Earth (Blu-ray) Official AVSForum Review - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 18 Old 09-02-2009, 08:07 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1682 Post(s)
Liked: 6117
attachment.php?attachmentid=151599&d=1251903450
The Review at a Glance: (max score: 5 )

Film: attachment.php?attachmentid=109945&d=1210373692

Extras: attachment.php?attachmentid=109944&d=1210373692

Audio/Video total rating:

( Max score: 100 )

Studio and Year: Disney - 2007
MPAA Rating: G
Feature running time: 90 Minutes
Genre: Documentary

Disc Format: BD-50
Encoding: AVC (MPEG-4)
Video Aspect: 1.78:1
Resolution: 1080p/24

Audio Format(s): English DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio, French/Spanish Dolby Digital 5.1
Subtitles: English SDH, French, Spanish
Starring: James Earl Jones (Narrator)
Directed by: Mark Linfield & Alaster Fothergill
Music by: George Fenton & performed by the Berliner Philharmoniker
Written by: Leslie Megahey, Mark Linfield & Alaster Fothergill
Region Code: A

Blu-ray Disc release Date: September 1, 2009

"Our planet as you have rarely seen it"

Film Synopsis:

An epic story of adventure, starring some of the most magnificent and courageous creatures alive, awaits you in Earth. Disneynature brings you a remarkable story of three animal families on a journey across our planet - polar bears, elephants and humpback whales. Filmed with spectacular clarity and beauty, Earth is both majestic and intimate as it captures rare footage of nature's wildest and most elusive animals. From the landmark Disneynature collection, Earth is an astonishing and heartwarming film filled with adventure, suspense and humor that will take your breath away.

My Take:

attachment.php?attachmentid=151596&d=1251903290

In the Arctic, a mother polar bear trailed by her two cubs searches for food as their icy hunting grounds melt away. A herd of African elephants slowly traverses the arid Kalahari Desert toward the water-rich Okavango Delta. A humpback whale and her calf make a 4,000-mile journey in an epic migration that takes them from tropical waters all the way to Antarctica. Remarkable high-definition footage follows these creatures and more to places human beings rarely see, capturing unique worlds populated by Mandarin ducks and birds of paradise, as well as a pride of lions and a vast caribou herd. Filled with surprising facts and extraordinary images, Earth is a dazzling portrait of life on our planet.

The first feature film from Disney’s new motion picture label DisneyNature, Earth is a documentary film that features beautifully captured high definition images of our planet and some of its plant and animal species as they encounter the struggles associated with both its changing environment and the circle of life. The footage captured in this documentary should look familiar to fans of the BBC series Planet Earth as it has been eloquently condensed into a film length version by Disney. Having seen Planet Earth I think that this provides a family friendly overview that offers a fair summation for those who may not want to sit through its extensive (yet more satisfying) 500 plus minutes. It was evident that the editing took care to avoid revealing the more gory aspects of the predatory kill but provided enough that the outcome was obvious while avoiding the details. The original series was shot in 204 locations, in 62 countries covering 7 continents. The segments chosen for this film were excellent as they covered a variety of locales with incredible footage of feeding frenzied sailfish, migrating cranes (flying over the Himalayas!), polar bear cubs, and herds of migrating elephants and caribou (to name a few). Keeping this in perspective and not making a comparison to Planet Earth I found it to be enjoyable, informative, and engaging from a presentation standpoint.

Parental Guide:

There is nothing contained in the film that would be inappropriate for younger viewers however it should be kept in mind that there is thematic material (predatory hunts etc.) that may disturb children.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100 / EXCELLENT = 83-91 / GOOD = 74-82 / AVERAGE = 65-73 / BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

Audio: 84

• Dynamics: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Low frequency extension: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Surround Sound presentation: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Clarity/Detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373692

• Dialogue Reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

Video: 92

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Resolution/Clarity: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

• Black level/Shadow detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373699

• Color reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

• Fleshtones: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

• Compression: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699
attachment.php?attachmentid=151597&d=1251903290

Earth comes to Blu-ray Disc from Disney featuring 1080p AVC encoded video that has an average bitrate of 28 mbps and lossless DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio sound that has an average bitrate of 3.4 mbps.

This is a reference quality high definition presentation that boasts brilliant colors, superlative depth, and an abundance of high level detail. The nature defined color palette is alluring as the deep, vivid, reds, succulent blues, and resplendent earth toned hues leap from the 1.78:1 framed video. Contrast balance is spot on as the various shades of gray are gradationally revealing and whites appear bright with crisp highlights that preserve detail. Blacks are delineated, deep, and rich, which works hand in hand with the definitive shadow detail to provide low level images with excellent perspective and depth of field. Resolution is impeccable as the vastness and scope of the recorded elements offers lucid, three dimensional acuity that is extraordinary. These beautifully captured images of our planet can be captivating as the richness of color, transparently rendered detail, and near infinite sense of depth and dimension are assuredly conveyed in high definition. Reminiscent of the original BBC series I thought this looked amazing.

The lossless DTS-HD MA soundtrack deliver the elements contained within this documentary film with aplomb. James Earl Jones’ running narration was clearly rendered with crisp articulation and smooth intonation. I felt that it could have been a bit more forward within the front soundstage but otherwise presented very well. The front three channels are integration nicely and combine high level detail/clarity with pinpoint imaging. George Fenton’s music had appreciable top end air, smoothly rendered instrumentation, and discerning focus as its primary elements were delivered through the front speakers with low level rear channel ambience used to broaden the soundstage. The surrounds are effectively used to generate an enveloping soundscape filled with the various animal sounds of the tropical forest, near field panning effects and blowing winds. LFE presence is notable as bass response extends deep enough to shake the room during a caribou stampede, impending thunderstorm and raging deserts winds. This isn’t an aggressive surround mix but this audio presentation mated perfectly with the source and sounded great.

Bonus Features:

• Disney’s Living Menu feature - an interactive feature with uses selectable points on the earth that offer pop-up trivia, video clips, and other ecological information that is based upon locations around the planet. Each month new locations (hot spots) will appear with new information about those regions.

• (HD) Earth diaries: The making of Earth the movie – 42 minutes

• Filmmaker annotations – Bonusview pop-up facts/trivia/commentary

• Bonus DVD – Standard definition copy of Earth
attachment.php?attachmentid=151598&d=1251903290

Final Thoughts:

Earth is the first film in Disney’s newly created DisneyNature series and presents audiences with an informative and beautifully crafted look at our planet as captured by the hard working filmmakers who brought us the BBC documentary series Planet Earth. Disney has done a masterful job in bringing this abridged version to Blu-ray disc with a new music score and James Earl Jones’ commanding narration. As you might expect it looks stunning and features excellent lossless sound quality. The bonus content isn’t extensive but does include an interesting behind the scenes look at the production via Blu-ray friendly pop-ups/commentary/trivia and Disney’s innovative Living Menu feature. If you already own Planet Earth this won’t warrant adding to your collection however it still makes for interesting viewing for those who enjoy beautifully shot nature/documentary films. Feel free to give it a rent or pick it up if so inclined.

attachment.php?attachmentid=109949&d=1210373731

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS20 1080p High Definition Front Projector (Calibrated by Jeff Meier)
Carada Precision Brilliant White 96" Screen
Oppo BDP-83 Universal disc/Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Toshiba HD-XA2 HD DVD Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Sony Playstation 3 Blu-ray disc Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Oppo 970HD universal disc DVD Player (480i HDMI)
Denon AVR 5308CI THX Ultra 2 Preamp/Video Processor
Sherbourn Technologies - 7/200 Seven Channel Amplifier
Philips TSU9400 Pro Series Touch Panel Remote Control
Canton "Ergo" Series speakers
Axiom Audio QS8 Quadpolar speakers
SV Sound PB-13 Ultra (Rosenut finish)
APC AV S15BLK Power Conditioner/Surge Protector
Furman SPR-20i Stable Power Regulator
Wireworld, VizionWare, Audioquest, Best Deal Cables - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
Cool Components - CP-CP102 cooling package

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
Follow me on Twitter @RalphAVSreviews
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 09-02-2009, 08:24 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Just watched this one last night.
As far as BluRay demo discs go, I have NEVER seen a nicer looking movie.
post #3 of 18 Old 09-02-2009, 08:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 199
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormshadow4life View Post

DITTO!!
Outstanding PQ and nice soundtrack as well.
Thanks Ralph for the review.

HT Setup: Speakers - M&K S-5000 Monitors FL-C-FR-RL-RR on ST-1 titling stands - M&K M7 side surround speakers - M&K B1600 Height speakers - Atmos speakers 4X M&K M5's - 2x M&K MX-350 Mk II Subs -
Processor - Marantz 8805 (soon) - B&K 7270 THX 7 Channel Amp - Denon AVR 4810CI (2nd amp) - Oppo BDP-203 - QNAP TVS-863+ Turbo NAS 64TB - LG OLED 65" C8
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 Old 09-02-2009, 09:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Is that Anthem up and running yet?
post #5 of 18 Old 09-02-2009, 09:28 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Is all the footage from the Planet Earth series?

Oh, and I think you mean 500 plus minutes, not hours (for the Planet Earth series).

Thanks for the review, I look forward to watching this one.
post #6 of 18 Old 09-02-2009, 10:10 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by osofast240sx View Post

Is that Anthem up and running yet?

Greetings,

It's on order. I hope to receive it later this month..

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
post #7 of 18 Old 09-02-2009, 10:11 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fakeplasticdream View Post

Oh, and I think you mean 500 plus minutes, not hours (for the Planet Earth series).

Thanks for the review, I look forward to watching this one.

Greetings,

Thanks fpd. I made the correction

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
post #8 of 18 Old 09-02-2009, 10:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormshadow4life View Post

As far as BluRay demo discs go, I have NEVER seen a nicer looking movie.

This disc was made for Home Theater... reminded me of the old "Wonderful World of Disney" from way back when...
post #9 of 18 Old 09-02-2009, 11:39 AM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by fakeplasticdream View Post

I was wondering the same thing. I already have Planet Earth on Blu Ray. Would it be worth picking up this as well...or is it basically the same thing?
post #10 of 18 Old 09-02-2009, 12:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 199
I didn't notice any different footage.
Looks like it's all from the Planet Earth series.
Different editing, narration, and musical score are the main reasons you might want to consider this vs Planet Earth, IMO.

HT Setup: Speakers - M&K S-5000 Monitors FL-C-FR-RL-RR on ST-1 titling stands - M&K M7 side surround speakers - M&K B1600 Height speakers - Atmos speakers 4X M&K M5's - 2x M&K MX-350 Mk II Subs -
Processor - Marantz 8805 (soon) - B&K 7270 THX 7 Channel Amp - Denon AVR 4810CI (2nd amp) - Oppo BDP-203 - QNAP TVS-863+ Turbo NAS 64TB - LG OLED 65" C8
post #11 of 18 Old 09-02-2009, 01:33 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjkusaf1 View Post

I was wondering the same thing. I already have Planet Earth on Blu Ray. Would it be worth picking up this as well...or is it basically the same thing?

yeah, i didn't notice much different (as far as footage). it's basically a super short version of Planet Earth. If you have kids though, it would probably be worth buying for them. But if you already own Planet Earth, you don't need this
post #12 of 18 Old 09-02-2009, 02:09 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 1627 Post(s)
Liked: 2234
It's being discussed in another forum that 30% of the footage came from additional hours shot during the making of Planet Earth (but did not appear in the final TV production). The reason for the additional footage was to complete the storylines of the three animal families. Please remember this is what's being discussed at another website...so take it for what it's worth.
post #13 of 18 Old 09-02-2009, 02:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I watched this and I found it interesting, but Planet Earth is a lot better. With that being said, it is not to discredit or take anything away from Earth. A lot of people have told me they simply can't sit down and watch Planet Earth because they either don't have the the time or it would bore them. I think one of the reasons Earth has been made is for that particular audience. Also, this film is good for kids. It will keep them tuned to the TV and not turn away. I applaud Disney's efforts for putting this together and for also making a stellar Blu-ray presentation.
post #14 of 18 Old 09-03-2009, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rboster View Post

It's being discussed in another forum that 30% of the footage came from additional hours shot during the making of Planet Earth (but did not appear in the final TV production). The reason for the additional footage was to complete the storylines of the three animal families. Please remember this is what's being discussed at another website...so take it for what it's worth.

I heard an interview with one of the people that made the film, Alastair Fothergill, and he stated something similar, though I don't remember the exact amount that was new. I know it was a pretty decent percentage though because I had wondered the same thing.

EDIT: Here's a link to CNN where Fothergill says "The movie has over 40 percent original footage. It has a very distinctly different story line than the TV series,"

http://edition.cnn.com/2009/TECH/sci...ney/index.html
post #15 of 18 Old 09-03-2009, 07:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Thank for the review.I will buy this one.
post #16 of 18 Old 09-04-2009, 07:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Great review Ralph. I had a chance to see it while on the Disney cruise ship in May...It looked great in the Walt Disney theater and the kids loved it. For that reason alone I will add it to my Blu library. I do have the Planet Earth series in HDdvd, no problem in adding this...it's quality stuff!

Love for all things Hi-def...Losing count; 200 plus bluray, 500 plus dvd, 30 plus HDdvd and a rapidly growing 50 plus in the cloud.

post #17 of 18 Old 09-10-2009, 06:07 AM

Liked: 12
Great videotography. I haven't watched the Planet Earth series, but this film was beautifully shot. My only comment, though not negative was that the version I watched was not narrated by James Earl Jones. It was narrated by Patrick Stewart. Though he's just as articulate as Jones, I'm just wondering if there are different version circulating with different narration?

*EDIT*
Yep, looked up on IMDB and there appears to be three version of narration. James Earl Jones (main), Patrick Stewart (English version), and Ulrich Tukur (German version).

My web-o-information:
http://sites.google.com/site/maycreates/
Where I discuss the following projects
-DIY multi-zoning music distribution
-HTPC
-MediaPVR
-UnRAID Server
-and other projects
post #18 of 18 Old 09-11-2009, 03:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Thought this was an excellent documentary movie especially with James Earl Jones narrating it.

Collect.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Official AVS Forum® Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page