com/elect/aerialsite/dttpoorman.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 131 Old 07-20-2018, 06:32 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by keeper View Post
Snr varies like you say but the hdhomerun box flat out drops in the danger zone every few seconds while my other tuners hold steady. This is signal quality I’m referring to. The tech for them couldn’t figure it out and they sent a new box. Same thing. We tried everything from removing the amp to just using vhf. No change at all. In my opinion my network has something to do with it.

There does seem to be a pattern to what I’m seeing so I would assume it’s some kind of interference with the networked box. If I switched the cable to my Sony tv or even Dish the signal would be steady pretty much and in the superior range. It’s early morning and these signals are strong. In day to day use even with Dish I do occasionally get breakups with these channels but mostly they are pretty good. I can go hours without seeing an issue.

I get the 7004 tomorrow and will report my findings.
I agree with JHBrandt. I don't think it is a network problem; my guess is the HDHR demodulator isn't very good at handling multipath.

Lord Kelvin, 1883

Last edited by rabbit73; 07-20-2018 at 06:38 PM.
post #65 of 131 Old 07-20-2018, 06:43 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Edit: Unfortunately my pleasure was short-lived. My first recording finished, so I tried to play it back. "Playback error: Unrecoverable errors in recording." Not an impressive start.
Yes, not an impressive start. I'm glad you are doing the recording test, you have more experience with that function than I do.

Lord Kelvin, 1883
post #66 of 131 Old 07-20-2018, 07:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I reformatted, checked the drive for errors (it checked out OK), plugged it back in and let it re-initialize again. I'll try again later.

I've used this drive before (on my DVR+) with seemingly good results, even during a one-channel record, second-channel time-shift (simultaneous record & playback) stress test. Of course, it's possible that it doesn't perform as well now; flash drives are known to slow down if they're filled up, and I've used it for a couple of backups. But I was only trying to record a single SD subchannel; I wouldn't expect performance to get so bad it couldn't even handle that!

Still, if it fails again, I'll try another drive. The recording feature shows promise; I'd hate to lose it because I can't find a compatible drive.

BTW, one warning about setup: when selecting the time zone, it goes Eastern-Central-Mountain-Pacific as expected, but then goes Eastern(DST)-Central(DST)-etc. If DST is in effect, make sure to skip past the first group of time zones and go to the second (DST) group! Otherwise everything will look an hour off and you'll manually set the time incorrectly. At least that's what I did.
Quote:
I finally got it hooked up. Several random observations:

1. (Good) As you know, it has a grid-style channel guide. When you pull it up, the box starts scanning the visible channels to fill it out. As you move through the guide with the cursor keys (bad: page up/down doesn't work) it fills out the stations you page to. I haven't yet confirmed whether it also updates the guide when in standby and not recording.
  2. Interestingly, the RF output has a "loop through" notation that the box doesn't support.
More info on the above:

1. The box does not appear to keep the guide updated while in standby. I left the box in standby for several hours, then turned it on and immediately accessed the guide. Only the current station's subchannels were filled in. Slightly disappointing, but not that big of a deal.
  2. Actually, the box may support "loop through" after all. At the bottom of the user settings menu, there's a setting labeled "Analog Service." Doesn't appear to do anything, but I wonder if it turns "loop through" on or off? More experimentation needed here....

Last edited by JHBrandt; 07-21-2018 at 10:50 AM.
post #67 of 131 Old 07-21-2018, 10:46 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

I would like to look inside the box, but I haven't figured out how to open it without damaging the enclosure. It was easy to open the 7003, but the 7004 is a Chinese puzzle for me.

The plastic enclosure for the 7004 doesn't have the shielding for ingress that the 7003 has.

Lord Kelvin, 1883
post #68 of 131 Old 07-21-2018, 12:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Angry No luck retrying the recording

Still got the same "Playback error" as before. One difference was, this time the 7004 created 852 .ts files in the _BDAT_ directory, nearly filling the drive, as I expected. So I guess for whatever reason, the first "initialization" didn't complete correctly. Obviously didn't help with getting a recording to work though. Formatted the thing back to NTFS and will press it back into backup service.

Next I'll try a 64GB SanDisk drive that worked well with my iView for time-shifting. But at this point, it's looking like the 7004 is even more finicky about drives than the iView is.

Edit: OK, now this is starting to get weird. I formatted my 64GB drive, put it in the 7004 and let it "initialize." Then I set up a recording. Finally, I turned the box off.

The box turned off - then the screen came back on! But the LED on the front is off. And the box isn't responding to On, Off, or any other button on the remote.

So, I pulled the power then plugged it back in. (Interesting - after a power loss, the 7004 prompts you to review the time and reset it if necessary.) Then I checked that my recording was still set up. It was, so I turned the box off again - AND THE SAME THING HAPPENED AGAIN!

Except this time, after about 3 minutes, the box turned itself off. Guess I'll wait and see how the recording does this time.

Edit 2: STILL no luck! Although the symptoms were different this time. The recording started, but never stopped! And no matter what I did, it wouldn't stop. I just saw the "free space" keep trickling down, from 99% to 98% to 97%. Deleting the timer didn't stop it, and it wouldn't play (apparently chase play isn't supported on this box, although time-shifting is). Finally, in desperation, I pulled the plug again. After doing that it takes a few seconds to "initialize" the drive again - and naturally, once that was done, I was back to 100% free and no recordings!

Note: I downloaded and installed the "SMPlayer" referred to earlier in this thread, and I can see the 7004 actually did record something. However the format it uses makes it impractical to recover the recording. Each of the Bn.TS files in the _BDAT_ directory may have part of the recording, so I suppose if I played them all and identified which ones had the data I wanted, I could copy them all out to a "final" .TS file with a utility like FFMPEG. But unless the box can do the job correctly itself, that's not exactly helpful.

I have one last card to play. I slapped an old 100GB "spinning-platter" HDD in a dock and formatted it. Although the manual says spinning-platter drives are not supported, the 7004 accepted it and initialized it. So I'll give it one last try. I can see the HDD access light this time around, which may help also. Maybe the third time will be the charm?

A decent tuner and a nice guide, but as a DVR, this thing makes an iView look downright reliable. This is an absolutely insane amount of trouble.

Last edited by JHBrandt; 07-21-2018 at 03:32 PM.
post #69 of 131 Old 07-21-2018, 03:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Finally, success - ?

The spinning-platter drive finally seemed to do the trick. The recording started, stopped, and is playable. However, there are a few glitches in the recording segments with no sound and apparent skips.

The glitches mostly seem to be at the start of the recording, though, so maybe the "fix" is as simple as starting recordings 3 minutes early so that everything is "running smoothly" by the time the show starts? No such luck. My recording had another "glitch" about 13 minutes in. I did discover, though, that if you lose sound after a "glitch," the fix is simply to skip forward then back again.

I'm guessing the glitches align with the 150MB Bn.TS files that the 7004 divides recordings into. At SD, each file would hold about 5 minutes - more if the data rate was slower than usual. Maybe this is why CM says not to use spinning-platter drives; the 7004 may not have enough buffering to wait for all the arm movement when switching to a new file.

Still, so far the spinning-platter drive is the only thing I've tried that even came close to working. An obvious problem, though, is that spinning-platter drives under 128GB are tough to find these days. Who in their right mind would want one that small? So I have one more experiment to try: can I use a larger HDD with a 128GB FAT32 partition? Edit: Yes! I took a 750GB HDD, removed the partition, and created a 128GB FAT32 partition in its place. The 7004 accepted it and initialized it.
And can I put another partition in the unused space, so I'm not wasting most of the HDD? Edit: Yes! I ejected my HDD, hooked it up to the PC again, and created an NTFS partition in the unused space. I then plugged it back into the 7004, and it worked. My test recording was still there. Even remembered where I was when I stopped playback!

Looks like I have this 90% licked. Still need to do something about the glitches. That will probably require finding a reasonably-priced flash drive that will work with this @#$% thing.

The manual does say the flash drive should be a never-used drive. I'm not going to go to that extreme. However, it may come down to rezeroing the entire drive. Microsoft has a program that will do that - it's intended to be run on a virtual drive prior to compressing it. I may give that a try.

Last edited by JHBrandt; 07-21-2018 at 07:13 PM.
post #70 of 131 Old 07-22-2018, 01:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I recieved the 7004 today. Will be testing the tuner this week. My signal quality on my trouble stations are 97 and 100. I can tell you that the tuner in this thing is much better than the hdhomerun. It’s holding steady and not continuously going up and down. What kind of signal quality levels are you guys getting on your good channels? I wonder what the problem area is as far as signal quality?

Last edited by keeper; 07-22-2018 at 01:47 PM.
post #71 of 131 Old 07-22-2018, 01:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Finally, success? Mostly....

Quote:
Still need to do something about the glitches. That will probably require finding a reasonably-priced flash drive that will work with this @#$% thing.

The manual does say the flash drive should be a never-used drive. I'm not going to go to that extreme. However, it may come down to rezeroing the entire drive.
Rezeroing the drive did the trick! I went back to my original 128GB drive, rezeroed it, and tried once more. Worked at least as well as the spinning-platter drive did.

BTW, it turns out the 7004 supports chase play after all, but you must wait at least 15 minutes after the recording starts before it will work.

Still a few glitches though, so apparently the spinning-platter drive wasn't causing that problem. Time-shifting also suffers from the same glitches, unfortunately.

If you don't mind the glitches, it looks like you can use either:

• A rezeroed flash drive, up to 128GB
  • A small spinning-platter drive up to the same limit (the largest you're likely to find is 120GB, though)
  • A larger drive (either type) with a small FAT32 first partition

In the last case, make the FAT32 partition 128064 MiB (which works out to 134,284 MB). 128000 MiB is the max the 7004 will support, and you need a little more for the FATs and directories. 64 MiB extra is about right, but anything more should go into the second partition. Otherwise it will just be wasted space.

Nevertheless, because of the glitches, the 128GB restriction, the impracticality of transferring recordings to a PC, and the lack of a media player function, I cannot recommend this box for recording. Too bad, because it has some nice features I'd like to seen on an iView, HomeWorX, or ViewTV:

1. Auto-delete function: you can set recordings to keep everything, only 1-5 episodes, or "until space needed."
  2. You get a menu setting to enable time-shifting by default, instead of having to remember to enable it each time you need it by pressing Pause
  3. You can skip forward/backwards by a few seconds, rather than having to FF and rewind
  4. You can set up to 15 minutes of padding before and/or after each recording; you don't have to manually edit the start and end times!
  5. You can manually set the date & time! (PSIP time isn't always correct, mStar.)
  6. In addition to one-time, daily, and weekly recordings, you can set a show to record Mon-Fri or Mon-Sat.

I would like to see the mStar software folks study and try to copy this box's UI. (Although it turns out TiVo has a patent on grid-style guides! That alone may explain the high initial cost of this box. We probably won't see that in a cheap box until that ridiculous patent expires.)
post #72 of 131 Old 07-22-2018, 02:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I recieved the 7004 today. Will be testing the tuner this week. My signal quality on my trouble stations are 97 and 100. I can tell you that the tuner in this thing is much better than the hdhomerun. It’s holding steady and not continuously going up and down. What kind of signal quality levels are you guys getting on your good channels? I wonder what the problem area is as far as signal quality?
Keep in mind that SQ readings are in arbitrary units that vary from one model to another, so you can't directly compare the HDHR and 7004 SQ readings.

Still, if it's holding steady on your problem channels, it obviously handles their impairments much better than the HDHR tuners do. As a simple, no-frills tuner, this box seems pretty solid.

As far as my SQ readings go, I have one down at 34, one at 38, one at 43, and one at 56. They all play fine, though, and most are in the 90-100 range.
post #73 of 131 Old 07-22-2018, 02:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Keep in mind that SQ readings are in arbitrary units that vary from one model to another, so you can't directly compare the HDHR and 7004 SQ readings.

Still, if it's holding steady on your problem channels, it obviously handles their impairments much better than the HDHR tuners do. As a simple, no-frills tuner, this box seems pretty solid.

As far as my SQ readings go, I have one down at 34, one at 38, one at 43, and one at 56. They all play fine, though, and most are in the 90-100 range.
Thanks for the info. One thing I do notice is I have small black bars on each side on my hd stations. Not sure if that can be corrected. What about Dolby digital?

Last edited by keeper; 07-22-2018 at 02:42 PM.
post #74 of 131 Old 07-22-2018, 02:52 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I recieved the 7004 today. Will be testing the tuner this week. My signal quality on my trouble stations are 97 and 100. I can tell you that the tuner in this thing is much better than the hdhomerun. It’s holding steady and not continuously going up and down.
Good news; thanks for the report.
Quote:
What kind of signal quality levels are you guys getting on your good channels? I wonder what the problem area is as far as signal quality?
The problem is multipath. The WJZ signal is not LOS at your location, it is diffracted and scattered.

Lord Kelvin, 1883
post #75 of 131 Old 07-22-2018, 02:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit73 View Post
Good news; thanks for the report.
The problem is multipath. The WJZ signal is not LOS at your location, it is diffracted and scattered.
Please tell me this thing passes Dolby digital. All of my stations are coming in stereo pcm.
post #76 of 131 Old 07-22-2018, 03:01 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Please tell me this thing passes Dolby digital. All of my stations are coming in stereo pcm.
How would I be able to confirm that?

Lord Kelvin, 1883
post #77 of 131 Old 07-22-2018, 03:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
How would I be able to confirm that?
Do you have a receiver in the loop? I see no audio settings in the menu. Every box I have ever tried passes dd.
post #78 of 131 Old 07-22-2018, 03:11 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Do you have a receiver in the loop? I see no audio settings in the menu. Every box I have ever tried passes dd.
No

The specs for the box say HDMI 1.3a, so it should do what you want.
https://s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/d...ec_27FEB18.pdf

https://denon.custhelp.com/app/answe...1.4-and-2.0%3F

Lord Kelvin, 1883

Last edited by rabbit73; 07-22-2018 at 03:16 PM.
post #79 of 131 Old 07-22-2018, 03:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
No

The specs for the box say HDMI 1.3a, so it should do what you want.
https://s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/d...ec_27FEB18.pdf

https://denon.custhelp.com/app/answe...1.4-and-2.0%3F
It doesn’t seem to be able to pass dd. A deal breaker for me.
post #80 of 131 Old 07-22-2018, 03:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thanks for the info. One thing I do notice is I have small black bars on each side on my hd stations. Not sure if that can be corrected. What about Dolby digital?
The aspect ratio settings on this thing seem a little flaky to me. And as usual, the box doesn't remember the aspect ratio setting you chose for each channel, requiring you to reset it each time you change channels. (Why is it that only Zenith/Insignia was ever able to get that right? Maybe they took out a patent on it )

To change the aspect ratio, push the button right under the red button at the top of the remote.
post #81 of 131 Old 07-22-2018, 03:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
The aspect ratio settings on this thing seem a little flaky to me. And as usual, the box doesn't remember the aspect ratio setting you chose for each channel, requiring you to reset it each time you change channels. (Why is it that only Zenith/Insignia was ever able to get that right? Maybe they took out a patent on it )

To change the aspect ratio, push the button right under the red button at the top of the remote.
Yeah you are right. My ratio is correct now. Does yours pass Dolby digital? My boxes from 15 years ago pass dd.
post #82 of 131 Old 07-22-2018, 03:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Well, the mStar boxes pass DD, and they record it too; but they won't play it back (unless you use a special trick)!
post #83 of 131 Old 07-22-2018, 03:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Yeah you are right. My ratio is correct now. Does yours pass Dolby digital? My boxes from 15 years ago pass dd.
I don't have an AVR so I can't tell. (My knowledge of the mStar boxes comes from others' reports.)
post #84 of 131 Old 07-22-2018, 03:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I don't have an AVR so I can't tell. (My knowledge of the mStar boxes comes from others' reports.)
I have an email into cm. I’ll be shocked if this thing doesn’t pass dd.
post #85 of 131 Old 07-22-2018, 05:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

This may help: I just discovered there's a clone of the CM-7004, except without the recording feature: https://www.insigniaproducts.com/pdp/NS-DXA3/5449400

Here's a .pdf of the manual: https://files.bbystatic.com/kYTTKKPU...5ce12667db.pdf

The case is slightly different, and the Insignia has a red "standby" LED, but if you scroll through the manual and start looking at screen shots, you'll see the setup is identical to the CM-7004. Also notice that the Insignia is $79.99, nearly as much as the pre-clearance CM-7004.

@keeper will be interested to learn that, under "Features" the Insignia's web page states:
Supports Dolby Digital Audio: For superior audio quality.
There are, however, some differences. The CM-7004 removed the Closed Captioning menu to make room for the DVR menu. I hadn't even noticed it before, but most tuners have a menu where you can customize the appearance of closed captions. The CM-7004 doesn't.

The CM-7004 remote (which is actually a DVR+ "enhanced" remote) also lacks the Insignia's "Favorites" and "Pass-Thru" buttons, effectively disabling those functions. (That would explain the "loop through" notation on the RF output connector.)

I wonder if the Insignia's remote control would operate the CM-7004? (Ebay has spare remotes for $19.99.) And if so, do the "Favorites" and "Pass-Thru" functions work? Pass-thru isn't terribly useful these days but Favorites would be a big help.
keeper and rabbit73 like this.

Last edited by JHBrandt; 07-22-2018 at 06:06 PM.
post #86 of 131 Old 07-22-2018, 07:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
This may help: I just discovered there's a clone of the CM-7004, except without the recording feature: https://www.insigniaproducts.com/pdp/NS-DXA3/5449400

Here's a .pdf of the manual: https://files.bbystatic.com/kYTTKKPU...5ce12667db.pdf

The case is slightly different, and the Insignia has a red "standby" LED, but if you scroll through the manual and start looking at screen shots, you'll see the setup is identical to the CM-7004. Also notice that the Insignia is $79.99, nearly as much as the pre-clearance CM-7004.

@keeper will be interested to learn that, under "Features" the Insignia's web page states:
There are, however, some differences. The CM-7004 removed the Closed Captioning menu to make room for the DVR menu. I hadn't even noticed it before, but most tuners have a menu where you can customize the appearance of closed captions. The CM-7004 doesn't.

The CM-7004 remote (which is actually a DVR+ "enhanced" remote) also lacks the Insignia's "Favor vorites" and "Pass-Thru" buttons, effectively disabling those functions. (That would explain the "loop through" notation on the RF output connector.)

I wonder if the Insignia's remote control would operate the CM-7004? (Ebay has spare remotes for $19.99.) And if so, do the "Favorites" and "Pass-Thru" functions work? Pass-thru isn't terribly useful these days but Favorites would be a big help.
Interesting. Yeah the Dolby digital sign is displayed when you hit the info button. I don’t see any audio settings in the menu.
post #87 of 131 Old 07-22-2018, 08:07 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Good find; thanks.

Looks like Best Buy did a better job of marketing than CM. Best Buy didn't fall into the "recording" trap; they understood that it's better to eliminate the recording feature than to do it wrong and antagonize the buyer.
JHBrandt likes this.

Lord Kelvin, 1883

Last edited by rabbit73; 07-23-2018 at 05:46 AM.
post #88 of 131 Old 07-23-2018, 01:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Quote:
Hey that clone uses a different colored version of the same case as the ol' Zinwell, but throw in an HDMI slot. Well and the Zinwells I still see listed as new, although one time I saw one listed in a more CM-7004 looking case.

Somehow I suspect a lot of this current stuff has one or just a very few sources, but many brands. Even the Zinwell looks to have been sold off, spun off, or outsourced and many of its original nice features disappeared. (timer, favorites, etc.).

post #89 of 131 Old 07-23-2018, 02:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

The CM-7004 remote (which is actually a DVR+ "enhanced" remote) also lacks the Insignia's "Favorites" and "Pass-Thru" buttons, effectively disabling those functions. (That would explain the "loop through" notation on the RF output connector.)

Still waiting on an answer. Today I used my roomie remote and input different codes of products from channel master and insignia to see if any worked on this box. One of the cm worked but provided no new features like favorites. Basically it controlled the box the same way as the remote though it has more buttons.
post #90 of 131 Old 07-23-2018, 02:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I used my roomie remote and input different codes of products from channel master and insignia to see if any worked on this box. One of the cm worked but provided no new features like favorites.
Disappointing but still interesting. I wouldn't have thought the CM-7004 has been on the market long enough to make it into any universal remote code libraries. What model remote was it, and which code worked?

When I first got the 7004, I tried the remote on my DVR+, but the DVR+ didn't respond so I know the 7004 and DVR+ use different remote codes. But perhaps the 7004 uses the same remote codes as some other CM device. (7003?)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Converter Box (CECB)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page