AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/)
-   Official AVS Forum® Blu-ray Disc Reviews (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/187-official-avs-foruma-blu-ray-disc-reviews/)
-   -   Collateral (Blu-ray) Official AVSForum Review (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/187-official-avs-foruma-blu-ray-disc-reviews/1238893-collateral-blu-ray-official-avsforum-review.html)

Ralph Potts 03-29-2010 09:19 AM

attachment.php?attachmentid=171455&d=1269874755
The Review at a Glance: (max score: 5 )

Film: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

Extras: attachment.php?attachmentid=109944&d=1210373692

Audio/Video total rating:

( Max score: 100 )

Studio and Year: Paramount - 2004
MPAA Rating: R
Feature running time: 120 minutes
Genre: Crime/Thriller

Disc Format: BD-50
Encoding: AVC (MPEG-4)
Video Aspect: 2.35:1
Resolution: 1080p/24

Audio Format(s): English DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio, French/Spanish Dolby Digital 5.1
Subtitles: English SDH, English, French, Spanish, Portuguese
Starring: Tom Cruise, Jamie Foxx, Mark Ruffalo, Jada Pinkett-Smith, Peter Berg, Bruce McGill, Javier Bardem
Directed by: Michael Mann
Music by: James Newton Howard
Written by: Stuart Beattie
Region Code: A

Blu-ray Disc release Date: March 30, 2010

"It started like any other night"

Film Synopsis:

Vincent (Tom Cruise) is a cool, calculating, contract killer at the top of his game. Max (Jamie Foxx) is a hapless cabbie with big dreams and little to show for it. Now, Max has to transport Vincent on his next job – one night, five stops, five hits and a getaway. And after this fateful night, neither man will ever be the same again. Tonight everything is changing…

My Take:

There is no denying that Michael Mann is a capable director that knows how to handle action, suspense, and engaging thrills. These are three of the key ingredients in 2004‘s Collateral, a gripping crime thriller that grabs you early on and doesn’t let go until the curtain drops. I haven’t seen it in a long time and looked forward to revisiting it when I received the press release announcing it was coming to Blu-ray Disc. Its intelligently scripted, fervently paced and features evolving and well drawn characters in Vincent and Max. These are seemingly two very different men however as the film plays out it becomes evident that perhaps their differences aren’t as vast as it would seem. The cold calculating Vincent has an agenda that must be met. He is methodical, exacting, and seems impervious to feelings of empathy. Max is honest, hardworking, and diligent. Max is a man with a plan who has been moonlighting as a cab driver in LA for 12 years in order to open his own limo company. He is meticulous, exacting and empathic. His knack for being good at what he does is exactly what draws Vincent to him. Vincent is also good at what he does, which for the past 6 years has been carrying out contract killings. This night he has come to LA for the purpose of disposing of five targets in a high profile federal drug case. Using a cab driver to drive him from one place to the next (as he takes out each target), isn’t unlike an MO he has used in the past. The difference tonight is that he failed to realize early on that Max was unlike any cab driver he has encountered. It is interesting to watch the interplay between Max and Vincent unfold as they slowly develop a connection that is followed by a bit of role reversal. Max’s scene in the nightclub with Felix (played to brief perfection by Javier Bardem) is superbly enacted and executed. Prior to that we get to see another side of Vincent as he gives Max a tips on dealing with an overbearing boss, and managing his hospitalized mother with whom Max has a strained relationship. Ultimately it is the discussions that they have while traveling in the cab that offer the most substance as both men begin to understand what makes the other tick. Character development is excellent and essential to the credibility of the events that follow. Whether you like Tom Cruise or not there is no denying that he gives one of his best performances as the unpredictable sociopath Vincent. I had seen Jamie Foxx in a number of films prior to this but this is the one that made me stand up and take notice of the fact that he could pull of a starring role. The film’s compression of time is wonderfully balanced as the level of suspense slowly builds throughout the night. There is involving action to keep the adrenaline flowing, and the subtle infusion of drama and levity is expertly integrated. Strong supporting turns by Mark Ruffalo and Jada Pinkett-Smith help to solidify the story’s strong elements while offsetting the primary focus on Crusie/Foxx. As it draws closer to the climax we get to see Max and Vincent at their best as they face off in a life or death struggle that intertwines their fates. The result is a skillfully executed thriller that entices with top notch performances, apt direction, and engaging storytelling. It is a personal favorite that I find holds up extremely well under repeat viewings and I am stoked to add it to my Blu-ray library.

Parental Guide:

The rating is for violence and language.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100 / EXCELLENT = 83-91 / GOOD = 74-82 / AVERAGE = 65-73 / BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

Audio: 80

• Dynamics: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373699

• Low frequency extension: attachment.php?attachmentid=109945&d=1210373692

• Surround Sound presentation: attachment.php?attachmentid=109945&d=1210373699

• Clarity/Detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

• Dialogue Reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

Video: 80

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Resolution/Clarity: attachment.php?attachmentid=109945&d=1210373692

• Black level/Shadow detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Color reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Fleshtones: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Compression: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

Collateral comes to Blu-ray Disc from Paramount/Dreamworks featuring 1080p AVC encoded video that has an average bitrate of 32mbps and lossless DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio sound that has an average bitrate of 4.1 mbps.

By design this film doesn’t boast vibrant colors are eye popping visuals but the encoding appears solid. Colors have a muted level of saturation and those used are rarely bright which give the perception of a limited palette. Overall they are naturally rendered and appear to fall within the visual range intended. Fleshtones have appreciable complexional distinction but the lighting used can sometimes leave them appearing flat and lacking in texture. Blacks are respectable with above average delineation. Shadow detail is good which enhances visual perception during the many scenes shot at night and in limited lighting. Resolution is adequate so that varying degrees of detail can be seen in close ups but the video isn’t razor sharp or dimensionally strong. It also isn’t very bright which when coupled along with the drab colors gives it a dull finish. Grain is prevalent with stronger emphasis in some darker backgrounds which can make it appear uneven at times. This presentation seems to coincide with the creative decisions of the filmmakers and results in stable imagery that lacks the eye popping definition that some may expect from a newer film. The DTS-HD Master Audio soundtrack features clear dialogue, snappy dynamics and a subtle surround sound mix. The is a front focused audio presentation that implements both spatial and discrete directional sounds to occasionally broaden the soundstage. This worked hand in hand with film’s music and thematic elements to build tension and help drive the story.

Bonus Features:

• Commentary with director Michael Mann

• City of night: The making of Collateral - 41 minutes

• Special delivery - 1 minute hidden camera feature where Tom Cruise poses as a Fed Ex delivery man

• Deleted scene with commentary

• Shooting on location: Annie‘s office - 2 minute featurette

• Tom Cruise and Jamie Foxx rehearse - 4 minutes

• Visual FX: MTA Train - 2 minute look at how this sequence was shot

• (HD) Theatrical and Teaser trailers

Final Thoughts:

Collateral is a highly entertaining crime thriller that combines strong storytelling, excellent direction, resonating excitement/suspense, and terrific performances from co-stars Tom Cruise and Jamie Foxx. It comes to Blu-ray Disc from Paramount/Dreamworks delivering faithful audio/video quality and the same special features package found on the 2004 DVD release. From a technical standpoint this isn’t the type of film that will engage with eye popping visuals and room filling surround sound however its strength rests in the quality of its engaging script and strong filmmaking. It is a personal favorite that is well worth checking out if you have never seen it. Recommended.

attachment.php?attachmentid=109949&d=1210373731

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS20 1080p High Definition Front Projector (Calibrated by Jeff Meier)
Stewart Filmscreen - Studiotek 130 G3 100” 16x9 Screen
Anthem AVM50v THX Ultra 2 Preamp/Video Processor
Sherbourn Technologies - 7/200 Seven Channel Amplifier
Oppo BDP-83 Universal disc/Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Toshiba HD-XA2 HD DVD Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Sony Playstation 3 Blu-ray disc Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Oppo 970HD universal disc DVD Player (480i HDMI)
Philips TSU9400 Pro Series Touch Panel Remote Control
Canton "Ergo" Series speakers
Axiom Audio QS8 Quadpolar speakers
SV Sound PB-13 Ultra (Rosenut finish)
APC AV S15BLK Power Conditioner/Surge Protector
Furman SPR-20i Stable Power Regulator
Wireworld, VizionWare, Audioquest, Best Deal Cables - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
Cool Components - CP-CP102 cooling package

Ripeer 03-29-2010 10:00 AM

Please, less focus on what the movie is about.
More focus on the tecnical aspects of the movie/blu-ray

RemoWilliams84 03-29-2010 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripeer View Post

I think this is a perfect place for both aspects. I had never heard of the movie and enjoyed reading the plot. Now adding it to my netflix list.

goonstopher 03-29-2010 11:02 AM

23 Attachment(s)
I have been waiting for this movie for literally years.

It has a cool factor that few movies surpass. I wish the sound had come out a bit more robust but it is still a first day purchase for me.

5150zx 03-29-2010 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripeer View Post

Who pissed in your Cheerios this morning. Ralph talks about the technical aspects of both Video and Audio here as he does in ALL his reviews. He also talks about the movie/story itself. IT'S A MOVIE REVIEW!!!
Please enlighten us as to what SPECIFICALLY you'd like Ralph (and Lee) to do instead?? Don't simply throw out a criticism. Thanks.

goonstopher 03-29-2010 11:11 AM

23 Attachment(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RemoWilliams84 View Post

I think this is a perfect place for both aspects. I had never heard of the movie and enjoyed reading the plot. Now adding it to my netflix list.

Wow, never heard of it. You are lucky you read this then IMO.

Just a cool movie. Doesn't blow you away with a wow factor but definitely something worth experiencing. I am not alone in waiting for this movie, it has been one of the more anticipated releases by fans and was long overdue.

dropzone7 03-29-2010 01:35 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Yo homie, is that my briefcase?

Jarrod_38 03-29-2010 06:53 PM

I cannot wait till I get this. Personally my favorite Tom Cruise movie.

oland 03-29-2010 07:51 PM

Day one purchase for me! Thanks for the review, Ralph.

Filmmaker 03-29-2010 08:01 PM

Yikes...only 80 for audio? Those gunshots should make you pee your pants...is that not the case?

goonstopher 03-29-2010 08:03 PM

23 Attachment(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Filmmaker View Post

Yikes...only 80 for audio? Those gunshots should make you pee your pants...is that not the case?

Agree. that club scene had such potential

chirpie 03-29-2010 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goonstopher View Post

Agree. that club scene had such potential

That's EXACTLY the scene I was thinking. Best gun shots I've ever heard in my room on DVD.

Ralph Potts 03-30-2010 05:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filmmaker View Post

Greetings,

Yes, great scene to be sure. The dynamic range in this one is good and things open up nicely where appropriate. There is nothing wrong with scoring an 80..

Regards,

Doom878 03-30-2010 06:24 AM

What a disappointment in video. I remember when this movie came out in theatres how I read about the camera equipment used that was above average at the time. It was beautiful in the big screen and the lighting at night was very clear. I think even one reviewer called it a love letter to late night Los Angeles. I don't know the technical aspects but did anyone else read this?

JamE55 03-30-2010 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dropzone7 View Post

Hot daaaamn...best scene evaar!!!! Actually had to repeat this specific scene at least 30x's! lol!

Collect!!

Cheers

goonstopher 03-30-2010 10:51 AM

23 Attachment(s)
I called every store and cant find it and no one heard about it coming out...?

f300v10 03-30-2010 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamE55 View Post

Hot daaaamn...best scene evaar!!!! Actually had to repeat this specific scene at least 30x's! lol!

Collect!!

Cheers

A great scene indeed, Cruise handles that gun like a real pro. Can't wait for this one, and Netflix just shipped it. Thanks for the review Ralph.

robertc88 03-30-2010 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goonstopher View Post

I called every store and cant find it and no one heard about it coming out...?

Every Best Buy location within 25 miles of me has it in stock. Just go on the website and utilize your zip code to find out. I cannot speak for your vicinity though, maybe the shipments there were delayed perhaps if you cannot locate it but I'd find that rather strange since we aren't far apart.

Netflix shipped this yesterday to me. I'll have it tonight and I'm anxious to watch this movie again as it has been awhile.

dan4081 03-30-2010 05:15 PM

Quote:

My favorite Tom Cruise scene in any movie I've seen him in.

goonstopher 03-30-2010 06:20 PM

23 Attachment(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertc88 View Post

Every Best Buy location within 25 miles of me has it in stock. Just go on the website and utilize your zip code to find out. I cannot speak for your vicinity though, maybe the shipments there were delayed perhaps if you cannot locate it but I'd find that rather strange since we aren't far apart.

Netflix shipped this yesterday to me. I'll have it tonight and I'm anxious to watch this movie again as it has been awhile.

Chalk it up to stupid employees. Got it at wallmart for 19.98

JamE55 03-31-2010 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by f300v10 View Post

A great scene indeed, Cruise handles that gun like a real pro. Can't wait for this one, and Netflix just shipped it. Thanks for the review Ralph.

No flinch and no hesitation on clipping those two fools who tried to steal his briefcase and he was in a suit too!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QCA2ZNDa-hQ

chillspace 03-31-2010 01:37 PM

I personally would've rated the video higher. It suffers from no black crush, shadow details are excellent and it was one of the first films to be filmed using HD digital cameras. I liked that the grain was preserved which is very much Michael Mann's style. See "Public Enemies" and you'll see how he expands on that style of cinematography. One of the best looking catalog titles to come out in recent memory.

Eric

dropzone7 03-31-2010 02:07 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan4081 View Post

My favorite Tom Cruise scene in any movie I've seen him in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamE55 View Post

Collect!!

Cheers

For anyone interested, the scene in question is a Hollywood stylized version of this particular fighting style. Highly recommended.

http://www.kravmaga.com/

capnvid 03-31-2010 10:50 PM

I had been waiting for "Collateral" on Blu-Ray for years. The disc quality and sound do the film justice. Tom Cruise was never better than he is in this and he gets more striking everytime I see it. The gunfight in the club is everything the other posts claim it to be. There are also standout small roles by Mark Ruffalo and Javier ("Friendo!") Bardem. A clerk at a New York "Best Buy" found it for me when I couldn't locate it in the usual spots. I shook his hand. If you love movies and Blu-Ray, this is one to buy!

Doom878 04-01-2010 06:40 AM

Yeah Ruffalo was great in the movie too. He's a good actor when he's not a whiny dude in a chick flick.

Daniel Eddy 04-01-2010 09:15 PM

I can not wait to pick this up on Blu-ray. This is one of my favorite movies. The first time I saw this on DVD, I nearly messed my pants when the body fell on the cab.

sunnybill 04-02-2010 01:20 AM

llep64 04-03-2010 09:38 PM

2 Attachment(s)
good movie, just got it!!

geocab 04-06-2010 04:27 PM

Quote:

Definitely one of my favorite scenes of all-time. Glad I picked this one up!

Franin 04-08-2010 10:38 AM

4 Attachment(s)
Fantastic film! Glad I bought this.