The Slammin' Salmon (Blu-ray) Official AVSForum Review - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 04-18-2010, 09:50 AM - Thread Starter
Mod & Bluray Reviewer

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked: 483
attachment.php?attachmentid=173226&d=1271550191
The Review at a Glance: ( max score: 5 )

Film: attachment.php?attachmentid=109944&d=1210373697

Extras: attachment.php?attachmentid=109943&d=1210373697

Audio/Video total rating:

( Max score: 100 )

Studio and Year: Anchor Bay Films- 2009
MPAA Rating: NR
Feature running time: 98 minutes
Genre: Comedy

Disc Format: BD-25
Encoding: VC1 (MPEG-4)
Video Aspect: 1:78.1
Resolution: 1080p/24

Audio Format(s): English PCM 5.1, English Dolby Digital 5.1
Subtitles: English SDH, Spanich
Starring: Michael Clarke Duncan, Jay Chandrasekhar, Kevin Heffernan, Steve Lemme, Paul Soter, Erik Stolhanske, Lance Henriksen, Vivica A. Fox, Morgan Fairchild.
Directed by: Kevin Heffernan
Music by: Nathan Barr & Joel J. Richard
Written by: Broken Lizard (Jay Chandrasekhar, Kevin Heffernan, Steve Lemme, Paul Soter, Erik Stolhanske)
Region Code: A

Blu-ray Disc release Date: April 13, 2010

"Bring a bib, it's gonna get messy"

Film Synopsis:

In the latest comedy from Broken Lizard, (the creators of Supertroopers and Beerfest) "Slammin" Cleon Salmon (Michael Clarke Duncan) is a former Heavyweight Champion of the World turned celebrity owner of a high end Miami seafood restaurant, The Slammin‘ Salmon. A terrifying bull of a man, Salmon uses fear to rule over his misfit waitstaff.

My Take:

The Slammin' Salmon is the latest inside joke from 'Broken Lizard', the 5 man comedy troupe who have brought us such *uhuum* classics as SuperTroopers, Beerfest and Club Dread. A simple premise, when Restaurant owner and Ex-Heavyweight Champ "Slammin" Cleon Salmon (Michael Clarke Duncan) finds himself owing the Japanese Yakuza twenty thousand dollars he turns to his pseudo-upscale seafood restaurant as a way out. He tells his manager to make the restaurant earn a record breaking 20k that evening or else! The wait staff is promised more and more extravagant prizes to whomever sells to most that evening. The game is on and you guessed it...all bets are off as they all try to outdo and one-up each other all evening long.

It's apparent that the 'Broken Lizard' boys have done their time working in the food service industry as a lot of the jokes really do ring true. My wife (a chef) and I did find the first hour or so of the The Slammin' Salmon really quite funny; unfortunately the last act was where things started to feel a bit stretched out. Smart jokes mixed will with the boy's normal raunchy humor, it had me in stitches on a few occasions. I do feel a very limited audience can get into this as it's not a comedy that will appeal to the masses. 30 somethings and food service industry workers will get the most mileage out of the satire 'Broken Lizard' has conjured up here. Michael Clarke Duncan (The Green Mile) was great as "Slammin" Cleon Salmon and he stole the move in the scenes he was in; but alas, this was a vehicle for the 5 funny 'Broken Lizard' boys. If you dug their previous flicks you will certainly like this one (it's a far cry better than Club Dread), for all others it depends on whether or not you are in on this inside joke...I was.

Parental Guide:

Rated R – For Pervasive Language and Sexual References.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100 / EXCELLENT = 83-91 / GOOD = 74-82 / AVERAGE = 65-73 / BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

Audio: 84

• Dynamics: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373694

• Low frequency extension: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373698

• Surround Sound presentation: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373697

• Clarity/Detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373697

• Dialogue Reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373697

Video: 80

• Resolution/Clarity: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373697

• Black level/Shadow detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

• Color reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373698

• Fleshtones: attachment.php?attachmentid=109945&d=1210373698

• Compression: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373696

The Slammin' Salmon comes to Blu-ray Disc from Anchor Bay Home Entertainment featuring 1080p VC1 encoded video that has an Average bitrate of 21 mbps and lossless PCM sound that has an average bitrate of 2 mbps.

The Slammin' Salmon looks like a comedy. Over-saturated colors, warm Flesh-tones and a bit of exaggeration on the lighting, reminiscent of a TV Sitcom. Not that this is bad, but its not going to give the Blu-ray community an additional reason to run out a grab this little known release. The black levels are sufficient and detail is not lost in shadows. There is a bit of grain to be seen but the fine details are lacking. There are occasions where textures and pores are visible but most of the time there is a bit of gloss over those types of details (DNR??). The audio is well mixed, everything has its proper place in the sound-stage and it is tonally balanced. If there was more going on to utilize the surround and LFE I assume this would have easily commanded a higher score for audio. The Slammin' Salmon is well above average in the A/V department, it just seemed a bit restrained by its source.

Bonus Features:

• Commentary with Writer/Director Kevin Heffernan and Writer/Actor Steve Lemme

• Commentary with Writer's/Actor's Jay Chandrasekhar, Paul Soter, and Erik Stolhanske

• (HD) Hellish Kitchen: Art Imitates Restaurant Life

• (HD) Trailer

Final Thoughts:

The Slammin' Salmon is a decent comedy, especially compared to the normal drivel we see in the low-budget raunchy comedy genre these days. It has a more intelligent spin on things, especially when it comes to the dirtier jokes. The Broken Lizard boys never seem to hit a home run, but there are always worthy of playing the game. Combined with a quite passable A/V presentation and 2 different (and both listen-able) commentary tracks, I can easily recommend a rental when your que is running low.

attachment.php?attachmentid=157497&d=1257542613

Lee Weber
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS35 1080p High Definition Front Projector (Calibrated by Jeff Meier)
Custom 1.3 Gain 128" 2.37:1 CinemaScope Screen
Pioneer SC27 Receiver (Calibrated by Jeff Meier)
Pioneer Elite BDP-23FD Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Triangle Zerius Speakers (7.1)
SVS PC13-Ultra Subwoofer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 04-19-2010, 09:31 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I thought this movie was great, its a shame no one is paying any attention to it. I found it to be much better than Beerfest.
post #3 of 3 Old 04-20-2010, 07:55 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I thought this movie was hilarious. I think mostly because I have worked in the food service industry.

Thanks for the review. I agree that it's worth a rent, especially if you're a fan of Broken Lizard at all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Official AVS Forum® Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Tags
The Slammin Salmon Blu Ray

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page