AVSForum Blu-ray Disc Review Database - Page 6 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 66Likes

post #151 of 298 Old 07-10-2015, 12:17 PM

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7012 Post(s)
Liked: 3562
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philnick View Post
I'm running 7.1 LPCM over HDMI (to avoid ever having to deal with dropouts from disk-authoring issues) from my Oppo BDP-93 into my Yamaha RX-A1030.
1. I assume that on 5.1 disks the Oppo is duplicating the side signals on the back channels. (In my Oppo's setup, the "Downmix" mode is set to 7.1.)

2. Would changing the sound mode on the Yamaha from "Straight" to DTS Neo:6 or Dolby Pro LogicIIx invoke rear surround derivation even with the player set to send LPCM? Would I need to tell the Oppo not to send 7.1 but only 5.1? I don't want to have to manually go in to Setup on both machines to switch things back and forth - particularly since having the rears simply duplicate the sides is fine with me on 5.1 films.
1.Your Oppo BR player "Downmix" feature selection is ONLY for its multichannel ANALOG output, not for he digital HDMI out...that, it's the domain of your Yamaha receiver...from the audio mode you select in your receiver.

2. And yes, it would. It don't matter what you select in your Oppo between 5.1 and 7.1.
* If a Blu-ray is encoded with a Dolby TrueHD 7.1 or DTS-HD MA 7.1 audio soundtrack your Yamaha will decode it as is.
If it is a 5.1-channel audio soundtrack, simply select Dolby PLIIx or DTS Neo:6 ... to have those two additional back surround speakers activated.

► And simply set (select) the HDMI Audio Out of your Oppo BR player menu to "Bitstream".
Your Yamaha receiver is doing all the decoding from what your BR player send to it as it is encoded on the disc.
If you select LPCM in your Oppo, then your Oppo is doing the decoding internally, and your Yamaha is reproducing it....but in your case there is no need to select LPCM. It is more for legacy receivers without Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD MA sound decoders, and the odd problematic Blu-ray disc improperly encoded by some studios (very rare).

But if you prefer LPCM it's fine too; just use your Yamaha receiver's audio modes (Listening Mode) with 5.1 audio soundtracks ... DPLIIx or dts Neo:6 on top of multichannel PCM.

Last edited by NorthSky; 07-10-2015 at 12:25 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 298 Old 07-28-2015, 11:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 404 Post(s)
Liked: 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthSky View Post
1.Your Oppo BR player "Downmix" feature selection is ONLY for its multichannel ANALOG output, not for he digital HDMI out...that, it's the domain of your Yamaha receiver...from the audio mode you select in your receiver.

2. And yes, it would. It don't matter what you select in your Oppo between 5.1 and 7.1.
* If a Blu-ray is encoded with a Dolby TrueHD 7.1 or DTS-HD MA 7.1 audio soundtrack your Yamaha will decode it as is.
If it is a 5.1-channel audio soundtrack, simply select Dolby PLIIx or DTS Neo:6 ... to have those two additional back surround speakers activated.

► And simply set (select) the HDMI Audio Out of your Oppo BR player menu to "Bitstream".
Your Yamaha receiver is doing all the decoding from what your BR player send to it as it is encoded on the disc.
If you select LPCM in your Oppo, then your Oppo is doing the decoding internally, and your Yamaha is reproducing it....but in your case there is no need to select LPCM. It is more for legacy receivers without Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD MA sound decoders, and the odd problematic Blu-ray disc improperly encoded by some studios (very rare).

But if you prefer LPCM it's fine too; just use your Yamaha receiver's audio modes (Listening Mode) with 5.1 audio soundtracks ... DPLIIx or dts Neo:6 on top of multichannel PCM.
With LPCM selected in my Oppo, and with its downmix setting at "7.1", 5.1 disks automatically play the side surround signals out the rears as well with the AVR set to "Straight" (no PLIIx or Neo:6 matrix decoding).

With Bitstream selected in the Oppo, the rears are silent on a 5.1 disk unless I activate PLIIx or Neo:6 matrix decoding. As soon as I play a 7.1 disk. the AVR reverts to "Straight" - and stays there even when I play a 5.1 disk until I once again manually select surround decoding.

Bitstream thus requires more work just to keep the rears playing. And in any case I'm not a fan of DSP soundfield generation, which tends to sound false to me - just like artificial 3D - which is what's used in most films - looks like animated "pop-up books" to me. If it was shot with one lens, show it in 2D.

At least having the rears play the same thing as the sides on 5.1 disks mimics what I would hear in a movie theater, with pairs of surround speakers - all playing the same thing - arrayed down the side walls.

I'll stick with LPCM and my 7.1 downmix setting.

post #153 of 298 Old 07-29-2015, 11:11 AM

I see; it works for the HDMI Audio Out too...LPCM down-mixed to 7.1 channels. >>> I am going to try that too, and see if it sounds as good or even better than Dolby Pro Logic IIx.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #154 of 298 Old 07-29-2015, 12:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 404 Post(s)
Liked: 185
Quote:
I see; it works for the HDMI Audio Out too...LPCM down-mixed to 7.1 channels. >>> I am going to try that too, and see if it sounds as good or even better than Dolby Pro Logic IIx.

Thanks.
Ok, time for me to backtrack. I just went down to my theater to verify that I had set my multichannel speaker setup to 7.1 downmix and found it set to 5.1 - and my rears were silent. So much for my theory.

I found that the only way to get surround sound from the rears on 5.1 material is inside my AVR, as you had said. It's a Yamaha Aventage RX-A1030 (two models back - which I just got new from Amazon, almost half price because of that fact).

Go to Sound Program, Surround Decode, press the up arrow to configure it, and while on the line for surround decoder press the Options button on the remote. This brings up a new menu, one of the entries being Extended Surround. Click on that and change it from Off to PLIIx Movie. This applies to all inputs.

Then, to keep pressing the Blu-ray Scene shortcut button from defeating that, go to that Scene, press up to configure it, and then click Save. Once you've saved it, it won't defeat the surround decoding.

Now, even in Bitstream, putting in a 5.1 or 7.1 disk will give you sound out of the rears, and it automatically shifts between the two modes.

I may have heard slightly better sound from Bitstream than from LPCM in switching back and forth, but there were so many steps in between. and there's expectation bias, so I'm not sure.

It makes sense to me to leave the audio in its original format as long as possible, so I'm now leaving the Oppo set to Bitstream except when and if a disk has authoring problems, in which case I'll switch to LPCM output.

post #155 of 298 Old 07-29-2015, 12:59 PM

Ha!
post #156 of 298 Old 09-15-2015, 02:17 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Talking Database Update to include XMEN DOFP: Rogue Cut?

Hi Lee & Ralph,

I know you both are busy, that being said, are there any plans in the future to include X-MEN Days Of Future Past: Rogue Cut to the review database as a direct link to the review (as the other movies link directly to their respective review) ?

Thanks in advance for any info.

Be blessed.
Ralph Potts likes this.
post #157 of 298 Old 09-16-2015, 05:21 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 1683 Post(s)
Liked: 6129
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebesthereis View Post
Hi Lee & Ralph,

I know you both are busy, that being said, are there any plans in the future to include X-MEN Days Of Future Past: Rogue Cut to the review database as a direct link to the review (as the other movies link directly to their respective review) ?

Thanks in advance for any info.

Be blessed.
Greetings,

Yes! My apologies, I have been remiss in keeping up with the weekly updates to the database. I will get everything caught in the coming days (including X-Men DOFP - The Rogue Cut )

Thanks for keeping us on our toes!

Regards,
thebesthereis likes this.

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
Follow me on Twitter @RalphAVSreviews
post #158 of 298 Old 09-16-2015, 06:45 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Database updated

Greetings,

The database has been updated.

Regards,
mogrub and thebesthereis like this.

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
post #159 of 298 Old 09-28-2015, 09:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 479 Post(s)
Liked: 228
Ralph,
Hello! Long time to miss your updates. I have updated the work in progress of making your movie database table viewable and I have promising results.

Basically I exchanged highlight coding on your post...Example:
[U][B]Spotlight Blu-ray Reviews[/B][/U]
and exchanged it with or added the jump link. Example:
[b][aname="Spotlight"]Spotlight[/aname][/b]

The jump links work in conjunction with the table code.

Did this action A~Z; Spotlight, Numbers, 3D and broke down the table to view cleanly.

It didn't take too long to adjust the orginal first post, but the hitch is not getting a Database error upon updating..
I've recieved this error twice in my test post forum in which I viewed and bounced around cleanly until I deleted the entire post to redo at such time as the server is not loaded with our fans.
SUCCESS AVS Forum Updated Movie Database Potts/Weber

Attached is the BB Code unparsed in a text file for your review.

Enjoy!!
PS Favorite movie to date is Tomorrowland. Keep up the great work.

Last edited by Woobieizer; 06-17-2016 at 01:31 PM.
post #160 of 298 Old 10-01-2015, 05:21 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woobieizer View Post
Ralph,
Hello! Long time to miss your updates. I have updated the work in progress of making your movie database table viewable and I have promising results.

Basically I exchanged highlight coding on your post...Example:
[U][B]Spotlight Blu-ray Reviews[/B][/U]
and exchanged it with or added the jump link. Example:
[b][aname="Spotlight"]Spotlight[/aname][/b]

The jump links work in conjunction with the table code.

Did this action A~Z; Spotlight, Numbers, 3D and broke down the table to view cleanly.

It didn't take too long to adjust the orginal first post, but the hitch is not getting a Database error upon updating..
I've recieved this error twice in my test post forum in which I viewed and bounced around cleanly until I deleted the entire post to redo at such time as the server is not loaded with our fans.
SUCCESS AVS Forum Updated Movie Database Potts/Weber

Attached is the BB Code unparesed in a text file for your review.

Enjoy!!
PS Favorite movie to date is Tomorrowland. Keep up the great work.
Greetings,

This is terrific! Thanks so much for going to the trouble. Let me play around with it. I will reach out with any questions or issues before converting.

Regards,
thebesthereis likes this.

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
post #161 of 298 Old 10-01-2015, 06:08 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Welcome to the Revised Blu-ray Review Database!!

Greetings,

The Blu-ray review database has been revised, thanks to the hard work of forum member Woobieizer.

There is now an alphabetized table at the top and bottom of the listing that will take you directly to each group. This makes searching/scrolling much quicker. Thanks again to Woobieizer and to all for their support and suggestions.

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
post #162 of 298 Old 10-03-2015, 08:43 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Under A or T?

Thanks for the database update and for all the hard work you guys put in! Much appreciation!

Just a quick question, would The Avengers: Age Of Ultron be listed under the letter A or the letter T?

Thanks in advance.

Best
post #163 of 298 Old 10-03-2015, 09:03 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebesthereis View Post
Thanks for the database update and for all the hard work you guys put in! Much appreciation!

Just a quick question, would The Avengers: Age Of Ultron be listed under the letter A or the letter T?

Thanks in advance.

Best
Greetings,

It would listed under "A". I haven't added it to the database yet..

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
post #164 of 298 Old 10-03-2015, 08:08 PM

Awesome work guys!
post #165 of 298 Old 10-04-2015, 10:26 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 21
The link in the database to the review of "Once Upon a Time in America Director's Cut" is not working properly. Other links nearby such as "Oblivion" work fine, so I assume it's not my computer.

Can you tell me if this was the 229 minute or the 251 minute version? I presume the former. Thanks.

Rex
post #166 of 298 Old 10-04-2015, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jencas View Post
The link in the database to the review of "Once Upon a Time in America Director's Cut" is not working properly.
Other links nearby such as "Oblivion" work fine, so I assume it's not my computer.

Can you tell me if this was the 229 minute or the 251 minute version? I presume the former. Thanks.
♦ 251* minutes: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/showthread.php?p=27846041

* Works ok on my end.
post #167 of 298 Old 10-04-2015, 04:42 PM

Quote:
♦ 251* minutes: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/showthread.php?p=27846041

* Works ok on my end.
Thanks, the link in your post works for me, the link in the database still does not.

Rex
post #168 of 298 Old 10-04-2015, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Thanks, the link in your post works for me, the link in the database still does not.
Sorry about that; I just don't why...are you using an iPhone, or iTablet, or iMac?
{I'm using a laptop myself with MOS - Microsoft Operating System...just before Windows 10.}
post #169 of 298 Old 10-04-2015, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Sorry about that; I just don't why...are you using an iPhone, or iTablet, or iMac?
{I'm using a laptop myself with MOS - Microsoft Operating System...just before Windows 10.}
Dell desktop running Windows 10 and both IE10 and the new browser Edge(?) - both give the same result, which so far only happens with that particular title. All others work so far. Just one of life's little mysteries/irritations, I guess. Don't trouble yourself about it unless it happens with other titles or to other people.

Thanks,

Rex
post #170 of 298 Old 10-04-2015, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Dell desktop running Windows 10 and both IE10 and the new browser Edge(?) - both give the same result, which so far only happens with that particular title. All others work so far. Just one of life's little mysteries/irritations, I guess. Don't trouble yourself about it unless it happens with other titles or to other people.
Thanks,
Lol, no sweat. ...I'm like you...just curious why it happens like that...to you and not me. ...And you're probably right; it'll eventually happen with other titles, lol. ...And with different people, lol.

* This is still a great great Database of Ralph and Lee's Blu-ray movie reviews...I like it, a lot.
post #171 of 298 Old 10-05-2015, 09:24 AM

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Not sure if this is the same issue as the guy above, but the Interstellar link redirected me to the main review forum page. Had to just search for it. Weird.
post #172 of 298 Old 10-05-2015, 10:14 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:

Thanks,
Quote:
Originally Posted by emerson1 View Post
Not sure if this is the same issue as the guy above, but the Interstellar link redirected me to the main review forum page. Had to just search for it. Weird.
Greetings,

I checked both Interstellar and Once upon a time in America and both correctly link to the review. Not sure why it's not working for you..

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
post #173 of 298 Old 10-05-2015, 10:22 PM

Quote:
I clicked on 'Interstellar' and it brought me exactly where it should; @ the main original review by Ralph.
...From the Blu-ray movie titles Database => https://www.avsforum.com/forum/showthread.php?p=32780497

Last edited by NorthSky; 10-05-2015 at 10:25 PM.
post #174 of 298 Old 10-06-2015, 01:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Users having link problems only please.

Quote:
The link in the database to the review of "Once Upon a Time in America Director's Cut" is not working properly. Other links nearby such as "Oblivion" work fine, so I assume it's not my computer.

Quote:
@jencas
@emerson1

I'd like to hear from the users that are experiencing situational misdirects like these. I've worked with some users on AVS to correct, or at least remedy URL that are parsed incorrectly for various browsers.

What I have linked below is an extracted list of movies that share a common link format as seen in the two pictures.

I have found 288 similar items that are now consolidated in the test post below. Please hit as many links as you are willing and post your results within that thread.

Probable Links not Landable, Sorted Test Area

post #175 of 298 Old 10-06-2015, 03:52 PM

Steven Spielberg Director's Collection ... when I clicked on it it brought me to Million Dollar Arm.

* I only tried a dozen BR titles @ random, till I hit a glitch with that title above.
I will try some more as days and weeks go by, and let you know. Give me couple months or so and I will have check them all.
post #176 of 298 Old 10-06-2015, 05:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

The batch we're working on have/lack within their html the ability to land specifically.

You'll see the link is missing -forum- and I believe the php.do or whatever the php process is; grants more leeway to user logged in as opposed to user as guest. In other words, it guess better or searches harder for logged in user.

EXAMPLE:
These user above us were landing on Forum whilst requesting Thread:
PHP Code:
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/187-official-avs-forum-blu-ray-disc-reviews/ 
Whereas they were requesting or pointed to:
PHP Code:
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/187-official-avs-blu-ray-disc-reviews/1939801-interstellar-blu-ray-official-avs-forum-review.html 
Compare both lines and notice the difference.

The guest user will not find the Thread 1939801 as the php will stop thinking and dump them right on 187 (the Forum ID). Path of least resistance no pun intented

Idealy we would want to land on the Post: 32780497
PHP Code:
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/187-official-avs-forum-blu-ray-disc-reviews/1939801-interstellar-blu-ray-official-avs-forum-review.html#post32780497 
But retrofitting all the done works is/ would be a daunting task unmasking the Post ID and keeping the A/V = ###, as the reviews go from old VB to Huddler to new VB.

Thanks for finding the lurker.

PHP Code:
[post=28188426]Steven SpielbergDirector's Collection -  A/V = 87[/post] 
Ralph Potts likes this.
post #177 of 298 Old 10-06-2015, 10:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Up to date (Spy, San Andreas 3D, My Own Private Idaho) and includes the Steven Spielberg Director's Collection issue Plus "Movies On Deck" linky.

New On Deck notice hover (yellow)

Many Thanks!!
S
Ralph Potts likes this.

post #178 of 298 Old 10-07-2015, 06:45 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Greetings,

Database updated. Thanks so much Bill!!

Regards,
Woobieizer likes this.

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
post #179 of 298 Old 10-25-2015, 03:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Red face

Updated if needed:

Fixed Edward Scissor Hand link

Added to Spotlight:
My Fair Lady 50th Anniversary Edition

Added to 3D
Jurassic World 3D

Added to A~Z
Dope
Testament to Youth
Back to the Future 30th Anniversary Trilogy

Regards!

post #180 of 298 Old 10-28-2015, 08:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Thumbs up Change Log

Ralph,
I regard your time very much and want you to have one less mundane task to fiddle with.
In that respect this is my method of keeping up with you and Lee.

I use the forum sort function to sort by date a thread is posted:

There I can see what may not have made it to the new Home page and still capture the first post ID number, Title, and rating. This info is then manipulated to a bbcode for parsing. Then it is copied/sorted alphabetically into the working version.

Using either a "Quoted" first post from your database working version or my local txt file copy, I then can compare/use a freeware program called ''ExamDiff" to compare the changes done to a dated txt file for the years of reviews.

The change log in plain text to date is:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Change Log
Added:
Southpaw
South Park: The Complete 18th Season
Corrected spelling to Age of Ultorn
The Fifth Element
Leon: The Professional (2015)
Sorted: Leon: The Professional (2009)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Ralph Potts likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Official AVS Forum® Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Tags
<<. , 3d Hdtv , Avatar 3d Blu Ray Collectors Edition , Battle Royale The Complete Collection Blu Ray , Blu Ray Movies , John Carter Two Disc Blu Ray Dvd Combo , National Lampoons Animal House Blu Ray , The Adventures Of Tintin Two Disc Blu Ray Dvd Combo Digital Copy , The Big Lebowski Blu Ray Dvd Digital Copy , The Green Hornet Three Disc Combo Blu Ray 3d Blu Ray Dvd , The Hustler Blu Ray Book , Tora Tora Tora Blu Ray Book

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page