Inglourious Basterds (Blu-ray) Official AVSForum Review - Page 3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 96 Old 12-18-2009, 08:34 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I did the firmware upgrade and unplugged it. The movie played fine after the upgrade.

Frustrated that I went to the trouble for a movie I didn't enjoy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 96 Old 12-18-2009, 10:29 AM
Toe
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Quoted: 2734 Post(s)
Liked: 3601
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrentLA View Post

I did the firmware upgrade and unplugged it. The movie played fine after the upgrade.

Frustrated that I went to the trouble for a movie I didn't enjoy.

I guess you didnt buy the wrong player after all!
post #63 of 96 Old 12-18-2009, 12:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked: 139
I enjoyed this one but don't see the rewatch potential that films like Pulp Fiction and Jackie Brown, or Kill Bill have.

Hard to rewrite history. Makes the movie somewhere between fact and fiction.

Good strong performance by Brad Pitt along with consistently good pq and aq.

I'd definitely recommend a rental first.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 96 Old 12-18-2009, 02:26 PM

I took the BD back to walmart and they credited me with an exchange AND cash back for a regular DVD, they had not a single BD version anywhere in the store, I believe they were yanked en masse.

Not a bad movie, had me riveted almost through though the whole part with the ominous suspense factor, ya just gotta love to hate those Nazis.

I tell you what it kinda makes you wonder about this film and any hidden meaning, like scalp bounties.

Anyway I would say its a film you do have to buy.
post #65 of 96 Old 12-18-2009, 10:45 PM
Toe

Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Quoted: 2734 Post(s)
Liked: 3601
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post

So the BD30 wont play this? This would be the first disc that my BD30 has not played if true. Might have to bring the PS3 downstairs for this one.

BD30 played this no problem.

Great movie, fantastic A/V
post #66 of 96 Old 12-19-2009, 03:13 AM

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 3316 Post(s)
Liked: 2174
Quote:
Originally Posted by aydu View Post

I enjoyed this one but don't see the rewatch potential that films like Pulp Fiction and Jackie Brown, or Kill Bill have.

Hard to rewrite history. Makes the movie somewhere between fact and fiction.

Good strong performance by Brad Pitt along with consistently good pq and aq.

I'd definitely recommend a rental first.

I agree definitley a rental but will buy when it gets cheaper. But I thought the opposite Brad Pitt wasnt that great at all.

God Bless!
Equipment: Bose Soundbar; 1951 Philco Model 50-T701 Black and White tabletop TV;Projection :HANIMEX ZOOM 8 MM PROJECTOR
post #67 of 96 Old 12-19-2009, 09:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Saw this one at the movies and loved so just bought it on blu-ray cant wait to watch it again I really enjoyed it at the movies .
post #68 of 96 Old 12-19-2009, 10:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 203
Had no issues playing this blu-ray on my Denon 2010CI player.
It was a thoroughly enjoyable movie with great performances, IMO.

HT Setup: Speakers - M&K S-5000 Monitors FL-C-FR-RL-RR on ST-1 titling stands - M&K 4X M7 surround speakers - Atmos speakers 4X M&K M5's - 2x M&K MX-350 Mk II Subs -
Processor - Marantz 8805 - B&K 7270 THX 7 Channel Amp - Denon AVR 4810CI (2nd amp) - Oppo BDP-103 - Oppo BDP-203 - QNAP TVS-863+ Turbo NAS 64TB - LG OLED 65" C8
post #69 of 96 Old 12-19-2009, 11:05 PM

Just curious, I just watched Inglourious Basterds on blu ray having not seen it in theaters and noticed some pops and crackle in the soundtrack music at times. Is this intentional by Tarantino or did I get a badly pressed disc?
post #70 of 96 Old 12-19-2009, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summa View Post

Memorex??? Really? I had no idea they were still around, let alone making BD players.

Yes, but I'd recommend other brands. It works and looks great, but is very slow and support is terrible. I did manage to update the firmware today and watch Quantum of Solace for the first time since buying it last March.
post #71 of 96 Old 12-21-2009, 08:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 20
I really never read other reviews before watching a film or pay very little attention to them at all, and seldom agree with others. With that said here is my "review" on NF FWIW - LOL (very strange a few do agree with me - now that is even funnier!) Here goes:

5 stars without reservation. This is a must see. While this is not a true life story put on film, it is entirely plausible and for that reason very real. Acting, Directing, Editing, Sound Track are each 5 stars all on their own! BD picture is excellent, almost reference quality. HD Audio is reference quality and let me explain why: When the movie first starts the music is played with a mild distortion (most will not pick up on), but played with a very noticeable warble like an old 78 plastic that cannot maintain correct speed and without the snap crackle and pop.

Therefore most will feel at the beginning just another also ran movie, with sub-standard sound. As the movie progresses the sound track continues to expand with spatial dimension that is very hard to express in words. By the time the movie reaches opening movie night at the cinema with Melanie Laurent among all the Nazi's, the music (HD Audio), places you in the cinema lobby with everyone else. Simply outstanding.

Like I said this is a Must See on so many levels. IMHO this movie should win every award possible.
post #72 of 96 Old 12-21-2009, 08:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 2060 Post(s)
Liked: 2275
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrspock47 View Post

Just curious, I just watched Inglourious Basterds on blu ray having not seen it in theaters and noticed some pops and crackle in the soundtrack music at times. Is this intentional by Tarantino or did I get a badly pressed disc?

I enjoyed the movie very much. Didn't think much of seeing it in the theaters but I started reading some of the reviews and ended up being positively suprised. The video quality is very good and the audio is very good in most parts but I also noticed some crackling in the sound tracks. Specifically at the very beginning of the movie in the intro it gets really loud and my center sounded like it had distortion (have all Von Schweikert speakers up front). 99% sure it wasn't my speakers and that is was the audio on the blue ray disk...at least that is my story and I am sticking with it.
post #73 of 96 Old 12-21-2009, 09:38 PM

The pops and crackle are intentional in the film the soundtrack CD is the same with certain tracks.

In fact the same thing applies to many of Quentin's films, Death Proof as an example.
post #74 of 96 Old 12-22-2009, 01:45 PM

i have a panasonic bd-60 that wouldnt play this disc so i went to panasonic website and downloaded latest firmware on a cdr installed it and plays fine now,heres linkhttp://www2.panasonic.com/consumer-electronics/support/Video/Blu-ray-Disc-Players/Drivers-Downloads/model.DMP-BD605K.D#ts
post #75 of 96 Old 12-22-2009, 03:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 123
I enjoyed the movie myself and can't wait to watch the BD. I know it's wrapped and waiting for me under the Christmas tree. Torture...

Projector: LG PF1500W; Receiver: Sony STR-DN1080; Speakers: Monitor Audio Controlled Performance Inwalls and Inceilings; Subwoofer(s): SVS PC-2000; Bluray Player: Sony BDP-S6500; Remote: Roomie Remote; Cables: Monoprice
post #76 of 96 Old 12-23-2009, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrspock47 View Post

Thats totally Tarantino. He likes to keep things old school. Notice the old style Universal Studios before movie starts. Tarantino originally wanted Ennio Morricone to compose the soundtrack for the film. Morricone was unable to because of the sped-up production schedule of the film conflicted with his scoring of the Giuseppe Tornatore feature Baarìa. However, Tarantino did use several tracks by Morricone from previous films in the soundtrack. Morricone has done many spaghetti western soundtracks, which is what is played through just about the whole movie.
post #77 of 96 Old 12-23-2009, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnatalli View Post

I enjoyed the movie myself and can't wait to watch the BD. I know it's wrapped and waiting for me under the Christmas tree. Torture...

Mine too. I'm pullin my hair out. lol
post #78 of 96 Old 12-26-2009, 09:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 364 Post(s)
Liked: 331
I am a big Tarantino fan and love movies about WWII so I was looking forward to this but unfortunately found it disappointing. I didnt think it was bad but it wasnt that good either. The ending was ok but overall I think it was just too long and seemed to drag at times.

Its an excellent Bluray with some outstanding audio especially at the end but wish I would have rented it.

-
Upgraditus is a real disease
post #79 of 96 Old 01-01-2010, 08:07 PM

My wife and I put in IB last night and had some problems getting it to load. It would get to the main menu and when you pressed enter for play it would ge to the screen saying blu ray is a new format blah blah blah, it would freeze up. I hit top menu, went back and choose scene selection and just went to the first scene and it played fine. I'm going to try it again with no memory card in and see if that will work like you have to do with the 15th anny version of stargate. Using a panasonic bd 80. If anyone has any other tricks, let me know. I got my copy from amazon as a present for my wife for christmas. I've seen others have gotten theirs from target and wal mart. I wonder if it's a bad disc or software or whatever else. Thanks all.
post #80 of 96 Old 01-02-2010, 08:31 AM

OK we put IB in last night without the memory card and it booted up and played just fine. Hopefully panasonic will come out with a fix for this on an upcoming update. Anyone having this problem with any other units? Just curious.
post #81 of 96 Old 01-02-2010, 08:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Seemed like this film was a weak one of Tarantino's films,just my opinion.
post #82 of 96 Old 01-02-2010, 12:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzyrigged View Post

My wife and I put in IB last night and had some problems getting it to load. It would get to the main menu and when you pressed enter for play it would ge to the screen saying blu ray is a new format blah blah blah, it would freeze up. I hit top menu, went back and choose scene selection and just went to the first scene and it played fine. I'm going to try it again with no memory card in and see if that will work like you have to do with the 15th anny version of stargate. Using a panasonic bd 80. If anyone has any other tricks, let me know. I got my copy from amazon as a present for my wife for christmas. I've seen others have gotten theirs from target and wal mart. I wonder if it's a bad disc or software or whatever else. Thanks all.

It seems that some players are having problems playing it including some panny players. My Sony 550 BD player had no problem loading or playing but I do have the latest firmware downloaded .
post #83 of 96 Old 01-02-2010, 10:38 PM

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Its too bad so many of you have had problems loading the disc. PS3 FTW!

The trailer does a disservice to the film. You think its gonna be Kill Bill with Nazzis. Some people might hold that against the film.

That thought is put to rest in the first scene in the cabin. The dialogue was sharp and the tension created was palpable. Great film. Could receive several Oscar nominations, but I won't hold my breath.

I know Tarantino wrote True Romance, but didn't Tony Scott direct it?
post #84 of 96 Old 01-04-2010, 08:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoUDont View Post

Its too bad so many of you have had problems loading the disc. PS3 FTW!

The trailer does a disservice to the film. You think its gonna be Kill Bill with Nazzis. Some people might hold that against the film.

That thought is put to rest in the first scene in the cabin. The dialogue was sharp and the tension created was palpable. Great film. Could receive several Oscar nominations, but I won't hold my breath.

I know Tarantino wrote True Romance, but didn't Tony Scott direct it?

YEs, Scott directed ROMANCE, QT write the screenplay (IIRC, he actually hoped to direct, but this was pre-RESEVOIR DOGS/PULP FICTION so the studio went w/ a "name")

On a Panny BD35 w/ the most current FW, this played perfectly. Similar hangups, however, happened to me w/ FUNNY PEOPLE - although deactivating BD Live connections fixed that one.

Money does not buy happiness. It can, however, buy you a giant boat that you can pull up alongside happiness. - David Lee Roth

post #85 of 96 Old 01-06-2010, 12:26 PM

One of my favorite movies of 09, was great!
post #86 of 96 Old 01-08-2010, 09:24 PM

Quoted: 204 Post(s)
Liked: 156
Best movie of the year I think.
post #87 of 96 Old 01-10-2010, 10:02 PM

i'm trying to figure something out about the burned-in subtitles. if i select French as Audio, what happens to the burned French/German subs? they still play even though i have the French audio on?

also-- does anyone have the Canadian Alliance Blu-ray? are the subs burned-in on that one as well? thanks.
post #88 of 96 Old 01-11-2010, 01:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 192 Post(s)
Liked: 69
I have a 3 or 4 year old school Sony BD player (BDP s300) that handled the movie just fine (except the normal 5 minute load time).

The sound and picture were both outstanding, I especially liked the Cat People (Putting Out Fire) sound montage used before the arson scene.

I feel infinite
post #89 of 96 Old 01-12-2010, 11:39 AM

The first time I watched the BD I wasn't impressed but gave it a second and third viewing and really like.

One thing though, subtitles do not usually phase me but with dialogue being almost another character in a Tarantino film I felt the use of subtitles for most of the film took away from the experience. His writing is so good (he is first and foremost a writer IMO ala True Romance) that it would have been nice to have the option to watch the film with English thru out so I could give full attention to both the visual and sound.

And Ralph you gotta see True Romance, my favorite all time movie.
post #90 of 96 Old 01-12-2010, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzpro5 View Post

The first time I watched the BD I wasn't impressed but gave it a second and third viewing and really like.

One thing though, subtitles do not usually phase me but with dialogue being almost another character in a Tarantino film I felt the use of subtitles for most of the film took away from the experience. His writing is so good (he is first and foremost a writer IMO ala True Romance) that it would have been nice to have the option to watch the film with English thru out so I could give full attention to both the visual and sound.

And Ralph you gotta see True Romance, my favorite all time movie.

Yeah, who cares about the acting
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Official AVS Forum® Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Tags
Blu Ray Movies , Inglourious Basterds Blu Ray

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page